Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 321 to 360 of 588
  1. #321
    alwaysthrowheat's Avatar
    alwaysthrowheat is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    4,203

    Default




    Quote Originally Posted by Euphdude View Post
    That and he doesn't take any walks -- he's a prototypical Tigers hitting prospect!
    Not true. He did the same thing last year in WM at the beginning, and ended up with a 8% walk rate. He also had a 9.1% walk rate at Lakeland.

    In his minor league career he has 86 walks in 1014 PA. That's an 8.5% walk rate, which is just fine.

  2. #322
    Euphdude's Avatar
    Euphdude is online now MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Davison, MI
    Posts
    9,555
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alwaysthrowheat View Post
    Not true. He did the same thing last year in WM at the beginning, and ended up with a 8% walk rate. He also had a 9.1% walk rate at Lakeland.

    In his minor league career he has 86 walks in 1014 PA. That's an 8.5% walk rate, which is just fine.
    You are correct. I'm under the (perhaps false) assumption the Tigers are not a "plate discipline" organization, so I tend to believe their minor league hitters are all instructed to be "free swingers".

  3. #323
    pyrotigers's Avatar
    pyrotigers is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Wellston, Michigan
    Posts
    15,899

    Default

    I think that's true, but if an individual player has good plate discipline I doubt they beat it out of him. I worry about Castellanos walking at the MLB level, but if he hits .300 with some power he won't have to walk too much to be a very good player, so hopefully it will work out.
    Kobernoooooous

  4. #324
    alwaysthrowheat's Avatar
    alwaysthrowheat is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    4,203

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pyrotigers View Post
    I think that's true, but if an individual player has good plate discipline I doubt they beat it out of him. I worry about Castellanos walking at the MLB level, but if he hits .300 with some power he won't have to walk too much to be a very good player, so hopefully it will work out.
    I don't really worry about him walking. Plate discipline is something that can be accrued at the MLB level. An 8-9% walk rate for a 19-20 Y/O playing in A ball is pretty good.

  5. #325
    Yoda's Avatar
    Yoda is online now MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    59,234
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    I really think once he fills out more he's going to hitting the ball so hard that OBP won't really be an issue.
    Up above, aliens hover, making home movies for the folks back home.
    Facebook

  6. #326
    DaYooperASBDT's Avatar
    DaYooperASBDT is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    WHAT-IFS-VILLE
    Posts
    53,728
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Walks? You have to hit your way off the Island. Oh wait he is from Fort Lauderdale. Well, he could SEE water.
    2014 Adopt A Tiger: Casey Crosby
    These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... Morons.
    VT

  7. #327
    irvink's Avatar
    irvink is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,982

    Default

    Some Henning speculation...


    Lynn G. Henning ‏@Lynn_Henning
    Castellanos, 3 more hits Sunday. Tigers choice: Ariz. Fall League AND winter ball as he prepares for 2013 look in OF? Needs maximum work.

    Generating a response from Keith Law...

    keithlaw ‏@keithlaw
    @Lynn_Henning just my two cents, but 30+ games in AFL would be plenty. Adding winter league to that risks overworking him.

    Lynn G. Henning ‏@Lynn_Henning
    Agree with @keithlaw about Castellanos/AFL/winter ball. Tigers won't do it. He's 20, needs gym time more than a taxing winter-ball stint.
    Last edited by irvink; 07-30-2012 at 02:11 PM.

  8. #328
    Gehringer_2's Avatar
    Gehringer_2 is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Tiger country
    Posts
    26,873

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by irvink View Post
    Some Henning speculation...


    Lynn G. Henning ‏@Lynn_Henning
    Castellanos, 3 more hits Sunday. Tigers choice: Ariz. Fall League AND winter ball as he prepares for 2013 look in OF? Needs maximum work.

    Generating a response from Keith Law...

    keithlaw ‏@keithlaw
    @Lynn_Henning just my two cents, but 30+ games in AFL would be plenty. Adding winter league to that risks overworking him.

    Lynn G. Henning ‏@Lynn_Henning
    Agree with @keithlaw about Castellanos/AFL/winter ball. Tigers won't do it. He's 20, needs gym time more than a taxing winter-ball stint.
    Boy that Lynn Henning - certainly a man of firm convictions!
    'No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens

    2014 AAT: WXXXy AXXXXs/Ezequiell Carrera
    2013 AAT: Javier Betancourt

  9. #329
    davidsb's Avatar
    davidsb is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    NE Indiana
    Posts
    4,143

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by irvink View Post
    Some Henning speculation...


    Lynn G. Henning ‏@Lynn_Henning
    Castellanos, 3 more hits Sunday. Tigers choice: Ariz. Fall League AND winter ball as he prepares for 2013 look in OF? Needs maximum work.

    Generating a response from Keith Law...

    keithlaw ‏@keithlaw
    @Lynn_Henning just my two cents, but 30+ games in AFL would be plenty. Adding winter league to that risks overworking him.

    Lynn G. Henning ‏@Lynn_Henning
    Agree with @keithlaw about Castellanos/AFL/winter ball. Tigers won't do it. He's 20, needs gym time more than a taxing winter-ball stint.
    Lynn G. Henning ‏@Lynn_Henning
    Castellanos, 3 more hits Sunday. Tigers choice: Ariz. Fall League AND winter ball as he prepares for 2013 look in OF? Needs maximum work.

    Generating a response from Keith Law...

    keithlaw ‏@keithlaw
    @Lynn_Henning just my two cents, but you are a hack.

    Lynn G. Henning ‏@Lynn_Henning
    Agree with @keithlaw I am a hack


  10. #330
    RobSk's Avatar
    RobSk is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    In Ann Arbor but not of it
    Posts
    4,181

    Default

    I've been doing it for years, and I'll do it again- I like Lynn Henning. He's actually willing to learn about the game. He writes in detail about baseball, and I love that. I agree, sometimes he does a poor job of separating speculation from reporting, but damn it, in a world filled with Drew Sharp/Bob Wojonowski/Mike Valenti, Lynn Henning actually LIKES sports, and writes about the ACTUAL sport, and at a level deeper than "Will the Tigers win a World Series? No? Then THEY SUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKK".

    Rob
    VT
    "A room without books is like a body without a soul."
    - G.K. Chesterton

  11. #331
    Yoda's Avatar
    Yoda is online now MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    59,234
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RobSk View Post
    I've been doing it for years, and I'll do it again- I like Lynn Henning. He's actually willing to learn about the game. He writes in detail about baseball, and I love that. I agree, sometimes he does a poor job of separating speculation from reporting, but damn it, in a world filled with Drew Sharp/Bob Wojonowski/Mike Valenti, Lynn Henning actually LIKES sports, and writes about the ACTUAL sport, and at a level deeper than "Will the Tigers win a World Series? No? Then THEY SUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKK".

    Rob
    I'm going to pull a Jake on Verlander here, but that's what frustrates me about Lynn. I agree he has a lot of passion for what he does. He COULD be very good at what he does. That's what makes all of the dumb things he says so damn frustrating. If they were coming from Rob Parker I wouldn't care. Lynn is better than that, but he continuously stoops to saying things simply for reaction, it seems.
    Up above, aliens hover, making home movies for the folks back home.
    Facebook

  12. #332
    TigersSlappy's Avatar
    TigersSlappy is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Luzerne - Home of Ma Deeters
    Posts
    10,023

    Default

    On working with Al Kaline on outfield play: “Not yet, but I know he’s coming. It means a lot, because I know they’re really serious about me being here if they’re going to go through all that to make sure that I’m prepared in right field.”

    Castellanos’ visit to Boston in quotes « Beck's Blog
    2014AAT-Buck Farmer 2013AAT-Mr Ilitch 2013 AAL-Nick Fairley 2012AAL-Willie Young 2012AAT-Dixon Machado 2011AAL-Tom "Killer" Kowalski 2011AAT-Heather Nabozny 2010AAT-Phil Coke 2008&2007AAT-Sergio Collado
    2007AT-AAT-Alan Trammell

  13. #333
    Yoda's Avatar
    Yoda is online now MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    59,234
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    On possibility of Arizona Fall League at end of season: “That’s a possibility. I’ve heard instructional league is a possibility. I’ve heard if we make the postseason and I keep hitting off lefties, I stay with the team into the postseason. So everything’s a possibility, and we’re just going to have to wait and see what happens.”
    This sounds like they've for sure decided on calling him up for September.
    Up above, aliens hover, making home movies for the folks back home.
    Facebook

  14. #334
    Walt's Avatar
    Walt is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Saint Paul, MN
    Posts
    11,429

    Default

    From twitter:
    Tony Paul ‏@TonyPaul1984
    Mike Trout, 20, is in MVP race. Bryce Harper, 19, is key cog to playoff-bound Nats. And Nick Castellanos, 20? He's at Double A. #notforlong
    It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. -Carl Sagan http://th07.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/...yx-d41sg12.png

  15. #335
    JAYB's Avatar
    JAYB is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    usa
    Posts
    2,059

    Default

    Bring him up already... Give the kid a shot. It cant be worse then what were getting now out of the DH and RF.
    GO TIGERS !!!
    2012 AAT : Jim Leyland

  16. #336
    Yoda's Avatar
    Yoda is online now MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    59,234
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    I don't want to see him up here yet. He needs to play every day and he's not ready to do that here. I'm fine with a September call-up where they can mostly use him against lefties.
    Up above, aliens hover, making home movies for the folks back home.
    Facebook

  17. #337
    chasfh's Avatar
    chasfh is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    60647
    Posts
    24,085

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    This sounds like they've for sure decided on calling him up for September.
    Or sooner? That might depend on what happens today. They missed out on Reed Johnson, so if they can't get another RH hitting OF today, they might fast track Nick.

  18. #338
    davidsb's Avatar
    davidsb is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    NE Indiana
    Posts
    4,143

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    This sounds like they've for sure decided on calling him up for September.
    He needs to be up before September 1st to be post-season eligible (I think).

  19. #339
    4hzglory's Avatar
    4hzglory is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Southern Michigan
    Posts
    3,279

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by davidsb View Post
    He needs to be up before September 1st to be post-season eligible (I think).
    As long is a position player is on the DL Aug 31, They can have him eligible for postseason play whether or not he is on the roster Sept 1. I'm not sure, but he may need to be on the 40-man roster by Sep 1 (although there was something with K-Rod when the Angels won the W.S. that makes me question even that - I don't remember the details though)
    Micah 7:7

  20. #340
    MDMAzing is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    home
    Posts
    1,296

    Default

    Ive never seen the kid play so im only going by his numbers, but is he the real deal or just really overhyped because we rarely have a position prospect that can actually contribute at the major league level??

    Is he even in the same realm as a harper or trout?

  21. #341
    4hzglory's Avatar
    4hzglory is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Southern Michigan
    Posts
    3,279

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MDMAzing View Post
    Ive never seen the kid play so im only going by his numbers, but is he the real deal or just really overhyped because we rarely have a position prospect that can actually contribute at the major league level??

    Is he even in the same realm as a harper or trout?
    I've never seen him play either, but I don't think anyone is saying he is close to Harper or Trout who have a chance to be (if Trout isn't already) 2 of the top 10 players in the game. I do think most think his bat is the real deal though and he is definitely one of the top prospects in baseball. By comparison Harper & Trout are some of the best prospects in the last 10 years.
    Micah 7:7

  22. #342
    Casimir is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    NW OH
    Posts
    13,019

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I don't want to see him up here yet. He needs to play every day and he's not ready to do that here. I'm fine with a September call-up where they can mostly use him against lefties.
    Since he is learning a new defensive position, I agree, it is best served to have him in Erie getting as many reps as possible. Erie's season ends with a 4 game series in Altoona Aug 31-Sep 3, so perhaps he plays as much RF as possible until then and gets pulled up to Detroit for a look see. I would imagine that that is a likely scenario for now, and his playing time overall in Detroit as well as whether it is in RF or DH will be determined by the Tigers' state (standings as well as whether the other DH/OF options).

  23. #343
    pyrotigers's Avatar
    pyrotigers is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Wellston, Michigan
    Posts
    15,899

    Default

    I'm not sure how much more a guy with a .791 OPS in AA and a 5/41 BB/K ratio is going to be able to contribute than any generic player the Tigers could trade for anyway.

    No need to rush him unless he's destroying the world.
    Kobernoooooous

  24. #344
    Turnbuckle's Avatar
    Turnbuckle is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Portage, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    787

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MDMAzing View Post
    Ive never seen the kid play so im only going by his numbers, but is he the real deal or just really overhyped because we rarely have a position prospect that can actually contribute at the major league level??

    Is he even in the same realm as a harper or trout?
    Very few players in the last 25 years have been on that level. You're talking the Bonds and Griffeys and Arods realm when you talk of Harper and Trout.

    That said, Nick's bat is very legit. I've heard a few scouts say he should be able to hit around the .300 mark with above average power, and more power as he keeps filling out but perhaps at the expense of some of his average. Defensively I don't think he's anything to write home about. He hasn't had many reps in the OF so I'm not sure how he even compares to Delmons and Boesch's of the world, but I would expect him to be much better than both with some more seasoning.

    I'd call him up just before the roster expansion in september and send down whichever DH/Corner fielder isn't producing as much as the other. That's extremely aggressive, but some young new blood would be exciting and he really should be the real deal.

  25. #345
    jonjd is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    7,422
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MDMAzing View Post

    Is he even in the same realm as a harper or trout?
    Absolutely not!! This place tends to overrate prospects BIG time. Although I'm hopeful that Castellanos can one day contribute and find some comfort against big league pitching, let's not forget that some folks actually thought that Roy Halladay was attainable for Cale freakin' Iorg and Galarraga.

    Some need to be patient. There are plenty of prospects who hit just as well as Castellanos near his age and fizzled out. The difference level of competiton between AA and ML is just staggering. Some haven't figured that out yet.
    Retired. Thanks for the entertainment.

  26. #346
    thefunk's Avatar
    thefunk is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Orange County
    Posts
    14,884

    Default

    You can say all that same stuff without being completely condescending.

    This isn't the Tigers front office. It's an Internet message board, for Pete's sake. SOME people still haven't figured that out.
    GO TIGERS

  27. #347
    Eric Cioe's Avatar
    Eric Cioe is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Missoula, MT
    Posts
    21,029

    Default

    Harper and Trout and Castellanos in the same sentence?

    I would be thrilled with something like Corey Hart. The Tigers don't turn out prospects like that very often.
    "I can't say I'm pleased to see you and warn you I may have to do something about it." Knut Hamsun

  28. #348
    Casimir is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    NW OH
    Posts
    13,019

    Default

    Castellanos may be getting overrated, but who's ABs would he be taking? Delmon's? Boesch's? Is there any reason to not be optimistic about 2012 Delmon Boesch losing ABs?

  29. #349
    will the thrill is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Jackson
    Posts
    2,973

    Default

    think about it this way, rumors abound that other GMs have asked for Nick in trade talks, nobody EVER even thought Harper or Trout in any trade talks, different level of prospect.
    Put me on record. Prince Fielder will still OPS 850+ in years 7-8-9 of this contract. (sucks that my signature has to stay this for 7 years now)

  30. #350
    Yoda's Avatar
    Yoda is online now MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    59,234
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jonjd View Post
    Absolutely not!! This place tends to overrate prospects BIG time. Although I'm hopeful that Castellanos can one day contribute and find some comfort against big league pitching, let's not forget that some folks actually thought that Roy Halladay was attainable for Cale freakin' Iorg and Galarraga.

    Some need to be patient. There are plenty of prospects who hit just as well as Castellanos near his age and fizzled out. The difference level of competiton between AA and ML is just staggering. Some haven't figured that out yet.
    Nobody in "this place" has said that hes anywhere close to that level. Theres no need to be a douche.

    I'm sticking to my earlier comparison of a Magglio-esque type of hitter.
    Up above, aliens hover, making home movies for the folks back home.
    Facebook

  31. #351
    sabretooth's Avatar
    sabretooth is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Kalamazoo
    Posts
    12,300

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MDMAzing View Post
    Ive never seen the kid play so im only going by his numbers, but is he the real deal or just really overhyped because we rarely have a position prospect that can actually contribute at the major league level??

    Is he even in the same realm as a harper or trout?
    Let's talk about hitting, because fielding-wise there's no comparing a guy like Nick who is being moved from 3B to RF in AA, versus Harper and Trout, who are both holding down CF in the bigs at a capable level.

    Hitting wise, I've seen Nick play in person 3 times, for what that's worth, 2 games at the end of 2011 and a game this year. He hit a HR in two of those games, so yeah, he looked pretty damn good in those particular games. One was an opposite-field shot, the other a laser to left field. Despite his low-walk rate at AA so far, he is pretty patient and attacks with a very nice swing.

    Based on the numbers, I think Nick will hit for a higher average and with more power than Harper, might not walk as much....Trout seems like a much more complete hitter than the other two...I don't see Nick in Trout's class in any phase of the game, frankly....
    Introibo ad altare Dei

    2013 AAT: Jim Price

  32. #352
    sabretooth's Avatar
    sabretooth is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Kalamazoo
    Posts
    12,300

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pyrotigers View Post
    I'm not sure how much more a guy with a .791 OPS in AA and a 5/41 BB/K ratio is going to be able to contribute than any generic player the Tigers could trade for anyway.

    No need to rush him unless he's destroying the world.
    This is my take at this point...Nick is a very fine talent as a hitter but he's raw and needs some time. Harper and Trout should not even enter into the conversation...different players, different organizations.

    IMHO, it's not realistic to expect Nick to make an impact anytime soon. Maybe he'll be smelling the coffee this September, certainly a ST invitee in 2013, maybe he'll be in the mix in RF by the end of 2013...I think he'll make the 25-man roster at a younger age than any positional prospect we've had since Inge, and before that Tony Clark, but I would not expect positive big-league contributions from him until 2014....still, that would be awesome, since he'll only be 22 years old at that point. I will be very happy with this result. Anything earlier would be outstanding but unexpected from my standpoint.
    Introibo ad altare Dei

    2013 AAT: Jim Price

  33. #353
    plantcitytigersfan is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Plant City, Florida
    Posts
    784

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sabretooth View Post
    Let's talk about hitting, because fielding-wise there's no comparing a guy like Nick who is being moved from 3B to RF in AA, versus Harper and Trout, who are both holding down CF in the bigs at a capable level.

    Hitting wise, I've seen Nick play in person 3 times, for what that's worth, 2 games at the end of 2011 and a game this year. He hit a HR in two of those games, so yeah, he looked pretty damn good in those particular games. One was an opposite-field shot, the other a laser to left field. Despite his low-walk rate at AA so far, he is pretty patient and attacks with a very nice swing.

    Based on the numbers, I think Nick will hit for a higher average and with more power than Harper, might not walk as much....Trout seems like a much more complete hitter than the other two...I don't see Nick in Trout's class in any phase of the game, frankly....
    Nick does not have more power than Harper, not even close.

    Larry
    2012 AAT Brandon Loy

  34. #354
    Yoda's Avatar
    Yoda is online now MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    59,234
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by plantcitytigersfan View Post
    Nick does not have more power than Harper, not even close.

    Larry
    2012 AAT Brandon Loy
    He said he expects him to hit with more power. Big difference.
    Up above, aliens hover, making home movies for the folks back home.
    Facebook

  35. #355
    Yoda's Avatar
    Yoda is online now MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    59,234
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Another 2 for 4 So far tonight bumping his avg to .318.
    Up above, aliens hover, making home movies for the folks back home.
    Facebook

  36. #356
    Yoda's Avatar
    Yoda is online now MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    59,234
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    I think saying he won't be ready until late next year is playing it a bit too safe. He's far exceeded anyone's expectations this year and he's hitting very well in an advanced league. A regression or stalling is always possible but there's no reason to just assume he won't continue to progress at or near this rate next year. I could easily see him producing a .280/.320/.450 line at age 21 in the Majors, which would be a pretty big upgrade over what we've seen this year.
    Up above, aliens hover, making home movies for the folks back home.
    Facebook

  37. #357
    Nastradamus is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    9,430

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    He said he expects him to hit with more power. Big difference.
    Either is a ridiculous statement though.

  38. #358
    thefunk's Avatar
    thefunk is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Orange County
    Posts
    14,884

    Default

    I completely redact my previous 'patience' statement.

    There is no way he'll be more frustrating to watch than Young. Bring him on up.
    GO TIGERS

  39. #359
    sabretooth's Avatar
    sabretooth is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Kalamazoo
    Posts
    12,300

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post
    Either is a ridiculous statement though.
    I should have stipulated that Harper is a better power hitter at this point, and if I were to *project* the two, Harper would project to have more power, clearly, but I don't think that the gulf between them at this point is as wide as you may be suggesting).

    Nick is in a good situation as an aggressive high-average minor-leaguer to be more selective and develop more power.

    Harper is a ridiculously young major-leaguer, holding down Washington's #2 slot and CF on a pennant contender, and might not be given as much leash to develop as a complete hitter until he's older.

    It's a hunch, not supported by the numbers at this point, I admit, but I don't think it's ridiculous.

    And to be clear, Harper is a *far* better overall player than Nick at this point, and projects to be a very strong plus/plus guy...whereas Nick I think has a strong ceiling as a hitter but we have to see about his fielding.

    For the reasons above, I was/am hoping that the Tigers acquire a RH bat, so as to avoid giving the rush-job to Nick. I don't think he's there as a hitter and if he's changing positions defensively, he's going to need some time to figure that all out. Assuming that the Tigers are going to be competing for the division again in 2013, giving Nick the RF position would be a hell of a lot of pressure to put on him given his age, talent level and so on, and to be clear, he's not anywhere near Trout or Harper's level at this point IMHO.
    Last edited by sabretooth; 08-01-2012 at 09:01 AM.
    Introibo ad altare Dei

    2013 AAT: Jim Price

  40. #360
    Casimir is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    NW OH
    Posts
    13,019

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sabretooth View Post
    For the reasons above, I was/am hoping that the Tigers acquire a RH bat, so as to avoid giving the rush-job to Nick. I don't think he's there as a hitter and if he's changing positions defensively, he's going to need some time to figure that all out. Assuming that the Tigers are going to be competing for the division again in 2013, giving Nick the RF position would be a hell of a lot of pressure to put on him given his age, talent level and so on, and to be clear, he's not anywhere near Trout or Harper's level at this point IMHO.
    Makes you wonder, though, if the Tigers can't win it this year, and if Castellanos can keep up his hitting and have a salvageable showing on defense, and if Boesch/Raburn can't figure themselves out, is he penciled in as the RF next season? I hope the kid doesn't get rushed either, but with it being win now,....

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-27-2011, 07:40 AM
  2. Nick Castellanos
    By davidsb in forum West Michigan Whitecaps
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-24-2011, 03:49 PM
  3. Nick Castellanos
    By JayVee in forum Detroit Tigers
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 07-17-2011, 10:45 AM
  4. TigsTown: Tigers Prospect Profile #2: Nick Castellanos
    By RSS Feeder in forum Tigers News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-07-2011, 10:50 AM
  5. Tigers' 2010 first pick: 3B Nick Castellanos
    By TigersFan81371 in forum Detroit Tigers
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 06-08-2010, 08:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •