Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    lesgoblu02 is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Default Terry Foster may be on to something!

Forget Brandon Inge; letting Placido Polanco go was Tigers' worst mistake | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com

The Tigers did not make a mistake in getting rid of Brandon Inge. The mistake they made at second base happened three years ago when they allowed Placido Polanco to walk because of money. By the way, the guy wanted to stay and he is continuing a fine career with the Philadelphia Phillies...

From The Detroit News: Forget Brandon Inge; letting Placido Polanco go was Tigers' worst mistake | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com
    More awesome baseball analysis in the article.
    Every time you play a hand of you poker you wanna run through a mental check list. Head Position Hand Position Neck Position Breathing Posture. More than 25 items. It's a lot. And that why I've come up with a handy mnemonic device. Just one word: HPHPNPBPECMSPAMDCPAFTSTTL. It's easy.

alwaysthrowheat is offline MotownSports Fan

Just stupidity. It's amazing they pay these people.

mmwatkin is offline MotownSports Fan

lolwut?

CapitalTigers is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysthrowheat View Post
    Just stupidity. It's amazing they pay these people.
    Am I missing something? I think the point is Polanco was let go for a relatively low cost and he would have likely accepted the arbitration process for another year. He is missed here, provides a solid bat, and a dependable 2nd base position.

Seriously, what am I missing?
    I like a man who grins when he fights--- Sir Winston Churchill.

pyrotigers is offline MotownSports Fan

If only the Tigers were paying big money to have a solid .280 .309 .339 at the top of the order they'd be in first place

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalTigers View Post
    Am I missing something? I think the point is Polanco was let go for a relatively low cost and he would have likely accepted the arbitration process for another year. He is missed here, provides a solid bat, and a dependable 2nd base position.

He's been below average at best since signing with the Phillies, and he's awful this year, why would he have helped at all?

He's not even the best second baseman the Tigers let leave for nothing in the last three years
    Kobernoooooous

The Tigers outperformed polanco with their myriad of 2B the last two years. He's old and not cheap. He'd hit at the top of the lineup for a sub .700 OPS and doesn't walk. He may have been okay in 2010, but to have him in 2011 and for 2012 would have been frustrating. Not to mention his .568 road OPS last season, and his 4 walks so far this year.
    Last edited by alwaysthrowheat; 05-14-2012 at 01:17 PM.

drownwithyou is offline MotownSports Fan

This is a late April Fools joke, right?

Solid with the bat?

2014 AAT: Guido Knudson Lakeland stats: 4.2 IP - 0.00 ERA, 0.857 WHIP, 10 K/4 BB, 2 Saves
    Twitter | Last.fm | Blog

I see what you mean. I know he hasn't been the Polanco we saw in Detroit, 36 years old, but he is a consistent veteran that DD / Leyland tends to court.

John_Brian_K is offline MotownSports Fan

Dudes won 3 gold gloves in 4 years, is a career .300 hitter and considering the clown shoes we run out there every day at that position, and having a solid dependable guy in that spot...I would have to say I agree with T-Fos here.

If Polanco was holding the position down we could conceiveable turn that dude that went to the A's into something before he flamed out, we could have let Santiago walk, we could have either traded off Raburn or let him walk and put our focus on other things.

Foster is not known (at least in my mind) as insightful or full of deep things to say, but I find no irony or shame in agreeing with that article.
    "And that is part of the larger pattern of the appeal of a new online collectivism that is nothing less than a resurgence of the idea that the collective is all-wise, that it is desirable to have influence concentrated in a bottleneck that can channel the collective with the most verity and force."

I see what you mean. I know he hasn't been the Polanco we saw in Detroit, 36 years old, but he is a consistent veteran that DD / Leyland tends to court.
    The point is if he hadn't played here for a few years, no one would have opined for the Tigers to go out and sign him.

"And that is part of the larger pattern of the appeal of a new online collectivism that is nothing less than a resurgence of the idea that the collective is all-wise, that it is desirable to have influence concentrated in a bottleneck that can channel the collective with the most verity and force."

You are missing the Sizemore butter.......

and 'OMG SLUGGING!'

The point is if he hadn't played here for a few years, no one would have opined for the Tigers to go out and sign him.
    I see what you mean. Would've rather seen someone like Callaspo signed, likely?
    Last edited by CapitalTigers; 05-14-2012 at 01:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by drownwithyou View Post
    This is a late April Fools joke, right?

Solid with the bat?

Dudes been in the league a long time and still is a career .301 hitter.

davidsb is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by pyrotigers View Post
    He's not even the best second baseman the Tigers let leave for nothing in the last three years
    Who would be better the past three years?

Well that's convincing.
    2014 AAT: Guido Knudson Lakeland stats: 4.2 IP - 0.00 ERA, 0.857 WHIP, 10 K/4 BB, 2 Saves
    Twitter | Last.fm | Blog

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by davidsb View Post
    Who would be better the past three years?
    The younger guy in Oakland who out OPS'ed PP by over 100 points last season.
    Every time you play a hand of you poker you wanna run through a mental check list. Head Position Hand Position Neck Position Breathing Posture. More than 25 items. It's a lot. And that why I've come up with a handy mnemonic device. Just one word: HPHPNPBPECMSPAMDCPAFTSTTL. It's easy.

I see what you mean. Would've rather seen someone like Callasp signed, likely?
    Well, he was never a free agent. But i'd take he or Izturis over Polanco any day.

Quote Originally Posted by lesgoblu02 View Post
    I would've liked to see Kelley Johnson or someone considered too...

He's a FA next year, think we take a shot at him? He already has 21 walks this year...

Well, he was never a free agent. But i'd take he or Izturis over Polanco any day.
    I see what you mean. Kelley Johnson in the Tiger's line-up with his plate discipline would look awfully nice next year imo.

tiger337 is offline MotownSports Writer

Kelly Johnson would have been an excellent acquisition.
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

"They can use both (old- and new-school statistics)," Cabrera said. "In 2012, we've got to take advantage of all that.

Quote Originally Posted by tiger337 View Post
    Kelly Johnson would have been an excellent acquisition.
    Glad you spelled that without the "E"... I had his name locked in with an "E" into the ole' memory bank and that's how muscle memory types it now. Tiger337, think Tiger's make a run for him in 2013?

I see what you mean. Kelley Johnson in the Tiger's line-up with his plate discipline would look awfully nice next year imo.
    Absolutely. Plenty of people asked to make him a Tiger on this board. Me included. I like him a lot.

tiger337 is offline MotownSports Writer

Glad you spelled that without the "E"... I had his name locked in with an "E" into the ole' memory bank and that's how muscle memory types it now. Tiger337, think Tiger's make a run for him in 2013?
    Possibly. I don't think they will go another year without a real second baseman. Something will be done about that before next season.
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

"They can use both (old- and new-school statistics)," Cabrera said. "In 2012, we've got to take advantage of all that.

hail2mich is offline MotownSports Fan

I was/am a Polanco fan, but letting him walk was the right choice. He was a very nice player to have during his time here and was a huge part of that 2006 team, but he was going downhill. Too much money for a guy who was on the decline. The wrong move has been not signing anyone to take his place for the past three seasons, and thinking we had guys in the system that could fill his spot.

Even an average, typical second baseman would make many Tiger fans forget about Polanco. Why can't we get one?

Biff Mayhem is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by hail2mich View Post
    I was/am a Polanco fan, but letting him walk was the right choice. He was a very nice player to have during his time here and was a huge part of that 2006 team, but he was going downhill. Too much money for a guy who was on the decline. The wrong move has been not signing anyone to take his place for the past three seasons, and thinking we had guys in the system that could fill his spot.

Even an average, typical second baseman would make many Tiger fans forget about Polanco. Why can't we get one?
    QFT. Plus at that point he had been bit by the injury bug a couple of times.
    VT Twitter

2014 AAT: Shannon Hogan

Make the world a better place: punch Dustin Pedroia in the face.

Motor City Sonics is offline MotownSports Fan

The Tigers could really use the kind of relief pitcher that would try to hurt someone with a machete and then set them on fire. They need that edge back.
    World Series or Bust. Guess What? Bust........again.

Yoda is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by John_Brian_K View Post
    You are missing the Sizemore butter.......

and 'OMG SLUGGING!'
    There's no need to be obnoxious and ridicule people for valuing an important aspect in scoring runs. Slugging is far more important than grounding out to the right side of the infield to move a runner to third, for example. Posts like this just show a complete unwillingness to have an intelligent discussion on the topic.

And who cares if someone's a .300 lifetime hitter? He isn't doing that anymore, and there's a lot more to scoring runs than batting average. It's an outdated argument. You don't pay people based on what they did in the past, you pay them based on what you think they'll do in the future.

Now if you want to say he's more valuable because of his defense, then I agree with you. I think he's so overrated by some people that he has become underrated by others. But offensively, he just isn't good.
    Up above, aliens hover, making home movies for the folks back home.
    Facebook

Yoda is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Good post, completely agree.
    Up above, aliens hover, making home movies for the folks back home.
    Facebook

Eric Cioe is offline MotownSports Fan

Yes.

By the bye, here is what Polanco has done from 2010-2012. In 1251 PA: .287/.335/.362. ISO is south of .100. Defense is good at third but who's to say it'd be the same at second these days? The BA and even the OBP are decent but the SLG is absolutely brutal. He just hits singles.
    "I can't say I'm pleased to see you and warn you I may have to do something about it." Knut Hamsun

davidsb is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by lesgoblu02 View Post
    I would take an older, slower Polanco over a younger Sizemore any day of the year. If Sizemore was worth his weight, the Tigers WOULD have kept him. Utility player at best.

Quote Originally Posted by davidsb View Post
    I would take an older, slower Polanco over a younger Sizemore any day of the year. If Sizemore was worth his weight, the Tigers WOULD have kept him. Utility player at best.
    Agree with this. Never impressed with Sizemore, he's not big league starter material.

Vonlenska is offline MotownSports Fan

Agree with this. Never impressed with Sizemore, he's not big league starter material.
    You know, Sizemore OPS'd .778 with Oakland last year in 300 AB. That's above average for a 2B.
    2003 Tigers = 2010 Tigers
    2012 AAT: Josue Carreno 0-2, 3.30 ERA, 1.10 WHIP, 2.4 BB/9, 7.8 K/9

Quote Originally Posted by Vonlenska View Post
    You know, Sizemore OPS'd .778 with Oakland last year in 300 AB. That's above average for a 2B.
    I was actually just looking at that and was going to edit my post. You're right, pretty good...

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    There's no need to be obnoxious and ridicule people for valuing an important aspect in scoring runs. Slugging is far more important than grounding out to the right side of the infield to move a runner to third, for example. Posts like this just show a complete unwillingness to have an intelligent discussion on the topic.

And who cares if someone's a .300 lifetime hitter? He isn't doing that anymore, and there's a lot more to scoring runs than batting average. It's an outdated argument. You don't pay people based on what they did in the past, you pay them based on what you think they'll do in the future.

Now if you want to say he's more valuable because of his defense, then I agree with you. I think he's so overrated by some people that he has become underrated by others. But offensively, he just isn't good.
    It was a joke....relax.

I find it funny though after I make a joke like that you go on to say 'who cares if he is a lifetime .300 hitter.' Well obviously I do or I would not have brought it into the discussion. I thought we could gauge something from his proven track record of hitting for average and striking out about 3 times a year (I know it is like 40-50....just in case).

And I could argue that we have had a dogpile at second since we got rid of him and having a steady gold glove caliber second baseman who can hit for average would be nice right now wouldn't it? Not every single person on the team needs to be a slugger.

Do you honestly think Gold Gloves and career average are reasons to keep an old player around?
    Twitter | Last.fm | Blog

Vonlenska is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by John_Brian_K View Post
    It was a joke....relax.

I find it funny though after I make a joke like that you go on to say 'who cares if he is a lifetime .300 hitter.' Well obviously I do or I would not have brought it into the discussion. I thought we could gauge something from his proven track record of hitting for average and striking out about 3 times a year (I know it is like 40-50....just in case).

And I could argue that we have had a dogpile at second since we got rid of him and having a steady gold glove caliber second baseman who can hit for average would be nice right now wouldn't it? Not every single person on the team needs to be a slugger.
    There's not hitting for power, and then there's slugging in the .350s.
    2003 Tigers = 2010 Tigers
    2012 AAT: Josue Carreno 0-2, 3.30 ERA, 1.10 WHIP, 2.4 BB/9, 7.8 K/9

Blog Entries

JBK is wearing his Juan Pierre jersey as we speak.

Quote Originally Posted by drownwithyou View Post
    Do you honestly think Gold Gloves and career average are reasons to keep an old player around?
    Do you honestly think we have been better at the position since he left?
    Do you honestly think we would not have been better with him at second the last 4 years or so?

Yes. I realize who I'm talking with so I'll just leave it at that.
    Twitter | Last.fm | Blog

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast