Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    TheCouga is offline MotownSports Fan

New book features interviews with Jewish Major Leaguers: UPDATE » Kaplan’s Korner on Jews and Sports

There was a story run about Scherzer being Jewish, but apparently it was an error and has since been corrected?

I know I read it somewhere before, though. I think it might have been on his Wikipedia page at one time.
    Distribution of wealth is not in any way democratic. It is, in fact, tyrannical, in that a very select few own almost all of it, while most have little to no access. To have a country that prioritizes wealth over individual rights is the antithesis of democracy.

Auburndale Ray is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Of course...There is this old saying...

There are only two types of honest people in this world, small children and drunk people...

We really don't know what's in Delmon's heart...
    I just hope this turns best for all involved...

catswithbats is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheCouga View Post
    I'm fairly positive he is.
    I read that he was Protestant, but it was on a baseball gossip site.
    Adopt-a-Tiger 2014: José Ortega

Walkoff Woodward | Cats With Bats | walkoffwoodward | catswithbats

Quote Originally Posted by catswithbats View Post
    I read that he was Protestant, but it was on a baseball gossip site.
    Interesting.

St. Louis is full of both Jews and Cathoics (he's from here). Not many protestants here.
    Distribution of wealth is not in any way democratic. It is, in fact, tyrannical, in that a very select few own almost all of it, while most have little to no access. To have a country that prioritizes wealth over individual rights is the antithesis of democracy.

slim pickens is offline MotownSports Fan

Gehringer_2 is online now MotownSports Fan

So this might only buy Dirks one series? Damn.
    'No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens

2014 AAT: Willy Adames
    2013 AAT: Javier Betancourt

bugmanson is offline MotownSports Fan

So how does that guy have a site that says "Jews and Sports" and there is no problem with that but DY adds ****ing in front and its a hate crime? If people truly want to end the use of these terms they ALL need to stop using them... the fact that people of the same race/religion can use the term but no others can is stupid... The hate crime part will get thrown out since by all reports never touched the Jewish guy.. all he did was push some idiot from Chicago. Send him to anger management and AA for a month to make people happy and he will be back.... the people who want him cut you do realize that he hits like 150 pts higher then the person you want to get more time in place of him (Rugburn).. An while DY might be slow he never threw a ball over the fence for a HR
    AaL '11 - Alphonso Smith / AaL '12 - Corey Williams / AaL '13 - Stephen Tulloch
    AaT '12 - Tyler Stohr / AaT '13 - Jose Alvarez
    AaT '14 Bruce Rondon

rhino is online now MotownSports Fan

Maybe this is Delmons rock bottom. His whole career his has been said to never have fully plyed to his potential. Maybe this incident will be the kick in the teeth he needs to motivate himself to at least give an honest effort at trying to reach that potential. Delmon is still only 26. There is still a chance he could make himself a better player.

If his legal issue is resolved in a manner that allows him to continue playing. I think the chance is good that we will see a better player than what we have seen.
    "If he could have, Guillen would've tried to steal Weaver's girl, scratched Weaver's car, stolen Weaver's lunch and if he had access to a metal folding chair he probably would have tried to hit Weaver with it." -Joe Posnanski

2008 & 2009 AAT: Mike Hessman; 2010 Cory Costo; 2011 Danny Worth

I think "hate crime" is a legitimate charge in general. If you're going to commit a violent crime influenced by racism, bigotry, etc., it doesn't just hurt the victim, it hurts the entire community. That's why there should be an additional penalty for violence caused by hate.

I'm not sure that Delmon's conduct rises to that level. What he said was inappropriate and stupid. But he could have used a lot more derogatory and hateful words than, "****ing Jew." Putting "****ing" in front of any class of people is different from calling them by racial slurs. Like if he said "****ing Italians" I don't think it would be a hate crime. But if he used the "w-word" it would be. He could have used the "k-word" in this instance, but he didn't.

But he didn't even attack the panhandler. His scuffle was with some non-Jewish dude from Chicago. Hate crimes have to be tacked on to some violent act related to the hate. You can't just yell out an insult. Here, Young's violent act was separate from the "hate" -- it was directed at a different person. So I doubt he will actually be convicted of a hate crime.
    Last edited by TheCouga; 04-28-2012 at 05:48 PM.

tiger337 is online now MotownSports Writer

Quote Originally Posted by bugmanson View Post
    .. the people who want him cut you do realize that he hits like 150 pts higher then the person you want to get more time in place of him (Rugburn).. An while DY might be slow he never threw a ball over the fence for a HR
    OPS since 2009:
    Raburn .784
    Young .753

Plus Raburn is a better left fielder. Of course, Raburn has benefited from the platoon advantage not playing every day. I'd like to see a Dirks/Raburn platoon in left. If Young were willing to DH every day, they could put him there, but then a DH who with a .753 OPS is not worth much. I'd rather give Eldred a shot.
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

"They can use both (old- and new-school statistics)," Cabrera said. "In 2012, we've got to take advantage of all that.

Quote Originally Posted by rhino View Post
    Maybe this is Delmons rock bottom. His whole career his has been said to never have fully plyed to his potential. Maybe this incident will be the kick in the teeth he needs to motivate himself to at least give an honest effort at trying to reach that potential. Delmon is still only 26. There is still a chance he could make himself a better player.

If his legal issue is resolved in a manner that allows him to continue playing. I think the chance is good that we will see a better player than what we have seen.
    wasn't he suspended for some huge span after the bat episode. yeah - he's older now, but if that didn't concentrate his mind, will this?

Quote Originally Posted by tiger337 View Post
    OPS since 2009:
    Raburn .784
    Young .753

Plus Raburn is a better left fielder. Of course, Raburn has benefited from the platoon advantage not playing every day. I'd like to see a Dirks/Raburn platoon in left. If Young were willing to DH every day, they could put him there, but then a DH who with a .753 OPS is not worth much. I'd rather give Eldred a shot.
    Young definitely should be DHing. But I'd much rather go with him over Eldred for the rest of the year.

Young definitely should be DHing. But I'd much rather go with him over Eldred for the rest of the year.
    If I was forced to choose someone for the rest of the year, I'd go with Young. Right now, I'd try to ride Eldred's hot streak which is what they had planned to do before the incident. I don't think Young is good enough where they need to guarantee him regular playing time.
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

"They can use both (old- and new-school statistics)," Cabrera said. "In 2012, we've got to take advantage of all that.

well, I'd give him a couple weeks and then check where he was .

OPS since 2009:
    Raburn .784
    Young .753

There is no way that Raburn is a better fielder then anyone, he can't field a ground ball, cant catch a fly ball... he has already made at least 5-6 bad plays this year that should have been errors that were not counted. If your gonna use stats use them all:
    1419AB .767 OPS Raburn - 7 years
    3041AB .746 OPS DY - 7 Years
    715 G 33 Errors - DY
    521 G 45 Errors - Raburn

These are both over a 7 year span...DY has double the at bats and Rayburn has a better OPS by very small number .021 And in 200 less games played he has 12 more errors already

How does that make him better that Dy

If you want to use DY/Dirks as a L/R switch until someone take the job ..I am fine since Dirks seems to have some potential... But Raburn should be part time 2nd unless he get hot then use him instead of Santiago.. Not in LF
    AaT '14 Bruce Rondon

sabretooth is offline MotownSports Fan

So how does that guy have a site that says "Jews and Sports" and there is no problem with that but DY adds ****ing in front and its a hate crime? If people truly want to end the use of these terms they ALL need to stop using them... the fact that people of the same race/religion can use the term but no others can is stupid... The hate crime part will get thrown out since by all reports never touched the Jewish guy.. all he did was push some idiot from Chicago. Send him to anger management and AA for a month to make people happy and he will be back.... the people who want him cut you do realize that he hits like 150 pts higher then the person you want to get more time in place of him (Rugburn).. An while DY might be slow he never threw a ball over the fence for a HR
    You see no difference between a web site that identifies jewish athletes and someone calling someone an "f-ing jew"?
    Introibo ad altare Dei

2013 AAT: Jim Price

Vonlenska is offline MotownSports Fan

lol. much easier to make errors at 2b. OF errors are worse. Also, errors are a terrible way to judge a fielder.
    2003 Tigers = 2010 Tigers
    2012 AAT: Josue Carreno 0-2, 3.30 ERA, 1.10 WHIP, 2.4 BB/9, 7.8 K/9

Quote Originally Posted by sabretooth View Post
    You see no difference between a web site that identifies jewish athletes and someone calling someone an "f-ing jew"?
    No, I see no difference in the fact that if you are not supposed to call them "Jews" why should be able to anyone regardless if its in a positive or negative way... Don't want people to use the term Jew.. then don't use it yourself
    AaT '14 Bruce Rondon

There is no way that Raburn is a better fielder then anyone, he can't field a ground ball, cant catch a fly ball... he has already made at least 5-6 bad plays this year that should have been errors that were not counted. If your gonna use stats use them all:
    1419AB .767 OPS Raburn - 7 years
    3041AB .746 OPS DY - 7 Years
    715 G 33 Errors - DY
    521 G 45 Errors - Raburn

These are both over a 7 year span...DY has double the at bats and Rayburn has a better OPS by very small number .021 And in 200 less games played he has 12 more errors already

How does that make him better that Dy

If you want to use DY/Dirks as a L/R switch until someone take the job ..I am fine since Dirks seems to have some potential... But Raburn should be part time 2nd unless he get hot then use him instead of Santiago.. Not in LF
    Errors don't tell me very much about a player's fielding contribution. Raburn clearly makes too many errors and bonehead plays. That's what everyone remembers, but he covers a lot more ground than Young and makes a good number of plays over the course of the season that Young can't make. Young not making plays that other players can make has a similar effect to making errors. The Tigers know Raburn is a better fielder than Young which is why they sometimes bring him for defense late in the game.

Also comparing Raburn's 45 errors to Young's 33 errors is ridiculous because 19 of those errors came at second base.
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vonlenska View Post
    lol. much easier to make errors at 2b. OF errors are worse. Also, errors are a terrible way to judge a fielder.
    I don't use any stats to judge players (I think spitting out stats is kinda lame but he used them so i figure I would to rebuttle). I use what I see and I see Raburn as being an abortion in the field no matter where he is, Dy isn't great but any means but at least its due to being slow.. not due to just being bad like Raburn
    AaT '14 Bruce Rondon

sinister porpoise is offline MotownSports Fan

He's not charged with "hate crime" btw, he's charged with aggravated harassment. The aggravating factor being religious/ethnic foundation of harassment. So argue that drunkenly yelling "****ing Jew" repeatedly at a guy wearing yarmulke and Star of David isn't harassment if you so wish.

No, I see no difference in the fact that if you are not supposed to call them "Jews" why should be able to anyone regardless if its in a positive or negative way... Don't want people to use the term Jew.. then don't use it yourself
    There's nothing wrong with saying "Jew." There is something wrong with putting an f-bomb in front of it and yelling it at someone. "White people" and "****ing white people" carry two very different meanings.

Errors don't tell me very much about a player's fielding contribution. Raburn clearly makes too many errors and bonehead plays. That's what everyone remembers, but he covers a lot more ground than Young and makes a good number of plays over the course of the season that Young can't make. Young not making plays that other players can make has a similar effect to making errors. The Tigers know Raburn is a better fielder than Young which is why they sometimes bring him for defense late in the game.

Also comparing Raburn's 45 errors to Young's 33 errors is ridiculous because 19 of those errors came at second base.
    Give him 200 more game in the OF and he will still have more then DY... A LOT more
    AaT '14 Bruce Rondon

There's nothing wrong with saying "Jew." There is something wrong with putting an f-bomb in front of it and yelling it at someone. "White people" and "****ing white people" carry two very different meanings.
    but you cant get arrested for yelling ****ing white people..
    AaT '14 Bruce Rondon

Quote Originally Posted by sinister porpoise View Post
    He's not charged with "hate crime" btw, he's charged with aggravated harassment. The aggravating factor being religious/ethnic foundation of harassment. So argue that drunkenly yelling "****ing Jew" repeatedly at a guy wearing yarmulke and Star of David isn't harassment if you so wish.
    I think it's harassment -- aggravated harassment even -- but I don't think it's a hate crime. Hate crimes usually have to have a physical violence component to them. In this case, the physical violence was directed at someone else.

Give him 200 more game in the OF and he will still have more then DY... A LOT more
    Maybe, but errors only tell me a small part about a player's fielding contribution. Raburn makes a lot more plays than Young, which more than makes up for the errors. Remember, every time Young doesn't make a play that other left fielders can make, that has essentially the same effect as making an error.

If Young is a better fielder than Raburn, why does Leyland sometimes put Raburn in left to play defense in the late innings?
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

Quote Originally Posted by sinister porpoise View Post
    Every news paper and article has been calling it a Hate crime and makes it sound like he hates all Jewish people.. This has been Blown so out of the water by the NY media they pretty much killed any chance of him returning to normal
    AaT '14 Bruce Rondon

I doubt he'd be arrested if all he was yelling was "****ing Jew."

Maybe, but errors only tell me a small part about a player's fielding contribution. Raburn makes a lot more plays than Young, which more than makes up for the errors. Remember, every time Young doesn't make a play that other left fielders can make, that has essentially the same effect as making an error.

If Young is a better fielder than Raburn, why does Leyland sometimes put Raburn in left to play defense in the late innings?
    Was does Leyland put a closer in who has a 6+ era in non-save situations in when the game is tied? He is so stuck in his ways most of his moves make no sense... tied game put a guy who is batting .56 up for some one batting .300..
    AaT '14 Bruce Rondon

I doubt he'd be arrested if all he was yelling was "****ing Jew."
    The assault had nothing to do with the guy he was yelling at..and he is not getting in trouble for the assault

He faces a misdemeanor aggravated harassment charge
    So Yes he was arrested for yelling ****ing jew

Aggravated harassment is a broad legal term that refers to intentional actions designated to intimidate or terrorize another person.
    AaT '14 Bruce Rondon

The assault had nothing to do with the guy he was yelling at..and he is not getting in trouble for the assault

He faces a misdemeanor aggravated harassment charge
    So Yes he was arrested for yelling ****ing jew

Aggravated harassment is a broad legal term that refers to intentional actions designated to intimidate or terrorize another person.
    You don't seem to know the difference between "arrested" and "charged."

The only reason the police were there was because he tackled another hotel patron.

Was does Leyland put a closer in who has a 6+ era in non-save situations in when the game is tied? He is so stuck in his ways most of his moves make no sense... tied game put a guy who is batting .56 up for some one batting .300..
    It's because Raburn is a much better fielder than Young. Here's what the defensive stats say:

Total Zone Raburn +3 Young -59
    UZR Raburn +3 Young -50
    DRS Raburn +4 Young -37
    UZR/150 Raburn +3 Young -11

In other words, Raburn has been around average compared to other left fielders in converting batted balls into outs. On the other hand, Young costs his team about 11 runs a year compared to the average left fielder. Most left fielders are pretty bad which is why Raburn is average. Young is much worse than bad.

Now, I know Gehringer is going to remind me that the defensive stats might not capture all of Raburn's mistakes! That won't come close to covering the difference though.
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

Mr. Bigglesworth is online now MotownSports Fan

How about black people and ****ing black people?

DET Mr Malefic is offline MotownSports Fan

Exclamation

One of the things I realized through this story is that I'd never seen the word "yarmulke" in print before, I'd only heard the word used verbally. At first I didn't even know what the story was referencing until context took over and I said "Ohhhhh......so that's how you spell it."
    Tigers record when in attendance: 2012: 3-2 W1 Home: 1-2, Away 2-0

Tigers record when in attendance: 2011: 6-7 L5 Home: 4-5, Away 2-1, Playoffs Home: 0-1

mickeyb105 is offline MotownSports Fan

Comparing Young and Raburn in LF is like comparing a bad cover-two corner and a bad man-to-man corner. One gives too much of a cushion and the other one presses at inappropriate times trying to make plays. At the end of the day, they are both sub-standard in LF and shouldn't ever be seen wearing a glove at the MLB level.

That said, 19 errors for Raburn at second base in that limited of action—yikes. Those are just the mistakes that are docummented. On the plus side, I did see him make an outstanding throw from the cutoff to nail a National at third base (Worth maybe? Can't remember but it happened right in front of our seats).
    2012 AAT: Fu-Te Ni

Who said that you could never refer to anybody as a jew?
    Introibo ad altare Dei

I think it's harassment -- aggravated harassment even -- but I don't think it's a hate crime. Hate crimes usually have to have a physical violence component to them. In this case, the physical violence was directed at someone else.
    I think you're right about this, but I'm no expert in this area of the law.
    Introibo ad altare Dei

Paging Ty/Duane/John....there's someone who just entered the thread recently who you will probably feel the need to defend.
    Introibo ad altare Dei

It's because Raburn is a much better fielder than Young. Here's what the defensive stats say:

Total Zone Raburn +3 Young -59
    UZR Raburn +3 Young -50
    DRS Raburn +4 Young -37
    UZR/150 Raburn +3 Young -11

In other words, Raburn has been around average compared to other left fielders in converting batted balls into outs. On the other hand, Young costs his team about 11 runs a year compared to the average left fielder. Most left fielders are pretty bad which is why Raburn is average. Young is much worse than bad.

Now, I know Gehringer is going to remind me that the defensive stats might not capture all of Raburn's mistakes! That won't come close to covering the difference though.
    Nope. I'm not going argue Delmon over Raburn. Not gonna do it. Wouldn't be prudent.

Quote Originally Posted by sabretooth View Post
    Who said that you could never refer to anybody as a jew?
    Then it is only considered harassment/hate crime because he swore first.... If that is the case.. We are all going to jail, cause i have said ****ing Inge a lot,
    AaT '14 Bruce Rondon

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast