Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    sabretooth is offline MotownSports Fan

I certainly hope that the Tigers aren't stupid enough to make player-personnel decisions based on 100-at-bat splits of positional hitting.
    Introibo ad altare Dei

2013 AAT: Jim Price

pyrotigers is offline MotownSports Fan

I hope they're stupid enough to make it based on the 'game 1 of the world series' sample size
    Kobernoooooous

Nastradamus is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by STLTiger69 View Post
    DeJesus signed with the Cubs on November 30, 2011

Willingham signed with the Twins on December 15, 2011

Victor Martinez injury occured on January 17th, 2012

Here's Delmon Young's career splits;

I Split G AB HR RBI BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS
    as LF 534 2053 56 308 97 375 .284 .320 .432 .752
    as RF 159 639 13 83 24 125 .290 .318 .415 .732
    as DH 138 540 17 76 21 100 .269 .295 .404 .699

Provided by Baseball-Reference.com: View Original Table
    Generated 10/24/2012.

Here's Delmon Young's 2012 season splits;

Split G AB HR RBI BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS
    as LF 30 110 5 15 3 22 .300 .336 .518 .854
    as DH 118 461 13 59 17 88 .260 .287 .388 .675

Generated 10/24/2012.
    I guess you didn't read my post.

catswithbats is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by STLTiger69 View Post
    DeJesus signed with the Cubs on November 30, 2011

Willingham signed with the Twins on December 15, 2011

Victor Martinez injury occured on January 17th, 2012

Here's Delmon Young's career splits;

I Split G AB HR RBI BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS
    as LF 534 2053 56 308 97 375 .284 .320 .432 .752
    as RF 159 639 13 83 24 125 .290 .318 .415 .732
    as DH 138 540 17 76 21 100 .269 .295 .404 .699

Generated 10/24/2012.

Here's Delmon Young's 2012 season splits;

Split G AB HR RBI BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS
    as LF 30 110 5 15 3 22 .300 .336 .518 .854
    as DH 118 461 13 59 17 88 .260 .287 .388 .675

Generated 10/24/2012.
    What does when DeJesus and Willingham signed/when VMart's injury occurred have anything to do with non-tendering Young after the 2011 season and signing DeJesus or Willingham? Or VMart's injury, for that matter?
    Adopt-a-Tiger 2014: José Ortega

Walkoff Woodward | Cats With Bats | walkoffwoodward | catswithbats

tiger337 is offline MotownSports Writer

Don't blame Delmon. This is perhaps the dumbest quote I've ever heard from an athlete:

Detroit Tigers' Delmon Young: Offense not to blame in Game 1 loss to San Francisco Giants | MLive.com
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

"They can use both (old- and new-school statistics)," Cabrera said. "In 2012, we've got to take advantage of all that.

will the thrill is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by tiger337 View Post
    Don't blame Delmon. This is perhaps the dumbest quote I've ever heard from an athlete:

Detroit Tigers' Delmon Young: Offense not to blame in Game 1 loss to San Francisco Giants | MLive.com
    If these quotes don't find the guy a new place to play next year, nothing will. This article is filled with "i really don't care" comments

"I knew it was gone off the bat," he said. "I just had to give the courtesy jog."

"The offense?" Young said. "We were down 4-0 quick, so you can't blame the offense."

"We were out of the game before we had our second at-bat," Young said. "Didn’t matter if we had two months off or we played yesterday. They were up 4-0 quick."

"I don't know," Young said. "We don't have a left-handed BP thrower. … We don't see lefties every day. We see a lot of right-handed pitching all throughout the year. Most people who play baseball are right-handed. Lefties are unique. It doesn't matter what velocity they throw, they'll always have a job for you as a left-handed pitcher.

How damn hard is it to find a lefty to throw BP?
    Put me on record. Prince Fielder will still OPS 850+ in years 7-8-9 of this contract. (sucks that my signature has to stay this for 7 years now)

Yoda is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Stop hating Delmon just because he called some guy a name.
    Up above, aliens hover, making home movies for the folks back home.
    Facebook

Casimir is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Stop hating Delmon just because he called some guy a name.
    Can I hate him because he's lousy at his craft?

Euphdude is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Casimir View Post
    Can I hate him because he's lousy at his craft?
    I dislike him because he seems like he's a jerk and he's not a very good baseball player.

Casimir is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Euphdude View Post
    I dislike him because he seems like he's a jerk and he's not a very good baseball player.
    Yeah, there really isn't a whole lot to like there.

It boggles my mind. There are opinions abound that Young is a high quality ball player while Bumgarner is a crappy pitcher. Yet readily available statistics reveal both opinions as false. I don't get it.

stanpapi is offline MotownSports Fan

A rapid-fire exchange between a media member and Young helped assess the current state of the Tigers.

Question: What was the big difference tonight?
    Young: "They scored two. We didn't score at all."
    Question: Why?
    Young: "Because they found ways to get the guys home."
    Question: What do you guys have to do to make that happen?
    Young: "Win."

Quote Originally Posted by will the thrill View Post
    If these quotes don't find the guy a new place to play next year, nothing will. This article is filled with "i really don't care" comments

"I knew it was gone off the bat," he said. "I just had to give the courtesy jog."

"The offense?" Young said. "We were down 4-0 quick, so you can't blame the offense."

"We were out of the game before we had our second at-bat," Young said. "Didn’t matter if we had two months off or we played yesterday. They were up 4-0 quick."

"I don't know," Young said. "We don't have a left-handed BP thrower. … We don't see lefties every day. We see a lot of right-handed pitching all throughout the year. Most people who play baseball are right-handed. Lefties are unique. It doesn't matter what velocity they throw, they'll always have a job for you as a left-handed pitcher.

Just went back and re-read these. He should be booted off the team for even thinking about saying this stuff. You don't have a left handed throwing BPP???? Frank Tanana lives in Farmington. Call him. But that's not the reason...maybe you just....suck.

Blog Entries

Anxiously awaiting the arrival of Delmon's defenders...
    Facebook

In all fairness, I would guess that the original question caught him off guard. Maybe I'm giving him too much credit, but it's hard to believe he would say those things if he had time to think about it. He doesn't seem to do the baseball cliche thing (which is refreshing in a a way) and probably just blurted out the first thing that came to his mind. It really came out sounding ridiculous though.
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

"They can use both (old- and new-school statistics)," Cabrera said. "In 2012, we've got to take advantage of all that.

Shelton is offline MotownSports Fan

I appreciate that delmon doesn't give stock quotes. I still don't like him or want him on the team, but at least e is honest.

I can't fault him for his response to those questions. The team struggles against lefties and idiot writers want some sort of explanation. The thing is, delmon is better against lefties, but he didn't say that. He tried to give them some reason because they asked for one.

Saying that lefty pitchers are tough, in general, is nothing new.

As for the 4-0 comment, he was right. The offense was in a huge a hole early. If you want to spread blame for the game 1 loss, it should fall solely on the pitching and bad luck. Te offense didn't do any favors, but when you are down 8-1 with one out to go, it is hardly the offense's fault. It's not as if they stopped trying to score runs, anyway. They just didn't.
    AAT: Ian Kinsler

John_Brian_K is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Casimir View Post
    Yeah, there really isn't a whole lot to like there.

It boggles my mind. There are opinions abound that Young is a high quality ball player while Bumgarner is a crappy pitcher. Yet readily available statistics reveal both opinions as false. I don't get it.
    8 RBI
    .876 OPS in the playoffs

What is so hard to understand? He has helped the team get this far.
    "And that is part of the larger pattern of the appeal of a new online collectivism that is nothing less than a resurgence of the idea that the collective is all-wise, that it is desirable to have influence concentrated in a bottleneck that can channel the collective with the most verity and force."

Young had an opportunity to put the Tigers in front when he came up in the first inning. I'm not blaming him for failing to do so, but it's kind of silly for him to say that that the offense was put in an early hole before they had a chance to do anything. This is the comment that struck me as most odd though: "We were out of the game before we had our second at-bat," That sounds like a game thread post. You never want to hear a player say the team was out of the game down 4-0 in the third inning.
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

Quote Originally Posted by tiger337 View Post
    Young had an opportunity to put the Tigers in front when he came up in the first inning. I'm not blaming him for failing to do so, but it's kind of silly for him to say that that the offense was put in an early hole before they had a chance to do anything. This is the comment that struck me as most odd though: "We were out of the game before we had our second at-bat," That sounds like a game thread post. You never want to hear a player say the team was out of the game down 4-0 in the third inning.
    Maybe Delmon was just speaking the truth. Maybe they think they really are out of it at 4-0 in the 3rd. In which case, the least painful approach would be for them to just lay down and be swept, then come back next year with some players with some more confidence in their game.

Quote Originally Posted by John_Brian_K View Post
    8 RBI
    .876 OPS in the playoffs

74 RBI
    .707 OPS in the regular season

What is so hard to understand? He didn't help the team make the playoffs to begin with.
    Kobernoooooous

Quote Originally Posted by stanpapi View Post
    Just went back and re-read these. He should be booted off the team for even thinking about saying this stuff. You don't have a left handed throwing BPP???? Frank Tanana lives in Farmington. Call him. But that's not the reason...maybe you just....suck.
    Frank can probably still sling it up there as hard as Zito too
    Put me on record. Prince Fielder will still OPS 850+ in years 7-8-9 of this contract. (sucks that my signature has to stay this for 7 years now)

Blog Entries

8 RBI
    .876 OPS in the playoffs

What you quoted, if you actually read it, questions Delmon being a quality player, not whether or not he's had a good postseason. We all watch the games. Lots of horrible players have had good postseasons in the past, it doesn't make them good players overall.
    Facebook

Antrat is offline MotownSports Fan

While there were some streaks where Delmon definitely was hot and helped the team win some games down the stretch, I would say that they were outweighed by the much longer stretches where he struck out or grounded into DPs(Or add any number of other ways he made outs), thereby hurting the Tigers' chances for the post season.
    He's not the only one on this team that falls into that category. Hence the 88 wins in a crappy division.
    AAT Joe Nathan
    Tigers-Cardinals 2014 WS. Book it.
    "The escalator isn't out of order. It's just temporarily stairs."

8 RBI
    .876 OPS in the playoffs

.300 .786 OPS

Don Kelly career in the playoffs, doesn't make him a good player

Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

STLTiger69 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by catswithbats View Post
    What does when DeJesus and Willingham signed/when VMart's injury occurred have anything to do with non-tendering Young after the 2011 season and signing DeJesus or Willingham? Or VMart's injury, for that matter?
    Dave Dombrowski and Tigers management decided too keep Young and non-tendering Young was not in the DD playbook. This did not change after Young's arrest in NY at the start of the season. The only time that the Tigers were serious about "adding a bat" was after V-Marts injury. We can speculate all off season what would have happened if Dombrowski would have non-tendered Young, or anyone else like Raburn, Boesch, Thomas, or cut Inge before the season started, etc, if you'd like to as well....but I'm just not sure why.

The bottom line is that the Tigers decided to cast their lot with Delmon Young for 2012 and only after the V-Mart injury did the Tigers contemplate getting "another bat". Until the injury the Tigers were ok with Young in LF and V-Mart as DH for 2012.
    “Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" until you can find a rock.” -Will Rogers

sabretooth is offline MotownSports Fan

Delmon certainly provided some great HR memories in th 2012 postseason.
    Introibo ad altare Dei

2013 AAT: Jim Price

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sabretooth View Post
    Delmon certainly provided some great HR memories in th 2012 postseason.
    That probably nobody will remember.
    Facebook

TheCouga is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by will the thrill View Post

I didn't find anything wrong with any of those quotes. Not all players are PR experts. He's just stating the obvious.
    Distribution of wealth is not in any way democratic. It is, in fact, tyrannical, in that a very select few own almost all of it, while most have little to no access. To have a country that prioritizes wealth over individual rights is the antithesis of democracy.

STLTiger69 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    That probably nobody will remember.
    I'm sure Yankee fans have a healthy fear of him,.... for several reasons......
    “Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" until you can find a rock.” -Will Rogers

Gehringer_2 is online now MotownSports Fan

[QUOTE=will the thrill;...

How damn hard is it to find a lefty to throw BP?[/QUOTE]

This is an area where I think baseball is just waiting for some team to wake up and start the next next new thing in team management/training.

Today's teams have up to a 100 million dollar (or more) investment in their hitters and you go watch the average MLB batting practice session and it looks like something set up for a little league team. A bunch of old guys soft tossing flat foot from 45 feet is the best you can do? For the price of a couple major league minimum contracts you could probably professionalize BP with arms and methods and who knows what you might get.
    'No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens

2014 AAT: Willy Adames
    2013 AAT: Javier Betancourt

Quote Originally Posted by Gehringer_2 View Post
    This is an area where I think baseball is just waiting for some team to wake up and start the next next new thing in team management/training.

Today's teams have up to a 100 million dollar (or more) investment in their hitters and you go watch the average MLB batting practice session and it looks like something set up for a little league team. A bunch of old guys soft tossing flat foot from 45 feet is the best you can do? For the price of a couple major league minimum contracts you could probably professionalize BP with arms and methods and who knows what you might get.
    Well now you're just talking crazy. Next a team might decide that bunting, intentionally walking, and batting low obp hitters at the top of the lineup are suboptimal strategies that should be avoided.
    Kobernoooooous

waffel is offline MotownSports Fan

Bye, Delmon

Last edited by waffel; 10-31-2012 at 10:29 AM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345