Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Skinny Miggy

Who is the Drizzle? is offline MotownSports Fan

only thing i would add is that a lot of the oppo homers i've seen prince have been moon shots, so with him specifically (certainly not miggy) a few more might be caught than be doubles in comerica. and if my highlight sampling was unbiased.
    It stays on my head in here, this is the SHAKE SIGNAL, the MASTER SHAKE SIGNAL, you got that?

tiger337 is offline MotownSports Writer

Cabrera's ISO over the year:

Other than the big spike in 2010, I'm not seeing much of an increase. It doesn't seem to justify the 40-50 extra pounds he put on between 05 and 11. I'd rather he be a little smaller and more mobile.
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

"They can use both (old- and new-school statistics)," Cabrera said. "In 2012, we've got to take advantage of all that.

DaYooperASBDT is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Cabrera is a line drive hitter, better suited for a higher spot than cleanup IMHO.
    His line drives just happen to go a bit farther at times!
    2014 Adopt A Tiger: Casey Crosby
    These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... Morons.
    VT

DaYooperASBDT is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Regarding weight loss, the only true expert around these parts was Pudge Rodriquez.
    2014 Adopt A Tiger: Casey Crosby
    These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... Morons.
    VT

Quote Originally Posted by tiger337 View Post

Other than the big spike in 2010, I'm not seeing much of an increase. It doesn't seem to justify the 40-50 extra pounds he put on between 05 and 11. I'd rather he be a little smaller and more mobile.
    i'm not buying that ISO is an accurate correlation of what we're talking about.
    It stays on my head in here, this is the SHAKE SIGNAL, the MASTER SHAKE SIGNAL, you got that?

Quote Originally Posted by Who is the Drizzle? View Post
    i'm not buying that ISO is an accurate correlation of what we're talking about.
    Maybe not, but I'm interested more in final results than splits on which field he hits his homers. Those are certainly interesting to look at, but it doesn't seem to me that his increased size is improving his overall production much.
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

"They can use both (old- and new-school statistics)," Cabrera said. "In 2012, we've got to take advantage of all that.

Gehringer_2 is offline MotownSports Fan

One the same fangraph's summary page the one that really jumps out at me is that after averaging an 18.6% rate in his last 4 yrs in FLA, since he has come to the Tigers his K rates have been 18.4; 15.6; 14.7; 12.9. That is a pretty nice progression.

Or even more impressive, look at the ratio of his walk%/K% in his four years here and it runs:

'08 =0.44
    '09 =0.63
    '10 =0.93
    '11 =1.21
    "Well that's it - you see what you want to see and you hear what you want to hear" - Rock Man

Maybe not, but I'm interested more in final results than splits on which field he hits his homers. Those are certainly interesting to look at, but it doesn't seem to me that his increased size is improving his overall production much.
    that's fine. maybe a better argument on my part would be to say i don't think he could hit a home run 420+ feet to dead center without lifting his front foot when he was with florida.

Quote Originally Posted by Gehringer_2 View Post
    One the same fangraph's summary page the one that really jumps out at me is that after averaging an 18.6% rate in his last 4 yrs in FLA, since he has come to the Tigers his K rates have been 18.4; 15.6; 14.7; 12.9. That is a pretty nice progression.

Or even more impressive, look at the ratio of his walk%/K% in his four years here and it runs:

'08 =0.44
    '09 =0.63
    '10 =0.93
    '11 =1.21
    he truly is a great hitter.

'08 =0.44
    '09 =0.63
    '10 =0.93
    '11 =1.21
    yes, it seems that he has become a smarter hitter, but I would expect that given he is now in his prime. I don't believe his increased size is responsible for his improved BB/K ratio. It could be that pitchers fear him more now, but I'm guessing they feared him a lot all along. I'll also add that 2008 was an outlier:

06 0.80
    07 0.62
    Last edited by tiger337; 02-15-2012 at 04:03 PM.
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

John_Brian_K is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

he truly is a great hitter.
    I was going to say the same thing when I was looking at all these stats.
    "And that is part of the larger pattern of the appeal of a new online collectivism that is nothing less than a resurgence of the idea that the collective is all-wise, that it is desirable to have influence concentrated in a bottleneck that can channel the collective with the most verity and force."

Mr. Bigglesworth is offline MotownSports Fan

yes, it seems that he has become a smarter hitter, but I would expect that given he is now in his prime. I don't believe his increased size is responsible for his improved BB/K ratio. It could be that pitchers fear him more now, but I'm guessing they feared him a lot all along. I'll also add that 2008 was an outlier:

06 0.80
    07 0.62
    So Cabrera was regressing when the Tigers acquired him. Typical Dumbrowski.

Apropos of nothing - I just ran 5k and feel refreshed.
    Last edited by Mr. Bigglesworth; 02-15-2012 at 05:24 PM.

Gehringer_2 is offline MotownSports Fan

.... I don't believe his increased size is responsible for his improved BB/K ratio......
    I did not intend to imply that - just blown away at how much he appears to be continually improving. No I think I already argued up thread that I don't think there is any value in guys in Miggy's size range getting any heavier. If hitting were all brute strength and leverage, the MetRx guys could make a lot more money than they get for carrying around engine blocks and towing box cars.
    "Well that's it - you see what you want to see and you hear what you want to hear" - Rock Man

Brian is offline MotownSports Fan

Antrat is online now MotownSports Fan

I really hope that this third base experiment turns out OK.
    Otherwise I fear it might get a little ugly if Cabrera of Fielder is told they have to spend a lot of time being a DH.
    I wonder if another factor involved in not wanting to be a DH in the prime of your career, is a fear of not making the HOF? I'm sure if it is, it isn't a big factor----but I bet it is in the back of their minds.
    "I'm disabled"

A.J.K. is offline MotownSports Fan

Skinny Miggy, meet Fat Joba.

2014 AAT: Luke Putkonen
    2013 AAT: Darin Downs
    All-time AAT: Jim Walewander

mickeyb105 is offline MotownSports Fan

I did not intend to imply that - just blown away at how much he appears to be continually improving. No I think I already argued up thread that I don't think there is any value in guys in Miggy's size range getting any heavier. If hitting were all brute strength and leverage, the MetRx guys could make a lot more money than they get for carrying around engine blocks and towing box cars.
    Agreed, but when a real slugger puts on a bunch of muscle their results can be staggering. We saw this during the steroid era with guys like Bonds, McGuire, Sosa, Bagwell, Canseco, Palmero, and even Pudge. There are others to add to this list, but these are some of the standouts.

What that extra muscle really boosts, IMO, is opposite field power and Cabrera has certainly flashed that since he's been here in Detroit. He definitely needed to lose some weight, but people are wrong (not pointing fingers at anyone n this board, there are a lot of jealous Marlins fans here in Florida who talk about him like he's Shaun Rogers, though) in assuming that he only acquired body fat since coming here from the Marlins.
    Last edited by mickeyb105; 02-16-2012 at 04:04 PM.
    2012 AAT: Fu-Te Ni

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyb105 View Post
    What that extra muscle really boosts, IMO, is opposite field power and Cabrera has certainly flashed that since he's been here in Detroit. He definitely needed to lose some weight, but people are wrong (not pointing fingers at anyone n this board, there are a lot of jealous Marlins fans here in Florida who talk about him like he's Shaun Rogers, though) in assuming that he only acquired body fat since coming here from the Marlins.
    He's added muscle and fat in recent years. My argument is that it hasn't helped his overall game. He was already an elite hitter before he came to the Tigers. He has improved his plate discipline, but his power output has increased minimally if at all. I think he would have been better off working on flexibility and agility rather than adding unnecessary muscle mass and fat.
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

alwaysthrowheat is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyb105 View Post

He's hit less opposite field HR since he's been bigger. His overall power has been the same.

Yoda is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

I bet Joba can hit the ball pretty far with a gut like that.
    Up above, aliens hover, making home movies for the folks back home.
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I bet Joba can hit the ball pretty far with a gut like that.
    he should start running, the reason he stinks now is obviously his weight.

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysthrowheat View Post
    He's hit less opposite field HR since he's been bigger. His overall power has been the same.
    huh? that's not even close to true.

huh? that's not even close to true.
    7 oppo in 2006, 12 oppo in 2007, 17 in 2008, 6 in 2009, 11 in 2010, and 9 last season.

I thought in 2010 and 2011, he was bigger than 07 and 08 personally. His power has been the same, I don't think there's any disputing that.

7 oppo in 2006, 12 oppo in 2007, 17 in 2008, 6 in 2009, 11 in 2010, and 9 last season.

I thought in 2010 and 2011, he was bigger than 07 and 08 personally. His power has been the same, I don't think there's any disputing that.
    I don't think there's been that much of a weight shift since he's been with the Tigers, other than maybe gradually gaining weight (both good and bad). There were concerns about his weight in Fla still. I would say he was lightest in 2006 and lighter before that.

I don't think there's been that much of a weight shift since he's been with the Tigers, other than maybe gradually gaining weight (both good and bad). There were concerns about his weight in Fla still. I would say he was lightest in 2006 and lighter before that.
    So then my point stands.

chasfh is offline MotownSports Fan

I am really interested in seeing how he looks when he's in Lakeland. I fear we will be disappointed that he hasn't lost as much weight or gotten as fit as he's being touted. I hope that fear is unfounded.

So then my point stands.
    ???

Yoda is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chasfh View Post
    I am really interested in seeing how he looks when he's in Lakeland. I fear we will be disappointed that he hasn't lost as much weight or gotten as fit as he's being touted. I hope that fear is unfounded.
    Well I've seen 3 photos and I doubt he was just sucking his gut in in all 3. Especially while in the batting cage. He may have been pulling his face fat in though just to trick us.
    Last edited by Yoda; 02-16-2012 at 07:02 PM.
    Up above, aliens hover, making home movies for the folks back home.
    Facebook

Shelton is offline MotownSports Fan

Ok, captain ahab.
    AAT: Ian Kinsler

IdahoBert is offline MotownSports Fan

Ask and ye shall receive.

This is Miggy at Lakeland yesterday.

https://twitter.com/#!/OFFICIAL_TIGE...314944/photo/1
    "If you want a guarantee, buy a toaster."--Clint Eastwood

2014 Adopt A Tiger: Aníbal Sánchez, RSP

There he is posing to make himself look skinny again.
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

His snappy metro haircut makes him look skinny. He's still 290 lbs.

Antrat is online now MotownSports Fan

They put Peralta behind him so that he looks skinnier.
    "I'm disabled"

Dino is offline MotownSports Fan

wow, he looks a lot different.
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

Eric Cioe is offline MotownSports Fan

Wow is right. He looks like Adam Everett in that clip.
    "I can't say I'm pleased to see you and warn you I may have to do something about it." Knut Hamsun

This Free Press photo looks weird. Looks like he's wearing stockings, a skirt and a woman's suit coat:

Miguel Cabrera arrives at spring training | freep.com | Detroit Detroit Tigers | Detroit Free Press
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

Jeff6851 is offline MotownSports Fan

Guys, Cabrera can't play third base. He's fat and he sucked at first. All he is is offense. Verlander is overrated and can't beat the AL East. All the Tigers players will regress. Just give up. They'll win their divison because it sucks. Yankees, Rangers, Angels and Rays are all better.

Some people
    2012 AL Champs

This Free Press photo looks weird. Looks like he's wearing stockings, a skirt and a woman's suit coat:

Miguel Cabrera arrives at spring training | freep.com | Detroit Detroit Tigers | Detroit Free Press
    Is he wearing big blousy stuff to cover up how fat he is, or has he lost so much weight his old clothes are too big for him? Or is this just a style?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast