Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Brian is offline MotownSports Fan

Default Tigers' Brandon Inge isn't helping his cause

Lakeland, Fla. -- Baseball has reached the point that being on-time to spring training no longer translates into being on time.
    Early is the new on-time.
    Getting into the cage with your teammates before position players can officially report is being on time.
    Grabbing a glove and trotting out to the position you're switching to, as Miguel Cabrera has done at third base, is being on time.
    Being the last Tiger to arrive, however, only attracts attention. Officially, you're on time when you report on reporting day — which is today for the Tigers.
    There's no ceremony to reporting day — no official sign-in, ceremonial unlocking of the doors. For the most part there's not even reporting anymore to reporting day.
    Because the players are usually settled in by now.
    The pitchers have thrown once or twice by now.
    The hitters have gotten in several days of work by now.
    Then there's the case of Brandon Inge — still not on the premises at Joker Marchant Stadium by the time the players were filing out on Wednesday.

Tigers' Brandon Inge isn't helping his cause | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com
    John 16:33

RedRamage is offline MotownSports Fan

Can't disagree with this. Especially if you want to try out for a new position, get there early and get the work in.

I believe it was Yoda in another thread who said Inge is a selfish player. You don't have to look much further than this artical to see that.

The funny thing is he hasn't done squat for a while. So I don't know why he's acting like a 2 year old.

Yoda is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

I like to bash Inge as much as anyone but this is much ado about nothing... Are the position players doing anything other than basic calisthenics and BP?
    Up above, aliens hover, making home movies for the folks back home.
    Facebook

Biff Mayhem is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I like to bash Inge as much as anyone but this is much ado about nothing... Are the position players doing anything other than basic calisthenics and BP?
    I'd agree with you if Inge weren't trying a new position. There may be behind-the-scenes issues at homes with the kids or something like that but I would suspect that Inge knew about the reporting date and should have had all of his affairs in order.
    On my head there is a battleground. The peaceful indigenous peppers are being invaded by the cruel and aggressive salts who have sought to commit genocide on the peppers. The peppers have managed to starve off the salts to the north which has unfortunately resulted in some uninhabitable areas in the backwoods area. The salts now claim ownership to the temple and beard regions. VT

caseyo4 is offline MotownSports Fan

Ugh, I'm have to say Lynn Henning makes a point on Twitter about Inge probably wanting to spend a few more days with this sons. I totally would understand that. It's not like he hasn't been busting his *** all winter working out (Barwis).
    2012 AAT: Jose Valverde
    2011 AAT: Argenis Diaz
    2010 AAT: Jim Leyland

tiger337 is offline MotownSports Writer

It doesn't seem like a big deal to me. Gage is not one to make waves though, so he might know that the team is not happy about it. Or maybe it's just a slow news day.
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

"They can use both (old- and new-school statistics)," Cabrera said. "In 2012, we've got to take advantage of all that.

Eric Cioe is offline MotownSports Fan

I hate that players can be expected to show up early, and if they're not early and just show up when the contract says so, they're late.

Think about it in terms of an hourly job. "Dear Eric, could you come in at 7 tomorrow? There's a good deal of work to be done. Of course, you won't be punching in until 8, but we'd appreciate it, and if you show up on time, we'll be mad."
    "I can't say I'm pleased to see you and warn you I may have to do something about it." Knut Hamsun

shauntacular is offline MotownSports Fan

lol that's the attitude at like... my previous three jobs.
    TheCaptain: Is it just me or does one of Fielder's sons look like Miguel Cabrera?

catswithbats is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Is this supposed to be a huge deal or...? I guess I just don't care.
    Adopt-a-Tiger 2014: José Ortega

Walkoff Woodward | Cats With Bats | walkoffwoodward | catswithbats

Mr. Bigglesworth is offline MotownSports Fan

I want you to get this **** where he breathes! I want you to find this nancy-boy Brandon Inge, I want him DEAD! I want his family DEAD! I want his house burned to the GROUND! I wanna go there in the middle of the night and I wanna PISS ON HIS ASHES!

John_Brian_K is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cioe View Post
    I hate that players can be expected to show up early, and if they're not early and just show up when the contract says so, they're late.

Think about it in terms of an hourly job. "Dear Eric, could you come in at 7 tomorrow? There's a good deal of work to be done. Of course, you won't be punching in until 8, but we'd appreciate it, and if you show up on time, we'll be mad."
    FTR: I doubt the Tigers organization gives a crap that Inge is reporting on time and not early. Lynn henning is not Inges boss. Neither are we. Neither is anyone else not named Leyland, Dombroski or Illitch.
    "And that is part of the larger pattern of the appeal of a new online collectivism that is nothing less than a resurgence of the idea that the collective is all-wise, that it is desirable to have influence concentrated in a bottleneck that can channel the collective with the most verity and force."

roarintiger1 is offline MotownSports Fan

I'm guessing that he doesn't want to get burned out too fast.

CaliforniaDreaming is offline MotownSports Fan

How do we know that he isn't back here in MI taking 2,000 ground balls a day at 2B getting ready for the season? He may kinow that he will get more done here than if he reported early where he would be tempted to golf every afternoon. I'm not saying that is what he is doing, but this article could use a lot more research behind it.
    2008 AAT -- Kenny Rogers

Tim Mitchell is offline MotownSports Fan

If I had a "new job"...position... I would be at work when my team members were.
    If I made 15 grand a DAY, Id be at work when my team members were.

davidsb is offline MotownSports Fan

Maybe he just forgot?!

Well, according to Leyland at the Prince presser, he was off camping. Perhaps his mobile phone didn't have a signal out there in the woods.
    On my head there is a battleground. The peaceful indigenous peppers are being invaded by the cruel and aggressive salts who have sought to commit genocide on the peppers. The peppers have managed to starve off the salts to the north which has unfortunately resulted in some uninhabitable areas in the backwoods area. The salts now claim ownership to the temple and beard regions. VT

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Mitchell View Post
    If I had a "new job"...position... I would be at work when my team members were.
    If I made 15 grand a DAY, Id be at work when my team members were.
    I suspect if you were making 15k a day 6 years running, the effectiveness of the 15k as a motivator would diminish considerably.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bigglesworth View Post
    I want you to get this **** where he breathes! I want you to find this nancy-boy Brandon Inge, I want him DEAD! I want his family DEAD! I want his house burned to the GROUND! I wanna go there in the middle of the night and I wanna PISS ON HIS ASHES!
    Awesome.

john doe is offline MotownSports Fan
    Shangri la in the Summer, Timbuktu in the Winter

This'n,yep!
    It's pronounced Canada, and no, I haven't.

alwaysthrowheat is offline MotownSports Fan

I'm the first to rip on Inge, but this is a complete non issue. Set the deadline earlier if you want him earlier.

These guy's text each other all the time. I'm sure Inge got the memo and chose not to reports.

mmwatkin is offline MotownSports Fan

Except that MLB players aren't paid hourly. If you were a highly paid salary employee that was working on a new project and all of your team members were showing up early to start on it, you better believe that your organization and coworkers wouldn't think too highly of you not doing the same.

lesgoblu02 is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mmwatkin View Post
    Except that MLB players aren't paid hourly. If you were a highly paid salary employee that was working on a new project and all of your team members were showing up early to start on it, you better believe that your organization and coworkers wouldn't think too highly of you not doing the same.

Then don't set a report date if it's just going to be some arbitrary day.
    Every time you play a hand of you poker you wanna run through a mental check list. Head Position Hand Position Neck Position Breathing Posture. More than 25 items. It's a lot. And that why I've come up with a handy mnemonic device. Just one word: HPHPNPBPECMSPAMDCPAFTSTTL. It's easy.

rhino is offline MotownSports Fan

I don't know, I don't like Inge, but until Leyland, Dombrowski or Illitch come out and say they are disappointed he isn't there yet, I really can't get on Inge for this. I would bet money JL or DD knew he wasn't going to be early and gave it the OK.
    "If he could have, Guillen would've tried to steal Weaver's girl, scratched Weaver's car, stolen Weaver's lunch and if he had access to a metal folding chair he probably would have tried to hit Weaver with it." -Joe Posnanski

2008 & 2009 AAT: Mike Hessman; 2010 Cory Costo; 2011 Danny Worth

Chopper is offline MotownSports Fan

He is on time so what is the point? If he was missing the bus for an exhibition game then there would be a problem. Slow news day is a no news day.
    Country strong

thefunk is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    These guy's text each other all the time. I'm sure Inge got the memo and chose not to reports.
    You're ridiculous.

The whole opening post of this thread is ridiculous, and the article originally written is ridiculous.

How soon before the "Brandon Inge skips his pre-game dump, takes it during the 7th inning stretch" article?
    GO TIGERS

DTroppens is offline MotownSports Fan

I'm not helping my cause as a great Tiger fan. I have yet to make my first post about Tigers' spring training.
    "Only Lions fans can predict a victory when their starting quarterback has a broken arm." -unknown

"I'm going to go the Pistons' game tonight and watch Sheed jack up threes." -unknown

john doe is offline MotownSports Fan
    Shangri la in the Summer, Timbuktu in the Winter

Quote Originally Posted by thefunk View Post
    You're ridiculous.

The whole opening post of this thread is ridiculous, and the article originally written is ridiculous.

How soon before the "Brandon Inge skips his pre-game dump, takes it during the 7th inning stretch" article?

This.
    It's pronounced Canada, and no, I haven't.

Tim Mitchell is offline MotownSports Fan

The people from the city of Detroit historically have not taken to kindly to what they perceive as a nonchalant-ish attitude. Perception is everything.

Sven Draconian is offline MotownSports Fan

Inge is 34 years old, and this is what, his 13th or 14th camp with the Tigers (counting his minor league years). Does anybody really think that reporting 3 days early, hitting the bars with his teammates and doing some token Batting Practice is really neccessary?

The Truman Show is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Sven Draconian View Post
    Inge is 34 years old, and this is what, his 13th or 14th camp with the Tigers (counting his minor league years). Does anybody really think that reporting 3 days early, hitting the bars with his teammates and doing some token Batting Practice is really neccessary?
    Because he is not a very good player but has been around for a while, he must submit to our standards of satisfactory extra effort.
    I cohost a terrific AL Central podcast here:http://invertedw.com/
    I tweet here:http://twitter.com/champaigncaviar

rhino is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Biff Mayhem View Post
    Well, according to Leyland at the Prince presser, he was off camping. Perhaps his mobile phone didn't have a signal out there in the woods.
    That could be, maybe it's spring beak for his boys and this is his last chance to spend an extended time with them before the long season starts and they decided to go camping for the week.

We can find plenty of other stuff to bash Inge about, I don't need to bash him for this.
    "If he could have, Guillen would've tried to steal Weaver's girl, scratched Weaver's car, stolen Weaver's lunch and if he had access to a metal folding chair he probably would have tried to hit Weaver with it." -Joe Posnanski

2008 & 2009 AAT: Mike Hessman; 2010 Cory Costo; 2011 Danny Worth

Quote Originally Posted by rhino View Post
    That could be, maybe it's spring beak for his boys and this is his last chance to spend an extended time with them before the long season starts and they decided to go camping for the week.

We can find plenty of other stuff to bash Inge about, I don't need to bash him for this.
    I was more referencing the "happy camper" comment but I don't disagree with what you said.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    This seems like a bit of a stretch.

CapitalTigers is offline MotownSports Fan

Inge should be there early. Equivalent of showing up 15 minutes early for a job interview. Show you care and want it.
    I like a man who grins when he fights--- Sir Winston Churchill.

jonjd is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

.305 career OBP.

Be at work early. Like January.
    Retired. Thanks for the entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalTigers View Post
    Inge should be there early. Equivalent of showing up 15 minutes early for a job interview. Show you care and want it.
    I doubt the Tigers' evaluation of Inge will hinge on him being there 15 minutes early.

Side bar: Apropos of nothing, I've been involved with interviewing candidates for over 10 years. Never once did the fact an interviewee was early for the interview influence the hiring decision. It has when someone was late. But I don't think Inge is late to camp.

alwaysthrowheat is offline MotownSports Fan

The insinuation that because he is not in Lakeland "early" that he was not working on his game somewhere else makes absolutely no sense. It's not like he's sitting on his couch eating doritos.

Vonlenska is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by shauntacular View Post
    lol that's the attitude at like... my previous three jobs.
    mine too.
    2003 Tigers = 2010 Tigers
    2012 AAT: Josue Carreno 0-2, 3.30 ERA, 1.10 WHIP, 2.4 BB/9, 7.8 K/9

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast