FloridaTigers is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Default Tiger Stadium seats

Splashed the cash for a pair of blue Tiger Stadium seats for my father's birthday. After some thorough cleaning, rust removing, and giving the arm rests/side support a fresh coat of Tiger Stadium blue paint, I'd say it was well worth it. Had alot of fun doing a "mini restoration", might try to post photos up later. Have them out in the tiki hut in the backyard where they'll get alot of usage this summer watching games between me, my brother, and my pops. How many of you have a pair? What steps did you take in restoring them, or did you leave them as is?

Pretty mindblowing when you realize how many different people sat in those seats all those years. The stories they'd tell if they could talk...
    "Violence on television only affects children whose parents act like television personalities" -David Byrne

xmartyx is offline Released

I've got a pair in my basement. Left them the same though. Wanted them to stay the same as they were straight out of Tiger Stadium.

Tigeraholic1 is offline MotownSports Fan

I have left mine as they are until my son Tyrus (who is now 4) is old enough to do a full restoration. Sandblasting and powder coating.
    2014 AAT Ian Kinsler

davidsb is offline MotownSports Fan

I have a set in original condition. Plan to clean up some year.

dadair6 is offline MotownSports Fan

I have a pair of the blue from the original auction/sale and I picked up a pair of orange seats about a year and a half ago. Other than cleaning them with soap and water I've left them in the same condition they were taken out of the stadium.
    "This is Michigan, for god's sake!"
    -Brady Hoke

dabeave is offline MotownSports Fan

I was recently learned that Belle Tire powdercoats metal items other than rims. They were actually significantly cheaper than the shop that specificly does powdercoating (min $75 charge). Curious if they would help you out - with their sponsorship of the Tigers.

potthole is offline MotownSports Fan

Washed 'em up and that was it. There are some hints of Billy Crystal's paint on them, which isn't my favorite, but at the same time, it's part of the history of the stadium.
    2014 AAT: Jeff Jones

*ESTREPE1*
    VT

monkeynuts is offline MotownSports Fan

I have two of these seats that my grandpa gave me a long time ago. Definite keepsakes.

I believe these are from the 1960s or earlier...anybody have a good guess?
    Obama '12

2012 MSU Football Unofficial Adopt-A-Spartan - Larry Caper

tiger337 is offline MotownSports Writer

I've got two in the original condition. They look more historic that way.
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

"They can use both (old- and new-school statistics)," Cabrera said. "In 2012, we've got to take advantage of all that.

Yoda is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Yup... I like the grittiness of mine. I don't think I'll ever touch them. Just personal preference, though.
    Up above, aliens hover, making home movies for the folks back home.
    Facebook

Corky is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tiger337 View Post
    I've got two in the original condition. They look more historic that way.
    Ditto. They are right here in my office. # 22 & 23!

The touch of rust makes them look authentic.

I also stuck some of the stick-on felt they sell at Home Depot for lining jewelry box drawers onto the bottoms of the flat foot deals. They slide around on the wood floor in here and don't scratch when I spin them around so folks can sit in them to watch TV or play the X-Box.
    2014 AAT - Phil Coke

I was thrown out of N.Y.U. my freshman year for cheating on my metaphysics final, you know. I looked within the soul of the boy sitting next to me. - Alvy Singer

Quote Originally Posted by Corky View Post
    I also stuck some of the stick-on felt they sell at Home Depot for lining jewelry box drawers onto the bottoms of the flat foot deals. They slide around on the wood floor in here and don't scratch when I spin them around so folks can sit in them to watch TV or play the X-Box.
    I need to rig something like that up for a 5/3 Ballpark seat I got a couple years ago when the Whitecaps replaced all their seats. Need to construct some sort of base to attach them to, because the 'feet' that the 'Caps bolted to the stadium concrete aren't big enough to let the thing stand freely. It's been sitting in my basement storage area for a little while now-- first out of laziness to do the work and build something, now out of forgetfulness-- out of sight, out of mind.

*ESTREPE1*
    VT

Kdoogie24 is offline MotownSports Fan

My dad has one of the green ones with padding, waiting to have some sort of "themed" room I can put it in.
    "If my uniform doesn't get dirty, I haven't done anything in the baseball game." - Rickey Henderson

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by potthole View Post
    I need to rig something like that up for a 5/3 Ballpark seat I got a couple years ago when the Whitecaps replaced all their seats. Need to construct some sort of base to attach them to, because the 'feet' that the 'Caps bolted to the stadium concrete aren't big enough to let the thing stand freely. It's been sitting in my basement storage area for a little while now-- first out of laziness to do the work and build something, now out of forgetfulness-- out of sight, out of mind.
    Mine came with the feet already attached from the big sale a couple of years ago. I had thought they all did. Guess I got lucky.
    2014 AAT - Phil Coke

I was thrown out of N.Y.U. my freshman year for cheating on my metaphysics final, you know. I looked within the soul of the boy sitting next to me. - Alvy Singer

Quote Originally Posted by monkeynuts View Post

I have two of these seats that my grandpa gave me a long time ago. Definite keepsakes.

I believe these are from the 1960s or earlier...anybody have a good guess?
    I would say earlier... Those are sweet, you do not see those around probably because when they pulled them out they were not saved for collecting like the blue ones.
    2014 AAT Ian Kinsler

Quote Originally Posted by dabeave View Post
    I was recently learned that Belle Tire powdercoats metal items other than rims. They were actually significantly cheaper than the shop that specificly does powdercoating (min $75 charge). Curious if they would help you out - with their sponsorship of the Tigers.
    Good call
    2014 AAT Ian Kinsler

Quote Originally Posted by Corky View Post
    Mine came with the feet already attached from the big sale a couple of years ago. I had thought they all did. Guess I got lucky.
    Oh, my Tiger Stadium seats are like that, I'm talking about a single seat from the local MiLB park.

*ESTREPE1*
    VT

Sports_Freak is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Tigeraholic1 View Post
    I would say earlier... Those are sweet, you do not see those around probably because when they pulled them out they were not saved for collecting like the blue ones.
    It's hard to know what year they're from. According to this place, they were at Tiger Stadium from 1912 until renovations in 1977.
    And they have them for sale there;

Original Tiger Stadium All Wood Box Seat | DetroitAthletic.com
    2014 AAT: Brennan Smith
    2013 AAT: Brennan Smith
    2012 AAT: Brennan Smith
    2010 AAT: Armando Galarraga

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by potthole View Post
    Oh, my Tiger Stadium seats are like that, I'm talking about a single seat from the local MiLB park.
    Aha!
    2014 AAT - Phil Coke

roarintiger1 is offline MotownSports Fan

I cleaned my pair up, getting the light green paint off of them and then painted just the steel portion Ford Tractor Blue. I left the seats and backs as they were. They look very nice in my basement. Seat numbers 22 and 23.

monkeynuts is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Sports_Freak View Post
    It's hard to know what year they're from. According to this place, they were at Tiger Stadium from 1912 until renovations in 1977.
    And they have them for sale there;

Original Tiger Stadium All Wood Box Seat | DetroitAthletic.com
    Oh very cool...thanks for the info, fellas.

Crazy to think those wood chairs may have been chilling in the stadium for more than half a century...
    Obama '12

2012 MSU Football Unofficial Adopt-A-Spartan - Larry Caper

hueytaxi is offline MotownSports Fan

Saw one for sale on Ebay a few months ago (Yankees) that the owner had attached to a basic office chair. Gave him the base, rotation and up and down adjustment. Innovative.
    Live your life for what it can be and not for what it was.

MMXIV AAT: KYLE RYAN; MMXV AAT: TBD
    VT

Sports_Freak is offline MotownSports Fan

My wife wants me to buy the chair I posted the link to. I remember sitting in those seats and as a kid, they had plenty of room. As an adult (and MUCH heavier), I'm not sure if it's worth the $200.00. I guess it may be a good thing to pass on to my son, but I doubt he would want it. He's not very sentimental and he was born WAY after these seats were replaced. But..it's only money and it would be cool to sit in one and have my wife come around with beer and hot dogs, yelling HOT DOGS....GET YOUR RED HOTS. And BEER...ICE COLD BEER.

Role playing?
    2014 AAT: Brennan Smith
    2013 AAT: Brennan Smith
    2012 AAT: Brennan Smith
    2010 AAT: Armando Galarraga

Quote Originally Posted by Sports_Freak View Post
    My wife wants me to buy the chair I posted the link to. I remember sitting in those seats and as a kid, they had plenty of room. As an adult (and MUCH heavier), I'm not sure if it's worth the $200.00. I guess it may be a good thing to pass on to my son, but I doubt he would want it. He's not very sentimental and he was born WAY after these seats were replaced. But..it's only money and it would be cool to sit in one and have my wife come around with beer and hot dogs, yelling HOT DOGS....GET YOUR RED HOTS. And BEER...ICE COLD BEER.

Role playing?
    You should buy it.. I did not care about sentimental things when I was young. You son will someday and if the wife says do it then you better!
    2014 AAT Ian Kinsler

hueytaxi is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by hueytaxi View Post
    Saw one for sale on Ebay a few months ago (Yankees) that the owner had attached to a basic office chair. Gave him the base, rotation and up and down adjustment. Innovative.
    G.Reaper sent me the seat back and cup holder for Christmas. Awesome guy!

Live your life for what it can be and not for what it was.

MMXIV AAT: KYLE RYAN; MMXV AAT: TBD
    VT