Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    John_Brian_K is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NeedMoreLike84 View Post
    If you don't know the facts then why are saying "mountain out of a molehill?"
    Because based soley off the report IMO there is nothing to see here. Some people hate Delmon with the white hot intensity of a thousand suns...it is documented on this site. They are using this to add to their hate of him and I hate that I have to defend him all the time because I am not a big fan of his to begin with.
    "And that is part of the larger pattern of the appeal of a new online collectivism that is nothing less than a resurgence of the idea that the collective is all-wise, that it is desirable to have influence concentrated in a bottleneck that can channel the collective with the most verity and force."

NeedMoreLike84 is offline Released

Quote Originally Posted by John_Brian_K View Post
    I said 'Not sure how the media will twist'.

Based on the initial report and not knowing what the other guy was doing or saying I will save my over reaction for when I find out Delmon was soley responsible...and no I do not put much weight into Delmon being the only one arrested at this point.

I reserve the right to over react if I hear a bunch of other crazy stuff like Delmon torturing kittens or something.

What if they were Jewish kittens?

jz
    jz is offline Released

Charged with a hate crime according fox Fox.

CapitalTigers is offline MotownSports Fan

More details being released:

Delmon Young #21 of the Detroit Tigers poses for a portrait on February 28, 2012. (Credit: Elsa/Getty Images)
    Filed under
    Daily J PM, Local, News, Radio.com - News, Radio.com - Sports, Sports, Syndicated Local, Syndication, Tigers
    Related tags
    Delmon Young, Detroit Tigers, Sports

DETROIT (WWJ) - Big troubles Friday for a Detroit Tigers slugger, as the team prepares to take on the Yankees in New York.

NYPD spokesman Detective Marc Nell told WWJ Newsradio 950 that Delmon Young was arrested early Friday morning and charged with aggravated harassment.

Nell said the 26-year-old allegedly made an anti-semitic remark and assaulted a man in front of the Hilton Hotel on 6th Avenue in New York.

According to the New York Post, a panhandler wearing a yarmulke approached a group of people to ask for some change — and that’s when Young, who was nearby, started shouting, “F–king Jews! F–king Jews!”

The confrontation quickly turned physical, according to police, when Young allegedly pushed a 32-year-old man to the ground.
    Last edited by CapitalTigers; 04-27-2012 at 12:12 PM.
    I like a man who grins when he fights--- Sir Winston Churchill.

Blog Entries

What if they were Jewish kittens?
    Jewish kittens are the same as (white?) kittens and black kittens and chinese kittens and mexican kittens and baseball playing kittens etc etc.
    "And that is part of the larger pattern of the appeal of a new online collectivism that is nothing less than a resurgence of the idea that the collective is all-wise, that it is desirable to have influence concentrated in a bottleneck that can channel the collective with the most verity and force."

Casimir is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by tiger337 View Post
    Dombrowski knows that Young is not that good which is why he took so long to tender him a contract during the off season. He probably couldn't get much in a trade, so he was hoping that Young would finally realize his potential this year, especially after showing some decent power at the end of last year. Young is off to a poor start and now this incident happens, so I think they are probably happy to dump him.
    This.

ROMAD1 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by moonwatcher View Post
    Lots of Judge Dread here. You want to convict him without hearing it out. But anyone who's been out drinking past 2am knows that this kind of thing happens. It hardly ever involves the police. So why we're they called? Perhaps the aggressor is deemed to be "menacing."

Calling him out for his play is surely warranted. Instant conviction by reading the media's distilled report on the manner is another.
    there is something to this line of reasoning...but one can hardly say that being drunk and involved in a police incident of any kind is the sort of thing i'd do before the night before I had to work. Baseball is different of course.

Because based soley off the report IMO there is nothing to see here. Some people hate Delmon with the white hot intensity of a thousand suns...it is documented on this site. They are using this to add to their hate of him and I hate that I have to defend him all the time because I am not a big fan of his to begin with.
    You don't have to defend him. He doesn't even know you.

be rational...is he still a net asset to the 2012 World Series winning Detroit Tigers?

Quote Originally Posted by ROMAD1 View Post
    be rational...is he still a net asset to the 2012 World Series winning Detroit Tigers?
    This is kind of my point. It it's true, what is the point of keeping him?

reality is offline MotownSports Fan

Yeah...I am sure the poor jewish guy didn't call Delmon anything derogatory...

Mountain out of a mole hill....unless it comes out he has a SERIOUS drinking problem.

Scenario:

A couple dudes are out drinking....they are baseball fans....they split up and one of them sees Delmon Young...knowing who he is...maybe the dude starts crap with him....maybe Delmon (sober) would have done nothing...and maybe the drunk Delmon (like just about everyone drunk) does something stupid.....maybe the guy is calling him racial slurs...maybe they get into it and the police are called and Young just cannot let go of his anger...while in the company of the police he says some 'bad things' that hurt the poor Jewish guys feeling...and the cop over hears it.

He was drunk, made a dumb decision and I am sure the media is going to be all over this 'hate crime' in NY...a Jewish slur in NY? Watch out DY. Dude may get crucified...
    Wow not sure this post could be any more ignorant. The only thing that was reported was that DY was arrested and that he is being charged with a hate crime due to derogatory comments. The fact that you referred to the alleged victim as the "poor jewish guy" twice is telling. Furthermore, your comments regarding the potential result of a hate crime in NY adds to the ignorance of your post. You sir are an absolute embarrassment.

RatkoVarda is offline MotownSports Fan

more details. looks like a good Samaritan did not appreciate Delmon's crap:

NEW YORK -- Detroit Tigers left fielder Delmon Young has been arrested on a hate crime assault charge after police say he attacked a group of men and yelled anti-Semitic epithets.

Police say Young was standing outside of the Hilton New York, not far from Times Square. A group of about four Chicago tourists staying there were approached by a panhandler wearing a yarmulke. As the group walked up to the hotel doors, Young started yelling anti-Semitic epithets. Police say it's not clear who he was yelling at, but he got into a tussle with one of the Chicago group, who sustained scratches to his elbows.

The man, 32, refused medical attention, New York detective Joseph Cavitolo told the Detroit Free Press.

Police were called, and Young was arrested at 4 a.m. local time at 54th Street and 6th Avenue. He was hospitalized at first because he was believed to be intoxicated.

Young faces a misdemeanor "aggravated harassment hate crime" charge and was being processed Friday, Cavitolo said, according to the Free Press.

Cavitolo said he did not know if the victim of the assault, which happened around 2:30 a.m. ET, was Jewish.

When asked to comment on the incident by the Free Press, Tigers spokesman Rick Thompson said: "We'll get back to you."

Kamakzie is offline MotownSports Fan

Well this is just dandy....
    2014 AAT: Nick Castellanos | 2013 AAL: Nate Burleson
    Brian Bluhm Estrepe1 is #1
    RIP Brian Schultz beloved cousin 10/31/1971 - 12/18/2009

TigersSlappy is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cioe View Post
    What I know with that case is the following: a guy in neighborhood watch was suspicious of a kid, called the cops who told him to let it be, and then went up to the kid, probably tangled with him, and then shot him. The point with that case is that a kid is dead because a guy couldn't mind his own business.
    Except, according to the most recent Reuters reports what you "know" here isn't what happened. I do agree it's usually better to wait until all the facts come out, in Delmon's case and all others.
    2014AAT-Buck Farmer 2013AAT-Mr Ilitch 2013 AAL-Nick Fairley 2012AAL-Willie Young 2012AAT-Dixon Machado 2011AAL-Tom "Killer" Kowalski 2011AAT-Heather Nabozny 2010AAT-Phil Coke 2008&2007AAT-Sergio Collado
    2007AT-AAT-Alan Trammell

This is kind of my point. It it's true, what is the point of keeping him?
    Maybe he is. Maybe he promises to play like he's being pursued by demons and actually does. And then its a story of redemption that will warm the hearts of fans.

Eric Cioe is offline MotownSports Fan

Because based soley off the report IMO there is nothing to see here.
    He broke the law, and he's a public figure.

The whole hate crime angle is a weird one because to me it seems like all crimes are hate crimes.

But think about it this way: Delmon walked past panhandlers, noticed their religious gear, and had to make a comment. He's a millionaire, and they're begging for money on the streets of New York. Guess who has the power in that relationship? All Delmon had to do was what any of us who lived in a big city do a dozen times a day: "sorry, sir." That's it. It was so easy to avoid, just like Cabrera's drunk driving was.
    "I can't say I'm pleased to see you and warn you I may have to do something about it." Knut Hamsun

tiger337 is offline MotownSports Writer

He is barely an asset even without the incident.
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

"They can use both (old- and new-school statistics)," Cabrera said. "In 2012, we've got to take advantage of all that.

Quote Originally Posted by tiger337 View Post
    He is barely an asset even without the incident.
    What is the WAR impact of a suspension?

Quote Originally Posted by reality View Post
    Wow not sure this post could be any more ignorant. The only thing that was reported was that DY was arrested and that he is being charged with a hate crime due to derogatory comments. The fact that you referred to the alleged victim as the "poor jewish guy" twice is telling. Furthermore, your comments regarding the potential result of a hate crime in NY adds to the ignorance of your post. You sir are an absolute embarrassment.
    I agree with you. That whole post felt kind of racially insensitive to me. Not saying he is racist cause I have no idea. But I felt the post came across that way.

2010WSChamps is offline MotownSports Fan

black guy bashing jews in NY. GREAT IDEA.

Antrat is offline MotownSports Fan

Thread moved to political forum in 3....2...1....
    "I'm disabled"

jj04 is offline MotownSports Fan

I think it's safe to say that if he was out with someone else, he wasn't with YOU KNOW WHO because the New York media would have been all over that.

Now carry on. (that's just been stuck in my head since I started reading this thread.)
    B.R.B. (1981-2007) We only part to meet again
    My music blog
    AAT on Brian's behalf: Jake Thompson

2010WSChamps is offline MotownSports Fan

Not saying Delmon didn't do anything, but I'm going to predict right now that the charges get dropped.

RedRamage is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Wait... he pushed a man and the dude got scratches? Nothing to see here....

Pretty dumb that he was "highly intoxicated", though. But that's pretty vague.
    Yeah... I'd like more details before I pass too much judgement. Way to much vague comments:

What's "Highly intoxicated?" How reliable are the sources? Did the man pick a fight with Young or did Young instigate it?

Let me be clear: Young is still in the wrong. He shouldn't have been drinking enough to even appear intoxicated. He shouldn't have pushed the individual. He shouldn't have been up and about that late at night to put yourself in a position given you are a public figure in a "enemy city" when you're playing their team.

But the details of this story could make it everything from a:

"Young had a couple of drinks, dude picked a fight and Young pushed him out of the way on his walk back to the hotel."

to a:

"Young was smashed drunk, walking around the streets of NY and too exception to a Yankee's fan saying 'you suck!' and assulted him."

If it's the former, then Young was stupid. If it was the later, then Young needs to be released.

RedRamage is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Shelton View Post
    There is plenty to see here, yoda. Shoving a guy to the ground outside a hotel at 3am the day of a game and being so drunk as to have to go the hospital prior to arrest is pretty significant.

I'd put him on the restricted list today.

Makes me wonder who he was out with.
    This worries me too. Boesch and Young are supposed to be friend, no? Boesch and Young have both been off to very slow starts despite having pretty good a Spring Training.

redshark63 is offline MotownSports Fan

Later today...the "I'm sorry that I got caught" non-apology apology.
    2014 AAT: Drew VerHagen

waffel is offline MotownSports Fan

So he was yelling anti-Semitic stuff to the panhandling Jew. Then some OTHER random guy intervened and he pushed THAT guy to the ground? How is that a hate crime?

So when is the press conference scheduled?
    The one where Delmon reads an apology that someone else wrote and tries to act sincere.

EDIT: I see, Red Shark is ahead of me on that one!
    "I'm disabled"

alwaysthrowheat is offline MotownSports Fan

Cabrera can get away with this stuff, because he's a star on the field. Delmon can't. Unfortunately though, I doubt anything comes out of this besides a couple of days on the restricted list.

If it was really a panhandling Jew with a yarmulke, he probably was just trying to get Delmon to buy something, and he was drunk; therefore, it was annoying.
    Last edited by alwaysthrowheat; 04-27-2012 at 12:35 PM.

CapitalTigers is offline MotownSports Fan

Love to be a fly on the wall when Leyland got the phonecall from Dombrowski explaining the situation.
    I like a man who grins when he fights--- Sir Winston Churchill.

tiger337 is offline MotownSports Writer

What is the WAR impact of a suspension?
    well, he has negative WAR this year, so the suspension would make him more valuable.
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

"They can use both (old- and new-school statistics)," Cabrera said. "In 2012, we've got to take advantage of all that.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by reality View Post
    lol

You are from Jersey. What a surprise you think I am the embarrassment!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cioe View Post
    He broke the law, and he's a public figure.

The whole hate crime angle is a weird one because to me it seems like all crimes are hate crimes.

But think about it this way: Delmon walked past panhandlers, noticed their religious gear, and had to make a comment. He's a millionaire, and they're begging for money on the streets of New York. Guess who has the power in that relationship? All Delmon had to do was what any of us who lived in a big city do a dozen times a day: "sorry, sir." That's it. It was so easy to avoid, just like Cabrera's drunk driving was.
    I was not there so I can not reliably say 'It was easy to avoid'.

RatkoVarda is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by waffel View Post
    So he was yelling anti-Semitic stuff to the panhandling Jew. Then some OTHER random guy intervened and he pushed THAT guy to the ground? How is that a hate crime?
    In NY that is, apparently, a misdemeanor aggravated harassment hate crime. Makes sense to me that you cannot go around screaming kike, ******, faggot, spic, wop, ect at people without some repercussion.

Biff Mayhem is offline MotownSports Fan

Would somebody please photoshop Mel Gibson's head on a Delmon Young jersey for me?

Thank you very much.
    VT Twitter

That was a lot of tequila. - Davy Knowles summary of his band's tour with Chickenfoot

lol

You are from Jersey. What a surprise you think I am the embarrassment!
    Careful! My girlfriend, SMR-NJ is from Jersey. Them is fightin' words!
    "I'm disabled"

waffel is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by RatkoVarda View Post
    In NY that is, apparently, a misdemeanor aggravated harassment hate crime. Makes sense to me that you cannot go around screaming kike, ******, faggot, spic, wop, ect at people without some repercussion.
    Misdemeanor aggravated harassment hate crime for yelling "F-cking jew"? Really?

TigerForever is offline MotownSports Fan

There is plenty here

This is no Young had a few and lost his cool
    As new details emerge we now know that young had to be taken to the hospital for his level of intoxication
    and secondly He left marks granted that on its face may not be much however consider this, in most states any marks left during a domestic assault and some one goes to jail. This is no different
    lastly He crossed the line to the point he is being charged with a hate crime. Cops hear it all, small taunts are normally ignored. this had to be pretty bad to be chargeable, other wise the charges would be laughed out of court
    He also has a history of stupidity and aggression
    "Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much." --- Oscar Wilde

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by waffel View Post
    Misdemeanor aggravated harassment hate crime for yelling "F-cking jew"? Really?
    The world we live in. Sigh....

Poor guy had his feeling hurt. I am sure Delmon has never heard any slurs. Probably on that night as well. I have no idea, but again I am not proclaiming anything at this point just trying to dampen the flames form the 'cut him!' 'he is a racist!' 'he has behavior problems!' chants from the peanut gallery until the police finish the investiagtion. Notice I didn't say 'hear all the facts'.

We never hear all the facts from the 'media'.

pyrotigers is offline MotownSports Fan

I was not there so I can not reliably say 'It was easy to avoid'.
    You can reliably say that it was easy to avoid yelling '******* Jews' in public. Here's how you do it: Shut your stupid mouth.
    Kobernoooooous

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast