Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    John_Brian_K is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pyrotigers View Post
    Is there any evidence at all that Delmon Young was? No. I don't understand why you seem to think the normal response to being insulted racially is to respond with your own racial insults anyway.
    I never said it was 'normal'. We all know DY has had some anger issues. I am just not going to throw him under the bus for something as insignificant as yelling racial slurs and pushing someone down...ESPECIALLY while drunk. being drunk is a choice yes...so was him responding the way he did. It is not 'good' or 'right', but could be understandable.
    "And that is part of the larger pattern of the appeal of a new online collectivism that is nothing less than a resurgence of the idea that the collective is all-wise, that it is desirable to have influence concentrated in a bottleneck that can channel the collective with the most verity and force."

CapitalTigers is offline MotownSports Fan

Henning tweeted that alcohol could warrant a spot on the DL.

It would buy some time for the Tiger's too to make a decision and Danny Worth could come up.
    I like a man who grins when he fights--- Sir Winston Churchill.

alwaysthrowheat is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by John_Brian_K View Post
    I am trying to get in Delmons head and understand why he would use those words. Having been called a 'cracker' a handful of times in my life isnt on the same level with what Delmon most likely has had to deal with in his life.

I think everyone is completely missing my point. Whatever..
    And it isn't on the same level as what a lot of Jews have had to deal with in their lives, either.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cioe View Post
    You didn't offend anyone. You just seem like you're trying to let the guy off the hook before he's already on it by arguing from a number of shaky premises. I'm not ready to string the guy up or anything, I just don't care for his play and now I don't care for what personality I have seen. I think both his play and his actions here reflect really poorly on the organization and to me that's enough to get rid of him.
    Because there ar ea number of people trying to put him on the hook without knowing everything, but waht is being reported. DY has a history of bad behavior so it is only natural for a news agency to pounce on it and report it as a 'hate crime'. I am giving him the benefit of the doubt because there really was no 'victim'.

And that is my point....people are using this as an excuse to get rid of him because they do not like him as a player and overstating what happened. That is why I am defending him.
    "And that is part of the larger pattern of the appeal of a new online collectivism that is nothing less than a resurgence of the idea that the collective is all-wise, that it is desirable to have influence concentrated in a bottleneck that can channel the collective with the most verity and force."

T&P_Fan is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalTigers View Post
    Henning tweeted that alcohol could warrant a spot on the DL.

It would buy some time for the Tiger's too to make a decision and Danny Worth could come up.
    So:
    Jackson
    Boesch
    Cabrera
    Fielder
    Eldred (just a guess)
    Avila
    Peralta
    Dirks
    Raburn

Danjo is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysthrowheat View Post
    And it isn't on the same level as what a lot of Jews have had to deal with in their lives, either.
    I wouldn't say that. Jews and Blacks have both been through some tough times. I don't think either has the corner on that market.
    I edit my posts because of typos. I'm horrible at typing quickly.

alwaysthrowheat is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
    I wouldn't say that. Jews and Blacks have both been through some tough times. I don't think either has the corner on that market.
    You wouldn't say what? That this Jewish guy hasn't had as many racial slurs fired at him as Delmon has? I was simply stating that both minorities have been the victims of racism.

As a Jew, this really doesn't even bother me that much. I think that Delmon was just blurting out "******* jew" because the guy was probably annoying him. Not because he actually hates Jews. I don't care how he feels about Jews one way or the other, anyway. Two things bother me here:

1) Being drunk gives you an excuse to blurt out stupid stuff. It doesn't.

2) Being drunk the night before a game is not just a personal problem, it's a team problem. These players are adults, and curfews do not need to be imposed. However, he's not doing what's best for the team here. And also remember, Delmon is going to be a free agent this offseason. He's playing for his next contract. Apparently, it's not that important to him.

Also, QFT:
    Quote Originally Posted by reality View Post
    That is what I do not get. I have not seen anywhere that DY was the recipient of any racial slurs. However, JBK immediately started referring to the victim as the poor Jew. And continued by using a poor assumption that DY was provoked. Clearly JBK is the one who already made judgement on the issue before learning all of the facts.
    Last edited by alwaysthrowheat; 04-27-2012 at 01:52 PM.

Blog Entries

That is what I do not get. I have not seen anywhere that DY was the recipient of any racial slurs. However, JBK immediately started referring to the victim as the poor Jew. And continued by using a poor assumption that DY was provoked. Clearly JBK is the one who already made judgement on the issue before learning all of the facts.
    I never said 'poor jew' I said 'poor jewish boy'....Jew has a negative conotation and it would do you well, to add to the credibility of what you are saying, to not try and make it seem like I called him a 'Jew'.

And the reason I said 'poor jewish boy' is because when all the dust is settled he was called a bad name. That is it! Where is the 'victim'? Did you read the story? The Jewish boy was not the one thrown to the ground. The dude from Chicago was.

Making it seem like the Jewish boy was beat up and dragged through the sewers is ridiculous. He was called a bad name...boo hoo.

tiger337 is offline MotownSports Writer

Quote Originally Posted by T&P_Fan View Post

Lee, I bet you wish you would have taken that .800 ops bet with me now...who knew?
    ha! The problem with that kind of bet is I never want to be in a position where I might be tempted root for a Tiger to do poorly. I was actually hoping for a bounce back to 2010 even if I didn't expect it.
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

"They can use both (old- and new-school statistics)," Cabrera said. "In 2012, we've got to take advantage of all that.

UncleTy is offline Released

I am more pissed at DY for swinging at too many balls with his expanded strike zone and not getting enough hits...and he defense ain't so great. However, name calling, while not exactly proper and polite, is not a crime. People get drunk and say stupid stuff. If he committed assault, then he should pay the price for that, but geez, this political correctness is getting out of hand. Saying stupid stuff makes him an insensitive idiot, not a criminal.

The Truman Show is offline MotownSports Fan

I never said it was 'normal'. We all know DY has had some anger issues. I am just not going to throw him under the bus for something as insignificant as yelling racial slurs and pushing someone down...ESPECIALLY while drunk. being drunk is a choice yes...so was him responding the way he did. It is not 'good' or 'right', but could be understandable.
    I think the point is that a lot of us in the thread don't view yelling racial slurs and pushing someone down as insignificant. I think those things are really significant.
    I cohost a terrific AL Central podcast here:http://invertedw.com/
    I tweet here:http://twitter.com/champaigncaviar

Eric Cioe is offline MotownSports Fan

I love your take and better yet the name that you're posting it under.
    "I can't say I'm pleased to see you and warn you I may have to do something about it." Knut Hamsun

Shelton is offline MotownSports Fan

The thing is, being a bigot is not a very unique quality unfortunately. I'm sad that delmon young has turned to be one.

I don't feel the need to wait for the legal process to play out. It's a minor legal issue and will likely result in no more than some sort of fine or probation. The legal consequences of his actions mean very little to me.

What offends me is that he acted this way. Maybe I shouldn't let it affect me. I don't know delmon young. I'll never meet him. He's not even an important part of the team really. But he still represents the team that I follow. I guess that is what it comes down to.

I don't feel the need to let the facts play out. I don't think there is much media spin. From what I have read, the facts are these:

Delmon young was outside the team hotel at 2:30.
    A Jewish panhandler was there as well.
    Witnesses reported delmon yelling "****ing Jew" at him repeatedly.
    A group of Chicago hotel patrons wet there as well.
    Delmon followed one into the hotel lobby and physically confronted him and shoved him to ground, leading to some scrapes.
    Delmon was taken to a hospital to sober up.

Now, there are a number of other things that are not known, namely what exactly the Chicago guy said to delmon to provoke him into the shove. Whatever the case, there is no amount of provocation that can reasonably be seen as justifying the fact that delmon was outside the hotel at 2:30 and yelling racial slurs at a Jewish panhandler.

Sure, the shove may have been provoked, but there is no excuse to follow someone and assault him.

This type of activity is deplorable and no amount of intoxication can lessen the fact that he said those things and acted out at the other hotel patron.

I think attempts to defend him are misplaced and makes me question the moral compass of those who do.
    AAT: Ian Kinsler

Because there ar ea number of people trying to put him on the hook without knowing everything, but waht is being reported. DY has a history of bad behavior so it is only natural for a news agency to pounce on it and report it as a 'hate crime'. I am giving him the benefit of the doubt because there really was no 'victim'.
    The news agencies are reporting it as a hate crime because that is what he has been charged with. That's a fact.

There most certainly was a victim. For better or worse, Americans have decided that yelling racial slurs can be punishable by law. So by definition there is a victim.

I would also say that all of us are victims in this because our world is a shittier place when stuff like this happens, and shittier yet when people try to rationalize a millionaire harassing a beggar.
    "I can't say I'm pleased to see you and warn you I may have to do something about it." Knut Hamsun

Oblong is offline MotownSports Fan

I don't care if the Jewish Panhandler called Young a nazi n-word and threatened to castrate him..... the panhandler doesn't play for the Detroit Tigers. Delmon does.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelton View Post
    This type of activity is deplorable and no amount of intoxication can lessen the fact that he said those things and acted out at the other hotel patron.

I think attempts to defend him are misplaced and makes me question the moral compass of those who do.
    I'll get on board this train.

tiger337 is offline MotownSports Writer

Quote Originally Posted by Shelton View Post
    The thing is, being a bigot is not a very unique quality unfortunately. I'm sad that delmon young has turned to be one.

I don't feel the need to wait for the legal process to play out. It's a minor legal issue and will likely result in no more than some sort of fine or probation. The legal consequences of his actions mean very little to me.

What offends me is that he acted this way. Maybe I shouldn't let it affect me. I don't know delmon young. I'll never meet him. He's not even an important part of the team really. But he still represents the team that I follow. I guess that is what it comes down to.

I don't feel the need to let the facts play out. I don't think there is much media spin. From what I have read, the facts are these:

Delmon young was outside the team hotel at 2:30.
    A Jewish panhandler was there as well.
    Witnesses reported delmon yelling "****ing Jew" at him repeatedly.
    A group of Chicago hotel patrons wet there as well.
    Delmon followed one into the hotel lobby and physically confronted him and shoved him to ground, leading to some scrapes.
    Delmon was taken to a hospital to sober up.

Now, there are a number of other things that are not known, namely what exactly the Chicago guy said to delmon to provoke him into the shove. Whatever the case, there is no amount of provocation that can reasonably be seen as justifying the fact that delmon was outside the hotel at 2:30 and yelling racial slurs at a Jewish panhandler.

Sure, the shove may have been provoked, but there is no excuse to follow someone and assault him.

perfect.
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

"They can use both (old- and new-school statistics)," Cabrera said. "In 2012, we've got to take advantage of all that.

T&P_Fan is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Well said S-dawg. I am down with that.

I hope when I get drunk tonight I don't pull a delmon.

sabretooth is offline MotownSports Fan

Shelton's got it right. Being drunk and/or black doesn't excuse being a violent racist ahole, and being a contrarian doesn't excuse defending such bankrupt behavior.
    Introibo ad altare Dei

2013 AAT: Jim Price

Juck Verllo is offline MotownSports Fan

Well said Shelton. You nailed it.
    My Cocaine is a good actor

NeedMoreLike84 is offline Released

I consider racial slurs to be a very significant thing. I don't say them ever. Not even after a couple beers. I've been called a "honkey" and a "cracker" in anger before. I didn't turn around and drop an n-bomb on them. Because I don't do that and I don't feel that way about black people.

And Shelton absolutely nailed it.

ROMAD1 is offline MotownSports Fan

What kind of lawyer does Delmon have that he's being led out in handcuffs? Is that normal for millionaires? Or does it just apply to those whose HR have knocked the Yankees out of the playoffs?

[edit: I guess he's on his way to the arraignment...so...but still]

Quote Originally Posted by T&P_Fan View Post
    Well said S-dawg. I am down with that.

I hope when I get drunk tonight I don't pull a delmon.
    Right. I know when my friends and I go out for beer after two the racial slurs start flying. But it's okay because these words are insignificant.

plantcitytigersfan is offline MotownSports Fan

I agree with Shelton, well stated.

Larry
    2012 AAT Brandon Loy

waffel is offline MotownSports Fan

You'll be missed.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cioe View Post
    I love your take and better yet the name that you're posting it under.
    You love the take of a person misrepresenting what I said?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NeedMoreLike84 View Post
    I consider racial slurs to be a very significant thing. I don't say them ever. Not even after a couple beers. I've been called a "honkey" and a "cracker" in anger before. I didn't turn around and drop an n-bomb on them. Because I don't do that and I don't feel that way about black people.
    Neither have I for the thiird time.

Neither have I for the thiird time.

I am not saying you do. But the fact that you find then insignificant and that drinking helps excuse them is ridiculous.

A.J.K. is offline MotownSports Fan

can we get a photoshop or 2 already?
    2014 AAT: Luke Putkonen
    2013 AAT: Darin Downs
    All-time AAT: Jim Walewander

MissouriKaline6 is offline MotownSports Fan

It's never a dull moment being a Tigers fan!
    2014 AAT: Joba Chamberlin

ballmich is offline MotownSports Fan

I hope Delmon is in the line-up tonight. My sense is that he hits better when he's mad and has a chip on his shoulder.
    Manus haec inimica tyrannis ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.

Quote Originally Posted by ballmich View Post
    I hope Delmon is in the line-up tonight. My sense is that he hits better when he's mad and has a chip on his shoulder.
    I kind of hope he's in the cooler tonight.

Don Kelly in lineup

Mark The Shark is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Oblong View Post
    I don't care if the Jewish Panhandler called Young a nazi n-word and threatened to castrate him..... the panhandler doesn't play for the Detroit Tigers.
    The panhandler would be a defensive upgrade over Delmon.
    2012 Adopted Tiger -- RHP Luis Marte

tigerbomb13 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by waffel View Post

You'll be missed.
    As will that baseball.
    2014 Adopt-A-Tiger: Robbie Ray

Gehringer_2 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by tiger337 View Post
    Last night was the sixth anniversary of Young's bat throwing incident.
    That's weird. I'm not sure I believe in that kind of co-incidence
    'No Way To Prevent This, Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens

2014 AAT: WXXXy AXXXXs/Ezequiell Carrera
    2013 AAT: Javier Betancourt

tigerbomb13 is offline MotownSports Fan

Proper defense when defending one's self against Delmon: Throw a baseball, because he'll most definitely go chasing.
    2014 Adopt-A-Tiger: Robbie Ray

4hzglory is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by tiger337 View Post
    perfect.
    I 2nd that
    Micah 7:7

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast