Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    ROMAD1 is online now MotownSports Fan

remember the 2006 Tigers also had a member of the Young family spin out of control in their midst.

Casimir is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Shelton View Post
    Right. He probably just lost his balance.
    And got misinterpreted. And was just out trying to get some warm milk because he coudln't fall asleep at 3am. And his past transgressions are probably mostly fabricated as well.

Frink is offline MotownSports Fan

Cut him. Most obvious of the three necessary cuts (Schlereth and Inge being the other two) in this young season.
    VT
    2012 Adopted Tiger: Rod Allen!

NeedMoreLike84 is offline Released

Seems like you gotta release him at this point. It's not like he is Fielder or Cabrera where the decision is hard cause they are stars. Seems pretty easy choice at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by ROMAD1 View Post
    remember the 2006 Tigers also had a member of the Young family spin out of control in their midst.
    So you're saying the Tigers are World Series bound?

Quote Originally Posted by Casimir View Post
    So you're saying the Tigers are World Series bound?
    yes, yes I am.

I was thinking the same thing. I dunno if Delmon is an alcoholic, but Dmitri is (by his own admission). So the question at least has to be asked if he has the same problem.

tiger337 is online now MotownSports Writer

Quote Originally Posted by Antrat View Post
    I wish Sandy Koufax were in his prime and pitching for the Yankees for one game.
    Delmon would be the leadoff hitter.
    Koufax was a very gentle person who rarely hit a batter even when he had control problems earlier in his career. He probably just would have struck him out four times instead.
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

"They can use both (old- and new-school statistics)," Cabrera said. "In 2012, we've got to take advantage of all that.

Eric Cioe is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by tiger337 View Post
    It's not a big deal that a human being pushed another human being down. The guy might even have provoked him.
    It is a big deal that someone pushed someone else down. It's like almost getting hit by a car (like I did on my bike yesterday) in that it may not do any real harm but it's out of the ordinary enough to tell your acquaintances about.

And who cares if the guy provoked him? Even if the guy called Delmon some variety of racial slur, prompting Delmon to do the same, that's not grounds for dropping a guy. Not much is in the 21st century.
    "I can't say I'm pleased to see you and warn you I may have to do something about it." Knut Hamsun

CapitalTigers is offline MotownSports Fan

At least Tiger's players are loose before big series! Can't say this team stresses over big match-ups.

This only hurts Delmon. He's going to be a free-agent and he's throwing away lots of big time cash.
    I like a man who grins when he fights--- Sir Winston Churchill.

froggyvk is offline MotownSports Fan

Delmon Young finally hit something.

Tony Paul ‏ @TonyPaul1984

Spoke to NYPD. Delmon Young is being questioned by police this very second.
    Retweeted by Ryan Field

John_Brian_K is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NeedMoreLike84 View Post
    Free Press is reporting that he also yelled some offensive racial slurs at the guy who was Jewish. So, sounds like a quality individual.
    Yeah...I am sure the poor jewish guy didn't call Delmon anything derogatory...

Mountain out of a mole hill....unless it comes out he has a SERIOUS drinking problem.

Scenario:

A couple dudes are out drinking....they are baseball fans....they split up and one of them sees Delmon Young...knowing who he is...maybe the dude starts crap with him....maybe Delmon (sober) would have done nothing...and maybe the drunk Delmon (like just about everyone drunk) does something stupid.....maybe the guy is calling him racial slurs...maybe they get into it and the police are called and Young just cannot let go of his anger...while in the company of the police he says some 'bad things' that hurt the poor Jewish guys feeling...and the cop over hears it.

He was drunk, made a dumb decision and I am sure the media is going to be all over this 'hate crime' in NY...a Jewish slur in NY? Watch out DY. Dude may get crucified...
    "And that is part of the larger pattern of the appeal of a new online collectivism that is nothing less than a resurgence of the idea that the collective is all-wise, that it is desirable to have influence concentrated in a bottleneck that can channel the collective with the most verity and force."

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Huge deal that he was that drunk and being an idiot, not a big deal that he pushed a guy and the dude fell down. The other guy may have been drunk as well. Maybe he lost his balance. Who knows. Pushing someone isn't a big deal though and I doubt he'll be charged with much of anything. It's not like he beat the life out of him.

It's a big deal. Not sure how you can twist it any other way. It's a really big deal.

The thing is that corner outfielders are not that expensive. Delmon had some pop but wasn't a great defender. Replacing what production he had shown thus far won't be that hard. Quentin Berry, anyone?

I wonder if this team needs V-mart to return to the locker room to remind everyone that they are playing for a WS championship.

Quote Originally Posted by John_Brian_K View Post

Mountain out of a mole hill....unless it comes out he has a SERIOUS drinking problem.

Scenario:

A couple dudes are out drinking....they are baseball fans....they split up and one of them sees Delmon Young...knowing who he is...maybe the dude starts crap with him....maybe Delmon (sober) would have done nothing...and maybe the drunk Delmon (like just about everyone drunk) does something stupid.....maybe the guy is calling him racial slurs...maybe they get into it and the police are called and Young just cannot let go of his anger...while in the company of the police he says some 'bad things' that hurt the poor Jewish guys feeling...and the cop over hears it.

He was drunk, made a dumb decision and I am sure the media is going to be all over this 'hate crime' in NY...a Jewish slur in NY? Watch out DY. Dude may get crucified...
    Well, I'm glad you have already decided that the Jewish guy is a racist too. Thanks for that insight. Why are you being so dismissive of him? Seems weird. And since there was an incident between two people and only one of them was arrested and charged it gives me a decent indication that maybe this was unprovoked and since he was charged with a hate crime it seems there is evidence that the violence was racially motivated.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalTigers View Post
    It's a big deal. Not sure how you can twist it any other way. It's a really big deal.
    It's not a big deal. Not sure how the media will twist it to seem like a big deal. It's not a really big deal.
    "And that is part of the larger pattern of the appeal of a new online collectivism that is nothing less than a resurgence of the idea that the collective is all-wise, that it is desirable to have influence concentrated in a bottleneck that can channel the collective with the most verity and force."

Blog Entries

Seems like you gotta release him at this point. It's not like he is Fielder or Cabrera where the decision is hard cause they are stars. Seems pretty easy choice at this point.
    Holy over reaction batman!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cioe View Post
    It is a big deal that someone pushed someone else down. It's like almost getting hit by a car (like I did on my bike yesterday) in that it may not do any real harm but it's out of the ordinary enough to tell your acquaintances about.

And who cares if the guy provoked him? Even if the guy called Delmon some variety of racial slur, prompting Delmon to do the same, that's not grounds for dropping a guy. Not much is in the 21st century.
    I'm mostly a pacifist, so it would be a big deal if it involved me or someone close to me. However, a lot of people are not pacifists and it's not uncommon for guys to get into fights and many even enjoy it. How big of a deal it is depends on the circumstances. I suspect the guy was looking for trouble and will try to get some money out of it. Regardless, Young handled the situation poorly.
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

"They can use both (old- and new-school statistics)," Cabrera said. "In 2012, we've got to take advantage of all that.

I understand people saying this may be a mountain out of a mole hill. It very well could be. But the fact remains that Young has a history, and right or wrong, there is a previous history with the club from Dmitri's days as well.

I would think that Delmon, because of his own history, would be smart enough to keep himself out of troublesome situations. This situation illustrates that that may not be the case.

I would think that Delmon, probably knowing a bit about Dmitri's history with the same front office that now employs himself, would be smart enough to keep himself in better standing than Dmitri did because (a) its the right thing to do and (b) he's in a contract season. This situation illustrates that that may not be the case.

Possibly, very possibly, Delmon is in the right here. But the stat sheet as we know it now just doesn't add up, and likely not enough of it can be refuted to the point where Delmon comes out as the innocent party. And there's usualy not much good that can come from being out in NYC around 3am anyway.

MotorCityKitty is offline MotownSports Fan

I wonder if this team needs V-mart to return to the locker room to remind everyone that they are playing for a WS championship.
    Part of me was thinking this the other day, I think they are seriously missing the leadership of Vmart in the clubhouse. It's becoming quite obvious. Hurry back Vmart.

I would be fine with seeing Berry come up when Eldred cools off/flops.
    2012 AAT: Justin Henry

Holy over reaction batman!
    No. It's not.

Mountain out of a mole hill....unless it comes out he has a SERIOUS drinking problem. ...

Watch out DY. Dude may get crucified...
    So now you're mad at the victim because Delmon is black and the guy might have said something about it?

It's not a mountain out of a molehill. You go to a bar in El Paso, start yelling stuff about a brown guy being a border jumper, push him down, and then try to continue your employment and interpersonal relationships the same way. If I found out my pal had been yelling slurs and beating up a guy who was almost surely less physically imposing and capable of doing damage, I would have hard time with it.
    "I can't say I'm pleased to see you and warn you I may have to do something about it." Knut Hamsun

It's not a big deal. Not sure how the media will twist it to seem like a big deal. It's not a really big deal.
    The media is reporting a police report. How's that twisting?

Blog Entries

Well, I'm glad you have already decided that the Jewish guy is a racist too. Thanks for that insight. Why are you being so dismissive of him? Seems weird. And since there was an incident between two people and only one of them was arrested and charged it gives me a decent indication that maybe this was unprovoked and since he was charged with a hate crime it seems there is evidence that the violence was racially motivated.
    No I am doing what I ALWAYS do....waiting for more facts before I crucify Delmon for being a racist and providing a possible scenario where I could see myself doing something similar in his condition.

Yeah because the black man has NEVER been singled out before in a situation like this. Give me a break.

I am only going to say this once because I am sick of repeating myself.

I have NO IDEA what all the facts are and I am not going to crucify Delmon or suggest he be cut from the team because of this report.

You seem to know all the facts and want to act like judge and jury. I would like to know more before I crucify Delmon is all I am saying.

Well played, Mr. Gage.
    Tom Gage ‏ @Tom_Gage
    six losses in last seven, swept at home by Seattle, Inge saga, Young arrest, so how's your April going #Tigers?

No I am doing what I ALWAYS do....waiting for more facts before I crucify Delmon for being a racist and providing a possible scenario where I could see myself doing something similar in his condition.

Yeah because the black man has NEVER been singled out before in a situation like this. Give me a break.

I have NO IDEA what all the facts are and I am not going to crucify Delmon or suggest he be cut from the team because of this report.

You seem to know all the facts and want to act like judge and jury. I would like to know more before I crucify Delmon is all I am saying.
    If you don't know the facts then why are saying "mountain out of a molehill?"

think about this incident in light of Jim Leyland's comments that I'm paraphrasing 'when this team gets tired of losing like this'

I wonder what else is going on.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Casimir View Post
    I understand people saying this may be a mountain out of a mole hill. It very well could be. But the fact remains that Young has a history, and right or wrong, there is a previous history with the club from Dmitri's days as well.

I would think that Delmon, because of his own history, would be smart enough to keep himself out of troublesome situations. This situation illustrates that that may not be the case.

I would think that Delmon, probably knowing a bit about Dmitri's history with the same front office that now employs himself, would be smart enough to keep himself in better standing than Dmitri did because (a) its the right thing to do and (b) he's in a contract season. This situation illustrates that that may not be the case.

Possibly, very possibly, Delmon is in the right here. But the stat sheet as we know it now just doesn't add up, and likely not enough of it can be refuted to the point where Delmon comes out as the innocent party. And there's usualy not much good that can come from being out in NYC around 3am anyway.
    You cannot lump Delmon in with Dimitri simply because they are brothers...I have 4 older brothers and am pretty different than they are.

Delmon has a history ..yes. That still does not mean we get to publicly crucify him when we do not have all the facts.

The standard people put on 'other people' (athletes are still just people...I do not care how much money they make) is UNREAL. Dude got in a fight and got drunk. The other guy has some scratches. Yawn

To be fair, I don't think anyone is 'crucifying Delmon' as you put it. I think people are concerned that he put himself in a situation to have the police called out at 2:40 a.m. and have a police report filed. Granted, the court of law can determine guilt or innocence, but the facts are being reported at this time that police were called and filed a report. That's all we know. As fans we have reason to be concerned.

Dude got in a fight and got drunk. The other guy has some scratches. Yawn
    Most people can lose their jobs over such incidents. Whether you like it or not or agree with that level of accountability is up to you...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cioe View Post
    So now you're mad at the victim because Delmon is black and the guy might have said something about it?

It's not a mountain out of a molehill. You go to a bar in El Paso, start yelling stuff about a brown guy being a border jumper, push him down, and then try to continue your employment and interpersonal relationships the same way. If I found out my pal had been yelling slurs and beating up a guy who was almost surely less physically imposing and capable of doing damage, I would have hard time with it.
    How do you know all of that?

Because recently in the Trayvon case we have seen the 'media' giving us ALL the facts and in an unaltered way right?

And I am not 'mad' at anyone in this situation. It is a non issue at this point...in baseball terms. Does it concern me a little that Delmon has a history? Yeah a little, but that does not mean I am going to go over board with my reaction to him pushing someone down while he was drunk.

On his trade stock:
    Lynn G. Henning ‏ @Lynn_Henning

Young incident, no matter how it plays out, won't help the Tigers move Young and a $6.75 million contract, which figured to be their plan.

You cannot lump Delmon in with Dimitri simply because they are brothers...I have 4 older brothers and am pretty different than they are.

Delmon has a history ..yes. That still does not mean we get to publicly crucify him when we do not have all the facts.

The standard people put on 'other people' (athletes are still just people...I do not care how much money they make) is UNREAL. Dude got in a fight and got drunk. The other guy has some scratches. Yawn
    Apparently you misread where I typed "right or wrong" about that.

It is what it is. Delmon is a mediocre ballplayer and seems to be a worse individual.

DontGotSheed is offline MotownSports Fan

In Delmon's defense....ummm....uhhh....hmmmm, I got nothing.
    AAT: 2012~Rob Brantly 2011~Daniel Fields 2010~Alden Carrithers

Dombrowski knows that Young is not that good which is why he took so long to tender him a contract during the off season. He probably couldn't get much in a trade, so he was hoping that Young would finally realize his potential this year, especially after showing some decent power at the end of last year. Young is off to a poor start and now this incident happens, so I think they are probably happy to dump him.
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

It has nothing to do with media spin. I've got a friend who almost surely thinks the same thing as you about this incident. With the whole Trayvon Martin thing his whole angle is, "well the media is spinning this to make it look worse than it really was." I don't watch TV and don't pay a lick of attention to sensationalist news articles. What I know with that case is the following: a guy in neighborhood watch was suspicious of a kid, called the cops who told him to let it be, and then went up to the kid, probably tangled with him, and then shot him. Hate crime, whatever, all crimes are hate crimes. The point with that case is that a kid is dead because a guy couldn't mind his own business.

The point with the Delmon case is that he was drunk, got into a big enough altercation for police to be called, and slurs were used in the process. Those are facts. Those facts make me think that probably this isn't a guy I want on the team. It reflects poorly on the organization, just as Cabrera's issues did. But there was a significant financial commitment to Cabrera, and alcoholism is a treatable disease. Racism / overaggression aren't.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalTigers View Post
    The media is reporting a police report. How's that twisting?
    I said 'Not sure how the media will twist'.

Based on the initial report and not knowing what the other guy was doing or saying I will save my over reaction for when I find out Delmon was soley responsible...and no I do not put much weight into Delmon being the only one arrested at this point.

I reserve the right to over react if I hear a bunch of other crazy stuff like Delmon torturing kittens or something.

moonwatcher is offline MotownSports Fan

Lots of Judge Dread here. You want to convict him without hearing it out. But anyone who's been out drinking past 2am knows that this kind of thing happens. It hardly ever involves the police. So why we're they called? Perhaps the aggressor is deemed to be "menacing."

Calling him out for his play is surely warranted. Instant conviction by reading the media's distilled report on the manner is another.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast