Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 161 to 200 of 214

Thread: Skinny Miggy

  1. #161
    Who is the Drizzle?'s Avatar
    Who is the Drizzle? is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    7,537

    Default




    only thing i would add is that a lot of the oppo homers i've seen prince have been moon shots, so with him specifically (certainly not miggy) a few more might be caught than be doubles in comerica. and if my highlight sampling was unbiased.
    It stays on my head in here, this is the SHAKE SIGNAL, the MASTER SHAKE SIGNAL, you got that?

  2. #162
    tiger337's Avatar
    tiger337 is offline MotownSports Writer
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    46,936

    Default

    Cabrera's ISO over the year:

    .238
    .229
    .245
    .245
    .223
    .294
    .241

    Other than the big spike in 2010, I'm not seeing much of an increase. It doesn't seem to justify the 40-50 extra pounds he put on between 05 and 11. I'd rather he be a little smaller and more mobile.
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

    "They can use both (old- and new-school statistics)," Cabrera said. "In 2012, we've got to take advantage of all that.

  3. #163
    DaYooperASBDT's Avatar
    DaYooperASBDT is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    WHAT-IFS-VILLE
    Posts
    53,766
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Cabrera is a line drive hitter, better suited for a higher spot than cleanup IMHO.
    His line drives just happen to go a bit farther at times!
    2014 Adopt A Tiger: Casey Crosby
    These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... Morons.
    VT

  4. #164
    DaYooperASBDT's Avatar
    DaYooperASBDT is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    WHAT-IFS-VILLE
    Posts
    53,766
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Regarding weight loss, the only true expert around these parts was Pudge Rodriquez.
    2014 Adopt A Tiger: Casey Crosby
    These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... Morons.
    VT

  5. #165
    Who is the Drizzle?'s Avatar
    Who is the Drizzle? is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    7,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tiger337 View Post
    Cabrera's ISO over the year:

    .238
    .229
    .245
    .245
    .223
    .294
    .241

    Other than the big spike in 2010, I'm not seeing much of an increase. It doesn't seem to justify the 40-50 extra pounds he put on between 05 and 11. I'd rather he be a little smaller and more mobile.
    i'm not buying that ISO is an accurate correlation of what we're talking about.
    It stays on my head in here, this is the SHAKE SIGNAL, the MASTER SHAKE SIGNAL, you got that?

  6. #166
    tiger337's Avatar
    tiger337 is offline MotownSports Writer
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    46,936

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Who is the Drizzle? View Post
    i'm not buying that ISO is an accurate correlation of what we're talking about.
    Maybe not, but I'm interested more in final results than splits on which field he hits his homers. Those are certainly interesting to look at, but it doesn't seem to me that his increased size is improving his overall production much.
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

    "They can use both (old- and new-school statistics)," Cabrera said. "In 2012, we've got to take advantage of all that.

  7. #167
    Gehringer_2's Avatar
    Gehringer_2 is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Tiger country
    Posts
    27,045

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tiger337 View Post
    Cabrera's ISO over the year:

    .238
    .229
    .245
    .245
    .223
    .294
    .241

    Other than the big spike in 2010, I'm not seeing much of an increase. It doesn't seem to justify the 40-50 extra pounds he put on between 05 and 11. I'd rather he be a little smaller and more mobile.
    One the same fangraph's summary page the one that really jumps out at me is that after averaging an 18.6% rate in his last 4 yrs in FLA, since he has come to the Tigers his K rates have been 18.4; 15.6; 14.7; 12.9. That is a pretty nice progression.

    Or even more impressive, look at the ratio of his walk%/K% in his four years here and it runs:

    '08 =0.44
    '09 =0.63
    '10 =0.93
    '11 =1.21
    "Well that's it - you see what you want to see and you hear what you want to hear" - Rock Man

  8. #168
    Who is the Drizzle?'s Avatar
    Who is the Drizzle? is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    7,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tiger337 View Post
    Maybe not, but I'm interested more in final results than splits on which field he hits his homers. Those are certainly interesting to look at, but it doesn't seem to me that his increased size is improving his overall production much.
    that's fine. maybe a better argument on my part would be to say i don't think he could hit a home run 420+ feet to dead center without lifting his front foot when he was with florida.
    It stays on my head in here, this is the SHAKE SIGNAL, the MASTER SHAKE SIGNAL, you got that?

  9. #169
    Who is the Drizzle?'s Avatar
    Who is the Drizzle? is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    7,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gehringer_2 View Post
    One the same fangraph's summary page the one that really jumps out at me is that after averaging an 18.6% rate in his last 4 yrs in FLA, since he has come to the Tigers his K rates have been 18.4; 15.6; 14.7; 12.9. That is a pretty nice progression.

    Or even more impressive, look at the ratio of his walk%/K% in his four years here and it runs:

    '08 =0.44
    '09 =0.63
    '10 =0.93
    '11 =1.21
    he truly is a great hitter.
    It stays on my head in here, this is the SHAKE SIGNAL, the MASTER SHAKE SIGNAL, you got that?

  10. #170
    tiger337's Avatar
    tiger337 is offline MotownSports Writer
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    46,936

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gehringer_2 View Post
    One the same fangraph's summary page the one that really jumps out at me is that after averaging an 18.6% rate in his last 4 yrs in FLA, since he has come to the Tigers his K rates have been 18.4; 15.6; 14.7; 12.9. That is a pretty nice progression.

    Or even more impressive, look at the ratio of his walk%/K% in his four years here and it runs:

    '08 =0.44
    '09 =0.63
    '10 =0.93
    '11 =1.21
    yes, it seems that he has become a smarter hitter, but I would expect that given he is now in his prime. I don't believe his increased size is responsible for his improved BB/K ratio. It could be that pitchers fear him more now, but I'm guessing they feared him a lot all along. I'll also add that 2008 was an outlier:

    06 0.80
    07 0.62
    Last edited by tiger337; 02-15-2012 at 04:03 PM.
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

    "They can use both (old- and new-school statistics)," Cabrera said. "In 2012, we've got to take advantage of all that.

  11. #171
    John_Brian_K's Avatar
    John_Brian_K is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Dearborn, MI
    Posts
    15,730
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Who is the Drizzle? View Post
    he truly is a great hitter.
    I was going to say the same thing when I was looking at all these stats.
    "And that is part of the larger pattern of the appeal of a new online collectivism that is nothing less than a resurgence of the idea that the collective is all-wise, that it is desirable to have influence concentrated in a bottleneck that can channel the collective with the most verity and force."

  12. #172
    Mr. Bigglesworth's Avatar
    Mr. Bigglesworth is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Farmington Hills, MI
    Posts
    25,495

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tiger337 View Post
    yes, it seems that he has become a smarter hitter, but I would expect that given he is now in his prime. I don't believe his increased size is responsible for his improved BB/K ratio. It could be that pitchers fear him more now, but I'm guessing they feared him a lot all along. I'll also add that 2008 was an outlier:

    06 0.80
    07 0.62
    So Cabrera was regressing when the Tigers acquired him. Typical Dumbrowski.

    Apropos of nothing - I just ran 5k and feel refreshed.
    Last edited by Mr. Bigglesworth; 02-15-2012 at 05:24 PM.

  13. #173
    Gehringer_2's Avatar
    Gehringer_2 is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Tiger country
    Posts
    27,045

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tiger337 View Post
    .... I don't believe his increased size is responsible for his improved BB/K ratio......
    I did not intend to imply that - just blown away at how much he appears to be continually improving. No I think I already argued up thread that I don't think there is any value in guys in Miggy's size range getting any heavier. If hitting were all brute strength and leverage, the MetRx guys could make a lot more money than they get for carrying around engine blocks and towing box cars.
    "Well that's it - you see what you want to see and you hear what you want to hear" - Rock Man

  14. #174
    Brian's Avatar
    Brian is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    1,947

  15. #175
    Antrat's Avatar
    Antrat is online now MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    peeking in your window
    Posts
    25,943

    Default

    I really hope that this third base experiment turns out OK.
    Otherwise I fear it might get a little ugly if Cabrera of Fielder is told they have to spend a lot of time being a DH.
    I wonder if another factor involved in not wanting to be a DH in the prime of your career, is a fear of not making the HOF? I'm sure if it is, it isn't a big factor----but I bet it is in the back of their minds.
    "I'm disabled"

  16. #176
    A.J.K.'s Avatar
    A.J.K. is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Posts
    1,895

    Default

    Skinny Miggy, meet Fat Joba.

    2014 AAT: Luke Putkonen
    2013 AAT: Darin Downs
    All-time AAT: Jim Walewander

  17. #177
    mickeyb105 is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Vero Beach, FL
    Posts
    1,541

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gehringer_2 View Post
    I did not intend to imply that - just blown away at how much he appears to be continually improving. No I think I already argued up thread that I don't think there is any value in guys in Miggy's size range getting any heavier. If hitting were all brute strength and leverage, the MetRx guys could make a lot more money than they get for carrying around engine blocks and towing box cars.
    Agreed, but when a real slugger puts on a bunch of muscle their results can be staggering. We saw this during the steroid era with guys like Bonds, McGuire, Sosa, Bagwell, Canseco, Palmero, and even Pudge. There are others to add to this list, but these are some of the standouts.

    What that extra muscle really boosts, IMO, is opposite field power and Cabrera has certainly flashed that since he's been here in Detroit. He definitely needed to lose some weight, but people are wrong (not pointing fingers at anyone n this board, there are a lot of jealous Marlins fans here in Florida who talk about him like he's Shaun Rogers, though) in assuming that he only acquired body fat since coming here from the Marlins.
    Last edited by mickeyb105; 02-16-2012 at 04:04 PM.
    2012 AAT: Fu-Te Ni

  18. #178
    tiger337's Avatar
    tiger337 is offline MotownSports Writer
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    46,936

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mickeyb105 View Post
    What that extra muscle really boosts, IMO, is opposite field power and Cabrera has certainly flashed that since he's been here in Detroit. He definitely needed to lose some weight, but people are wrong (not pointing fingers at anyone n this board, there are a lot of jealous Marlins fans here in Florida who talk about him like he's Shaun Rogers, though) in assuming that he only acquired body fat since coming here from the Marlins.
    He's added muscle and fat in recent years. My argument is that it hasn't helped his overall game. He was already an elite hitter before he came to the Tigers. He has improved his plate discipline, but his power output has increased minimally if at all. I think he would have been better off working on flexibility and agility rather than adding unnecessary muscle mass and fat.
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

    "They can use both (old- and new-school statistics)," Cabrera said. "In 2012, we've got to take advantage of all that.

  19. #179
    alwaysthrowheat's Avatar
    alwaysthrowheat is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    4,203

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mickeyb105 View Post

    What that extra muscle really boosts, IMO, is opposite field power and Cabrera has certainly flashed that since he's been here in Detroit. He definitely needed to lose some weight, but people are wrong (not pointing fingers at anyone n this board, there are a lot of jealous Marlins fans here in Florida who talk about him like he's Shaun Rogers, though) in assuming that he only acquired body fat since coming here from the Marlins.
    He's hit less opposite field HR since he's been bigger. His overall power has been the same.

  20. #180
    Yoda's Avatar
    Yoda is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    59,365
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    I bet Joba can hit the ball pretty far with a gut like that.
    Up above, aliens hover, making home movies for the folks back home.
    Facebook

  21. #181
    Who is the Drizzle?'s Avatar
    Who is the Drizzle? is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    7,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I bet Joba can hit the ball pretty far with a gut like that.
    he should start running, the reason he stinks now is obviously his weight.
    It stays on my head in here, this is the SHAKE SIGNAL, the MASTER SHAKE SIGNAL, you got that?

  22. #182
    Who is the Drizzle?'s Avatar
    Who is the Drizzle? is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    7,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alwaysthrowheat View Post
    He's hit less opposite field HR since he's been bigger. His overall power has been the same.
    huh? that's not even close to true.
    It stays on my head in here, this is the SHAKE SIGNAL, the MASTER SHAKE SIGNAL, you got that?

  23. #183
    alwaysthrowheat's Avatar
    alwaysthrowheat is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    4,203

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Who is the Drizzle? View Post
    huh? that's not even close to true.
    7 oppo in 2006, 12 oppo in 2007, 17 in 2008, 6 in 2009, 11 in 2010, and 9 last season.

    I thought in 2010 and 2011, he was bigger than 07 and 08 personally. His power has been the same, I don't think there's any disputing that.

  24. #184
    Who is the Drizzle?'s Avatar
    Who is the Drizzle? is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    7,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alwaysthrowheat View Post
    7 oppo in 2006, 12 oppo in 2007, 17 in 2008, 6 in 2009, 11 in 2010, and 9 last season.

    I thought in 2010 and 2011, he was bigger than 07 and 08 personally. His power has been the same, I don't think there's any disputing that.
    I don't think there's been that much of a weight shift since he's been with the Tigers, other than maybe gradually gaining weight (both good and bad). There were concerns about his weight in Fla still. I would say he was lightest in 2006 and lighter before that.
    It stays on my head in here, this is the SHAKE SIGNAL, the MASTER SHAKE SIGNAL, you got that?

  25. #185
    alwaysthrowheat's Avatar
    alwaysthrowheat is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    4,203

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Who is the Drizzle? View Post
    I don't think there's been that much of a weight shift since he's been with the Tigers, other than maybe gradually gaining weight (both good and bad). There were concerns about his weight in Fla still. I would say he was lightest in 2006 and lighter before that.
    So then my point stands.

  26. #186
    chasfh's Avatar
    chasfh is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    60647
    Posts
    24,171

    Default

    I am really interested in seeing how he looks when he's in Lakeland. I fear we will be disappointed that he hasn't lost as much weight or gotten as fit as he's being touted. I hope that fear is unfounded.

  27. #187
    Who is the Drizzle?'s Avatar
    Who is the Drizzle? is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    7,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alwaysthrowheat View Post
    So then my point stands.
    ???
    It stays on my head in here, this is the SHAKE SIGNAL, the MASTER SHAKE SIGNAL, you got that?

  28. #188
    Yoda's Avatar
    Yoda is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    59,365
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chasfh View Post
    I am really interested in seeing how he looks when he's in Lakeland. I fear we will be disappointed that he hasn't lost as much weight or gotten as fit as he's being touted. I hope that fear is unfounded.
    Well I've seen 3 photos and I doubt he was just sucking his gut in in all 3. Especially while in the batting cage. He may have been pulling his face fat in though just to trick us.
    Last edited by Yoda; 02-16-2012 at 07:02 PM.
    Up above, aliens hover, making home movies for the folks back home.
    Facebook

  29. #189
    Shelton's Avatar
    Shelton is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Ann Arbor
    Posts
    25,697

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chasfh View Post
    I am really interested in seeing how he looks when he's in Lakeland. I fear we will be disappointed that he hasn't lost as much weight or gotten as fit as he's being touted. I hope that fear is unfounded.
    Ok, captain ahab.
    AAT: Ian Kinsler

  30. #190
    IdahoBert's Avatar
    IdahoBert is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Boise, Idaho
    Posts
    32,492

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chasfh View Post
    I am really interested in seeing how he looks when he's in Lakeland. I fear we will be disappointed that he hasn't lost as much weight or gotten as fit as he's being touted. I hope that fear is unfounded.
    Ask and ye shall receive.

    This is Miggy at Lakeland yesterday.







    https://twitter.com/#!/OFFICIAL_TIGE...314944/photo/1
    "If you want a guarantee, buy a toaster."--Clint Eastwood

    2014 Adopt A Tiger: Aníbal Sánchez, RSP

  31. #191
    tiger337's Avatar
    tiger337 is offline MotownSports Writer
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    46,936

    Default

    There he is posing to make himself look skinny again.
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

    "They can use both (old- and new-school statistics)," Cabrera said. "In 2012, we've got to take advantage of all that.

  32. #192
    IdahoBert's Avatar
    IdahoBert is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Boise, Idaho
    Posts
    32,492

    Default

    His snappy metro haircut makes him look skinny. He's still 290 lbs.
    "If you want a guarantee, buy a toaster."--Clint Eastwood

    2014 Adopt A Tiger: Aníbal Sánchez, RSP

  33. #193
    Antrat's Avatar
    Antrat is online now MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    peeking in your window
    Posts
    25,943

    Default

    They put Peralta behind him so that he looks skinnier.
    "I'm disabled"

  34. #194
    IdahoBert's Avatar
    IdahoBert is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Boise, Idaho
    Posts
    32,492

    Default

    "If you want a guarantee, buy a toaster."--Clint Eastwood

    2014 Adopt A Tiger: Aníbal Sánchez, RSP

  35. #195
    Dino's Avatar
    Dino is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    Posts
    2,059

  36. #196
    tiger337's Avatar
    tiger337 is offline MotownSports Writer
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    46,936

    Default

    wow, he looks a lot different.
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

    "They can use both (old- and new-school statistics)," Cabrera said. "In 2012, we've got to take advantage of all that.

  37. #197
    Eric Cioe's Avatar
    Eric Cioe is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Missoula, MT
    Posts
    21,033

    Default

    Wow is right. He looks like Adam Everett in that clip.
    "I can't say I'm pleased to see you and warn you I may have to do something about it." Knut Hamsun

  38. #198
    tiger337's Avatar
    tiger337 is offline MotownSports Writer
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    46,936

    Default

    This Free Press photo looks weird. Looks like he's wearing stockings, a skirt and a woman's suit coat:

    Miguel Cabrera arrives at spring training | freep.com | Detroit Detroit Tigers | Detroit Free Press
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

    "They can use both (old- and new-school statistics)," Cabrera said. "In 2012, we've got to take advantage of all that.

  39. #199
    Jeff6851's Avatar
    Jeff6851 is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    St Louis
    Posts
    5,367

    Default

    Guys, Cabrera can't play third base. He's fat and he sucked at first. All he is is offense. Verlander is overrated and can't beat the AL East. All the Tigers players will regress. Just give up. They'll win their divison because it sucks. Yankees, Rangers, Angels and Rays are all better.

    Some people
    2012 AL Champs

  40. #200
    IdahoBert's Avatar
    IdahoBert is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Boise, Idaho
    Posts
    32,492

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tiger337 View Post
    This Free Press photo looks weird. Looks like he's wearing stockings, a skirt and a woman's suit coat:

    Miguel Cabrera arrives at spring training | freep.com | Detroit Detroit Tigers | Detroit Free Press
    Is he wearing big blousy stuff to cover up how fat he is, or has he lost so much weight his old clothes are too big for him? Or is this just a style?
    "If you want a guarantee, buy a toaster."--Clint Eastwood

    2014 Adopt A Tiger: Aníbal Sánchez, RSP

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Miggy gets DUI
    By bighev in forum Detroit Tigers
    Replies: 1599
    Last Post: 04-20-2011, 03:42 AM
  2. A discussion on political correctness and fat/skinny people
    By Yoda in forum MotownSports Bar and Grill
    Replies: 76
    Last Post: 01-12-2007, 10:41 AM
  3. Gettin' skinny
    By dt35456884 in forum MotownSports Bar and Grill
    Replies: 150
    Last Post: 03-31-2006, 07:29 PM
  4. Gettin' Skinny Part II
    By OldTimey in forum MotownSports Bar and Grill
    Replies: 85
    Last Post: 08-08-2005, 12:48 AM
  5. Neyer on Miggy
    By Owen Wilson in forum Detroit Tigers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-12-2003, 04:33 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •