Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast
    STLTiger69 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by tiger337 View Post
    Signing Fielder was a video-game move which nobody saw coming, so why not make another video-game move? Anyway, I'm pretty sure Gehringer knows there is little chance of Fielder being traded. He's just taking theoretically.
    +1

I don't see the harm in throwing ideas out to the forum even if they are more of a "what if" sort of thing. Sometimes "what-ifs' actually become a viable possibility in time. It's true some ideas are better than others (God knows I've had my share of bad ones too) but overall the idea is to prompt thoughtful discussion through posts on the forum. Post them if you got them...
    “Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" until you can find a rock.” -Will Rogers

Hart is offline MotownSports Fan

Signing Fielder was a video-game move which nobody saw coming, so why not make another video-game move? Anyway, I'm pretty sure Gehringer knows there is little chance of Fielder being traded. He's just taking theoretically.
    I would agree with this. It's fun to talk trade proposals but there is very little chance anything happens. If Kenny Williams was our GM, then I think something actually might happen.

I know we have beat this horse to death already but I just have to put my 2 cents in again for the status quo. Move Fielder to DH, Cabrera to first, and start building a defense orientated team around them. Or I will even settle for what others are proposing...leave Miggy and Prince where they are and start building a better defensive team around them. (I just can't stand Fielder at first but this is better than nothing).

Nastradamus is offline MotownSports Fan

Its possible Prince could be anywhere from a 2-5 WAR guy as a DH. If he was towards the 4 or 5 range, he wouldn't be such a terrible investment. The list of DHs right now is quite unimpressive. Would Victor be considered a better defender at 1B than Prince by chance?

Hart is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post
    Its possible Prince could be anywhere from a 2-5 WAR guy as a DH. If he was towards the 4 or 5 range, he wouldn't be such a terrible investment. The list of DHs right now is quite unimpressive. Would Victor be considered a better defender at 1B than Prince by chance?
    That's an interesting question. Martinez has almost a full season of games played at first base and has a UZR a little less than even. My guess is that he would be an upgrade over Prince because he moves a little better and is a little taller...just a complete guess though.

I think a 3-5 WAR is obtainable for Prince the majority of his contract. It is still a bad investment anyway you look at it but at least it is an investment that can still help the team quite a bit. We just need a General Manager who is shrewd with the players he fills out the rest of the defense with.

Gehringer_2 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Hart View Post
    That's an interesting question. Martinez has almost a full season of games played at first base and has a UZR a little less than even. My guess is that he would be an upgrade over Prince because he moves a little better and is a little taller...just a complete guess though.

I think a 3-5 WAR is obtainable for Prince the majority of his contract. It is still a bad investment anyway you look at it but at least it is an investment that can still help the team quite a bit. We just need a General Manager who is shrewd with the players he fills out the rest of the defense with.
    Victor looked pretty horrible at some points last season, but a lot of that could have been the knees.

But that is the lesser problem. Unless he is better than he has been showing so far, or improves (which prolly = LOSES WEIGHT!), Prince's D is so porous that I just don't believe it would be hard to find a 1b who provided the same total net of offense plus defense. I mean a good fielding 1b could probably OPS 100 points lower and still be a net improvement to what Prince is doing now. The game today was pretty std for him - couldn't make a good throw to 2nd on a pick-off and bobbled a grounder going to his right that he should have left for Worth. That is 2 outs not made in one game - which seems to be about what he is averaging. That is really a pretty huge deficit to have to hit enough to overcome.

At any rate the point I started out to make is that I don't think the problem is the difficulty of finding an equivalent or better 1b, it's figuring out how to get Prince off the bag.
    Last edited by Gehringer_2; 06-07-2012 at 11:52 PM.
    'No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens

2014 AAT: WXXXy AXXXXs/Ezequiell Carrera
    2013 AAT: Javier Betancourt

Nastradamus is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Hart View Post

Tough to say that's a bad investment IMO. Maybe in pure statistical terms(though technically he needs to be worth 4.6 WAR to be worth his money annually), but he is a fan draw, a rare commodity and you have to overpay a little on the open market. I think him and Victor maybe share 1B and DH the next few years.

zimm is offline MotownSports Fan

rudy jarimillo has been fired by the cubs. he is the answer to the question "if we fire lloyd, who is out there that will definitely be better than lloyd ?" (although personally, i think pretty much anyone would be better than lloyd, and have said since day 1 that he should never have been hired in any capacity.)
    Evil

Originally Posted by CASPER WELLS:
    Don't make me come out to Ferndale and whip your ***, boy.

redshark63 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by zimm View Post
    rudy jarimillo has been fired by the cubs. he is the answer to the question "if we fire lloyd, who is out there that will definitely be better than lloyd ?" (although personally, i think pretty much anyone would be better than lloyd, and have said since day 1 that he should never have been hired in any capacity.)
    Cubs OPS: .689
    Tigers OPS: .742

So either Jaramillo is not as good as advertised or the Cubs' players are just not good regardless of the batting coach.

Feel free to substitute "McClendon", "bad", and "Tigers" for "Jaramillo", "good", and "Cubs" for perspective.
    2014 AAT: Drew VerHagen

irvink is offline MotownSports Fan

The Cubs' players are not good regardless of the batting coach.

Quote Originally Posted by irvink View Post
    The Cubs' players are not good regardless of the batting coach.
    In that case, either they would be a whole lot worse without him or the impact of a batting coach is overrated.

pyrotigers is offline MotownSports Fan

Well for some crazy reason the Dodgers just gave piles of money to Andre Ethier so they can enjoy his probably sub replacement level age 33-35 seasons, I guess we can't foist Prince off on them. Alas.
    Kobernoooooous

toadhunter911 is offline MotownSports Fan

From Gage's twitter...

Tom_Gage

not unusual, but sometimes significant, #Tigers Leyland and Dombrowski meeting behind closed doors right now - more moves coming?
    “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” John 16:33 NIV84

TJ
    TJ is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by toadhunter911 View Post
    From Gage's twitter...

Tom_Gage

not unusual, but sometimes significant, #Tigers Leyland and Dombrowski meeting behind closed doors right now - more moves coming?
    If a move is coming involving somebody on the current roster, that player has to be held out of action.

I doubt it's anything more than that.

Alex is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by toadhunter911 View Post
    From Gage's twitter...

Tom_Gage

And after the game per gage's twitter:

could be multiple moves Thursday morning for #Tigers

Thursday morning could be a busy one for #Tigers - "but I don't have anything for you tonight" said Leyland

Hmm, FWIW Brantly (LH C) has been hitting well this year at AA & AAA. Maybe Dirk's being out longer also initiates something...
    Scully:
    'There's a marsh over there. The lights the driver saw may have been swamp gas...'

Mulder:
    'That happens to me when I eat Dodger dogs'

tiger337 is offline MotownSports Writer

Gage has been around a long time and isn't one to create drama. Something will probably happen.
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

"They can use both (old- and new-school statistics)," Cabrera said. "In 2012, we've got to take advantage of all that.

Gage has been around a long time and isn't one to create drama. Something will probably happen.
    Yea, good catch, Gage does seem to ge going nuts tonight like he's stuck in a seminar and can't sneak out to go pee...

Tom Gage via twitter;

-whatever it is, or whatever the #Tigers moves are, it sounds like they'll happen early on Thursday

-trade, up-and-down move, maybe both, can't rule anything out right now for Thursday morning with #Tigers - mum's the word in clubhouse, tho

-could be multiple moves Thursday morning for #Tigers

-Thursday morning could be a busy one for #Tigers - "but I don't have anything for you tonight" said Leyland

Twitter

Yea, thanks Gage, not like I don't have any trouble sleeping now. What is this all about?!?
    “Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" until you can find a rock.” -Will Rogers

Yoda is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

You can bet Matt Young will go down.

Ben Guez up?

Other than that I don't see many moves being made. Boesch was a good candidate a week ago, but he's been killing the ball all of a sudden. I really can't think of anyone in the minors trying to force their way up, and other than Porcello I can't think of anyone else on the roster that needs to be sent down. I don't see that happening though because there aren't any starters worth calling up at this point.

This year has really shown just how bare and worthless the minor league system is, outside of a couple guys that just aren't ready yet.
    Up above, aliens hover, making home movies for the folks back home.
    Facebook

BornOnThe4th is offline Released

You gotta believe Matt Young is gone. I mean, he can't do anything at the plate.

TurnerHasHYPE is offline MotownSports Fan

Young down, Vlad signed?
    Photobucket:http://s871.photobucket.com/home/Firebirds11/index
    Young Stars + Future (HOF'S) OMLB: 87/100
    Collecting ANYTHING Jacob Turner or Nick Castellanos

Quote Originally Posted by TurnerHasHYPE View Post
    Young down, Vlad signed?
    lol,... please no....

zimm is offline MotownSports Fan

delmon released, vlad signed? they're kinda the same player, except that vlad was once great and is more brittle, while delmon was never great and is more retarded.
    Evil

Originally Posted by CASPER WELLS:
    Don't make me come out to Ferndale and whip your ***, boy.

Quote Originally Posted by zimm View Post
    delmon released, vlad signed? they're kinda the same player, except that vlad was once great and is more brittle, while delmon was never great and is more retarded.
    I'll go out on a limb and say Delmon Young is still a LF compared to Vladimir Guerrero who is virtually DH only. For a team that might be trying to shore up it's team defense, it would be a odd move.

tiger337 is offline MotownSports Writer

Tigers expected to announce roster moves Thursday | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com

But manager Jim Leyland, while saying, "I have nothing for you tonight," told reporters when there still were several in his office following the game, "If I were you, I'd be here early" on Thursday.

"There's a whole bunch going on."

Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

"They can use both (old- and new-school statistics)," Cabrera said. "In 2012, we've got to take advantage of all that.

I hope this is unrelated;

•Amid heavy trade talk, Cubs pitcher Ryan Dempster had a long chat with Theo Epstein in the stands of Wrigley Field before today's game, according to Carrie Muskat of MLB.com. Dempster told Muskat that the two discussed an upcoming fundraiser. Meanwhile, some execs believe that the hurler could be moved early, perhaps even before the All-Star break.

Amid trade rumors, Dempster talks with Epstein | cubs.com: News

thefunk is offline MotownSports Fan

Vlad's agent's name is Bean Stringfellow. That's not a joke.

It's like if you asked me to think up a cartoon name for Dombrowski. It fits pretty well.

"Hello there! My name is Bean. Bean Stringfellow."
    GO TIGERS

Blog Entries

Very rare for Jim or Dave to be making comments like this... weird.
    Facebook

Blog Entries

Kind of out of left field here, but I'm going to predict some sort of change in coaching. As in Lloyd to bench coach, and someone like Durham the new hitting coach.
    Facebook

ROMAD1 is offline MotownSports Fan

This is gonna be interesting. Mister illitch must be making his feelings known. And theo is right there.
    'Whatever happens, we have got
    The Maxim Gun, and they have not.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Kind of out of left field here, but I'm going to predict some sort of change in coaching. As in Lloyd to bench coach, and someone like Durham the new hitting coach.
    In an effort to improve the team's fielding woes, the Detroit Tigers have replaced fielding coach Rafael Beliard with Tigers legend Lou Whitaker.

Truth is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Very rare for Jim or Dave to be making comments like this... weird.
    Yes it is weird. DD usually doesn't say anything and JL rarely says anything that might disrespect somebody on the roster.

Oblong is offline MotownSports Fan

I don't anticpate anything outside of the organization as that would mean it was already agreed upon last night, for Leyland to say such a thing, and if that were true we'd have heard by now.

We'll swap 4th string catchers and 12th men on the pitching staffs.... huge.

Quote Originally Posted by Oblong View Post
    I don't anticpate anything outside of the organization as that would mean it was already agreed upon last night, for Leyland to say such a thing, and if that were true we'd have heard by now.

We'll swap 4th string catchers and 12th men on the pitching staffs.... huge.
    Sveum likes Fielder?

Raburn back, Smyly to DL...that from Jon Paul Morosi's twitter

JustinCylander is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by ROMAD1 View Post
    Good thing we called him back up, he was mashing it down in Toledo...

I thought it would be Fister for Blister

What the?

Raburn hits .194 in AAA and he's back?

Did Morosi's twitter post say anything about just giving up?

Truth is offline MotownSports Fan

Seriously? That just makes me angry. I was hoping not to see Raburn again.

Oblong is offline MotownSports Fan

I knew it'd be garbage....

because that's really all that is left now.
    What else are they supposed to do? Smyly has to go on DL and you bring up a position player... who is a better candidate?

Euphdude is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

What in the blue you-know-what did Raburn do to deserve being called back up so quickly?

Wait for it...

Sources: #Tigers have interest in trading for Carlos Quentin. He has a scorching 1.463 OPS in 12 games with #Padres since returning from DL.

Morosi again

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast