Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mr. Bigglesworth is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by whoknew View Post
    I don't understand the objections to calling him up. Of course he's not a prospect - he's 31. But he's on fire right now. Why not catching lightening in a bottle for 2 months or so - then ship him back out?
    Here are my objections. How do you know he will catch lightning in a bottle for 2 months? How do you know Raburn or Young won't? Supposing he is hot out of the gate, how long after he stops hitting will he be placed in the line-up until the team gives up on him?

There is also the issue that just because a guy is hot at AAA doesn't mean it will translate to MLB.
    Last edited by Mr. Bigglesworth; 04-26-2012 at 01:40 PM.

davidsb is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by The Truman Show View Post
    Assuming that Inge is going to be the one moving, the question you gotta ask is, do you need the 2B help? Worth is killing the ball too, and 2B has been by far the worst spot on the field. I don't know if they're really inclined to turn it back over to just Santiago/Raburn.

If something happens to Prince/Young/Dirks/Boesch, Eldred would probably get the call just by default more than anything, given how terrible the rest of the outfielders in the high minors are.
    Worth is killing the ball and would like to see Inge DFA and Worth brought up to play full time. But in my opinion, this is secondary to improving our 14th ranked DH output with Eldred. Hitting is contagious, let's see what this bumpkin can do!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bigglesworth View Post
    Here sre my objections. How do you know he will catch lightning in a bottle for 2 months? Oh, and then there is the issue that just because a guy is hot at AAA doesn't mean it will translate to MLB.
    You can never know until you try!

whoknew is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysthrowheat View Post
    And your opinion is also subjective. I'll take Worth instead of a AAA basher who has only 40 OPS points on worth in the MLB. Gotta love the 36.5% strike out ratio, too.

Could he be a late bloomer? I guess. Odds are just that he's hot right now.

Right. So why waste that hot streak at AAA? Why not use it where it counts?

Quote Originally Posted by pyrotigers View Post
    The point merely was, a slugger, including one of those you mentioned, could very well give the Tigers some good ABs right now while they need them.
    And my point is the liklihood that he will provide enough good AB for it to actually matter by season's end is small enough that I wouldn't make the move. The team already has enough defensively challenged players, I really don't want to add another in the form of a 31 year old career minor leaguer who hasn't done squat in his career comparitively because he has had a great month of April in Toledo.

You can talk about Worth's defense all you want, but he isn't going to be getting any playing time at SS or 3B, and I doubt Jim is going to favor him over Santiago at 2nd either, so it's not going to be very valuable to the Tigers.
    I frankly cannot remember the last time I mentioned Worth in a post, so I have no idea why this is addressed to me.

For the record, I have no interest in bringing up Danny Worth, and for much the same reasons as Eldred. Hitting really well for a month in AAA does not mean much by way of predicting MLB success.

whoknew is offline MotownSports Fan

Here sre my objections. How do you know he will catch lightning in a bottle for 2 months? How do you know Raburn or Young won't? Supposing he is hot out of the gate, how long after he stops hitting will he be placed in the line-up until the team gives up on him?

There is also the issue that just because a guy is hot at AAA doesn't mean it will translate to MLB.
    Of course he may not be hot in the majors. But neither is anyone else.

Here's what we know - the Tigers aren't hitting. Eldred is on fire. He is obviously not a prospect.

So what's the harm in giving him a shot for a few weeks? The 2 months I wrote was completely arbitrary. Bring him up for 2 weeks. I don't care. My point is - he's smoking right now and the Tigers are wasting that hot streak in Toledo. Let him use it in Detroit then - when he inevitably falls back to earth - ship him out.

Quote Originally Posted by whoknew View Post
    Of course he may not be hot in the majors. But neither is anyone else.

Here's what we know - the Tigers aren't hitting. Eldred is on fire. He is obviously not a prospect.

So what's the harm in giving him a shot for a few weeks? The 2 months I wrote was completely arbitrary. Bring him up for 2 weeks. I don't care. My point is - he's smoking right now and the Tigers are wasting that hot streak in Toledo. Let him use it in Detroit then - when he inevitably falls back to earth - ship him out.
    The harm is the possibility the guy you are replacing would have performed better than Eldred.

Basically, the argument as presented is Eldred cannot be any worse than the options. Well, I don't buy that argument. I don't think it is a given Raburn / Young / Inge necessarily will continue to struggle to hit to the extent they have.

EDIT: I should be more clear on this. I believe Raburn and Young stand a better chance of outhitting Eldred moving forward. And I really don't care that much for either as a hitter. In fact, I hate Delmon Young as a hitter.
    Last edited by Mr. Bigglesworth; 04-26-2012 at 01:49 PM.

pyrotigers is offline MotownSports Fan

I frankly cannot remember the last time I mentioned Worth in a post, so I have no idea why this is addressed to me.

For the record, I have no interest in bringing up Danny Worth, and for much the same reasons as Eldred. Hitting really well for a month in AAA does not mean much by way of predicting MLB success.
    It was addressed to everyone, given that this thread, and the board in general seems to think Danny Worth should be called up for some reason.

Outside of one season of 46 at bats in 2007 in which he was monumentally terrible, Eldred has been a 90 OPS+ guy in MLB, also in tiny sample sizes. He has 282 plate appearances. The fact is we have no idea if he can hit at all in MLB. But given the Tigers current roster he wouldn't have to be very good to be an upgrade. .250/.300/.460 doesn't seem impossible to me, and that's basically what Delmon Young is supposed to be capable of doing. In fact it's almost EXACTLY what he did last season with Detroit.

By no means do I think Eldred will be a GOOD MLB player, or someone who should stick around long, but do I think it's likely he'd hit better than Young, Raburn, Inge, Dirks, and everyone else who is possibly getting at bats in LF/DH right now? Yes, I think he would.
    Kobernoooooous

Quote Originally Posted by davidsb View Post
    You can never know until you try!
    How 'bout trying Raburn or Young for 2 months? You don't want to miss their hot streaks.

It was addressed to everyone, given that this thread, and the board in general seems to think Danny Worth should be called up for some reason.
    It was written in response to one of my posts, so one can understand why I would think you were addressing me.

Outside of one season of 46 at bats in 2007 in which he was monumentally terrible, Eldred has been a 90 OPS+ guy in MLB, also in tiny sample sizes. He has 282 plate appearances. The fact is we have no idea if he can hit at all in MLB.
    I agree. We do not know if he can hit at all in MLB.

But given the Tigers current roster he wouldn't have to be very good to be an upgrade. .250/.300/.460 doesn't seem impossible to me, and that's basically what Delmon Young is supposed to be capable of doing. In fact it's almost EXACTLY what he did last season with Detroit.
    So we are supposed to replace a guy who is likely to produce at a certain level with a guy for whom it doesn't seem impossible to match the same level.

By no means do I think Eldred will be a GOOD MLB player, or someone who should stick around long, but do I think it's likely he'd hit better than Young, Raburn, Inge, Dirks, and everyone else who is possibly getting at bats in LF/DH right now? Yes, I think he would.
    I would say it is at least as likely one of those guys gets hot in the short term.

How 'bout trying Raburn or Young for 2 months? You don't want to miss their hot streaks.
    Young is the LF, we will see all of his streaks. Raburn can split time at 2B with Worth until he starts getting hot in June.

I would say it is at least as likely one of those guys gets hot in the short term.
    It probably is, but Eldred is hot right now and at least has one legit tool (power) I'm not so sure that's the case for any of those guys at this point. I'm not really sure what Delmon is supposed to be good at anymore, striking out less and hitting singles I suppose.
    Kobernoooooous

Quote Originally Posted by davidsb View Post
    Young is the LF, we will see all of his streaks. Raburn can split time at 2B with Worth until he starts getting hot in June.
    I actually could see Young getting Monroe'd and Raburn being the everyday LF. But time will tell. I tend to doubt Raburn will be released simply because he isn't blocking anyone, he doesn't object to being a primary DH, can play OF, has a good arm, OK foot speed and can play 2B if need be. Delmon, OTOH, doesn't want to DH, can only play LF (and is a less effective LF than Raburn), has no arm and no foot speed.
    Last edited by Mr. Bigglesworth; 04-26-2012 at 02:36 PM.

It probably is, but Eldred is hot right now and at least has one legit tool (power) I'm not so sure that's the case for any of those guys at this point. I'm not really sure what Delmon is supposed to be good at anymore, striking out less and hitting singles I suppose.
    Elmon is 26. It doesn't seem that likely to me he lost his power. It seems far more likely to me his is having a typical poor Elmon month, and at some point he will probably balance it out with a hot month, wherein will we see lots of wonderful threads suggesting that he has finally figured it out, and the Tigers should sign him to a 5-year deal.

OTOH, My guess is Eldred is just having one of those months where everything goes right rather than him figuring anything out. Bully for him. But shuffling around players trying to catch the tail-end of a hot streak seems to me like trying to chase small percentages you can't hope to catch.
    Last edited by Mr. Bigglesworth; 04-26-2012 at 02:35 PM.

socaltiger is offline MotownSports Fan

maybe he is the second comming of Champ Summers ? We should try it.

RandyMarsh is offline MotownSports Fan

Just read on twitter via Danny Knobler that Eldred has been called up to replace Inge.

Gehringer_2 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by RandyMarsh View Post
    Just read on twitter via Danny Knobler that Eldred has been called up to replace Inge.
    I guess I can see trying to ride a hot streak but I'd rather see some D at 2nd with Worth.
    "Well that's it - you see what you want to see and you hear what you want to hear" - Rock Man

TigersSlappy is offline MotownSports Fan

I'm really happy to see him get a chance, not expecting much but hoping he does well.
    2014AAT-Buck Farmer 2013AAT-Mr Ilitch 2013 AAL-Nick Fairley 2012AAL-Willie Young 2012AAT-Dixon Machado 2011AAL-Tom "Killer" Kowalski 2011AAT-Heather Nabozny 2010AAT-Phil Coke 2008&2007AAT-Sergio Collado
    2007AT-AAT-Alan Trammell

JayVee is offline MotownSports Fan

Just what we need, another DH!!!

2014 AAT -- #8 Wally Joyner -- Hitting Coach Extraordinaire
    Μολὼν λαβέ -- SONJE HAITI

I'll go ahead and predict a sweet 1-4 with 1 hr and 3 k debut for Mr. Eldred.
    Kobernoooooous

NeedMoreLike84 is offline Released

Quote Originally Posted by JayVee7777 View Post
    Just what we need, another DH!!!
    We don't even have "a" DH.

will the thrill is offline MotownSports Fan

Players figure it out at all different ages, to just let the guy destroy triple a and not give him a shot when your team is struggling would be a dumb move. Glad the tigers are calling him up and giving him a shot.
    Put me on record. Prince Fielder will still OPS 850+ in years 7-8-9 of this contract. (sucks that my signature has to stay this for 7 years now)

ballmich is offline MotownSports Fan

I don't mind cutting Inge to improve the ballclub, but this is pathetic. Let's just leave a spot open on the 25 man, there's no need to stoop like this.
    Manus haec inimica tyrannis ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.

lesgoblu02 is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NeedMoreLike84 View Post
    We don't even have "a" DH.
    Let alone many DH's that would necessitate an entire rack.
    Every time you play a hand of you poker you wanna run through a mental check list. Head Position Hand Position Neck Position Breathing Posture. More than 25 items. It's a lot. And that why I've come up with a handy mnemonic device. Just one word: HPHPNPBPECMSPAMDCPAFTSTTL. It's easy.

robgrave is offline MotownSports Fan

Not sure I like the idea of adding another big-bopper to the lineup. Still the same poor defense, poor team speed, and lots of K's. The occasional big knock isn't going to change things much with our offense. Sounds like a desperation move to me.
    Sometimes we'll just stink up the field -- Sparky Anderson

DaYooperASBDT is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Smokes wants Raburn to stay at second, and seems to be committed to using Young in LF. So may as well have some power at the DH spot (Eldred).
    Worth has added some power this past year, and bears watching.
    2014 Adopt A Tiger: Casey Crosby
    These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... Morons.
    VT

Shelton is offline MotownSports Fan

Love this callup. Really don't understand the objections by Biggs.

Eldred is a dh, and has very little to do with raburn and elmon. If anything, eldred may cut into dirks's playing time. I think its worth a shot. Even if you only play eldred against LHP he is replacing Inge/Santiago playing time.

13 home runs in 20 games is insane and indicates that he has the ability to hit for power.

I'm willing to sacrifice Inge and dirks plate appearances to see if he can hammer some of the aaa caliber pitchers that are in MLB.
    AAT: Ian Kinsler

PuNk42AE is online now MotownSports Fan

Congrats to Eldred. Not really expecting to get anything close to his Toledo production, but hopefully he gets 2/3 starts a week to try and show some promise. Even if he's hitting around .240 with some power will be a good pickup for our offense right now. In the majors he isn't going to get much to hit, so hopefully he can take some walks. Over his career he's got about 1/3 BB/K.
    VT B.R.B. "We only part to meet again"

2014 AAT: RHP Warwick Saupold

Quote Originally Posted by Shelton View Post
    Love this callup. Really don't understand the objections by Biggs.
    My objection is that I think he is an AAAA player, and I expect him to do poorly.

But now that Raburn is going to play 2B and Delmon LF, I suppose there is an open spot at DH.

I think Eldred can ape an Inge "good" year.

tiger337 is offline MotownSports Writer

Eldred's Toledo numbers this year are unreal. Every time I look at them, I think it's a mistake. I'm hoping the Tigers catch lightning in a bottle, at least for a few weeks.
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

"They can use both (old- and new-school statistics)," Cabrera said. "In 2012, we've got to take advantage of all that.

I expect the final line to be .236/.305/.475 with about 15-20 HR

sabretooth is offline MotownSports Fan

Brad Eldred, our savior....yaaaayyyyy.
    Introibo ad altare Dei

2013 AAT: Jim Price

Oblong is offline MotownSports Fan

I'm not expecting much but at the same time don't you look a little foolish if you are struggling offensively yet have a guy in AAA crushing it and you don't bring him up after cutting someone?

I do understand the concerns about how much time to give him. Heck, I'm still not sold on Boesch. If Eldred comes up and pulls a Chris Shelton then falls off the planet are we going to wait 3 weeks or 2 months to finally admit he's not a MLB player?

Tigeraholic1 is offline MotownSports Fan

THIS is why this sight matters... Threads like this make it all worth while.
    2014 AAT Ian Kinsler

tiger337 is offline MotownSports Writer

Quote Originally Posted by Oblong View Post
    I'm not expecting much but at the same time don't you look a little foolish if you are struggling offensively yet have a guy in AAA crushing it and you don't bring him up after cutting someone?

I do understand the concerns about how much time to give him. Heck, I'm still not sold on Boesch. If Eldred comes up and pulls a Chris Shelton then falls off the planet are we going to wait 3 weeks or 2 months to finally admit he's not a MLB player?
    Shelton was younger than Eldred and had some success in 2005 as well. There was good reason to give him a chance to get going again. Eldred is going to have a much shorter leash. Plus, I don't think the Tigers are going to mess around this year, not with all the money they've got invested in the big three.
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

"They can use both (old- and new-school statistics)," Cabrera said. "In 2012, we've got to take advantage of all that.

DaYooperASBDT is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tigeraholic1 View Post
    THIS is why this sight matters... Threads like this make it all worth while.
    Yup.
    2014 Adopt A Tiger: Casey Crosby
    These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... Morons.
    VT

Gehringer_2 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Oblong View Post
    ... I'm still not sold on Boesch. ...
    IDK, I wonder if it's time JL sit BB down and ask him if he wants to keep playing this game or not, and if he is he better get his brain back in gear. He's playing RF with all the concentration of a driver who's busy texting, and not hitting a lot better. (or he's hurt and we don't know about it....)
    "Well that's it - you see what you want to see and you hear what you want to hear" - Rock Man

The Truman Show is offline MotownSports Fan

Everyone's leash has been really short this year. We're not 20 games in, and 3 guys have already been fired (Inge/Wilk/Schlereth). If Eldred has a week of nothing but Ks, they'll kick him out just as fast as they brought him up.

Here's the thing: he's not the only star down there. If they're willing to commit that roster spot to bench hitting and not an extra infielder, Ryan Strieby is quietly posting a .296/.394/.531 line in 94 PAs. It's not as gaudy as Eldred, but Strieby is only 26, and I think his profile is easier to buy into. No doubt they'll look at him if Eldred doesn't pan out.
    I cohost a terrific AL Central podcast here:http://invertedw.com/
    I tweet here:http://twitter.com/champaigncaviar

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast