guy incognito is offline MotownSports Fan

Default MLB.com: Saturday's game could be televised after all

Saturday’s game could be televised after all « Beck's Blog

When the Tigers released their TV schedule for this season over the winter, they had 161 games slated to air between Fox Sports Detroit, Fox national network and ESPN. The lone game not scheduled for broadcast at that point was a Saturday afternoon game in Oakland that fell within the FOX national window for exclusive broadcasts.

Oh, if anybody could’ve imagined then how much might ride on that game now. Depending on how the next few days unfold, it could potentially be a clinching game for the Tigers to wrap up their first division title in 24 years. With those implications now abundantly clear, it could end up on the air after all.

“The possibility still exists,” Tigers vice president of communications Ron Colangelo said Tuesday.

Tim Bryant, director of media relations for Fox Sports Detroit, said much the same thing.

“Needless to say, it’s on the radar of us and the Tigers,” Bryant wrote in an email Tuesday.

The FOX blackout doesn’t come up very often with the Tigers, who have had a fair number of Saturday games on the network as a regional broadcast this summer. When FOX has its games on the air Saturday, no other games can be broadcast in that same three-hour window. That’s why you see a lot of teams scheduling 1:05pm games when FOX has games slated for 4:05 or, earlier in the year, 7:05. It’s also why the Tigers ended up not having a mid-May game in Pittsburgh on the air when the Pirates chose a 7:05 start time.

For a Sept. 17 visit from the Tigers, the A’s chose a day game — a 1:05pm start local time, or 4:05pm ET. That wasn’t going to change. FOX has three games scheduled for regional broadcasts, but Tigers-A’s isn’t one of them.

To get the game on Fox Sports Detroit, the Tigers and the network would need to get FOX to waive its exclusivity rights. If there’s a lot riding on that game, it’s a possibility. From a logistics standpoint, that would seem easier than getting a FOX crew in, since FSD will have its crew in town already.

Stay tuned. Had to figure that line would show up at some point, right?

Antrat is offline MotownSports Fan

Even if they end up clinching Sunday, I still want to see the Saturday game.
    My head starts throbbing when I think of the greed and idiocy that is behind these blackouts.
    My neighbor thinks I'm following or even stalking her, she is worried that I may be obsessed with her and any time she hears a noise in her house she is...purified? Oh, wait: petrified. Sorry, it's not easy reading a diary through binoculars from a tree.

mr0zip0 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Antrat View Post
    Even if they end up clinching Sunday, I still want to see the Saturday game.
    My head starts throbbing when I think of the greed and idiocy that is behind these blackouts.
    +1... Even if they didn't air the Tigers game, I don't plan on watching whatever game they have on FOX, I would listen to the Tigers game... It has to mean so few amount of people they add with the blackout.

cruzer1 is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

The Tigers will have it clinched by then.
    Where's Zimm?
    VT

MSUBrian11 is offline Released

I'll be watching MSU/ND, but would still like to see some of this game during halftime, commercials.

tigerfanfromchicago is offline MotownSports Fan

As if anyone would actually be watching the Cubs or Mets game they probably have scheduled if they couldn't watch the Tigers...

EDIT: Alright, it's Tampa and Boston. That one actually could be big.