Gehringer_2 is offline MotownSports Fan

Default On the Bright Side

One thing a little lost in the mediocre hitting and bullpen play since the hot start, is that with the emergence of the Porcello we have seen in the last three starts and the replacement of Drew Smyly for Penny, we appear to have a rotation where each starter can easily run off two or three consecutive QS. Assuming Valverde settles down or gets bounced out of the closer's role - that means in turn that this team actually has better potential to rip off a nice winning streak than the '11 team ever did.
    'No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens

2014 AAT: WXXXy AXXXXs/Ezequiell Carrera
    2013 AAT: Javier Betancourt

tiger337 is online now MotownSports Writer

yup, I agree the starting staff is shaping up pretty well. Even without Fister, their starting staff ranks really well on the fielding independent statistics:

k/9 3rd
    BB/9 1st
    K/BB 1st
    FIP 2nd
    xFIP 2nd
    SIERA 2nd

American League Team Stats » 2012 » Starters » Advanced Statistics | FanGraphs Baseball
    Last edited by tiger337; 05-06-2012 at 09:09 PM.
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

"They can use both (old- and new-school statistics)," Cabrera said. "In 2012, we've got to take advantage of all that.

IdahoBert is offline MotownSports Fan

I agree. When they stop sputtering and start playing as they are capable they are going to put together some good streaks. With all their poor play, they are still 14-13, and in a mediocre division at that upon whom they should be able to beat up handily. They way we feel about their recent play, however, makes their record in our minds seem something closer to 11-16, even though it's not.
    "If you want a guarantee, buy a toaster."--Clint Eastwood

2014 Adopt A Tiger: Aníbal Sánchez, RSP

PuNk42AE is online now MotownSports Fan

The hopeful thing is that when our SP might hit a low spot hopefully the offense is clicking by then. There will always be streaks in both directions, but we're still so early into the season to worry.

Has anyone ever read anything about what an average Blown Save amount is per season? I would assume it's around 4/7 for a closer and 8/13 for a team?
    VT B.R.B. "We only part to meet again"

2014 AAT: RHP Warwick Saupold

Æ

Hart is offline MotownSports Fan

Just imagine, last year at this time we had no Fister, no Smyly, and a lesser Porcello. And I have a lot of confidence Porcello and Smyly are going to keep pitching well.

TheCouga is offline MotownSports Fan

Now I have that Monty Python song in my head. Thanks, G2!
    Distribution of wealth is not in any way democratic. It is, in fact, tyrannical, in that a very select few own almost all of it, while most have little to no access. To have a country that prioritizes wealth over individual rights is the antithesis of democracy.

Corky is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hart View Post
    Just imagine, last year at this time we had no Fister, no Smyly, and a lesser Porcello. And I have a lot of confidence Porcello and Smyly are going to keep pitching well.
    But we still had a Furbush.
    2014 AAT - Phil Coke

I was thrown out of N.Y.U. my freshman year for cheating on my metaphysics final, you know. I looked within the soul of the boy sitting next to me. - Alvy Singer

catswithbats is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hart View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Corky View Post
    But we still had a Furbush.
    And at this point last year, wasn't Scherzer pitching really well too?
    Adopt-a-Tiger 2014: José Ortega

Walkoff Woodward | Cats With Bats | walkoffwoodward | catswithbats

PuNk42AE is online now MotownSports Fan

Scherzer was probably in Toledo at this time, and then came up like a new man.

Edit: nevermind, was that actually 2010 and NOT last year? Oops
    Last edited by PuNk42AE; 05-07-2012 at 12:03 AM.
    VT B.R.B. "We only part to meet again"

2014 AAT: RHP Warwick Saupold

Æ

Charles Liston is offline MotownSports Fan

Also on the bright side, our leadoff man seems to have an OBP of .388 and an ISO of .204. Add in elite defense at a premium position and you're well beyond "star". Take a bow, Lloyd. Also on the bright side, Boesch batted 8 today and someone who could actually get on base batted 2. Thanks Jimmy.

Scottwood is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

I think a bit too much was expected of the offense. If you look at career numbers heading into the season, we basically have 6 regulars who are league average hitters (Jackson, Boesch, Young, Peralta, Dirks, Raburn), one very good hitter (Avila) and two of the top 10 hitters in the game in Cabrera and Fielder. The stats should eventually come around to reflect that we have a pretty good hitting team, but this is not an elite hitting lineup and that shouldn't be expected.

I expect our pitching staff will be underrated this year because our defense is easily one of the worst in MLB. I still see us as a roughly 90 win team that wins its division. Anything can happen in the playoffs, and we do have a number of streaky hitters. We just have to hope they get hot at the right time.
    Dreaming about a repeat of 1984, 1968, 1945 and 1935

sabretooth is online now MotownSports Fan

I'm not really disappointed overall, except I am worried about the following:

- The bullpen: other than Valverde's struggles, which are mighty, there's also Marte's setback with the hamstring denies them a potential go-to setup guy who can strike people out consistently. Losing 5 of 15 games with the lead after 7 innings so far is a huge stepback from 2011.

- Boesch: I got a chance to see the two games on TV this weekend and he looks lost at the plate, still swinging at everything and not connecting on anything. I would hope that after 100 PAs he'd have his head together. If Boesch doesn't get it straightened out, we're going to have to hope that Dirks can hold down RF on an everday basis.

I'm not worried about Raburn, yet, at least he is connecting with the ball once or twice a game; I still think he'll be fine overall and have a fairly normal season (.750 OPS) when it's over.

I agree with G2 that Porcello and Smyly are great improvements so far over Porcello circa 2011 and Penny. Although Penny ripped off some good starts last spring, he always had control problems and was never sharp. Smyly looks very impressive and has good command. I'm not sure what we have in Porcello just yet but he's better than last year.

Add Fister to the mix, if he's healthy this rotation is going to be easly 50+ runs better than last year, even with less-than-average defense behind them.

As for the defense, I generally liked what I saw on the field this weekend. Cabrera has settled in at 3B and is making the routine plays, and Dirks appears to be recovered physically in LF. Even Raburn looked competent snagging the ball and turning the pivot at 2B. The worry obviously is the limited range all over the place. I'd still prefer to see Raburn in LF and Santiago/Worth at 2B, but for now this could work.
    Introibo ad altare Dei

2013 AAT: Jim Price