Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    ToledoTigerFan is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Mitchell View Post
    Dumb as a rock Elmon will be moved now and quickly.
    Despite what happened, now is NOT the time to deal Delmon. His market value has never been lower. There is no way the Tigers could get a fair return.
    2010 Adopt-A-Tiger, The GREAT Ernie Harwell
    2012 Adopt-A-Tiger, The GREAT Luke Putkonen
    2013 Adopt-A-Tiger, The GREAT Confesor Lara

Antrat is online now MotownSports Fan

There is not one team that would trade for Delmon Young if this turns out to be true.
    My neighbor thinks I'm following or even stalking her, she is worried that I may be obsessed with her and any time she hears a noise in her house she is...purified? Oh, wait: petrified. Sorry, it's not easy reading a diary through binoculars from a tree.

thefunk is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Antrat View Post
    There is not one team that would trade for Delmon Young if this turns out to be true.
    White Sox.

Dirty player for a dirty team. He'd fit in well.
    GO TIGERS

ROMAD1 is online now MotownSports Fan

his statement was an apology and then his spokesman issues a statement that says much of the news has been untrue.

Sports_Freak is offline MotownSports Fan

There should be "codes of conduct" written into every MLB contract. As well an engaging in dangerous acts.
    Teams, ALL teams, should also have a curfew, with big time fines for violations.

These players are getting paid more money then the vast majority of Americans will make in a lifetime.
    I don't know how much Delmon makes, but he lost a boatload of money because of this, a contract year.
    Inge was making 6 million this year? That's 200k per year for 30 years. How many of us make THAT much money? And many of these players make this much, and more, for many years. They should be held to a different level of discipline than a factory worker, office worker or just a regular Joe. (Or Josephine )

But, that's just my opinion. I don't know what went down, I wasn't there. But if the facts support the story, he should be made a lesson of and released by the Tigers. See if some other team wants to deal with him. I would rather see Dirks in LF anyway, I'm a huge fan of his. I think he would produce more with the bat AND with his defense.
    2014 AAT: Brennan Smith
    2013 AAT: Brennan Smith
    2012 AAT: Brennan Smith
    2010 AAT: Armando Galarraga

DaYooperASBDT is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

If I were GM or owner of the Tigers, Delmon would be gone. Yesterday.
    This isn't the first rodeo.
    2014 Adopt A Tiger: Casey Crosby
    These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... Morons.
    VT

Motor City Sonics is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Sports_Freak View Post
    There should be "codes of conduct" written into every MLB contract. As well an engaging in dangerous acts.
    Teams, ALL teams, should also have a curfew, with big time fines for violations.

These players are getting paid more money then the vast majority of Americans will make in a lifetime.
    I don't know how much Delmon makes, but he lost a boatload of money because of this, a contract year.
    Inge was making 6 million this year? That's 200k per year for 30 years. How many of us make THAT much money? And many of these players make this much, and more, for many years. They should be held to a different level of discipline than a factory worker, office worker or just a regular Joe. (Or Josephine )

But, that's just my opinion. I don't know what went down, I wasn't there. But if the facts support the story, he should be made a lesson of and released by the Tigers. See if some other team wants to deal with him. I would rather see Dirks in LF anyway, I'm a huge fan of his. I think he would produce more with the bat AND with his defense.

Sorry, I don't believe in issuing curfews for grown men. He's a grown up and he makes his own decisions. How do you enforce a curfew of a grown man with a union as powerful as the MLBPA? You can't......and frankly, you shouldn't have to.

He should be released, but with the money they are forking over - we are stuck with him for the rest of the year - but the good news is that his salary will be going somewhere else next year.
    World Series or Bust. Guess What? Bust........again.

sabretooth is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by ToledoTigerFan View Post
    Despite what happened, now is NOT the time to deal Delmon. His market value has never been lower. There is no way the Tigers could get a fair return.
    I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but who gives a **** about his market value???? I'm willing to overlook bad behavior and focus between the lines, but this kind of thing is really over the top.

It's not like he had any market value before this incident...he was given up for nothing by the Twins the middle of the 2011 season, just after his one good ML season in 2010. I don't think we could have received much more than a bucket of dried paint for DY, even if he hadn't disgraced himself.
    Introibo ad altare Dei

2013 AAT: Jim Price

jz
    jz is offline Released

I had never heard about this until today.

sabretooth is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by DaYooperASBDT View Post
    Absolutely correct. If Illitch wants to personally commit himself to DY's reclamation, that's his business, but I would not stand for this if I were him.
    Introibo ad altare Dei

2013 AAT: Jim Price

NeedMoreLike84 is offline Released

Quote Originally Posted by sabretooth View Post
    Absolutely correct. If Illitch wants to personally commit himself to DY's reclamation, that's his business, but I would not stand for this if I were him.
    Please. Racial slurs and anti-sematism are nothing. They are a blip on the radar. It's the media. I'm a crazy person!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DaYooperASBDT View Post
    Oh, same here. If I were the GM, he would've gotten his outright release about 5 seconds after I learned about the drunken escapade.

Quote Originally Posted by jz View Post
    I had never heard about this until today.

That proves nothing. The bat probably spontaneously flew out of DY's hands right at the ump.

smr-nj is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ROMAD1 View Post
    thinking about this...

Young is apparently going to deny the charges. So who can prove what? If Yankee fans wanted to screw him...they could just this way.
    I gotta ask.
    What the HELL do Yankee fans have to do with this?
    Of all the things in life I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

Antrat is online now MotownSports Fan

Yankee fans are the cause of 68.7 % of all evil acts in the western hemisphere.
    It's a known fact.
    My neighbor thinks I'm following or even stalking her, she is worried that I may be obsessed with her and any time she hears a noise in her house she is...purified? Oh, wait: petrified. Sorry, it's not easy reading a diary through binoculars from a tree.

lordstanley is offline MotownSports Fan

I hope that people who are calling for Young's release are doing so because they think he sucks at baseball. Because if it's a question of character or punishing him for his crime, c'mon, Miguel Cabrera is still on this team. In my eyes at least, his DUI last year that endangered lives was, oh I don't know, maybe 10x or 100x worse than crudely insulting someone.

smr-nj is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Antrat View Post
    Yankee fans are the cause of 68.7 % of all evil acts in the western hemisphere.
    It's a known fact.
    Come closer.
    I need to kick somebody's ***.
    Might as well be you, toots.
    Of all the things in life I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

UncleTy is offline Released

Delmon yelling that someone is a @##$ing jew is not a crime. That guy was not touched from what I understand. So, no crime there. Might not be the most polite thing to yell, but how is name calling a crime? Heck, he was telling the truth if the guy was a jew.

Now, if he pushed a guy and that guy wants to file charges, then okay, that is a crime. But, really? Name calling is now a crime? Pathetic.

ROMAD1 is online now MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by smr-nj View Post
    I gotta ask.
    IF

IF

IF

Oblong is online now MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by sabretooth View Post
    I think there's issues with the player's association that come into play now that it's entered the legal arena and there's potential substance abuse issues at play. May not be so simple. The organization may not have the option to just let him go now. Probably have to play the DL games for awhile. That's just a guess.

Gehringer_2 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by UncleTy View Post
    Delmon yelling that someone is a @##$ing jew is not a crime. That guy was not touched from what I understand. So, no crime there. Might not be the most polite thing to yell, but how is name calling a crime? Heck, he was telling the truth if the guy was a jew.

Now, if he pushed a guy and that guy wants to file charges, then okay, that is a crime. But, really? Name calling is now a crime? Pathetic.
    If it was an out of towner, pressing charges for a minor injury case is hardly worth the time and travel, except possibly as a set-up to a civil damages case - and even that seems pretty thin.
    'No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens

2014 AAT: WXXXy AXXXXs/Ezequiell Carrera
    2013 AAT: Javier Betancourt

Gehringer_2 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Oblong View Post
    I think there's issues with the player's association that come into play now that it's entered the legal arena and there's potential substance abuse issues at play. May not be so simple. The organization may not have the option to just let him go now. Probably have to play the DL games for awhile. That's just a guess.
    Is there an alcohol policy in the new CBA? I remember there was a lot of criticism that the old one covered lots of drug issues but not much on booze.
    'No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens

2014 AAT: WXXXy AXXXXs/Ezequiell Carrera
    2013 AAT: Javier Betancourt

potthole is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by John_Brian_K View Post

Maybe Delmon is a bigot. Shoot, he most likely is. That fact doesn't mean he belongs in jail or to be released from his job.
    If I yell out racist statements at work or while acting as a representative of my employer, I'm getting canned. I'll take it a step further. Even if I'm not on the clock or at an out-of-work function while representing my employer, and I get hammered, then get popped and thrown in the can, with or without racist comments involved, my butt is winding up in HR with certain paperwork being filled out. Are you really suggesting a pro baseball player doesn't need to be held at such standards too?

You seem to get more and more ignorant with each post I've read thus far in this thread.

I am not embarrased for NOT slamming a guy for getting drunk and doing something stupid.
    But yet in the post I quote above you said Delmon Young is "most likely a bigot." Nope, that's not slamming at all.

You really cannot think of an instance?

How about:
    When racial slurs are thrown at you?
    Wow. You don't get it, do you?

Thanks for the advise, but I will keep trying to have a conversation about this situation. Feel free to add to the discussion or simply keep trying to make me out to be soemone who should be 'embarrassed by my comments'.
    YOU SHOULD BE! I still have eight pages of this thread to read-- this can only get better.
    Last edited by potthole; 04-28-2012 at 12:04 AM.
    2014 AAT: Jeff Jones

*ESTREPE1*
    VT

sinister porpoise is offline MotownSports Fan

do you wish to reconsider this in light of his family's history of diabetes and the professional examples of Kirby Pucket and Prince Fielder?
    Is there a family history of diabetes in the Young family aside from Dmitri? His alcoholism and 300+ pound frame has something to do with the disease.

I'm not slamming Delmon solely for his weight. But he's not taking care of his body nor has he made improvements in several areas of weakness as a player: plate discipline, fielding, baserunning. He's a former #1 overall pick that destroyed the minors yet over almost 3000 PA he has a -0.2 WAR. I find it hard to believe that a conscientious professional with that level of natural talent can't do better than OBP-AVG = ~0.20 (i.e. .280 batting average .300 OBP), his weight is just another manifestation of the underlying lack of dedication.

Puckett was heavy but he played a good outfield and posted great batting lines, Fielder is heavy but hits the hell out of the ball. If Delmon didn't have so much room to improve I wouldn't tag him with the label of lacking dedication to his craft.

Yoda is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

I gotta ask.
    Oh nooooz someone insulted Yankee fans!

It was pretty obvious what he meant, I'm not sure why you're even questioning it?
    Up above, aliens hover, making home movies for the folks back home.
    Facebook

sinister porpoise is offline MotownSports Fan

Question

Kirby Puckett
    Speaking of him,

1984; 24 years old; 557 AB; 0 HR
    1985; 25 years old; 691 AB; 4 HR
    1986; 26 years old; 680 AB; 31 HR

Violent temper, glaucoma, stroke and inability to maintain a healthy body weight (when off-cycle) are all symptoms of long-term steroid abuse.

Bill James Goldmine 2008
    "Two of the greatest home run under-producers of all time were teammates: Kirby Puckett and Gary Gaetti in 1984. Puckett hit no home runs (-16), Gaetti hit only 5 (-19). Suggesting the possibility that the Twins’ two World Championships may have been aided by their team being among the first to discover…well, I’d better not go there. Nor will I point out that Gaetti was bald and had acne and Puckett died young."

The Truman Show is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by lordstanley View Post
    I hope that people who are calling for Young's release are doing so because they think he sucks at baseball. Because if it's a question of character or punishing him for his crime, c'mon, Miguel Cabrera is still on this team. In my eyes at least, his DUI last year that endangered lives was, oh I don't know, maybe 10x or 100x worse than crudely insulting someone.
    Oh yeah, I don't care about making a stand or proving something. Players are assets with values and risks. Young's value doesn't justify much risk.

Obviously, I've been pretty vocal of my dislike for Young, but I'd say the same about any player with a bench profile. If Dirks did it, I'd want him in Toledo for a while.
    I cohost a terrific AL Central podcast here:http://invertedw.com/
    I tweet here:http://twitter.com/champaigncaviar

TheCouga is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by sinister porpoise View Post
    Delmon's career suggests a lack of dedication to his career. He is a natural athlete but seems content to make a lot of money as a mediocre professional. His plate discipline, defense and baserunning should be better. Alcoholism or other off-field problems might go a long way to explaining his chubby physique and apparent inattention to his own shortcomings as a player.
    I agree. He just doesn't have a desire to succeed. I think the Tigers have a strong clubhouse, and I had thought that him coming over here might change that. It hasn't worked so far. There's been some signs he's been more patient at the plate lately. But his fielding is just as bad as it's ever been.

I'm a pretty forgiving person, though. I think he still owes an apology to Jewish people, but I'd prefer he come back to the team with a chip on his shoulder and something to prove.
    Distribution of wealth is not in any way democratic. It is, in fact, tyrannical, in that a very select few own almost all of it, while most have little to no access. To have a country that prioritizes wealth over individual rights is the antithesis of democracy.

Lousluggage is offline MotownSports Fan

I think that's mostly the case. IIRC, there were a couple of people who called for dumping Cabrera after the last DUI incident, but not many.
    This spot, and a place in my heart, is reserved for TC.

Come closer.
    I need to kick somebody's ***.
    Might as well be you, toots.
    Be careful, because Antrat might very well enjoy that. ;)

I agree with you, though, I don't see what Yankees fans have to do with anything here... I think the person knocked to the ground was from Chicago, no?

Mehm is offline MotownSports Fan

Good point. Call me crazy, but I'm not at all outraged by this. Panhandlers can be extremely aggressive, obnoxious and can make one feel threatened. Can anyone here honestly say that in a fit of anger or intoxication, they've NEVER, EVER referred to someone based on their race, religion, age, appearance, etc?

I'm not really sure what people expected when the Tigers got Delmon Young. He was a poor fielder and could hit decent on occasion that we got for absolutely nothing. He hasn't disappointed me in the least in that department and had in fact exceeded expectations last season. Face it, if the Tigers had something better to put out there, they would have.

wait.... so now we're using someone's approach at the plate and ability and using that as character judgements in how they act off the field? Call me nuts but I think that's taking things just a bit too far.

I think I missed that episode of Perry Mason where he brought up a guy's walk rate %.

wait.... so now we're using someone's approach at the plate and ability and using that as character judgements in how they act off the field? Call me nuts but I think that's taking things just a bit too far.

I think I missed that episode of Perry Mason where he brought up a guy's walk rate %.
    That's a good point. FWIW, I think most people are saying that this is a sign that DY is not committed to improving his play, or that it might affect his performance on the field (the excessive drinking, not the assault).

Motor City Sonics is offline MotownSports Fan

Delmon Young is a ****ing idiiot. That's all I have to say really. He's a ****ing idiot.
    World Series or Bust. Guess What? Bust........again.

tiger337 is online now MotownSports Writer

I'd like to see him released due to insufficient baseball skills. I thought there was some chance he could get back to his 2010 form this year. His early play doesn't make me feel good about that happening though. If the incident somehow leads to his release, then that's good.
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

"They can use both (old- and new-school statistics)," Cabrera said. "In 2012, we've got to take advantage of all that.

Quote Originally Posted by Lousluggage View Post
    That's a good point. FWIW, I think most people are saying that this is a sign that DY is not committed to improving his play, or that it might affect his performance on the field (the excessive drinking, not the assault).
    I see those two things as entirely separate. Lots of players have poor approaches at the plate and don't appear to drop jew bombs in public. Babe Ruth, Mickey Mantle.... two guys with legendary and notorious off the field lifetstyles had a good approach at the plate. And we have Ty Cobb to take care of the racism angle.

I just don't see the connection.

Shorthop is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Motor City Sonics View Post
    Delmon Young is a ****ing idiiot. That's all I have to say really. He's a ****ing idiot.
    I have mentioned previously that I have met Mr Young, and the above is my assessment also. When the Rays got rid of him, (and Elijah Dukes, his buddy), I was pleased. When the Tigers signed Young, it was like finding dog poop on my shoes.

tiger337 is online now MotownSports Writer

I see those two things as entirely separate. Lots of players have poor approaches at the plate and don't appear to drop jew bombs in public. Babe Ruth, Mickey Mantle.... two guys with legendary and notorious off the field lifetstyles had a good approach at the plate. And we have Ty Cobb to take care of the racism angle.

I just don't see the connection.
    The only connection might be that a player getting so intoxicated that he has to be hospitalized the morning before a game may not be as dedicated to the game as he could be. I would agree that the slur doesn't say anything about him as a baseball player.
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

"They can use both (old- and new-school statistics)," Cabrera said. "In 2012, we've got to take advantage of all that.

Quote Originally Posted by tiger337 View Post
    The only connection might be that a player getting so intoxicated that he has to be hospitalized the morning before a game may not be as dedicated to the game as he could be. I would agree that the slur doesn't say anything about him as a baseball player.
    yeah I agree with that fully. that's part of your job to make sure you are as prepared as possible. I just don't make the leap to the kind of player you are which is what I saw earlier in the thread, that somehow his lack of ability to take a walk or tendancy to swing at a bad pitch is a link to him being a bad person off the field.

irishmick79 is offline MotownSports Fan

Wow, just....wow. The Young brothers have sure left a fine legacy in Detroit. I was looking for another Tiger to hate on now that Inge is gone, and I think I found my guy. I understand that NYC panhandlers can be aggressive and pushy, but I don't understand how somebody who has to deal with them gets to the point of being screaming mad and chasing people around so you can hit them, nevermind using racial or ethnic slurs. Just unacceptable behavior from a pro athlete in the national spotlight.

That being said, I do wonder about who he was partying with. Unless he's already burned a lot of bridges in the clubhouse, I have a hard time believing he was flying solo the whole night.
    VT
    2009 Adopt-a-Tiger draft:Zach Miner

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast