Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    hueytaxi is online now MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by TigersFan81371 View Post
    Oh, snap! The #1 guy on my list has been chosen! I've read that it's very likely that we'll be seeing him start the season in WM again, and I'm also hoping to see some big-time improvement. I've been intrigued by his power potential ever since I first read about him at TigsTown.com in '09.
    He destroyed more than his share of baseballs during Instructs.
    Live your life for what it can be and not for what it was.

MMXIV AAT: KYLE RYAN
    VT

Charles Liston is online now MotownSports Fan

Zach Maxfield

Zach Maxfield has a big mountain to climb. He is a 4-year college player, undrafted, signed as a free agent and assigned to the GCL at age 23. Therefore, the "old for the level" tag was in place as of the first day of his career.

The intriguing thing about Zach is simply his bat. In 2011 at GCL he put up a line of .272/.410/.481, with 4 home runs and 5 doubles in 81 AB's. The plate discipline looks quite adequate with 13 walks against 19 K's.

His college totals, admittedly not against top-flight competition (Atlantic Sun Conference), are jaw-dropping. His three-year career compares eerily to a full season in the major leagues - 164 games, 649 AB's. The line is .377/.471/.644, and check the counting stats: 158 runs, 180 RBI, 54 doubles, 41 HR.

No matter what the level of competition, a bat like that deserves a look. And yet he was not drafted. I think that that probably tells us what we need to know about the arm, the glove, and the wheels, and probably the swing mechanics. He needs to make it at 1B/DH, and due to his age he needs to move quickly. He is behind several more accomplished first basemen in the lower ranks, many of of whom are younger. At 6'0", 200, he is a modestly-sized target at first base.

Zach needs to make it to West Michigan, at a minimum, by the end of 2012. The odds don't seem to be in his favour but he will be an interesting guy to watch.

LJK004 is offline MotownSports Fan

With the 59th pick, I'll take another hard throwing pitcher, though this time I'm taking a southpaw, Matt Hoffman.

He was selected in the 26th round of the 2007 draft out of high school in Oklahoma. Last year spending almost all year in Toledo, he went 2-5 with a 3.18 ERA and only 46 K in 62.1 innings pitched. For someone who throws in the mid 90's the K/9 will probably have to improve as well as his BB/9 rate. He seems to have figured something out last year as his ERA is way down, his H/9, BB/9, and HR/9 have all decreased even though he was in a higher league.
    2012 Adopt a Tiger - Matt Hoffman

TigersFan81371 is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

If you check out TigsTown.com today, Matt Hoffman's Top 50 Prospect profile is running as a free preview of what would normally be subscription-only content.
    @MrPaulOzzOslund Model citizen, zero discipline.
    *2014 Adopt-A-Tiger: Harold Castro.
    *All-Time Adopt-A-Tiger: Paul Carey, Bluhm Memorial Detroit Tigers HOF Inductee

TheCouga is offline MotownSports Fan

I know exactly who I want, but he has to survive 13 more picks, and that's certainly not a given. The pressure's on...I can feel it!

I have a backup plan just in case though.
    Distribution of wealth is not in any way democratic. It is, in fact, tyrannical, in that a very select few own almost all of it, while most have little to no access. To have a country that prioritizes wealth over individual rights is the antithesis of democracy.

New_Age_X is offline MotownSports Fan

With the 57th pick I select Adam Wilk. I love this kid and hope to see more of him up here this year.

Was really hoping for my fave Tiger Clete Thomas to fall just a few spots more but it didn't happen.

Blog Entries

I'm interested to see who gets picked between now and when it's my turn.

Still some intriguing names up there like young pitchers on the 40-man that we might see in Detroit this year: Marte, Ortega, Stohr and Villarreal.

Nobody has picked Laird yet. Poor guy.

Of course, there are always people who like to gravitate toward coaches and broadcasters, so there's still a nice selection there for those people. "Mr. I" hasn't been picked yet, so it wouldn't surprise me to see him snapped up soon.

Some intriguing minor league guys still on the board like Curt Casali, Bryan Holaday, Pat Leyland, Javier Azcona, Brandon Douglas, Cale Iorg, Brandon Loy, Jason King, Jamie Johnson, Tony Plagman, James Robbins, Ryan Strieby, Alex Burgos, Kevin Eichhorn, Fu-Te Ni, Bruce Rondon and Austin Wood.

I see that one of my former AATs, Justin Henry (2008), has been picked, but three others, Josue Carreno (2011), Ramon Lebron (2010) and Thad Weber (2009) haven't been. Carreno, to me, is the most appealing of those three. Lebron had a nice bounceback year last season after struggling the year before that. Not sure how much longer Weber might stick around in the org.

Yes, there are certainly plenty of options for the next few picks.

Corky is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TigersFan81371 View Post
    I'm interested to see who gets picked between now and when it's my turn.

Of course, there are always people who like to gravitate toward coaches and broadcasters, so there's still a nice selection there for those people. "Mr. I" hasn't been picked yet, so it wouldn't surprise me to see him snapped up soon.
    I think a few folks picked him in the Death Pool.
    2014 AAT - Phil Coke

I was thrown out of N.Y.U. my freshman year for cheating on my metaphysics final, you know. I looked within the soul of the boy sitting next to me. - Alvy Singer

DontGotSheed is offline MotownSports Fan

Look at Yoop scooping up Mean Dean Green! I like it Yoop, he was on my short list.
    AAT: 2012~Rob Brantly 2011~Daniel Fields 2010~Alden Carrithers

alwaysthrowheat is offline MotownSports Fan

15 Day DL is offline MotownSports Fan

With the 61st pick, I select OF Ben Guez! Woo!

bugmanson is offline MotownSports Fan

Tyler Stohr, LHP
    AaL '11 - Alphonso Smith / AaL '12 - Corey Williams / AaL '13 - Stephen Tulloch
    AaT '12 - Tyler Stohr / AaT '13 - Jose Alvarez
    AaT '14 Bruce Rondon

Blog Entries

With the 65th pick in the 2012 MotownSports.com Adopt-A-Tiger Draft Extravaganza, TigersFan81371 selects

Tommy Collier
    Right-handed Starting Pitcher

2011 Instructional League Photos by HueyTaxi

Born: 12/3/89
    Birthplace: Houston, TX
    School: San Jacinto (TX) CC North
    Height: 6'2"
    Weight: 205

Drafted by the Tigers in the 22nd round of the 2011 draft.

Collier was recently revealed to be the 31st best prospect in the Tigers' organization, according to TigsTown.com. Here's the blurb from the announcement page (which is available as free content, not subscriber-only content):

The Tigers “bought low” on Collier in last summer’s draft as he was still working his way back from Tommy John surgery the previous year. Collier’s fastball sits in the low-90s with sink and his curveball and slider will both flash as solid pitches. He has a good feel for pitching and a great frame for added strength. Some scouts see mid-rotation potential in Collier and he should be one to watch in his full-season debut in 2012.
    He came in at #40 on MotorCityBengals.com's Top 50 Prospects List. While digging up info, I also read that he does a good job of setting up hitters and has a pretty good pickoff move.

Collier made his professional debut with the Connecticut Tigers of the (short season A) New York Penn League. You can see what each of his seven starts looked like right here. Only one of them could be described as bad. You can take a look at the overall season numbers right here. Yes, it's a small sample size, but the ERA (1.85), WHIP (.0974) and K/9 (8.1) all look nice. He only allowed one home run in 39 innings pitched.

The youngster had himself quite a debut, throwing five shutout innings on July 25th against Williamsport. Unfortunately, the C-Tigers would end up losing the game 4-3, but Collier got some nice coverage from the local paper, the Norwich Bulletin.

Collier joined the Tigers on Sunday after coming to terms on a contract with the parent club, Detroit. He spent most of the summer with the Bourne Braves of the Cape Cod League and stepped right into Connecticut’s rotation with ease.

He was spotted a two-run lead thanks to single runs in the first two innings by his offense. Going five innings in his debut, Collier allowed two hits, one walk and struck out five.

“A couple of pitches should have been better, that’s just something I have to work on,” he said. “Overall, I think I did OK. I did very good for my first day, figuring out how hitters are up here. Other than that, I still have some work to do.”
    Collier enjoyed another exciting night on July 31st, when he faced Batavia, as noted by the Bulletin.

Connecticut Tigers pitcher Tommy Collier had a stretch of about 18 hours that began and ended with surprises.

The first was a call from his father, who secretly flew in from Houston, Texas, to see Collier’s second pro start. The second was a cooler of ice water being emptied on his head after earning his first career victory, 8-2, over Batavia on Sunday at Dodd Stadium.

But the biggest surprise, though, is how well Collier has been pitching.

The 22nd-round pick of Detroit signed his first contract just over a week ago and, in two starts, has thrown 10 2/3 innings, allowing just one run while striking out 12.

Mixing all of his pitches, Collier took advantage of an overly aggressive group of Muckdogs (21-22). Fourteen of 21 batters saw first-pitch strikes.

“What I saw (Saturday), a lot of them swung early in counts,” Collier said. “I figured since they lost in 12 innings (Saturday) they would be aggressive again. I used the changeup early and made sure I had command with the fastball on the corners helped me a lot.”
    It didn't take Collier long to establish himself as an important part of the C-Tigers' quest for the NYPL's Stedler Division title. He pitched the biggest game of his young career on August 26th, and the Bulletin was there to cover it.

Thanks to a 5-0 victory Friday night over Vermont, Connecticut took over first place of the New York-Penn League’s Stedler Division by half a game.

(snip)

Collier (3-1) went 5 1⁄3 scoreless innings, striking out six and allowing three hits. He hasn’t allowed an earned run in 11 1⁄3 innings.

“This was a big game because we’re chasing first place and we want to win our division,” Collier said. “I just wanted to give us a chance to win. When I got myself into a bind, I wanted to handle the adversity as best I can. That was my mentality, just battle through that and get outs for the team.”

Those hits, along with two walks, put him in a couple of jams, one in the second inning and another in the sixth.

In the second jam, he loaded the bases on a hit batter, an error and a walk before getting an out.

Jeff Barfield came in and got the last two outs to finish off the Lake Monsters (33-32)
    Hopefully that experience in such a key situation will serve Collier well in the future. Unfortunately, the C-Tigers fell short of their playoff goal. They finished the season tied for first with the Vermont Lake Monsters, but because the VLM won the tie-breaker (by winning six of the season's 10 head to head matchups), they advanced to the post-season while the C-Tigers went home.

Collier could find himself in the West Michigan Whitecaps' 2012 rotation, which would be cool because that means I'd be able to watch him pitch in person when the 'Caps come to Midland to take on the Great Lakes Loons (if the rotation and schedule work out that way), or maybe during a summer roadtrip to Comstock Park.
    Last edited by TigersFan81371; 01-17-2012 at 10:49 PM.

Los Gatos is offline MotownSports Fan

Collier = great pick!!

mr0zip0 is offline MotownSports Fan

I can't believe I'm going to do this, but I am...

With the 67th pick (60th selection) in the 2012 Adopt-a-Tiger Extravaganza, I will select...

GERALD LAIRD

Last edited by mr0zip0; 01-18-2012 at 03:53 PM.

DaYooperASBDT is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Gerald freakin Laird, baby! I almost drafted him.
    2014 Adopt A Tiger: Casey Crosby
    These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... Morons.
    VT

mr0zip0 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by DaYooperASBDT View Post
    Gerald freakin Laird, baby! I almost drafted him.
    At about 58 or 59, I saw him availible, and knew that if he was still there, I wouldn't be able to live with myself this season with a prospect or coach, knowing what could have been.

Thanks again for running this!

tigerfanatic is offline MotownSports Fan
    Waco, TX by way of Dearborn MI, Columbus GA, and New Orleans LA

I decided on a somewhat unusual pick and take the lovely third base coach Gene Lamont.
    Tigers Baseball...What else is there?
    VT

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Los Gatos View Post
    Collier = great pick!!
    On Collier's behalf, I thank you!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tigerfanatic View Post
    I decided on a somewhat unusual pick and take the lovely third base coach Gene Lamont.
    Quite lovely indeed!
    These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... Morons.
    VT

davidsb is offline MotownSports Fan

With the 71st pick - - not a real prospect but a grandson of one of the all-time greats - -

Attached Images Attached Images

...and then subsequently, I will choose the next Carlos Guillen, slick-fielding SS with pop and a close to flat K/BB ratio, Eugenio Suarez. Suarez murdered the GCL last year (by SS standards), and even showed plus power in the NY Penn league at only age 19.

The only decent photo I found was one from the scout.com profile, but I'm not sure of the policy on hyperlinking of photos here, especially if it's Mark's site.
    Last edited by TheCouga; 01-18-2012 at 09:42 PM.
    Distribution of wealth is not in any way democratic. It is, in fact, tyrannical, in that a very select few own almost all of it, while most have little to no access. To have a country that prioritizes wealth over individual rights is the antithesis of democracy.

EatEmUpTigers711 is offline MotownSports Fan

I'll take Ryan Strieby this year

2012 Adopt-A-Tiger - Ryan Strieby
    2011 Adopt-A-Lion - #26 Louis Delmas - 51 Tackles

plantcitytigersfan is offline MotownSports Fan

I select Brandon Loy, a 21 year old SS who ended last season in Lakeland. I just have to hope that the Tigers assign Loy to Lakeland this year and let Dixon Machado mature for another season in West Michigan. I will have more on Brandon Loy tomorrow.

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by plantcitytigersfan View Post
    I select Brandon Loy, a 21 year old SS who ended last season in Lakeland. I just have to hope that the Tigers assign Loy to Lakeland this year and let Dixon Machado mature for another season in West Michigan. I will have more on Brandon Loy tomorrow.

Larry
    It will be an interesting predicament where these guys end up. My boy Suarez has certainly earned his ticket to full-season ball. Having too many shortstops isn't a bad problem to have.

Quote Originally Posted by plantcitytigersfan View Post

Larry
    As a high school senior in 2008, Brandon Loy batted 517 and was drafted by the Baltimore Orioles in the 32 round. He didn't sign and attended the University of Texas. As a true freshman, he started all 67 games, 49 of which were at SS and the other 18 at 3B. As a sophomore, he started all 58 games at short. As a junior, he started all 68 games at short, meaning that he started every game of his college career. In his junior year, he was the second leading batter on the team at 342 with one home run and thirty RBI's. He had 283 chances at short and made 7 errors. He was drafted by the Tigers in the 5th round of the 2011 draft. After batting 333 in 15 plate appearances in the GCL, he was promoted to Lakeland where he batted 220 in 41 at bats. His Baseball America scouting report stated that he is a sure fire major league prospect defensively but will probably have to bat at the bottom of the order. I can only hope he works out as well as the last AAT I drafted with the first name Brandon (Douglas) in 2010.

Larry
    2011 AAT Brandon Loy

Quote Originally Posted by TheCouga View Post
    It will be an interesting predicament where these guys end up. My boy Suarez has certainly earned his ticket to full-season ball. Having too many shortstops isn't a bad problem to have.
    Your absolutely right, especially if Gustavo gets returned from the Pittsburgh organization. Machado turns 20 next month and his listed weight is 140 pounds and he batted 235 with only 3 extra base hits all last year in WM so he could afford to repeat WM. The only thing I have learned about the Tigers assigning their minor leaguers is that you never know.

Larry
    2011 AAT Brandon Loy

treyKemper is offline MotownSports Fan

I select:

Voss, Jay Voss!
    VT----------2013/14 AAL Darius Slay
    2014 AAT Eugenio Suarez
    Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society. - Mark Twain

hueytaxi is online now MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by TheCouga View Post
    ...and then subsequently, I will choose the next Carlos Guillen, slick-fielding SS with pop and a close to flat K/BB ratio, Eugenio Suarez. Suarez murdered the GCL last year (by SS standards), and even showed plus power in the NY Penn league at only age 19.

The only decent photo I found was one from the scout.com profile, but I'm not sure of the policy on hyperlinking of photos here, especially if it's Mark's site.
    Live your life for what it can be and not for what it was.

MMXIV AAT: KYLE RYAN
    VT

treyKemper is offline MotownSports Fan

Jay Voss (<<Click for Stats) the Nate Robertson gift that keeps on giving.

Maybe he will see some major league time this year?
    VT----------2013/14 AAL Darius Slay
    2014 AAT Eugenio Suarez
    Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society. - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by hueytaxi View Post
    Thanks Roger. I kind of figured you'd have something on file.

I present:

EUGENIO SUAREZ
    SS | 5' 11" | 155 lbs.
    Age 20 | Puerto Ordaz, Bolivar, VE
    Bats: Both | Throws: Right

Described as a "slick fielding" shortstop by scout.com, Suarez ranks as the Tigers' 39th best prospect according to TigerTown, although John Sickles has ranked him as high as 10th. But he doesn't just field, he hits, too. An international signing, Suarez spent his 18yo season with the VSL Tigers putting up an impressive .311/.389/.396 line while providing plus defense and putting up a 23/41 K/BB ratio in 261 PA.

This performance brought him stateside in 2011, and at age 19 he proved he belonged and then some. He destroyed GCL pitching, putting up a .341/.408/.636 line (good fo a 1.045 OPS) in his first 50 PA, striking out only 4 times and walking 3. The Tigers then sent him to Connecticut, where he maintained his power production and good strikeout totals, posting a .250/.323/.426 line with an 18/43 K/BB ratio in 229 PA. The most impressive thing about Suarez' performance is that after a very aggressive pomotion from the VSL to SS-A within a year, his already good strikeout rate did not go up at all, and Suarez maintained his good power output, hitting 11 2B, 5 3B, and 5 HR, all with a 19yo, 155 lb. frame. Power from the SS position is rare in the post-steroid era, and Suarez has both gap and HR power.

Suarez has likely earned a ticket to full-season play. From stats alone, Suarez resembles Carlos Guillen, being a switch-hitting Venezuelan SS with power and good strikeout totals, with plus defense to boot. Suarez must continue to work on his pitch selection, however, as his average dropped to .250, but given his age, he has plenty of time to define himself as a blue chip prospect moving forward.

MotorCityKitty is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by EatEmUpTigers711 View Post
    I'll take Ryan Strieby this year

Maybe he will see some time with the Big Club this year being a DH!
    2012 AAT: Justin Henry

mickeyb105 is offline MotownSports Fan

Better late than never, I'll take a man who needs another chance:

Fu-Ti Ni, LHP

AKA Ni Tu Di Gong, AKA Fu Teh Cheng Shen

Blog Entries

Fu did pretty good as a starting pitcher in the second half of 2011 for the Mud Hens, should be fun to follow.
    VT

Mark The Shark is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

I'll take Luis Marte this year. I'm actually excited to get a player that good at #77!

Marte was listed as the 8th best prospect called up to the majors in September 2011.

Luis Marte spent the majority of the 2011 season at Double-A for the Tigers, but was still offered a September call-up to show his stuff on the Major League level.

Marte, 24 years old, had a 1.92 ERA and 11.2 K/9 rate in 25 minor league appearances in 2011.
    Power Ranking the 25 Best Prospects Called Up on September 1 | Bleacher Report

Luis Marte Statistics and History - Baseball-Reference.com
    Last edited by Mark The Shark; 01-19-2012 at 04:55 PM.
    2012 Adopted Tiger -- RHP Luis Marte

wolverinefan is offline MotownSports Fan

Yoop, going to take your pick from last year..

Bruce Rondon
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by wolverinefan; 01-19-2012 at 06:23 PM.
    VT
    2014 AAT - Hernan Perez
    CMW KMK CRV

Blog Entries

Cool, hopefully you can nurse him through a whole season and he improves on his control, crossing the fingers!
    VT

Blog Entries

76 Jeff6851 ***** ON THE CLOCK 9:05 am *****
    77 Mark The Shark - Luis Marte, RP
    78 BigDom - may select at any time
    79 TurnerHasHYPE ***** ON THE CLOCK 6:20 pm *****
    80 VegasTiger ***** ON THE CLOCK 6:20 pm *****
    81 Verlander MVP 2011
    82 popout2short
    83 ChrisBrown
    84 Simple Simon
    85 JR
    86 sagnam
    87 Detroit Rock City
    88 toadhunter911
    89 The Truman Show
    90 CO3BRA
    Last edited by DaYooperASBDT; 01-19-2012 at 06:59 PM.
    VT

Shelton is online now MotownSports Fan

There should be an adopt a MTS member draft.
    AAT: Ian Kinsler

Freehan_1968 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by DaYooperASBDT View Post
    Vegas u r up !!!

Yoop...could you let me know if you got the list I tried to pm you? Thanks.
    2012 AAT: Jose Ortega

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast