Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Yoda is online now MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Why such a downer today?
    Up above, aliens hover, making home movies for the folks back home.
    Facebook

Shelton is offline MotownSports Fan

I don't care what wheat says, I think there is a non zero chance that we see castellanos in the bigs this year. He wouldn't be the first 20 year old to move quickly. He was destroying the ball in Lakeland. He could similarly destroy the ball in Erie and force the issue.
    AAT: Ian Kinsler

1776 is offline MotownSports Fan

Spent the weekend in Richmond for the Erie series there. I wish they had made this call a few days ago.

tiger337 is offline MotownSports Writer

Quote Originally Posted by pyrotigers View Post
    I'm really excited about Castellanos but please don't pull a Maybin on him, he still can't play defense, he doesn't hit for HR power, and his K/BB splits aren't great. He's an immense talent and he earned this promotion, but he still has some work to do before we start penciling him into the big leagues.
    Screw that. This guy's amazing. He's the next Andy Marte.
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

"They can use both (old- and new-school statistics)," Cabrera said. "In 2012, we've got to take advantage of all that.

Oblong is online now MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Why such a downer today?
    I'm not being a downer. I am just not that excited about this as it appears others are. I don't see the immediate benefit. If he can hit and play the OF then I'm excited. But I've been told and read that the OF isn't a good option. I have never seen him play so all I can do is go by the 'experts'.

Blog Entries

OF is a very good option for him. My impression is that it's always been too early to be considering. I think most people felt Nick was further off from being ready than he is. Not many people expected him to put up those numbers in the FSL. Now that he's a step closer, it's time to start discussing his options, and OF is probably a pretty good bet at this point. At least until Victor is no longer a Tiger.
    Facebook

DontGotSheed is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Oblong View Post
    So this is like finding out that a really hot chick just turned 15... that's great but of no use to me now.
    +1
    AAT: 2012~Rob Brantly 2011~Daniel Fields 2010~Alden Carrithers

theroundsquare is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by tiger337 View Post
    Screw that. This guy's amazing. He's the next Andy Marte.
    LOL. And that 15-year-old girl business is one of the strangest posts I've seen here (in the comprehensible category)

AlaskanTigersFan is offline MotownSports Fan

Indeed. Point goes to Oblong there.... I sure hope Nick's hype isn't like Kyle Sleeth where he burns out. Has happened to a lot of prospects. Lets hope Nick is the real deal. I sure hope so.
    2009 Adopt-A-Tiger = Jared Gayhart

plantcitytigersfan is offline MotownSports Fan

Sorry to see Nic leave Lakeland, but it is time for his promotion. It was fun while it lasted. I dont understand the people who are not in a hurry to find Nic a permanent position. If anyone thinks that Cabrera or Fielder is going to leave the field and become a full time DH, you are sadly mistaken. By moving Nic up to Erie now, they are hoping for a mid 2013 ETA for him in Detroit. I would have liked to seen the Tigers have put Nic in the OF while he was still in Lakeland so that he has one less thing to worry about when the moves takes place. Nothing beats actually game experience and the last thing we need is another fielder learning a position while in the majors.

Larry
    2012 AAT Brandon Loy

The news is exciting because the tigers now have another top prospect in the high minors. It's an indication that his development is going well, and it provides an opportunity to see how he does at the next level. Sure, the promotion in itself doesn't tell us much more than what we could already see from his Lakeland numbers. But it's a good thing that his performance forced the move, rather than just the lock step promotion that often happens due to age and a desire to move him through the system. This isn't an iorg situation where they just had to do it.

Being promoted to Erie means he is one step closer. It means he could conceivably move to Toledo before the year is out. It serves as confirmation that he isn't a bust. There is a lot to like about this news.

I'm not sure why there are some that are trying to downplay the significance of the promotion.

One thing about a potential switch to the outfield if it happens:

These players are likely out shagging bp fly balls throughout their careers. It won't take much to transition to playing out there. The key is whether he is athletic enough to be able cover enough ground out there. That will determine whether he plays in left or right, as well as how good his arm is.

If his development this year is enough to make him a possibility for opening day next year, he can learn the new position in the fall league.

I think Castellanos is exciting because the Tigers rarely have a position prospect of his caliber. He still could turn out to be a bust though which is why I'm not worried how he fits into the Tigers' future. If he is good enough where you have to fit him in somewhere, then that is a good problem to have. I'm taking it one step at a time and Double-A is an interesting step.
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

"They can use both (old- and new-school statistics)," Cabrera said. "In 2012, we've got to take advantage of all that.

alwaysthrowheat is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Shelton View Post
    I don't care what wheat says, I think there is a non zero chance that we see castellanos in the bigs this year. He wouldn't be the first 20 year old to move quickly. He was destroying the ball in Lakeland. He could similarly destroy the ball in Erie and force the issue.
    It's just really rare to move from A+ to the majors in a season as a hitter, especially a 20 year old one. Guys like Trout, Harper, Heyward, Castro, all started their seasons in AA when they made the majors at a young age.

I agree, he could force the issue, but I just don't see a need to bring him up unless he has another 1.000 OPS in 250 PA in Erie, and even then, I'd still think about it.

The difference between A+ and AA is really large. The difference between AA and the majors is astronomical. If he struggles, people are inevitably call him a bust already. He'll be the second youngest player in the Eastern league to Manny Machado. After the season, there could be only 2 20 year olds in the whole league.
    Last edited by alwaysthrowheat; 06-05-2012 at 02:05 PM.

Motor City Sonics is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysthrowheat View Post
    It's just really rare to move from A+ to the majors in a season as a hitter, especially a 20 year old one. Guys like Trout, Harper, Heyward, Castro, all started their seasons in AA when they made the majors at a young age.

I agree, he could force the issue, but I just don't see a need to bring him up unless he has another 1.000 OPS in 250 PA in Erie, and even then, I'd still think about it.

The difference between A+ and AA is really large. The difference between AA and the majors is astronomical. If he struggles, people are inevitably call him a bust already. He'll be the second youngest player in the Eastern league to Manny Machado. After the season, there could be only 2 20 year olds in the whole league.
    I'm not saying they will call him up to stay, but before Victor comes back later in the season during the hot weather months, I think they are going to call him up for a few games and let him DH - just to get a look at his composure and a few other things
    World Series or Bust. Guess What? Bust........again.

redshark63 is offline MotownSports Fan

Look who's batting clean-up tonight for Erie???

Erie SeaWolves ‏@erie_seawolves

Tonight's Erie Lineup: Johnson 8, Romero 6, Brantly 2, Castellanos 5, Lennerton 3, Bishop 7, Plagman 9, Douglas 4, Jones DH, Garcia 1
    2014 AAT: Drew VerHagen

DET Mr Malefic is offline MotownSports Fan

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Oblong View Post
    I'm not being a downer. I am just not that excited about this as it appears others are. I don't see the immediate benefit. If he can hit and play the OF then I'm excited. But I've been told and read that the OF isn't a good option. I have never seen him play so all I can do is go by the 'experts'.
    My opinion is closer to Oblong's than to others. I was called a bad guy a few weeks ago for noting these things as well. The thing is, once a player reaches AA, he's kind of close. Yes, there's a vast gap between AA and the MLB, but AA is where faux prospects go to die. If he's for real, he will be showing it pretty soon (even if "pretty soon" means next year, though it could conceivably mean "This year"). That there is presently no room for Castellanos as a 3B is not really an opinion, it's a fact unless Prince Fielder is willing to move off of his position in the first 1/3 of his massive contract. I keep reading/being told that I'm the silly one for trying to project too far out into the future, but this view assumes that the future is several years down the line. This dude is at Double A right now. The standard reply to worries about him not fitting in is "Well he can fit in fine in the outfield". That's a fair point, except he's not playing outfield right now and he's already at AA. Almost all the talk about him playing outfield has from my reading come from people who are just excited about him as a prospect in general and assume that is what will happen because it makes sense in their heads, but I've yet to read a scouting report or organizational indicator that it is in the cards to happen or even practical to attempt.

I'm glad he's doing well because you never know what will happen but whatever it is always works out better when you have talent and this guy is certainly talented, but compared to other prospects of years past, the composition of the big league team has made my excitement for this prospect lesser in intensity than it has been for some others --- Even others who didn't look as good as Castellanos looks right now.
    Tigers record when in attendance: 2012: 3-2 W1 Home: 1-2, Away 2-0

Tigers record when in attendance: 2011: 6-7 L5 Home: 4-5, Away 2-1, Playoffs Home: 0-1

toadhunter911 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Motor City Sonics View Post
    I'm not saying they will call him up to stay, but before Victor comes back later in the season during the hot weather months, I think they are going to call him up for a few games and let him DH - just to get a look at his composure and a few other things
    Just my opinion, no factual basis, but I don't think there's a snowballs chance in hell this happens.
    I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world. John 16:33 NIV84

Gehringer_2 is offline MotownSports Fan

O..That will determine whether he plays in left or right, as well as how good his arm is.

Well you'd like to believe the Tigers are not dumb enough to put a guy at third with an arm that isn't good enough to play RF, but who knows...
    'No Way To Prevent This, Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens

2014 AAT: WXXXy AXXXXs/Ezequiell Carrera
    2013 AAT: Javier Betancourt

Shinzaki is offline MotownSports Fan

Kyle Sleeth burned out? I thought his arm fell off..... I'm excited to see us have a positional prospect doing so well. I'd prefer to see him stay at Erie for the rest of the year...but if he hits well...why not give him a Sept call up?

Who is the Drizzle? is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by DET Mr Malefic View Post
    My opinion is closer to Oblong's than to others. I was called a bad guy a few weeks ago for noting these things as well. The thing is, once a player reaches AA, he's kind of close. Yes, there's a vast gap between AA and the MLB, but AA is where faux prospects go to die. If he's for real, he will be showing it pretty soon (even if "pretty soon" means next year, though it could conceivably mean "This year"). That there is presently no room for Castellanos as a 3B is not really an opinion, it's a fact unless Prince Fielder is willing to move off of his position in the first 1/3 of his massive contract. I keep reading/being told that I'm the silly one for trying to project too far out into the future, but this view assumes that the future is several years down the line. This dude is at Double A right now. The standard reply to worries about him not fitting in is "Well he can fit in fine in the outfield". That's a fair point, except he's not playing outfield right now and he's already at AA. Almost all the talk about him playing outfield has from my reading come from people who are just excited about him as a prospect in general and assume that is what will happen because it makes sense in their heads, but I've yet to read a scouting report or organizational indicator that it is in the cards to happen or even practical to attempt.

I'm glad he's doing well because you never know what will happen but whatever it is always works out better when you have talent and this guy is certainly talented, but compared to other prospects of years past, the composition of the big league team has made my excitement for this prospect lesser in intensity than it has been for some others --- Even others who didn't look as good as Castellanos looks right now.
    I'm very excited about Castellanos and have been for a while, but I've never expected him to make an impact on the big league club before the end of 2013. He is an awesome hitter but that power needs to develop yet before you start thinking about his impact being worth it to call him up.

As far as defense, everything I've read has been from the perspective of "Can he play 3rd?" If he can't, then LF or RF has always been an afterthought, largely because it's assumed that it's an easier position than 3rd and he shouldn't have a problem adjusting with some time in the minors. Since I doubt there's any serious inclination to call him up this year, they're going to let him keep learning 3rd as it's harder to find a hitting 3B than OF and it maximizes his value.
    We will bankrupt ourselves in the vain search for absolute security. - DDE
    Those who take the extreme positions in American political and economic life are always wrong. - DDE

Quote Originally Posted by Gehringer_2 View Post
    Well you'd like to believe the Tigers are not dumb enough to put a guy at third with an arm that isn't good enough to play RF, but who knows...
    The Tigers would never play anyone at a position for which he was not suited.
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

MC24 is offline MotownSports Fan

1st AB for Castellanos was a line drive single

Blog Entries

Castellanos goes 2 for 3 with a double and RBI, 0 BB, 0 K.

So far, so good.
    Facebook

Danjo is offline MotownSports Fan

It's a real shame he doesn't play 2nd. How perfect would that be for next year...
    I edit my posts because of typos. I'm horrible at typing quickly.

Charles Liston is offline MotownSports Fan

QFT baby. You don't play defense for the Tigers without a plus glove for the position.

alwaysthrowheat is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Motor City Sonics View Post
    I think they are going to call him up for a few games and let him DH - just to get a look at his composure and a few other things
    I hope you don't really believe this.

Mr. Bigglesworth is offline MotownSports Fan

That was too easy.

Oblong is online now MotownSports Fan

David Chadd in the Tv booth wjhen asked if Nick could be an OF.... possibly.

davidsb is offline MotownSports Fan

Wednesday - 2 for 4 so far!

Blog Entries

2 for 5 tonight for Nick. 4 for 8 so far with a double.
    Facebook

TheCouga is offline MotownSports Fan

I think Castellanos is exciting because the Tigers rarely have a position prospect of his caliber. He still could turn out to be a bust though which is why I'm not worried how he fits into the Tigers' future. If he is good enough where you have to fit him in somewhere, then that is a good problem to have. I'm taking it one step at a time and Double-A is an interesting step.
    This is what I think. We haven't had a positional prospect like this since Granderson. I don't even know if Granderson was this good. The guys we did call up who did well were more of a surprise at the MLB level (Boesch, Avila, Dirks this year, etc.). Castellanos has been elite for a while now. Plus there's the factor that it's easier to project hitting prospects. Last year, his K:BB ratio worried me, but he has significantly improved it this year. I have little doubt that his power will develop as well, with his big frame.

Anything can happen, of course, but his game seems balanced enough for a 20-year-old.
    Distribution of wealth is not in any way democratic. It is, in fact, tyrannical, in that a very select few own almost all of it, while most have little to no access. To have a country that prioritizes wealth over individual rights is the antithesis of democracy.

Boesch sucks.

irvink is offline MotownSports Fan

Granderson was not as good a prospect.

Mr. Bigglesworth is offline MotownSports Fan

The Truman Show is offline MotownSports Fan

You can be excited about Castellanos without attempting to predict the future. Do you know what Tigers DHs have hit this year? .227/.255/.350/.605. They can find a spot for him. And if you don't want to be excited because he's not doing anything for the big club, that's understandable too.

It's still premature to talk about the big leagues. The only way he gets on the radar for a real big league job this year, or even early 2013, is to do exactly what he did in Lakeland for another 2 months in Erie. Hitting 300/400/450 the rest of the year won't compel another promotion. The only reason he got promoted from Lakeland is because he was so much better than the FSL, he wasn't going to learn anything. So long as Castellanos isn't batting .400, they don't have much of a need to promote him any further.

And Cabrera/Fielder/Martinez is exactly why he's going to stay in the minors longer than other Tigers prospects have. Don't forget the context behind the Maybin promotion: the 07 Tigers were in the process of losing a division lead and had just lost Sheffield for the season. They were looking to catch lightning in a bottle to stay afloat. And I think the failure of that experiment is going to be fresh in their minds. Outside of another two months of batting .400 (if he does that, all bets are off), the only real chance he has of making the big leagues is if, after the minor league seasons end in September, they give him an expanded roster call up, just to give him a taste of the big leagues and a few token ABs.

As far as the outfield, well, when Miggy was coming up through the Marlins system, they played him exclusively at 3B in the minors despite the presence of Mike Lowell, and when they did call him up, they just put him in the outfield once he got there. But Miggy forced his way up with 69 games of 1.038 OPS in AA. Barring that circumstance, they're probably going to want to wait until the offseason to officially move him to the OF, maybe play winter ball there, work on it in spring training, that sort of thing. Not much of a reason to do it in this season when it would take miraculous circumstances to even be an issue.

tl;dr: whether you're excited or not, being at AA doesn't really make him any closer to the big leagues, because only an extremely dominant turn at AA will get him pushed any further.
    Last edited by The Truman Show; 06-08-2012 at 01:05 AM.
    I cohost a terrific AL Central podcast here:http://invertedw.com/
    I tweet here:http://twitter.com/champaigncaviar

hueytaxi is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bigglesworth View Post
    Maybin was the last positional prospect thought of as highly as Nick, I'd say.
    But that hope quickly died while in Lakeland when his attitude changed realizing that there was no slot for him in AA or above. His trade was the best thing for him.
    Live your life for what it can be and not for what it was.

MMXIV AAT: KYLE RYAN; MMXV AAT: TBD
    VT

To wheat's point re: 20 year olds in MLB:

I think it's highly unlikely that castellanos would be up prior to roster expansion this year. However, just because it is extremely rare for it to happen, doesn't mean it can't. Yes, those guys like Harper started the year in AA instead of A+. I don't think that means much of anything. It's such a small subset of players. Not to mention, given how well castellanos played in Lakeland, it seems to me that he could have started in AA instead.

Justin upton and maybin both made the majors in the same year that they started in A+. Neither hit .400 at that level.

Anyway, I'm just having fun with the idea. I doubt he will be called up this year. I don't think they should. I think he would struggle.

But it could happen...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hueytaxi View Post
    But that hope quickly died while in Lakeland when his attitude changed realizing that there was no slot for him in AA or above. His trade was the best thing for him.
    I never understood this. He still continued to hit. It earned him a promotion to AA and then to the majors. He didn't do anything different after he was traded.
    Facebook

Blog Entries

To wheat's point re: 20 year olds in MLB:

I think it's highly unlikely that castellanos would be up prior to roster expansion this year. However, just because it is extremely rare for it to happen, doesn't mean it can't. Yes, those guys like Harper started the year in AA instead of A+. I don't think that means much of anything. It's such a small subset of players. Not to mention, given how well castellanos played in Lakeland, it seems to me that he could have started in AA instead.

Justin upton and maybin both made the majors in the same year that they started in A+. Neither hit .400 at that level.

Anyway, I'm just having fun with the idea. I doubt he will be called up this year. I don't think they should. I think he would struggle.

But it could happen...
    And let's face it, this is the Tigers we're talking about. How someone can guarantee they won't call him up is beyond me.
    Facebook

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast