Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    STLTiger69 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    And let's face it, this is the Tigers we're talking about. How someone can guarantee they won't call him up is beyond me.
    I think the injury bug will have something to say about it too. Bryan Holaday and Omir Santos are not names Tiger fans should normally be seeing unless it's something like September and the Tigers are leading the division by like 10 games or so....But, injuries hit and here we are...
    “Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" until you can find a rock.” -Will Rogers

I'll put my helmet on and ask the question again. Does Castellanos have the tools to play second base even if it's in 2013 or 2014? If he can play second base, it would be a pretty cost effective ($500K) per year fix of the second base position (Raburn $2.1M, Santiago $2.1M, Worth $500k for 2012). If Castellanos can contribute defensively too then I suppose Santiago can spell late inning replacement for Peralta or even start for Peralta if one wanted to try and improve the range up the middle at the SS position.

I hear more forum members say Castellanos to the OF than 2B, but I'm just wondering if Castellanos could be better defensively in the infield than in the outfield. Let me know what you think...
    “Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" until you can find a rock.” -Will Rogers

Eric Cioe is offline MotownSports Fan

The way I see it, you can have two kinds of third basemen defensively: the kind that go there because they can't hack short anymore but have a great arm (A-Rod, Inge), or the kind who probably should play first eventually but are biding out their time where their value is higher (Wright, Sandoval).

Everyone seems to think that Castellanos is in the latter camp. I'm all for taking a look with him at second, though. It just sounds like his skillset would play better in the outfield corners.

EDIT - I do think that part of the reason 2B as a position is so weak across the entire league right now is management tends to take the dregs from SS/3B and play them there because their arms aren't good enough for SS/3B. Maybe that was always the case but the position seems exceptionally weak right now. I mean name ten 2B that you will remember in ten years: Cano, Kinsler, Pedroia, Utley ... that's it. And one of them misses 50 games a year.
    Last edited by Eric Cioe; 06-08-2012 at 11:29 AM.
    "I can't say I'm pleased to see you and warn you I may have to do something about it." Knut Hamsun

pyrotigers is offline MotownSports Fan

I know minor league fielding percentage is not a very useful stat, but looking at Castellanos this year along with the various scouting reports on him it feels like he could definitely be more of the 'Ryan Braun get him to left field ASAP' type of third baseman.
    Kobernoooooous

toadhunter911 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cioe View Post
    The way I see it, you can have two kinds of third basemen defensively: the kind that go there because they can't hack short anymore but have a great arm (A-Rod, Inge), or the kind who probably should play first eventually but are biding out their time where their value is higher (Wright, Sandoval).

Everyone seems to think that Castellanos is in the latter camp. I'm all for taking a look with him at second, though. It just sounds like his skillset would play better in the outfield corners.

EDIT - I do think that part of the reason 2B as a position is so weak across the entire league right now is management tends to take the dregs from SS/3B and play them there because their arms aren't good enough for SS/3B. Maybe that was always the case but the position seems exceptionally weak right now. I mean name ten 2B that you will remember in ten years: Cano, Kinsler, Pedroia, Utley ... that's it. And one of them misses 50 games a year.
    I think a move to second base would be an ideal situation for Nick. I could see a Chase Utly comparison, if he can handle the defensive end. However, if the Tigers thought there was even a remote possibility, he would be playing 2B in Lakeland right now. A move to the outfield seems much more likely...
    “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” John 16:33 NIV84

The Truman Show is offline MotownSports Fan

I really wish he could play 2nd, but it's just not happening. He's 6'4" 210, and he'd just be too clumsy and awkward for the position.
    I cohost a terrific AL Central podcast here:http://invertedw.com/
    I tweet here:http://twitter.com/champaigncaviar

TigerNation is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by toadhunter911 View Post
    I think a move to second base would be an ideal situation for Nick. I could see a Chase Utly comparison, if he can handle the defensive end. However, if the Tigers thought there was even a remote possibility, he would be playing 2B in Lakeland right now. A move to the outfield seems much more likely...
    Chase Utley was an elite defensive 2B.

There's no comparison there, because if Castellanos were to play 2nd, he'd be among the worst in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by toadhunter911 View Post
    ... if the Tigers thought there was even a remote possibility, he would be playing 2B in Lakeland right now. A move to the outfield seems much more likely...
    I think the Tigers would let Castellanos hit his way through the minors until it was apparent that he just might be able to handle MLB pitching and then try the move him to another position instead of trying to move him now and run the risk he may be so worried about learing a new position that it might effect his hitting.

Also I guess if you have Castellanos penciled in as a starter at 3B for 2015 (V-Mart's last year is in 2014) then it's a moot point, Cabrera moves to DH/1B and Castellanos may take over 3B...

plantcitytigersfan is offline MotownSports Fan

I agree with Truman. I saw Nick play 35 ? games and he does not scream athleticism. He currently has below average range at third and when he runs the bases, he is more of a "lumberer" than a runner. If he was moved to second, I could see him getting hurt (think Daniel Murphy, Mets). As for moving him to the OF, I dont agree with the people that say wait to the off season. The sooner you get him out there, the better off he will be. Do you want him with other teams instructors (Arizona Fall League or Winter Ball) teaching him how to play the OF or have our guys with him (on second thought, JK). Another point no one has brought up is how it plays on his mind. I am sure every day it must cross his mind. He has done a good job blocking it out, but it still has to make him wonder.

As for him getting promoted, I doubt it, but like someone said, we are talking about the Tigers. He is not on the 40 man and promoting him would expose another player in the Rule V draft in December.

Larry
    2012 AAT Brandon Loy

I wouldn't be too worried about the 40 man. They know they're going to have to put him on for the 2013 season anyway, and there's plenty of junk on it right now.

alwaysthrowheat is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by STLTiger69 View Post
    I'll put my helmet on and ask the question again. Does Castellanos have the tools to play second base even if it's in 2013 or 2014? If he can play second base, it would be a pretty cost effective ($500K) per year fix of the second base position (Raburn $2.1M, Santiago $2.1M, Worth $500k for 2012). If Castellanos can contribute defensively too then I suppose Santiago can spell late inning replacement for Peralta or even start for Peralta if one wanted to try and improve the range up the middle at the SS position.

I hear more forum members say Castellanos to the OF than 2B, but I'm just wondering if Castellanos could be better defensively in the infield than in the outfield. Let me know what you think...
    He can't play second.

Nastradamus is online now MotownSports Fan

Nope, no 2B for Mr.Castellanos

JustinCylander is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysthrowheat View Post
    He can't play second.
    Neither can anyone else we've had there...

tigermojo is offline MotownSports Fan

We did have Ryan Raburn playing second this year so I wouldn't say it's impossible. Whatever is best for the team I at the time.

RandyMarsh is offline MotownSports Fan

I've asked Keith Law and Kevin Goldstein on twitter before if Nick could play 2B and they both said that they didn't think he could, and Rod Allen asked David Chadd that the other day when he was in the booth and he said he didn't think he could either. So going by what those guys think and what some of the other scouting reports I've read about him I don't think there is anyway he could play a passable 2B. But then again the definition of passable to me, you and everybody else maybe different than what is passable to the Tigers since they had Raburn at 2B, so who knows.

Ingefanclub is offline MotownSports Fan

There are videos of youtube on prospect Castellanos playing 3rd base and he looks like a gumpy high schooler.
    Maybe he has gotten better but nothing in the video make me think he is even a major league caliber player.
    Good thing he can hit.
    Nice to see a civilized baseball crowd. No idiots behind homeplate waving zoo animal puppets and garishly colored flags.(quote from "Antrat")

Nastradamus is online now MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by tigermojo View Post
    We did have Ryan Raburn playing second this year so I wouldn't say it's impossible. Whatever is best for the team I at the time.
    I am not defending Raburn's D one bit, but Castellanos woudl make him look like Placido in his prime.

Shelton is offline MotownSports Fan

I've never owned a tigers jersey or t shirt jersey.

I will when castellanos is called up.
    AAT: Ian Kinsler

ToledoTigerFan is offline MotownSports Fan

I like monitoring splits for prospects like this and nothing indicates it being a fluke. He hits better on the road (not benefiting from a hitter's home park), hits better versus righties (isn't just feasting off crappy lefties), not to mention that the FSL is not in any way a hitter's league. I'm pretty excited about this guy, to say the least.

Nick Castellanos Stats, Bio, Photos, Highlights | MiLB.com Stats | The Official Site of Minor League Baseball
    One can only hope that Lloyd is lonnnnnng gone before Mr. Castellanos ever sees Comerica. Lloyd would have him looking like Brandon Inge within a week of his tutelage.
    2010 Adopt-A-Tiger, The GREAT Ernie Harwell
    2012 Adopt-A-Tiger, The GREAT Luke Putkonen
    2013 Adopt-A-Tiger, The GREAT Confesor Lara

C03BRA is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by The Truman Show View Post
    I wouldn't be too worried about the 40 man. They know they're going to have to put him on for the 2013 season anyway, and there's plenty of junk on it right now.
    not unless you are advocating him playing in Detroit in 2013. He was just drafted in 2010
    2011 AAT: Chance Ruffin, RP

Quote Originally Posted by C03BRA View Post
    not unless you are advocating him playing in Detroit in 2013. He was just drafted in 2010
    I was implying that he's going to get called up in 2013.

hueytaxi is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Ingefanclub View Post
    There are videos of youtube on prospect Castellanos playing 3rd base and he looks like a gumpy high schooler.
    Maybe he has gotten better but nothing in the video make me think he is even a major league caliber player.
    Good thing he can hit.
    Adequate for A+ ball and hope he can handle D at AA. He has trouble with fielding to his left and control of the throw to 1B, often high.
    Live your life for what it can be and not for what it was.

MMXIV AAT: KYLE RYAN
    VT

MSUBrian11 is offline Released

He'll be moved to OF, even Chadd didn't rule it out it the FSN interview. And do they tend to give out more errors in the minors? 13 is a ridiculous amount for the first 2 months of the season. That's like 40 in a whole season.

plantcitytigersfan is offline MotownSports Fan

Actually, if anything, they give out less errors in the minors.

Larry
    2012 AAT Brandon Loy

Quote Originally Posted by MSUBrian11 View Post
    He'll be moved to OF, even Chadd didn't rule it out it the FSN interview. And do they tend to give out more errors in the minors? 13 is a ridiculous amount for the first 2 months of the season. That's like 40 in a whole season.

Yoda is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by plantcitytigersfan View Post
    Actually, if anything, they give out less errors in the minors.

Larry
    2012 AAT Brandon Loy
    They should, the infields suck.
    Up above, aliens hover, making home movies for the folks back home.
    Facebook

alwaysthrowheat is offline MotownSports Fan

Error totals aren't really a good indication of good fielders in the minors.

Elvis Andrus had 30+ errors in 3 seasons in a row.
    Mike Moustakas had 20 errors each of the last two years.
    Brett Lawrie had 25 errors and then 16 in 72 games last year.
    Mark Teixera had 21 errors in 85 games.
    Starlin Castro had 39 errors in a season.

I'm sure he's a below average fielder at this point, but just using the error total in order to decide whether or not a minor league fielder is actually good is foolish.

A lot of infielder errors in the minors are a result of having ****** first basemen. Even if you make a throw that should be caught, if the 1B doesn't get glove on it it's almost always a throwing error.

Of course, the MLB first baseman is ****** too, so maybe that's not much comfort.

thefunk is offline MotownSports Fan

I'll be shocked if Castellanos isn't our starting left fielder in a few years.
    GO TIGERS

Gehringer_2 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by The Truman Show View Post
    A lot of infielder errors in the minors are a result of having ****** first basemen. Even if you make a throw that should be caught, if the 1B doesn't get glove on it it's almost always a throwing error.

Of course, the MLB first baseman is ****** too, so maybe that's not much comfort.
    Not only in the minors either. Mike Jacobs was a horrible catching 1b with the Fish. When he left, Hanley Ramirez's throwing errors decreased significantly - you wonder how much Cabby's would have as well had he stayed in FLA.
    You argue with the umpire because there is nothing else you can do about it. - Leo Durocher

2014 AAT: Willy Adames
    2013 AAT: Javier Betancourt

NeedMoreLike84 is offline Released

I think he might be being groomed to be traded.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NeedMoreLike84 View Post
    I think he might be being groomed to be traded.
    Given the teams payroll, I doubt. He's exactly what they need in their system right now.
    Facebook

NeedMoreLike84 is offline Released

Given the teams payroll, I doubt. He's exactly what they need in their system right now.
    Unless the charge is win this year no matter what. Seems like it might be and he is the guy we have that could fill two holes at least.

Blog Entries

When did it become "win this year no matter what"? I don't think that's even remotely the case.
    Facebook

tiger337 is online now MotownSports Writer

When did it become "win this year no matter what"? I don't think that's even remotely the case.
    I don't think Illitch has a lot of years left, so every year is kind of a must win year. It doesn't mean they will trade Castellanos, but if they can get an impact player, I can see it happening.
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

"They can use both (old- and new-school statistics)," Cabrera said. "In 2012, we've got to take advantage of all that.

Hart is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by tiger337 View Post
    I don't think Illitch has a lot of years left, so every year is kind of a must win year. It doesn't mean they will trade Castellanos, but if they can get an impact player, I can see it happening.
    This is the approach the Orlando Magic and Cleveland Cavaliers took in basketball trying to put a contender around Lebron and Howard in hopes they would not leave and it ended up in disaster for both those teams. Not sure how it works in baseball but I don't really want to find out.

cruzer1 is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

I will be more excited about Nick once he shows more power.
    Where's Zimm?
    VT

Blog Entries

Just a quick update... Nick hit a double, triple, and homer last night. He missed 4 or 5 games due to a minor hand injury but he's back. Now he just needs to draw a walk or two...

.273/.267/.432 for Erie so far (41 AB).
    Facebook

sabretooth is offline MotownSports Fan

My sons and I are going to see Nick and the gang on July 5th in Erie against Bowie....saw Nick with the Whitecaps last year and I was very impressed with his hitting...opposite field HR, line drives all over the place, I'm jacked up!

When I saw him play 3rd base with the Whitecaps, he looked like he lacked range and footwork, had a decent arm but his mechanics seemed flawed. I don't see him as a clear defensive upgrade over Cabrera, not enough to move anyone around. I would see him as a Left Fielder to be honest....but his bat is such that I think he could be a contributor as a LFer in 2013.

I agree with plant that they should probably move him to LF this year if they're serious about him contributing to the big club in 2013. That's what I would do at this point anyway.
    Introibo ad altare Dei

2013 AAT: Jim Price

Blog Entries

2 for 5 with an RBI tonight (Thursday)
    Facebook

tananarama is offline MotownSports Fan

How is one's OBP lower than one's batting average? I was just going to ask, but wikipedia answers for me.

"For small numbers of at-bats, it is possible (though unlikely) for a player's on-base percentage to be lower than his batting average (H/AB). This happens when a player has almost no walks or times hit by pitch, with a higher number of sacrifice flies."

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast