TheDon is offline Released
    Blog Entries

Default Is Jim Leyland the greatest manager ever?

Im not serious obviously. This guys is just butchering games for us in so many ways... First of all we acquired Betemit to play everyday and I sware I see Don Kelly and Ryan Raburn over there just as much a him! Hes got Magglio hitting third? Hes playing the lolly gagger Guillen whos luckily injured again. How is a man like Illitch dumb enough to extend his contract!?!?
    Whats your biggest beef with Jim?

Antrat is offline MotownSports Fan

He's old. I hate old people. They smell funny and they sometimes forget what they are saying.
    And sometimes they drool.
    That's my biggest beef.
    "I'm disabled"

Gehringer_2 is offline MotownSports Fan

All the constant carping and new threads about him clog up the bandwidth making it that much harder follow the Sizemore trade debates. That's my biggest beef.
    'No Way To Prevent This, Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens

2014 AAT: WXXXy AXXXXs/Ezequiell Carrera
    2013 AAT: Javier Betancourt

jaymo is offline MotownSports Fan

I have him ranked 113th.

tiger337 is online now MotownSports Writer

Quote Originally Posted by jaymo View Post
    I have him ranked 113th.
    I think you are underestimating the pressures of modern technology. I've got him at 106. I mean how would you like it if every time you logged onto the computer, everyone was telling you how wrong you are and how much you suck.
    Last edited by tiger337; 08-14-2011 at 06:27 PM.
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

"They can use both (old- and new-school statistics)," Cabrera said. "In 2012, we've got to take advantage of all that.

T.O. Tiger Fan is offline MotownSports Fan

Managers get too much credit when their team is winning and too much blame when their team is losing. Leyland's strengths have never been in game strategizing, his strengths are more managing the clubhouse and the player's egos.
    Avisail Garcia, OF (2013 Adopt - A - Tiger) TRADED JULY 30, 2013
    DET: G 30 | HR 2 | RBI 10 | SB 0 | BB 4 | SO 21 | BA .241 | OBP .273 | SLG .373 | OPS .646

sabretooth is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by tiger337 View Post
    I think you are underestimating the pressures of modern technology. I've got him at 106. I mean how would you like it if every time you logged onto the computer, everyone was telling you how wrong you are and how much you suck.
    You have apparently been lucky enough to avoid workplace email systems.
    Introibo ad altare Dei

2013 AAT: Jim Price

Mr. Bigglesworth is offline MotownSports Fan

Yoda is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by T.O. Tiger Fan View Post
    Managers get too much credit when their team is winning and too much blame when their team is losing. Leyland's strengths have never been in game strategizing, his strengths are more managing the clubhouse and the player's egos.
    I think it's far easier for a manager to lose a game than to win one. Their most important task is to screw up less often than other managers.
    Up above, aliens hover, making home movies for the folks back home.
    Facebook

DET Mr Malefic is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I think it's far easier for a manager to lose a game than to win one. Their most important task is to screw up less often than other managers.
    +1
    Tigers record when in attendance: 2012: 3-2 W1 Home: 1-2, Away 2-0

Tigers record when in attendance: 2011: 6-7 L5 Home: 4-5, Away 2-1, Playoffs Home: 0-1

Sports_Freak is offline MotownSports Fan

He should have listened to that 6 year old girl who tried to tell him how to set his line-up.
    Man, I wish I would have been within earshot of him talking to her. He probably would have attacked me when I told him even a six year old girl knows how to use his players better than he does.

tigerjoe is offline MotownSports Fan

If Leyland gets the blame for today's loss does he get credit for the game where a suicide squeeze turned out to be the winning run? Does he also get credit for pulling Verlander the other day and putting in Ben Wa?

Sometimes Leyland does stuff that doesnt seem to make sense but then again I don't have all the information. Maybe there's a reason for some of the stuff he does which we don't know about. He's not the best manager in history but he's not nearly as bad as some people seem to think.

DrWho17 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by tigerjoe View Post
    If Leyland gets the blame for today's loss does he get credit for the game where a suicide squeeze turned out to be the winning run? Does he also get credit for pulling Verlander the other day and putting in Ben Wa?
    The squeeze was a dumb move at that point in the game, it effictively killed what could have been a larger rally.

Sometimes Leyland does stuff that doesnt seem to make sense but then again I don't have all the information. Maybe there's a reason for some of the stuff he does which we don't know about. He's not the best manager in history but he's not nearly as bad as some people seem to think.
    What irritates me is his lineup strategy, he rest guys en masse a lot or at odd times. He gives away games this way, it's not something that is easily measurable, but he throws some terrible lineups out there at times.

tigerjoe is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by DrWho17 View Post
    The squeeze was a dumb move at that point in the game, it effictively killed what could have been a larger rally.
    Or it could have been another case of the Tigers threatening but not scoring which happens. And at the end of the day it was the winning run.

What irritates me is his lineup strategy, he rest guys en masse a lot or at odd times. He gives away games this way, it's not something that is easily measurable, but he throws some terrible lineups out there at times.
    It does make me wonder sometimes too but like I said we don't have all the information about why he rests guys when he does. I'm not saying never question his lineups because sometimes I look at them and say wtf? But some people, not necessarly you, act like Leyland totally sucks and is completely clueless. Like I said he's not the best manager in the world but he's not horrible either although like you say sometimes his lineup choices don't seem to make much sense. Maybe if we had more info, they would make more sense.

kdog is offline MotownSports Fan

Peralta is the anomaly. He is their only core player that gets this much rest. I don't think you can blame it solely on Leyland when he rarely rests Cabrera, Boesch, Martinez, and Avila if those guys are healthy.

Truth is offline MotownSports Fan

I think it's far easier for the manager with a better team to win a game than to lose a game.

Titus Tiger is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

He is clearly the best coach/manager for the Tigers since 2006.. with out dou bt

http://is.gd/lZwA
    2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 & 2014 ATT Paws
    Welcome to
    ......what-if-sville

berneree is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Titus Tiger View Post
    He is clearly the best coach/manager for the Tigers since 2006.. with out dou bt

Leyland sucks. If he would know anything about sabermetrics....he would know that the Tigers are 59-0 when leading after 7 innings. So if your going to give a player the day off.....do it "after the 7th inning". Also....that the Tigers are 35-0 when Valverde enters in a save situation. So if the Tigers are winning 1-0 after 1-inning....then bring Valverde in to close it out.

What a moran!
    Michigan Football - Dominating the recruitment of 3* Smurfs from 2008-2010

Yoda is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Truth View Post
    I think it's far easier for the manager with a better team to win a game than to lose a game.
    That's exactly what I was saying. Managers can't make a team win as easily as they can make one lose.
    Up above, aliens hover, making home movies for the folks back home.
    Facebook

Truth is offline MotownSports Fan

That's exactly what I was saying. Managers can't make a team win as easily as they can make one lose.
    After messing around with a computer problem for several hours I'm very happy to have found an agreement somewhere

Beantown Marty is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by berneree View Post
    Leyland sucks. If he would know anything about sabermetrics....he would know that the Tigers are 59-0 when leading after 7 innings. So if your going to give a player the day off.....do it "after the 7th inning". Also....that the Tigers are 35-0 when Valverde enters in a save situation. So if the Tigers are winning 1-0 after 1-inning....then bring Valverde in to close it out.

What a moran!
    This guy gets it. ^^^
    I'm a little verklempt. Talk amongst yourselves. I'll give you a topic. Range Factor is neither about a fielder's range, nor should it be much of a factor when discussing fielding prowess. Discuss.

byco42 is offline MotownSports Fan

I'm reasonably certain that the next Tigers' manager will come under the same scrutiny as Leyland.
    The team, the team, the team!

will the thrill is offline MotownSports Fan

if you're a White SOx, Indians or Twins fan, he's an awesome manager
    Put me on record. Prince Fielder will still OPS 850+ in years 7-8-9 of this contract. (sucks that my signature has to stay this for 7 years now)