Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast
    Gehringer_2 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Nolan View Post
    Yeah. Vlad was just the first player I thought of when Micro was talking about Nick being such a free swinger and being able to make good contact on balls out of the zone. Then I looked at their minor league numbers and they were somewhat comparable, but it looks like Vlad had a little more power. Now, I don't know how the park effects would come into play....
    Erie is pretty short to the wall in LF but the HR line is at 17 ft. Still pretty favorable to RHH I would think. Toledo is 386 to the LF power alley, a little less favorable.
    'No Way To Prevent This, Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens

2014 AAT: Willy Adames
    2013 AAT: Javier Betancourt

RobSk is offline MotownSports Fan

Man, I really hope he's not a Guerrero type. It's not that Vlad wasn't a great player. He's a great player. It just seems to me that there are not many guys that can do the "swing at anything" stuff and be successful. Way more of them look like Delmon Young (crap) than like Vlad Guerrero (great player). I'd rather have a guy start learning to not swing at garbage, not just to up his walks, but so he doesn't necessarily have to be a fast-twitch superman 7x24x365 for his whole career.

Rob
    VT
    "A room without books is like a body without a soul."
    - G.K. Chesterton

plantcitytigersfan is offline MotownSports Fan

I saw Nick for the first half of this year in Lakeland and I don't think Mark meant the Vlad comparison as fact, just that he can take an outside pitch and hit it to right. Nick is not hitting balls that are shoulder height or an inch off the ground, he is much better than that. As for him making adjustments, I remember a game where he looked terrible striking out on a curve in the first inning. During his third at bat, he got behind in the count 0 - 2 and worked out a walk on a 9 pitch at bat.

Larry
    ATT Brandon Loy

Microline133 is offline MotownSports Fan

The best part is, I never actually said anything at all about him being like Vlad...
    Mark J. Anderson, Jr.
    Director of Scouting
    TigsTown.com

plantcitytigersfan is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Microline133 View Post
    The best part is, I never actually said anything at all about him being like Vlad...

Sorry about that, read all the posts at the same time and messed up. At least I agreed with your post.

Larry
    2012 AAT Brandon Loy

tiger337 is offline MotownSports Writer

Mark, speaking of Vlad comparisons, would you say that Oscar Tavares is that type of hitter? I've heard others say that.
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

"They can use both (old- and new-school statistics)," Cabrera said. "In 2012, we've got to take advantage of all that.

Microline133 is offline MotownSports Fan

Larry, that wasn't targeted at you, just a general comment/observation of the direction the thread took.

Lee, I think Taveras' swing is as violent, but I don't think he swings as much or at the type of pitches Vlad did.
    Mark J. Anderson, Jr.
    Director of Scouting
    TigsTown.com

PuNk42AE is offline MotownSports Fan

I think Mark swings like Vlad.
    VT B.R.B. "We only part to meet again"

2014 AAT: RHP Warwick Saupold

TigersSlappy is offline MotownSports Fan

6. Nick Castellanos, 20, Tigers, OF

MLB comp: Magglio Ordoez

Detroit moved Castellanos to the outfield from third base to give him a quicker path to the big league club. He hits a bit like Rendon, with loose wrists, and some observers think he has the kind of pure hitting ability to challenge for a batting title someday.

Read More: Billy Hamilton tops list of*prospects in Arizona Fall League - Tom Verducci - SI.com
    2014AAT-Buck Farmer 2013AAT-Mr Ilitch 2013 AAL-Nick Fairley 2012AAL-Willie Young 2012AAT-Dixon Machado 2011AAL-Tom "Killer" Kowalski 2011AAT-Heather Nabozny 2010AAT-Phil Coke 2008&2007AAT-Sergio Collado
    2007AT-AAT-Alan Trammell

sabretooth is offline MotownSports Fan

I had not read this thread in a long while....really interesting post by Mark, thanks. Very educational.

I didn't see anything in his post either that equated to Nick "swinging at garbage", I think what I read is that he swings hard and misses more often, even on some otherwise hittable pitches.

Assuming that Mark is right about Nick's baseball brain, he should continue to improve pitch recognition as he progresses...and that fatigue played a part in slowing his bat speed a touch...the kid just needs some time to make adjustments.

I've generally preferred a young hitter who has the ability and mentality to swing and hit the ball for power vs a more cautious youngster....my uneducated theory is that it's easier for a natural power hitter to improve pitch recognition/selection than it is for a naturally cautious hitter to learn how to hit for power.
    Introibo ad altare Dei

2013 AAT: Jim Price

Quote Originally Posted by sabretooth View Post
    I had not read this thread in a long while....really interesting post by Mark, thanks. Very educational.

I didn't see anything in his post either that equated to Nick "swinging at garbage", I think what I read is that he swings hard and misses more often, even on some otherwise hittable pitches.

Assuming that Mark is right about Nick's baseball brain, he should continue to improve pitch recognition as he progresses...and that fatigue played a part in slowing his bat speed a touch...the kid just needs some time to make adjustments.

I've generally preferred a young hitter who has the ability and mentality to swing and hit the ball for power vs a more cautious youngster....my uneducated theory is that it's easier for a natural power hitter to improve pitch recognition/selection than it is for a naturally cautious hitter to learn how to hit for power.
    I don't know ST, the counter to that is a kid with good recognition may just naturally grow into the additional strength to generate power - Whittaker and Trammell being prime examples of this type.

Yoda is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Good News: Nick Castellanos has bulked up this offseason!

Bad News: He's reportedly put on 25 lbs while working out in Miami. Does this worry anyone else?

Castellanos weighed 195 pounds in June, courtesy of bus trips and night games that often left fast food as the only practical 11 p.m. nutritional option. He now weighs 220 following an offseason workout and diet regimen engineered in Miami by his trainer, David Bush.

From The Detroit News: Tigers top prospect Nick Castellanos veers left to become part of future | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com
    Up above, aliens hover, making home movies for the folks back home.
    Facebook

tiger337 is offline MotownSports Writer

not if he doesn't get caught
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

"They can use both (old- and new-school statistics)," Cabrera said. "In 2012, we've got to take advantage of all that.

Chopper is offline MotownSports Fan

25 lbs of muscle in 9 months is astonishing but as his age possible I suppose. Hopefully he doesn't try to become a power hitter overnight.
    Country strong

ballmich is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by tiger337 View Post
    not if he doesn't get caught
    Or boycotted by Weight Watchers.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight; my goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me. -- Psalm 144:1-2

ballmich is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Good News: Nick Castellanos has bulked up this offseason!

Bad News: He's reportedly put on 25 lbs while working out in Miami. Does this worry anyone else?
    Everyone's frame is different, but at 6'4", he should be able to carry that weight pretty easily. As a corner IF/OF, you probably want him to have added some bulk. At long as he doesn't continue to add it, I think we're okay.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight; my goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me. -- Psalm 144:1-2

DaYooperASBDT is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

You can't pull fat
    2014 Adopt A Tiger: Casey Crosby
    These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... Morons.
    VT

TigerNation is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Chopper View Post
    25 lbs of muscle in 9 months is astonishing but as his age possible I suppose. Hopefully he doesn't try to become a power hitter overnight.
    Adding 25 lbs in 9 months is pretty easy.

pyrotigers is offline MotownSports Fan

Everyone in MLB adds 20 pounds of muscle during the offseason. Let's wait and see if he actually looks any different on opening day
    Kobernoooooous

Chopper is offline MotownSports Fan

I'm guessing his 25 lbs of "muscle" is fat too. You might want to read up on natural muscle gains for a year or per month. I used to be in good shape years ago and have read plenty about weight training. I skinny newbie can gain muscle fast but it tapers off once you get a year of doing it in. With today's supplements I'm sure results are easier to attain but if I was MLB he would be on my watch list for sure.

In Arnold Schwarzenegger's autobiography he wrote that the biggest gain he had in a single year was 25 lbs. Now, he has the genetics and he was on steroids which he admitted to in that same book. So if one of the best ever body builders could only gain 25 lbs in a year Nick sure isn't going to. Like I said he gained some fat too but all I care about is he doesn't think he is power hitter all of a sudden.
    Country strong

redshark63 is online now MotownSports Fan

The kid just turned 21, so safe to say he may be still growing/filling out a little. Interestingly, B-R has him at 210, so did he really add only 15 pounds int he big scheme of things. Not a big deal with better training and growing for a 21 year old.
    2014 AAT: Drew VerHagen

4hzglory is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by redshark63 View Post
    The kid just turned 21, so safe to say he may be still growing/filling out a little. Interestingly, B-R has him at 210, so did he really add only 15 pounds int he big scheme of things. Not a big deal with better training and growing for a 21 year old.
    What it looks like is that he lost 15 pounds during the first few months of the season getting down to 195 in June. He since gained that back as well as another 10 lbs. Not necessarily a big deal as I imagine that first 15 came back on reasonably easily.
    Micah 7:7

Eric Cioe is offline MotownSports Fan

Funny how when a 20 year old baseball player adds 25 pounds, they call it filling out, while when his high school classmates do the same thing at the same time, it's because of the dining halls at college.
    "I can't say I'm pleased to see you and warn you I may have to do something about it." Knut Hamsun

ewsieg is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cioe View Post
    Funny how when a 20 year old baseball player adds 25 pounds, they call it filling out, while when his high school classmates do the same thing at the same time, it's because of the dining halls at college.
    Exactly, I don't know how many 115 pound girls complain about gaining their "freshman 15", but a 6'4" guy gaining 25 is unreal?
    VT

Eric Cioe is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by ewsieg View Post
    Exactly, I don't know how many 115 pound girls complain about gaining their "freshman 15", but a 6'4" guy gaining 25 is unreal?
    The unreal aspect is considering it all muscle. He got bigger. Happens to 21 year olds all the time. But let's not pretend he was putting on 25 pounds of pure muscle, because he didn't.
    "I can't say I'm pleased to see you and warn you I may have to do something about it." Knut Hamsun

Shinzaki is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cioe View Post
    The unreal aspect is considering it all muscle. He got bigger. Happens to 21 year olds all the time. But let's not pretend he was putting on 25 pounds of pure muscle, because he didn't.
    Yep...of course he added some fat too...if he didn't he'd be jacked and ripped up like this Ultimate Warrior action figure

Blog Entries

These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... Morons.
    VT

Nick still has ways to go to his stat line back in shape though. And Garcia still taking his ABs in Fl? I thought he was supposed to be nearly ready to go.

Yoda is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gehringer_2 View Post
    Nick still has ways to go to his stat line back in shape though. And Garcia still taking his ABs in Fl? I thought he was supposed to be nearly ready to go.
    Three more hits tonight as well. He's heating up.
    Up above, aliens hover, making home movies for the folks back home.
    Facebook

MAROTH4MVP is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Three more hits tonight as well. He's heating up.
    Yes, Nick looked good against good Bull staring pitching.
    I miss you dad.

Jurjens starts tonight against Toledo. Nick will have to be ready for the soft stuff.

EDIT: Castellanos managed a double of JJ, who had a good night striking out 7 in 6.2 IP, Hens fell 2-1
    Last edited by Gehringer_2; 04-27-2013 at 10:30 PM.

Blog Entries

No need to rush him up, but perhaps he'll be in LF sooner than we thought.
    VT

TigersFan81371 is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Now that he's playing in Toledo, it cracks me up to see an active thread with a title that says "promoted to Erie".
    @MrPaulOzzOslund Model citizen, zero discipline.
    *2014 Adopt-A-Tiger: Harold Castro.
    *All-Time Adopt-A-Tiger: Paul Carey, Bluhm Memorial Detroit Tigers HOF Inductee

Tramfan is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by TigersFan81371 View Post
    Now that he's playing in Toledo, it cracks me up to see an active thread with a title that says "promoted to Erie".
    Further proof that the Thread police have won ...
    2013 Adopt a Tiger Andy Dirks
    "Gentlemen, we will chase perfection, and we will chase it relentlessly, knowing all the while we can never attain it. But along the way, we shall catch excellence."

Antrat is online now MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Tramfan View Post
    + 1,000,000,000,000
    AAT Joe Nathan
    Tigers-Cardinals 2014 WS. Book it.
    "The escalator isn't out of order. It's just temporarily stairs."

diaspora04 is offline MotownSports Fan

The thread police, they come into my bed. The thread police, they come into my head.

Every single day!

PuNk42AE is offline MotownSports Fan

VT B.R.B. "We only part to meet again"

2014 AAT: RHP Warwick Saupold

pyrotigers is offline MotownSports Fan

Well, if he doubled off the new Greg Maddux then he must be ready for MLB
    Kobernoooooous

TigersFan81371 is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

D'oh! I suck.
    @MrPaulOzzOslund Model citizen, zero discipline.
    *2014 Adopt-A-Tiger: Harold Castro.
    *All-Time Adopt-A-Tiger: Paul Carey, Bluhm Memorial Detroit Tigers HOF Inductee

Motor City Sonics is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Gehringer_2 View Post

Gotta ask, what's the hurry.............we've got Don Kelly !
    World Series or Bust. Guess What? Bust........again.

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast