Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    CapitalTigers is offline MotownSports Fan

Inge is going nowhere...

He says it's bad luck and Leyland agrees. His average isn't representative of his AB's apparently. Who knew!? There are about 6 million reasons this year Inge isn't going anywhere. He'll be headed north with the Tiger's.

"I don't care what my average is, my swing is kind of right where I want it to be," he said after he had three at-bats Tuesday a hard single up the middle, a ground-out to shortstop, and a walk. "As opposed to last year, when my timing was perfect but I couldn't hit the ball out, my strength is there. I've hit a lot better than my average. I've hit a lot of balls hard and right at somebody."

Leyland and Dombrowski agree.

"He's hit a lot of balls on the button," Leyland said. "He's running better and swinging the bat better, and he has nothing to show for it. He hasn't been swinging the bat like a .175 or .200 hitter."

Said Dombrowski: "He's swinging the bat better than his numbers indicate. He just hasn't hit with much luck."

Brandon Inge's destiny is down to final out | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com
    Then he proceeds to say the following, which is exactly what causes fans to get tiresome of Inge's act. Just go out and hit and prove that you're a better hitter than 'other guys out there', don't tell us. This first part of the next quote from Henning's article today references the fact that he will not take a demotion to the minors this year.

I doubt it," he said. "I did that once. I try not to be one-sided about things. I felt like I owed that to them (Tigers) last year. We've had a great relationship. And I'm sure this is tough for them, too. They can't determine anything off of spring training, and yet they're gonna have to.

"But one thing I've made clear is that I don't make decisions off one bad year. I'm kind of tired of selling myself short. And I know I'm a lot better hitter than other guys out there."
    Last edited by CapitalTigers; 03-28-2012 at 09:05 AM.
    I like a man who grins when he fights--- Sir Winston Churchill.

Oblong is offline MotownSports Fan

What's his BABIP?

Yoda is online now MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Boy... someone on the team, like Cabrera, really needs to set him aside and have a heart to heart talk with him. The kid is delusional.
    Up above, aliens hover, making home movies for the folks back home.
    Facebook

Staff Infection is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Oblong View Post
    What's his BABIP?
    Well he didn't quote the part of the article that said Inge has only struck out once in like the last 12-15 at bats. With no hr and no strikeouts, his babip the last few games has to be around 100.

Blog Entries

But is being late on everything and hitting weak popups to short right really "unlucky"?
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Staff Infection View Post
    Well he didn't quote the part of the article that said Inge has only struck out once in like the last 12-15 at bats. With no hr and no strikeouts, his babip the last few games has to be around 100.
    I quoted quotes... not the writer's information.

Euphdude is online now MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

I still think Inge says poignant things like this to mess with those who are outspoken against him. Heck -- I could see myself doing something similar in his position just to have a bit of fun.

Gehringer_2 is offline MotownSports Fan

Inge's BaBIP at 46 ST AB is 189 ignoring sac flies (which I don't have the number of) but since he only has 1 rbi there can't be many
    Last edited by Gehringer_2; 03-28-2012 at 09:32 AM.
    'No Way To Prevent This, Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens

2014 AAT: WXXXy AXXXXs/Ezequiell Carrera
    2013 AAT: Javier Betancourt

tiger337 is online now MotownSports Writer

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Boy... someone on the team, like Cabrera, really needs to set him aside and have a heart to heart talk with him. The kid is delusional.
    You don't have heart to heart talks with 35-year old multi-millionaires.
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

"They can use both (old- and new-school statistics)," Cabrera said. "In 2012, we've got to take advantage of all that.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Euphdude View Post
    I still think Inge says poignant things like this to mess with those who are outspoken against him. Heck -- I could see myself doing something similar in his position just to have a bit of fun.
    Because trolling is hilarious. He's just making himself look like a doofus. If that's how he has fun then awesome, he's good at it.
    Facebook

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tiger337 View Post
    You don't have heart to heart talks with 35-year old multi-millionaires.
    I don't see what that has to do with it. I doubt Cabrera looks at him like that. They're just people on the field. He could really use a good reality check, IMO. I thought being DFA'd last year would do it, but I guess not.

Also, when his biggest asset right now is loyalty from upper-management/ownership, why is he going to announce publicly that he was only going to be loyal to the team once and that he wouldn't accept a demotion again? That isn't sending a very good message.
    Facebook

I don't. I think Yoda is spot on with this, he truly believes he's a great hitter. He's kind of lived in a bubble as a Detroit Tiger, a career low average hitter that has gotten quite a bit of recognition by battling through the 100 loss season, etc. I think Inge does believe he's still a force to be reckoned with offensively. I agree that Spring Training doesn't mean much in regards to batting average for the regular season (see Peralta 2011), but preparation coming off a year where you were DFA'd certainly would put more pressure on his situation one would think.

Staff Infection is offline MotownSports Fan

I don't see what that has to do with it. I doubt Cabrera looks at him like that. They're just people on the field. He could really use a good reality check, IMO. I thought being DFA'd last year would do it, but I guess not.

Also, when his biggest asset right now is loyalty from upper-management/ownership, why is he going to announce publicly that he was only going to be loyal to the team once and that he wouldn't accept a demotion again? That isn't sending a very good message.
    I'm sorry but why do you feel upper management is being loyal to Inge? He's been benched, replaced 3 times, and designated for assignment. That doesn't sound like an organization that's very loyal.

It would be an understatement to say that the Tiger management never blows a little smoke to try to manipulate fan opinion -- but on the other hand, since most of us have not been able see ( or even hear too often) what Brandon looks like at the plate so far this spring, it's hard to get our own feel for how he looks (yes fine - we aren't all pro scouts, but with a guy with ten years on the team most of us would like to have the chance to form our own idea - no matter how ill informed - of whether the guy looks like he is scuffling or just snake bit - it's what fans do.).

I just remember a couple months in 2010 when people looking at the stats were complaining that Boesch had no power because his HR numbers weren't there, while those of us watching the games could see his shots ricocheting all over the ballpark.
    Last edited by Gehringer_2; 03-28-2012 at 09:50 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Staff Infection View Post
    I'm sorry but why do you feel upper management is being loyal to Inge? He's been benched, replaced 3 times, and designated for assignment. That doesn't sound like an organization that's very loyal.
    No, no... I didn't say they are. I'm saying he needs them to be in order to stick around, and I don't think he's going to get it now. At least that's what everyone else seems to think, that they're just going to keep him out of "loyalty". I don't really buy it either though, there's no reason for them to.

I just though it was dumb for him to come out and say he was loyal once and isn't going to do it again because he feels he doesn't owe it. Any chance he had of getting a "loyalty" handout is gone.
    Facebook

It was meant to be a flip remark, but really isn't a heart to heart talk something you do with a kid just starting out? Inge is 35, almost done with baseball, and is set for life. Why would he change anything now?

And Cabrera isn't exactly the best of roll models on how to conduct yourself in life.
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

"They can use both (old- and new-school statistics)," Cabrera said. "In 2012, we've got to take advantage of all that.

Blog Entries

It was meant to be a flip remark, but really isn't a heart to heart talk something you do with a kid just starting out? Inge is 35, almost done with baseball, and is set for life. Why would he change anything now?

And Cabrera isn't exactly the best of roll models on how to conduct yourself in life.
    Agreed, just used him as an example. That being said, that's his personal life. On the field, he's a guy who knows a thing or two about hitting. It should be a teammate though and not a coach. I guess I just wish someone would step up and tell this guy he's not as great as he thinks he is.
    Facebook

Euphdude is online now MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Because trolling is hilarious. He's just making himself look like a doofus. If that's how he has fun then awesome, he's good at it.
    I have a hard time believing someone like Inge honestly believes he is an elite hitter, so I want to believe he's kind of messing around. Then again Inge could honestly believe he's just been the recipient of bad luck for years, and at age 34 he's about to turn the corner and become the next coming of Babe Ruth.

Blog Entries

I have a hard time believing someone like Inge honestly believes he is an elite hitter, so I want to believe he's kind of messing around. Then again Inge could honestly believe he's just been the recipient of bad luck for years, and at age 34 he's about to turn the corner and become the next coming of Babe Ruth.
    Of course that isn't the case. He obviously feels he's at least an average hitter, though.
    Facebook

Agreed, just used him as an example. That being said, that's his personal life. On the field, he's a guy who knows a thing or two about hitting. It should be a teammate though and not a coach. I guess I just wish someone would step up and tell this guy he's not as great as he thinks he is.
    Cabrera going out and getting drunk with the opposing team on the most important weekend of the season goes beyond personal life. Anyway, I don't know that Inge's teammates even see him as a problem. Ive never sensed any tension between them or heard any rumors about problems. It might be like what Euphdude just said. They might all be laughing at us.
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

Blog Entries

Inge didn't just start saying things like this. He's been doing it his whole career. I doubt he was just messing with fans as a 23 yr old fighting to keep his job...
    Facebook

Shelton is online now MotownSports Fan

Yoda, have you seen all of inge's plate appearances? I can infer from your comment about weak pop ups that you've witnessed his performance.

If not, I think it might be fair to take leyland's quotes at face value.

I don't agree with the amount of grief Inge gets from people based on his quotes about his ability. You know he's getting peppered with questions daily about his spot on the team. You don't think that gets old for him? What is he supposed to say? That his average is an accurate portrayal of how he swinging the bat?

There was an article last week from Lloyd that also said he swinging the bat well. The coaches don't have any reason to pump him up, unless you are just hell bent on being cynical about them trying to spin something that isn't there.

Inge is going to make the team over Danny worth. That's not exactly a tough thing to do.
    AAT: Ian Kinsler

Mr. Bigglesworth is online now MotownSports Fan

Inge didn't just start saying things like this. He's been doing it his whole career. I doubt he was just messing with fans as a 23 yr old fighting to keep his job...
    But who is to say what he says to the press annoys his teammates? I think that was the point being made.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bigglesworth View Post
    But who is to say what he says to the press annoys his teammates? I think that was the point being made.
    Gotcha. I didn't mean to suggest he was annoying his teammates though. From what I can tell everyone on the team loves the guy. And they should, he's a good guy, and he's insanely energetic. It's nice to have guys like that around.
    Facebook

Is it really that wildly unimagineable though that a guy who batted under .200 last year and is hitting under .200 this ST shouldn't make the team out of Spring Training? Especially since his defensive position at 3rd base is gone? I have trouble believing a 6 million dollar contract and Illitch don't have anything to do with this, otherwise I disagree with Shelton on the point about Inge easily making the roster over Danny Worth. I think Worth has a great value and versatility to this team. Also decent speed.

davidsb is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalTigers View Post
    Is it really that wildly unimagineable though that a guy who batted under .200 last year and is hitting under .200 this ST shouldn't make the team out of Spring Training?
    This is absolutely true with a rookie. Not so much for a 12-13 year vet. Inge makes the team but will have to prove himself for playing time in the regular season.

john doe is offline MotownSports Fan
    Shangri la in the Summer, Timbuktu in the Winter

Quote Originally Posted by Gehringer_2 View Post
    It would be an understatement to say that the Tiger management never blows a little smoke to try to manipulate fan opinion -- but on the other hand, since most of us have not been able see ( or even hear too often) what Brandon looks like at the plate so far this spring, it's hard to get our own feel for how he looks (yes fine - we aren't all pro scouts, but with a guy with ten years on the team most of us would like to have the chance to form our own idea - no matter how ill informed - of whether the guy looks like he is scuffling or just snake bit - it's what fans do.).

I just remember a couple months in 2010 when people looking at the stats were complaining that Boesch had no power because his HR numbers weren't there, while those of us watching the games could see his shots ricocheting all over the ballpark.

Good post, as always.
    It's pronounced Canada, and no, I haven't.

I don't remember people saying he had no power. People watch the games on TV and can see he hits the ball hard. They said that he was not getting a lot of homers for someone who is regarded as having tremendous power. He still has had 20+ homers only once in his professional career. He's doing well, but he gets built up as someone who has immense strength and power and so far his production has not really matched his reputation. I would say that his ability to hit for average has exceeded my expectations. He even walks more than expected. His power numbers are around what I would have expected.
    Last edited by tiger337; 03-28-2012 at 11:26 AM.
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

NeedMoreLike84 is offline Released

I hate this argument. People who read stats also watch games. And since you are not a scout or major league executive, why would you think your eyes carry that much weight to anyone who watches the games?

The Truman Show is offline MotownSports Fan

Boesch has had plenty of months where he wasn't hitting for any power. I don't think it's too much to ask that someone capable of hitting the ball hard actually get it over the fence.
    I cohost a terrific AL Central podcast here:http://invertedw.com/
    I tweet here:http://twitter.com/champaigncaviar

Quote Originally Posted by NeedMoreLike84 View Post
    I hate this argument. People who read stats also watch games. And since you are not a scout or major league executive, why would you think your eyes carry that much weight to anyone who watches the games?

Not saying YOU should. I'm saying that as a fan *I* would like to have more to base my own impressions on.

Heck - I'd be glad hear from anyone other than Leyland who has had a chance to watch Inge hit regularly so far give impressions of what he has seen. For anyone hitting the ball reasonably, a BaBIP under 200 is probably not sustainable. So how does he actually look is something it would be nice to have some info about.

oldglory1999 is offline Released

Time will tell with him...they won't cut him...instead if I were the manager after the first week-if he's not doing well, place him on the bench...for a while. He'll get the idea-just maybe time to call it a career.

TJ
    TJ is offline MotownSports Fan

Cabrera going out and getting drunk with the opposing team on the most important weekend of the season goes beyond personal life. Anyway, I don't know that Inge's teammates even see him as a problem. Ive never sensed any tension between them or heard any rumors about problems. It might be like what Euphdude just said. They might all be laughing at us.
    I have heard rumors that a fair number of players on the team are (and have been for some time) more than a little sick and tired of Inge going on (and his beat-writer buddies repeating/amplifying it ad nauseam) about how hard-working, determined, gritty and gutty he is, how he really really wants to play, because of course after that's been said about twice, as much as a statement about what a gung-ho hard-working guy Inge is, it's a statement that pretty much everybody else on the roster is a lazy slacker, doesn't give a damn if they play or not, etc etc.

The Truman Show is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by oldglory1999 View Post
    Time will tell with him...they won't cut him...instead if I were the manager after the first week-if he's not doing well, place him on the bench...for a while. He'll get the idea-just maybe time to call it a career.
    What do you mean "after the first week if he's not doing well"? He's going to be on the bench no matter what.
    I cohost a terrific AL Central podcast here:http://invertedw.com/
    I tweet here:http://twitter.com/champaigncaviar

OhioTiger is offline MotownSports Fan

When injuries pile up as they always do, the fans will wish they had Inge's flexibility.

Blog Entries

What's Inge's great flexibility? There's a number of guys that can play multiple positions while providing little to no offense. He's not as rare of a player as Mario and Rod make him out to be.
    Facebook

Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

Blog Entries

It doesn't surprise me after Inge announced he wouldn't accept a role at Toledo this year. Their hands are pretty much tied with him. I think Leyland probably prefers Worth at this point.
    Facebook

Motor City Sonics is offline MotownSports Fan

Brandon hit a double off of a minor leaguer yesterday.................3 year extension for 16 million.
    World Series or Bust. Guess What? Bust........again.

Motor City Sonics is offline MotownSports Fan

Okay, here's my prediction. The Tigers actually do designate Brandon Inge for assignment, he refuses and they release him. Then the Kansas City Royals sign him and he has an amazing year by his standards (.240 with 10 home runs) and he hits a walk off home run against the Tigers that clinches the division for Kansas City. Yeah, that'll happen.
    World Series or Bust. Guess What? Bust........again.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast