Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    chasfh is offline MotownSports Fan

Default Comerica Park Renovations?

I just got a tweet from the official Tigers account saying:

BREAKING: Tigerfest has been postponed to 2013 because of renovations to Comerica Park. Full Story: http://t.co/Ynqk3vve

But when you click a link, you get some MLB page with some sort of error message.

Does anyone here know the nature of the renovations? I hope a much better scoreboard is part of it.
    If there's a God, He is laughing at us and our football team.

Johnny Mac is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Delete the beta part

From the article

While Tigers fans can look forward to an improved ballpark atmosphere next season, including upgrades to the enormous left-field scoreboard, the work required to get it done is going to take some patience through the long Michigan winter.
    The upgrades to Comerica Park are among the biggest since it opened in 2000. The Tigers opened a new retail store called "The D Shop" last spring, and retail sales jumped 26 percent over the previous year. The success earned the team recognition as MLB's Club Retailer of the Year.

Details on the scoreboard upgrades are expected to be announced soon. The scoreboard is largely the same as when the ballpark opened, and has shown its age at times over the last few years.

At the same time, new scoreboards, including huge video boards and improved graphics, have had major effects on ballparks around the Majors. A giant video board and LED scoreboard was one of the highlights of a massive renovation of Kauffman Stadium in Kansas City before the 2009 season, and helped modernize one of baseball's older ballparks. The Phillies updated their scoreboard last offseason with an HD board that stands as the National League's largest.

Working on as large of a scoreboard as Comerica Park -- still one of the biggest in the big leagues -- takes up space and time around the ballpark for new parts and the equipment to install them. That's where the Tigers, who have held a fanfest event for about the last 15 years, encountered challenges, then concerns.
    2010 AAL Louis Delmas - 84 tackles 2 sacks 2 FF - Pro Bowl Alternate
    2010 AAW Johan Franzen (Mule) - 76 games 28 goals 27 assists +5
    2011 AAT Jhonny Peralta .324/.359/.500 1 HR 4 RBI

CapitalTigers is offline MotownSports Fan

Maybe make the outfield bigger?
    I like a man who grins when he fights--- Sir Winston Churchill.

Yoda is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Very cool... It's gotta be an HD board. That'll be nice.
    Up above, aliens hover, making home movies for the folks back home.
    Facebook

dabeave is offline MotownSports Fan

I've sat in section 345 once. If you ever wondered why the left side of the scoreboard's quality was worse than that on the right, it's because it had 3 different colored light bulbs all over it. If we see efficiencies at home with energy saving light bulbs and LED's, it would only make sense to remove it for a higher quality, more energy efficient board.

Imagine having all of that power on for 81 times a year for over 4 hours. The operating cost alone has to add up.

Mitchman is offline MotownSports Fan

I have been complaining about the scoreboard for years. So this is good news assuming its a hd screen. I realize I am not at the game for the scoreboard but its just sad comparing it to the scoreboard at progressive field and many others in the majors.

alwaysthrowheat is offline MotownSports Fan

Maybe they'll move the scoreboard to its left 100 feet while they're at it.

Motor City Sonics is offline MotownSports Fan

I have a really good source that tells me they are changing the dimensions of the outfield as well and they are naming the left field power alley Aramis' Alley. Wonder what that means.
    World Series or Bust. Guess What? Bust........again.

Johnny Mac is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Motor City Sonics View Post
    I have a really good source that tells me they are changing the dimensions of the outfield as well and they are naming the left field power alley Aramis' Alley. Wonder what that means.
    Aramis already signed with another team...
    2010 AAL Louis Delmas - 84 tackles 2 sacks 2 FF - Pro Bowl Alternate
    2010 AAW Johan Franzen (Mule) - 76 games 28 goals 27 assists +5
    2011 AAT Jhonny Peralta .324/.359/.500 1 HR 4 RBI

monkeynuts is offline MotownSports Fan

For the love of god...move TigerFest back to the JOE!
    Obama '12

2012 MSU Football Unofficial Adopt-A-Spartan - Larry Caper

Motor City Sonics is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Mac View Post
    Aramis already signed with another team...
    Then they need to name it something else ! The Prado Porch?
    World Series or Bust. Guess What? Bust........again.

EppOnite is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by monkeynuts View Post
    Just dress appropriate. Your outside in January, come prepared. I love getting back into Comerica as the ball fever begins to itch more.
    Everyone BOO Hossa!

Yoda is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by EppOnite View Post
    Just dress appropriate. Your outside in January, come prepared. I love getting back into Comerica as the ball fever begins to itch more.
    I don't think his comment had anything to do with the weather. They cancelled TF because of renovations to Comerica. Hence, move it to the Joe.
    Up above, aliens hover, making home movies for the folks back home.
    Facebook

ROMAD1 is offline MotownSports Fan

they have always had a problem for fans in left field with the sun between 7-8pm ish. Not sure how they fix that...a giant retractable screen up over the 1b side of the stadium?

Funny how the story says:

Working on as large of a scoreboard as Comerica Park -- still one of the biggest in the big leagues -- takes up space and time around the ballpark for new parts and the equipment to install them.
    They have to be referring to total structure size, because as far as I can tell, it's mostly advertising and green space. It looks to me like less than a quarter of it is dedicated to video and scorekeeping -- and even those parts are frequently used for advertising:

So from that standpoint, Comerica has what I think is the most disappointing scoreboard in the majors.

Now, if you want to do it right -- I mean really right -- use Miller Park as your model:

dadair6 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Very cool... It's gotta be an HD board. That'll be nice.
    It better be an HD board. We went to Baltimore and Rogers Centre this summer, both parks opened at least 9 years before Comerica, and they have HD boards. Baltimore had to retrofit their existing board and they did a nice job.
    "This is Michigan, for god's sake!"
    -Brady Hoke

Here's a really radical idea: tear down the board in left field and build a new one in center field, above the fountain. That way, everybody in the park has a good angle to view it. Who needs to stare at the DAC, anyway?

Oblong is offline MotownSports Fan

They can't move it to the Joe because the Wings are playing on th 14th and 21st. I'm guessing the 28th is too late because of the caravan and spring training?

Casimir is offline MotownSports Fan

I agree with Chas, that scoreboard may be large in its totality, but for all of its girth, it is rather unimpressive with its "scoreboard" offerings outside of advertising. (I guess it's true, it isn't the size that counts.....)

I assume that the statues would likely be moved if there is heavy work being done around that area. If in fact they are moved, I wonder if they replace them in such a way to allow room necessary for the long overdue Whitaker/Trammell combo statue?

John_Brian_K is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

I never really noticed how bad that thing sucks until just now. I had a friend who worked on the construction and he told me that they screwed up in the placement...I think it became common knowledge...I always thought it looked too far in the left field area.

I would not mind them moving it, but I am not sure if it is logistically possible..you would need 4 new footings...BIG footings.

A new HD screen that is a little larger would be nice.

Nice to see Illitch opening the wallet and spending some of that extra cash he got from the playoffs....it is really nice to live in a town where the owner appreciates the fans and spends that money....it could be sooo much worse...owner wise I mean.
    "And that is part of the larger pattern of the appeal of a new online collectivism that is nothing less than a resurgence of the idea that the collective is all-wise, that it is desirable to have influence concentrated in a bottleneck that can channel the collective with the most verity and force."

lesgoblu02 is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

You'd really only need two new footings. One right where the Dunhams and Pepsi signs meet in that pic above, and one to the right of the existing scoreboard. Move the whole thing over from there. They could either remove the two left most footings completely, or put another giant billboard up there.

Moving it this far right would also hide that hideous parking garage next to the DAC.
    Every time you play a hand of you poker you wanna run through a mental check list. Head Position Hand Position Neck Position Breathing Posture. More than 25 items. It's a lot. And that why I've come up with a handy mnemonic device. Just one word: HPHPNPBPECMSPAMDCPAFTSTTL. It's easy.

I think they should just reduce the size of it. It's obnoxious looking. They really hyped it up as the "Largest scoreboard" but big deal.

Scotty 2 Hotty is offline MotownSports Fan

I've always wanted them to make the back wall of the bullpen (the old home run fence) a little nicer (stone, brick, something) so it doesn't look so obvious that the bullpen was not originally there. I know, I am nitpicking incredibly hard, but that's always stuck out to me.

PuNk42AE is offline MotownSports Fan

Man am I glad that they are changing it. When I went to my first game at Copa I didn't really think anything of it. But two years ago when I saw them in Baltimore and then followed them home and went to some games at Copa I realized how horrible the scoreboard was. Honestly it's like a glorified Minor league scoreboard right now.
    VT B.R.B. "We only part to meet again"

2014 AAT: RHP Warwick Saupold

Tigers4F4 is offline MotownSports Fan

Never been to Comerica Park. I live in Australia.

What I would like to know is that when they built the stadium, did they make provision for future upgrades in seating? I know that Tiger Stadium had a lot more seats than Comerica. It is nice to see the city over the outfield perimeter, but could they build more bleachers and still keep some of the view of Detroit?

mmwatkin is offline MotownSports Fan

If the whole thing isn't converted into a giant HD board I am going to be pretty bummed.

Hmm...after the 2006 season they added the ribbon boards and upgraded the RF out-of-town scoreboard. After 2011 they are upgrading the main scoreboard.

I guess we know where all that playoff cheddar is going

TigerFan2490 is offline MotownSports Fan

Default Some Thoughts (or rants some may say)

The scoreboard should be moved to CF and the fountain moved to the scrapheap. The green fuzz covering CF is embarassing. What purpose do the fountains serve? When should we expext them to come on??? HRs? Runs scored??? I do not see the entertainment value!

The big question is: Why do we delude ouselves into believing that the Tigers will not screw this up??? They are ALWAYS one of the last teams to do anything (put up a ST schedule, put tix on sale, send out season tix, announce their fain fest). Maybe they can have people stand behind the scoreboard and manually display information to the fans. Now, there's an idea! They need to look at other teams and other parks to see how to do things right. CoPa is the filthies "modern" park I've been to. Get the exalted Mr. I. to allow real Detroit restaurants to sell their food. Fake Chinese, Mexican and Lil Seizures pizza??? Is ther no better representation of our city's cuisine than that??? Look at the Pirate fest website. No playing hide and go seek and waiting in line for two hours to get a coveted Cale Iorg auto. The actually announcw when and where the players will be signing (INDOORS, BTW!!!). I have always said that I love the team but believe the organization is arrogant, greedy, and dismissive. I have already decided to only see them play on the road. Tiger Fest was going to be our one planned trip down to CoPa.

It's not even next year, and they have managed to start things off with the usual whimper. Sad, sad, sad...

alwaysthrowheat is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by TigerFan2490 View Post
    The scoreboard should be moved to CF and the fountain moved to the scrapheap. The green fuzz covering CF is embarassing. What purpose do the fountains serve? When should we expext them to come on??? HRs? Runs scored??? I do not see the entertainment value!

The big question is: Why do we delude ouselves into believing that the Tigers will not screw this up??? They are ALWAYS one of the last teams to do anything (put up a ST schedule, put tix on sale, send out season tix, announce their fain fest). Maybe they can have people stand behind the scoreboard and manually display information to the fans. Now, there's an idea! They need to look at other teams and other parks to see how to do things right. CoPa is the filthies "modern" park I've been to. Get the exalted Mr. I. to allow real Detroit restaurants to sell their food. Fake Chinese, Mexican and Lil Seizures pizza??? Is ther no better representation of our city's cuisine than that??? Look at the Pirate fest website. No playing hide and go seek and waiting in line for two hours to get a coveted Cale Iorg auto. The actually announcw when and where the players will be signing (INDOORS, BTW!!!). I have always said that I love the team but believe the organization is arrogant, greedy, and dismissive. I have already decided to only see them play on the road. Tiger Fest was going to be our one planned trip down to CoPa.

It's not even next year, and they have managed to start things off with the usual whimper. Sad, sad, sad...
    Boom...roasted.

Gehringer_2 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Casimir View Post
    I agree with Chas, that scoreboard may be large in its totality, but for all of its girth, it is rather unimpressive with its "scoreboard" offerings outside of advertising. (I guess it's true, it isn't the size that counts.....)
    only one thing you can be sure of.:They may replace the 12 existing display panels with one large one, but the net amount of time and area dedicated to advertising during the game will only go up.
    'No Way To Prevent This, Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens

2014 AAT: WXXXy AXXXXs/Ezequiell Carrera
    2013 AAT: Javier Betancourt

Quote Originally Posted by Gehringer_2 View Post
    only one thing you can be sure of.:They may replace the 12 existing display panels with one large one, but the net amount of time and area dedicated to advertising during the game will only go up.
    Between what TigerFan2490 said and what you say, you've given me pause to wonder whether this might actually be a downgrade for fan experience.

I'm pretty sure Mike Ilitch was the one who started the ads behind home plate, in view of the camera.

Yeah, it's not a scoreboard, it's an ad board that uses bits of info to get you to look at it.

I doubt they move it to CF, does any team have it in CF? I believe they keep that bare now because of the hitter backdrop.

EatEmUpTigers711 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Oblong View Post
    I doubt they move it to CF, does any team have it in CF? I believe they keep that bare now because of the hitter backdrop.
    The Rogers Centre in Toronto, Kauffman Stadium in KC, US Cellular in Chicago, Safeco in Seattle, Citi Field in New York, Turner Field in Atlanta, Miller Park in Milwaukee, Wrigley, AT&T Park in San Fran, and Chase Field in Arizona.
    2012 Adopt-A-Tiger - Ryan Strieby
    2011 Adopt-A-Lion - #26 Louis Delmas - 51 Tackles

mmwatkin is offline MotownSports Fan

make it happen, Ilitch

DET Mr Malefic is offline MotownSports Fan

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by EppOnite View Post
    There is no appropriate dress in Michigan in January. Or February. And even parts of December and March.

---This is a recording from your local "I hate living here" representative.
    Tigers record when in attendance: 2012: 3-2 W1 Home: 1-2, Away 2-0

Tigers record when in attendance: 2011: 6-7 L5 Home: 4-5, Away 2-1, Playoffs Home: 0-1

DET Mr Malefic is offline MotownSports Fan

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by monkeynuts View Post
    I stopped going to Tigerfest when they moved it to Comerica Park. I used to go every year, but I refuse to stand outside in January on purpose. I'm actually pretty irritated that they ever moved it to Comerica, it used to be something I looked forward to in the Winter.

With regard to the renovation, I think this is well overdue and I'm very pleased that they're making the upgrade. Hopefully a big (or multiple) HD board(s) are on the way!
    Tigers record when in attendance: 2012: 3-2 W1 Home: 1-2, Away 2-0

Tigers record when in attendance: 2011: 6-7 L5 Home: 4-5, Away 2-1, Playoffs Home: 0-1

DET, I preferred it at Joe Louis too but honestly the last few times at Comerica wasn't that bad. I enjoy simply being back at the stadium. They do a nice job at tarping up the concourse to keep some of the wind out.

cruzer1 is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tigers4F4 View Post
    Never been to Comerica Park. I live in Australia.

What I would like to know is that when they built the stadium, did they make provision for future upgrades in seating? I know that Tiger Stadium had a lot more seats than Comerica. It is nice to see the city over the outfield perimeter, but could they build more bleachers and still keep some of the view of Detroit?
    No, but for good reasons. The sight lines are much better at the Copa, even though you were right on top of the action in Tiger Stadium. I think it was too close, and too many obstructions. It did not make for as enjoyable an experience there is now at the Copa. There is a lot more leg room, that's for sure.
    Where's Zimm?
    VT

Quote Originally Posted by EatEmUpTigers711 View Post
    The Rogers Centre in Toronto, Kauffman Stadium in KC, US Cellular in Chicago, Safeco in Seattle, Citi Field in New York, Turner Field in Atlanta, Miller Park in Milwaukee, Wrigley, AT&T Park in San Fran, and Chase Field in Arizona.
    When I went to Miller Park this year, I wondered whether the new huge HD scoreboard would bother the hitter, but I concluded two things: (1) the bill on the helmet blocks the view of the board while the hitter is looking in to the pitcher; and (2) if it really were a problem for the hitter, it definitely would have come up immediately.

DTroppens is offline MotownSports Fan

Just as long as the scoreboard keeps showing how many sacrifice flies a batter has (with no one on base), I'm okay with any scoreboard renovations.
    "Only Lions fans can predict a victory when their starting quarterback has a broken arm." -unknown

"I'm going to go the Pistons' game tonight and watch Sheed jack up threes." -unknown

dadair6 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by DTroppens View Post
    Just as long as the scoreboard keeps showing how many sacrifice flies a batter has (with no one on base), I'm okay with any scoreboard renovations.
    And can we please get the ridiculous, cherry-picked stats to stop? It's embarassing to see that a guy hits .091 on Tuesdays when a left-handed second baseman has eaten spaghetti for lunch. All the other ballparks I've gone to have legitimare stats or fun facts about the Tiger players. It seems petty that the Tigers won't do that. The casual fan doesn't follow baseball every day and might like to know that the visiting batter is having a good year.
    "This is Michigan, for god's sake!"
    -Brady Hoke

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast