Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    lesgoblu02 is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Endless parade? Do you really think if he makes the team he's going to get AB's over Cabrera and Raburn/Santiago? He'd be the last guy off the bench and could spell Cabrera when he DH's occasionally.

I dont. I think he'd see maybe 50 AB's in 2 months. And if he continues to not contribute, he'll be gone. But weakening the depth by releasing him and watching Worth not play while sitting the bench is not in the best interest of the team, IMO.
    Every time you play a hand of you poker you wanna run through a mental check list. Head Position Hand Position Neck Position Breathing Posture. More than 25 items. It's a lot. And that why I've come up with a handy mnemonic device. Just one word: HPHPNPBPECMSPAMDCPAFTSTTL. It's easy.

JayVee is offline MotownSports Fan

I weigh the last month and a half of 2011 much more heavily than the first 3 weeks of Spring Training 2012. If Inge's first month and a half of the regular season is back to his pre-AAA-demotion level, then, yes, he should be cut loose.

2014 AAT -- #8 Wally Joyner -- Hitting Coach Extraordinaire
    Μολὼν λαβέ -- SONJE HAITI

Gehringer_2 is online now MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysthrowheat View Post
    Do you really think he's up there at the plate thinking "I really need to focus on my footwork at 2B"? Focusing on learning a new defensive position and hitting a baseball have absolutely nothing in common. He's struggling at the plate because he's not a good hitter.
    With the games mostly unavailable for viewing, it's hard to say if he is hitting the ball better but at people right now of if he is just Inge being Inge. Certainly not much going over the fence - though the Ks are down. But I agree that the defensive side is not likely a factor. Even if it is a potential issue for players in general, it would likely only come into play if he were having problems with the transition, which it is pretty clear he is not.
    'No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens

2014 AAT: Willy Adames
    2013 AAT: Javier Betancourt

4hzglory is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by JayVee7777 View Post
    I weigh the last month and a half of 2011 much more heavily than the first 3 weeks of Spring Training 2012. If Inge's first month and a half of the regular season is back to his pre-AAA-demotion level, then, yes, he should be cut loose.
    And I weigh the last 1 1/2 years much more heavily than I weigh the last month and a half of 2011 or the first 3 weeks of Spring Training. In looking at the whole picture, the spring training has looked a lot more like the previous 1 1/2 years than the last month and a half of 2011. Since he was already cut once, I don't see the loyalty keeping him if he can't even hit .200. If he was showing any signs of life at the plate and on an upward trend towards .230 I think he'd get the edge even if Worth was hitting .400. But the way it is, I think he will end up in Toledo so he can still live at home. I don't think he'd go to any other team because of his family and I can definitely respect that, and who knows, maybe he will have another hot streak and be back up later.
    Micah 7:7

The Truman Show is offline MotownSports Fan

If Brandon Inge didn't have his history of pissing off half of Detroit, this isn't a major discussion because people would recognize that the marginal difference between Inge and Worth on the roster for a month or two is microscopic.
    I cohost a terrific AL Central podcast here:http://invertedw.com/
    I tweet here:http://twitter.com/champaigncaviar

Quote Originally Posted by The Truman Show View Post
    If Brandon Inge didn't have his history of pissing off half of Detroit, this isn't a major discussion because people would recognize that the marginal difference between Inge and Worth on the roster for a month or two is microscopic.
    And if Inge was someone signed from outside the organization to a $1 mil contract this wouldn't be a discussion as he would clearly be cut.

This isn't really a major discussion as it isn't a big deal, but Worth definitely has advantages over Inge defensively and is trending the right way offensively while Inge is trending down from already extremely poor. Worth also is likely a better base runner right now. While it doesn't make much difference overall, why not have the better player who also gives the most flexibility on the roster. It is very doubtful Inge leaves the organization as I could see him retiring before going to any team that would claim him and it is unlikely those teams would honor his wishes so he could go to Toledo and stay at home. Thus I don't see much risk in reducing future possibilities like there is in the Thomas/Dirks debate.

Like I said, if Inge had a solid 2011, or was on an upward trend towards .230 and an OPS of .650 there is no doubt he makes the team, but neither of those is close to the case.

I don't believe it's as simple as Worth is better at everything than Inge. I don't even believe that's true.

For one, the trends aren't terribly meaningful. Spring training ABs have no predictive value, good or bad, and anything that happened near the end on 2011, either in AAA or MLB, was too long ago to expect any carry over. Expecting Danny Worth to ever do better than 250/300/350 is just wishful thinking, and even if Inge is going to be as bad as his 2011 line, over the course of two months, with the amount of playing time each would get, the difference in average is maybe 2 hits.

I also don't really agree that Worth is a better fielder. Worth's range is probably better, but Inge still has the better arm, so I think that's a wash. We can scoff at Inge's appeal to fans or the prospect of him leaving the organization, but I think those considerations are no less valuable than tiny performance gains that may or may not exist.

Quote Originally Posted by The Truman Show View Post
    I don't believe it's as simple as Worth is better at everything than Inge. I don't even believe that's true.

For one, the trends aren't terribly meaningful. Spring training ABs have no predictive value, good or bad, and anything that happened near the end on 2011, either in AAA or MLB, was too long ago to expect any carry over. Expecting Danny Worth to ever do better than 250/300/350 is just wishful thinking, and even if Inge is going to be as bad as his 2011 line, over the course of two months, with the amount of playing time each would get, the difference in average is maybe 2 hits.

I also don't really agree that Worth is a better fielder. Worth's range is probably better, but Inge still has the better arm, so I think that's a wash. We can scoff at Inge's appeal to fans or the prospect of him leaving the organization, but I think those considerations are no less valuable than tiny performance gains that may or may not exist.
    Offensively, I do think .650 OPS is probably accurate for Worth which right now appears to be significantly better than Inge. At 2b, I think they are probably comparable defensively with Worth with more range and Inge a better arm. I do think Worth is more sure handed and the fact that he can also play above average SS makes him a better more versatile fielder IMO. I just don't see Inge leaving the organization to play anywhere else. He can veto any trade and if he is claimed, he can refuse to report and retire. At this stage in his career I don't see him moving away from his family for 1 season of sitting on someone else's bench. I don't think another team claims him if he lets them know that, nor do I think another team would risk the remaining contract for what he has shown since the 2nd half of 2009. He willingly went to Toledo before, I don't see any reason he wouldn't again, especially since it is as close, if not closer to his home than Detroit is. He wouldn't really be blocking anyone at 3rd or 2nd there, could play every day and could see if he can get back to a .650-.700 OPS and likely get another opportunity later in the season. The Tigers made the same decision last season for the tiny performance gains compared to another bench player and there has been no indication that anything has really changed this season.

That's fair.

RedRamage is offline MotownSports Fan

I'll kinda miss Inge when he's gone. I do like the guy and he was, at limited times, a great player offensively. He always seemed to shine defensively. I think a lot of people watched him "grow up" in the Tigers system and because of that he's kinda like the kid next door that we root for.

But I think the time has come to cut him lose. And while I'll be sad to see the end of an era, I won't be sad to see him off the team because he isn't contributing anymore.

Also, I absolutely will NOT be sad to see the death of Inge threads.

alwaysthrowheat is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Los Gatos View Post
    It's silly to think a position switch couldn't affect someone's hitting, at least in the short term. For one thing, a player learning a new position will probably spend his extra practice time on that position and not in the batting cage. I never implied he was a good hitter.
    It's not silly. They're independent events, and he's doing fine at 2B, so he's not "taking his glove to the plate". Inge has been informed that he needs to hit in order to make the team. So, he'd be wise to spend ample time in the cage, which I'm sure he's doing. Someone like Inge, who supposedly has a great work ethic, can find enough hours in the day to work on his hitting, while spending extra time on his fielding as well. He's hitting less than .200, I'm sure he's spending as much time practicing hitting as he can.

Oblong is offline MotownSports Fan

The only way Inge makes the team is through injury. What does it say to the rest of the guys if someone like Santiago or Worth get cut? This isn't a typical year. This is a go all in for the owner win now year. They clearly are in a position to win the WS keeping Inge sends the wrong message.

jimtb is offline MotownSports Fan

I've lived away from Detroit for almost 20 years now. I must say that I'm really surprised how much animosity there is towards Inge. Can he hit? Of course not, but he's never hit well. The arguements that Worth can field better than Inge baffle me. Are we watching the same team, or is this Worth stuff just forum hyperbole?
    I'll tell you this, he gets huge appluase every at bat down here in Lakeland. He's been a favorite in my house for over ten years because of his glove, his hustle, and his occasional power. It will be a sad day when the longest Tiger on the team is eventually cut.

MotorCityKitty is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Oblong View Post
    The only way Inge makes the team is through injury.
    Inge caused that ball to hop bad in hopes of Miggy being injured!

All else aside, I really think Inge will make the team, and thats unfortunate, he's well beyond being a useful player, and I would rather have someone, anyone else.
    2012 AAT: Justin Henry

Motor City Sonics is offline MotownSports Fan

The only way Inge makes the team is through injury. What does it say to the rest of the guys if someone like Santiago or Worth get cut? This isn't a typical year. This is a go all in for the owner win now year. They clearly are in a position to win the WS keeping Inge sends the wrong message.

Stop being logical, you know better than that.
    World Series or Bust. Guess What? Bust........again.

Euphdude is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

I disagree. I believe Ilitch and DD both have very strong loyalty towards Inge, and I think they will give him at least a couple of months this season before they cut him.

Yoda is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

I think/hope the Tigers have learned from their loyalty mistakes of the past.
    Up above, aliens hover, making home movies for the folks back home.
    Facebook

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Euphdude View Post
    I disagree. I believe Ilitch and DD both have very strong loyalty towards Inge, and I think they will give him at least a couple of months this season before they cut him.
    No matter what happens, Jim...we will always have that deceptively hot April afternoon at Comerica when Brandon's HR was the lone run for the Tigers on their way to a 0-6 start.
    Every time you play a hand of you poker you wanna run through a mental check list. Head Position Hand Position Neck Position Breathing Posture. More than 25 items. It's a lot. And that why I've come up with a handy mnemonic device. Just one word: HPHPNPBPECMSPAMDCPAFTSTTL. It's easy.

Antrat is offline MotownSports Fan

I'll never forget that time he struck out swinging at that ball, low and away.
    AAT Joe Nathan
    Tigers-Cardinals 2014 WS. Book it.
    "The escalator isn't out of order. It's just temporarily stairs."

John_Brian_K is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Look at those ups! Such an athlete...we CAN'T cut him!

"And that is part of the larger pattern of the appeal of a new online collectivism that is nothing less than a resurgence of the idea that the collective is all-wise, that it is desirable to have influence concentrated in a bottleneck that can channel the collective with the most verity and force."

Staff Infection is offline MotownSports Fan

I don't understand the loyalty angle. Inge has been replaced 3 times and has been desiginated for assignment. If that is loyal I shutter to think what the organization does when they are unloyal.

RedRamage is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by John_Brian_K View Post
    Look at those ups! Such an athlete...we CAN'T cut him!

Inge didn't jump, Aragorn just tossed him.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RedRamage View Post
    I am listening to The Lord of the Rings audiobook on CD right now.
    "And that is part of the larger pattern of the appeal of a new online collectivism that is nothing less than a resurgence of the idea that the collective is all-wise, that it is desirable to have influence concentrated in a bottleneck that can channel the collective with the most verity and force."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RedRamage View Post
    I am listening to The Lord of the Rings audiobook on CD right now.
    Like.
    Facebook

Blog Entries

Jackson with a 1 out walk. Boesch up.
    Facebook

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Jackson with a 1 out walk. Boesch up.
    That is one long AB...

What happened?

Blog Entries

I have to quit bouncing between threads.
    Facebook

Oblong is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Euphdude View Post
    If Ilitch were 73 instead of 83, I'd agree but I think after spending $214 million he wants to win now. Danny Worth vs. Brandon Inge won't be the difference but there is the perception of bringing a guy north who was told he has to hit and he's under .200. That just looks silly. It's not like they haven't been down this path before. He was DFA'd last year so the die has already been cast.

KleShreen is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I think/hope the Tigers have learned from their loyalty mistakes of the past.
    Ding ding. Obviously it's a different situation with the Red Wings because hockey is a case where a couple dominant players can lead a team to a Cup (Datsyuk/Lidstrom/Hank/Hasek, etc.)...but Illitch has, at some times, shown his loyalties so much to a point that they are a fault. McCarty was around too long, Maltby/Draper were around too long...Obviously the Wings still won championships with them on the roster, but those were guys who were only playing 4-5 minutes a game at the end of their careers, not a situation like Inge where he would probably take 150 at-bats away from more-deserving players.

Blog Entries

If Ilitch were 73 instead of 83, I'd agree but I think after spending $214 million he wants to win now. Danny Worth vs. Brandon Inge won't be the difference but there is the perception of bringing a guy north who was told he has to hit and he's under .200. That just looks silly. It's not like they haven't been down this path before. He was DFA'd last year so the die has already been cast.
    Only if they are losing. I agree with Euphdude...I think he makes the team and is given enough AB's to either hang himslef in the season or stick around....as long as they are winning....if they start losing and he is getting AB's during the losing they will dump him.

Only if they are losing. I agree with Euphdude...I think he makes the team and is given enough AB's to either hang himslef in the season or stick around....as long as they are winning....if they start losing and he is getting AB's during the losing they will dump him.
    See I just disagree with this opinion. If you're trying to win a title, you don't do these kinds of things. The Yankees can afford to do it because they have nearly top level talent at every position (in previous years, of course) so they always have old-man fodder on the bench that has been around too long. However, the Tigers don't have that luxury and I firmly believe that if you want to seriously contend with a title, you take the absolute best players you have, not reserve a spot for a long-time friend who contributes less than other players at his position(s). The Rangers and Cardinals didn't have any wasted roster spots for guys like Inge last year. The Rays don't do it. Boston doesn't do it. Phillies don't do it. Why are the Tigers?

STLTiger69 is offline MotownSports Fan

You guys may be right, but truthfully I think the Tigers will be a much better team by taking the best 25 players north for regular season game #1 and consequences be damned. If Inge isn't hitting, its AAA or bye. Ditto Thomas, if Dirks beats Thomas out, Thomas to AAA and if Thomas get's claimed on waivers great, let another team have our lowest player on the depth chart.

My axe to grind is why should the Tigers give a second rate player a chance to try and right themselves during the regular season at the major league level when there are better options that the Tigers will banished to AAA to start the regular season instead?
    “Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" until you can find a rock.” -Will Rogers

Blog Entries

Brandon Inge, even if he makes the team, is going to have virtually the same impact on the Tigers wins/losses as anyone else they would keep over him.

None.

Quote Originally Posted by lesgoblu02 View Post
    Brandon Inge, even if he makes the team, is going to have virtually the same impact on the Tigers wins/losses as anyone else they would keep over him.

None.
    If that's the case, why not take a younger guy who can develop in that spot then and still has a chance to turn in to a serviceable major league baseball player?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KleShreen View Post
    If that's the case, why not take a younger guy who can develop in that spot then and still has a chance to turn in to a serviceable major league baseball player?
    Because that younger guy could be getting regular AB's and playing 9 innings per day as opposed to maybe batting twice a week. You develop by playing, not by watching others.

rhino is offline MotownSports Fan

Oh, please.

Inge sucked. Big Mike Hessman could have matched Inge's numbers for less than 1 mil a year and spared us the years of spouting delusions of grandeur.

What was Inge? A little power, no average, high k's, low OBP, good defense. That was Hessman exactly and the team would have saved over 20 million.
    "If he could have, Guillen would've tried to steal Weaver's girl, scratched Weaver's car, stolen Weaver's lunch and if he had access to a metal folding chair he probably would have tried to hit Weaver with it." -Joe Posnanski

2008 & 2009 AAT: Mike Hessman; 2010 Cory Costo; 2011 Danny Worth

rhino is offline MotownSports Fan

Oh, But Hessman couldn't hit a golf ball 400 yards.
    "If he could have, Guillen would've tried to steal Weaver's girl, scratched Weaver's car, stolen Weaver's lunch and if he had access to a metal folding chair he probably would have tried to hit Weaver with it." -Joe Posnanski

2008 & 2009 AAT: Mike Hessman; 2010 Cory Costo; 2011 Danny Worth

Quote Originally Posted by lesgoblu02 View Post
    Because that younger guy could be getting regular AB's and playing 9 innings per day as opposed to maybe batting twice a week. You develop by playing, not by watching others.
    You can also develop by getting better coaching at the major league level and facing higher level pitching and being around guys who can mentor you.

catswithbats is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MSUBrian11 View Post
    If Inge were black, would he still be on the team?
    /facepalm
    Adopt-a-Tiger 2014: José Ortega

Walkoff Woodward | Cats With Bats | walkoffwoodward | catswithbats

How on Earth is Inge vs. Worth a factor in "winning now"? Is there some other Danny Worth that I'm forgetting about, that isn't a terrible ballplayer?

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast