Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    ROMAD1 is offline MotownSports Fan

He seems a bit miffed

Lynn G. Henning
    ‏ @Lynn_Henning
    Follow
    Frankly, we've all been wondering what's with Leyland. We can handle it, but when it's obvious during TV interviews, he's hurting himself.
    Twitter

sagnam is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Antrat View Post
    Imagine if Jim had to put up with the NY or Boston media blitz everyday.
    He should be thankful that he gets to eat while giving pressers here.
    Just because Boston and NY are full of douche bag reporters doesn't mean that should be the measuring stick.
    AAL: Ndamukong Suh | AAW: Nicklas Lidström | AAT: Jesus Ustariz

Gehringer_2 is offline MotownSports Fan

I think he just gets POd at Trevor Thompson. I know Fox probably has some contractual right to the first question or something, but a couple of nights recently after giving Trevor 3 or 4 he seemed to be trying to answer someone else's question and Trevor cut him off repeatedly and it looked like Jim didn't like that at all. Not to mention Trevor asks stupid questions.
    You argue with the umpire because there is nothing else you can do about it. - Leo Durocher

2014 AAT: Willy Adames
    2013 AAT: Javier Betancourt

Been following his twitter feed for a while...get the idea that he lives an alternative lifestyle from some of the things he follows.
    'Whatever happens, we have got
    The Maxim Gun, and they have not.

rhino is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by ROMAD1 View Post
    Been following his twitter feed for a while...get the idea that he lives an alternative lifestyle from some of the things he follows.
    Don't care what he does in his free time. If he can throw 100mph were drafting him- Dave Dombrowski
    "If he could have, Guillen would've tried to steal Weaver's girl, scratched Weaver's car, stolen Weaver's lunch and if he had access to a metal folding chair he probably would have tried to hit Weaver with it." -Joe Posnanski

2008 & 2009 AAT: Mike Hessman; 2010 Cory Costo; 2011 Danny Worth

tigermojo is offline MotownSports Fan

I see sports and wine.

yeah, its probably nothing

Yoda is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Lynn G. Henning ‏@Lynn_Henning
    Tigers are set on Bruce Rondon as their 2013 closer. Here's why it SHOULD work out. Detroit News column, just posted. Tigers can roll dice with Bruce Rondon and his 100 mph-plus fastball | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but DD has never said that Rondon is the closer for 2013, just that they would be "comfortable" with it, which is typical non-committal DD speak, and that they'll give him a chance to earn the job.

Even in the article he suggests it's a done deal. This is exactly what I can't stand about Henning. Really nice guy, brings attention to the minor leagues, but his writing style just irks me.

Still, the Tigers are convinced Rondon can handle it.
    This is just completely made up as far as I can tell. Did I miss something this offseason where they officially made him the closer?
    Last edited by Yoda; 12-03-2012 at 01:34 PM.
    Up above, aliens hover, making home movies for the folks back home.
    Facebook

chasfh is offline MotownSports Fan

Just asking the question here, because I don't read enough (i.e., any) Henning to know: is there any chance the Tigers use him to put stuff out there they can't say themselves?
    If there's a God, He is laughing at us and our football team.

Blog Entries

No because he's wrong quite often. DD saying he's "comfortable" with Rondon is just a likely a ploy to drive up his trade value or a way to keep Borras from driving up the price on Soriano.
    Facebook

catswithbats is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chasfh View Post
    Just asking the question here, because I don't read enough (i.e., any) Henning to know: is there any chance the Tigers use him to put stuff out there they can't say themselves?
    I was under the impression Henning often throws stuff at the wall to see if it'll stick.
    Adopt-a-Tiger 2014: José Ortega

Walkoff Woodward | Cats With Bats | walkoffwoodward | catswithbats

Mr. Bigglesworth is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by catswithbats View Post
    I was under the impression Henning often throws stuff at the wall to see if it'll stick.
    I've always suspected he had some inside info prior to the Granderson deal. I don't doubt he has some contacts within the organization, and it wouldn't surprise me if they give him some inside stuff periodically.

alwaysthrowheat is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn Henning View Post
    Still, the Tigers are convinced Rondon can handle it.

He talked with DD earlier in the offseason. Maybe that was his opinion.

A.J.K. is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Gehringer_2 View Post
    I think he just gets POd at Trevor Thompson. I know Fox probably has some contractual right to the first question or something, but a couple of nights recently after giving Trevor 3 or 4 he seemed to be trying to answer someone else's question and Trevor cut him off repeatedly and it looked like Jim didn't like that at all. Not to mention Trevor asks stupid questions.

Leyland definitely doesn't like Trevor Thompson, or Ryan Field. He does little to hide his disdain. It makes sense, because they both ask idiotic questions.
    2014 AAT: Luke Putkonen
    2013 AAT: Darin Downs
    All-time AAT: Jim Walewander

Oblong is offline MotownSports Fan

I don't see the big deal with the quote. DD won't admit that the sun will come up tomorrow "All indications are that it will, we'll see..." so his statements with regard to Rondon tell me that the guy will have to stink it up or get injured in spring training to NOT be the closer. Henning is just interpreting DD speak to reality.

socaltiger is offline MotownSports Fan

I think Henning is fine. At least he offers opinion and something interesting right or wrong.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by socaltiger View Post
    I think Henning is fine. At least he offers opinion and something interesting right or wrong.
    But he doesn't state it as opinion. I'm cool with opinions too. He takes an open-ended quote and states it as fact. That's where I have a problem. He's leading people to believe that Rondon will in fact be the closer next year and it probably isn't a sure thing yet. I just think it's irresponsible of him.
    Facebook

tiger337 is offline MotownSports Writer

I actually don't care that much about a sports columnist's opinion. I get opinions from blogs and message boards. When I read a columnist or beat writer, I'm generally looking for some inside information.
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

"They can use both (old- and new-school statistics)," Cabrera said. "In 2012, we've got to take advantage of all that.

Quote Originally Posted by A.J.K. View Post
    Leyland definitely doesn't like Trevor Thompson, or Ryan Field. He does little to hide his disdain. It makes sense, because they both ask idiotic questions.
    this topic came up at work in another form...I notice that Shannon Hogan gets the soft treatment from Leyland. I also notice that the mid-40s female with the nice body/cute face and sultry voice who works as a PM for one of the vendors has all the government managers hanging on her every word despite the fact that they know they can't give her any money and despite the fact that I know all these managers would never even consider cheating on their spouses...just because biology and culture hands a certain women soft skills.

Quote Originally Posted by tiger337 View Post
    I actually don't care that much about a sports columnist's opinion. I get opinions from blogs and message boards. When I read a columnist or beat writer, I'm generally looking for some inside information.
    His analysis is worth something...he's closer to the sources of information than I am. I think he does do some constructs that make sense to him but never come to pass. He seems to latch onto some player and thinks the Tigers should use them more (see Worth this offseason).

NeedMoreLike84 is offline Released

I don't understand the anger towards Henning. he seems like a passionate fan and a nice man and he is a solid, if unspectacular writer.

His analysis is worth something...he's closer to the sources of information than I am..
    I agree with that. The problem is he does not differentiate between sourced info and fan-like opinion. I think he does that on purpose for style, but it's frustrating. Other than that, I don't dislike Henning. He is one of the few Detroit writers that shows any passion for the games and he is also responsive to readers.

I stand by my comment that columnists who simply give opinions are not worth reading, when there are blogs and message boards where people do the same thing. The value of newspaper writers is their close link to the team. If they do not use that link, they are no different than any of us.
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

"They can use both (old- and new-school statistics)," Cabrera said. "In 2012, we've got to take advantage of all that.

IdahoBert is offline MotownSports Fan

Henning tries harder to interject some more advanced statistical analysis of the game into his articles than other writers. He really is responsive to fans too, as Lee has pointed out. He can't just pander to the 'super-fan' that already knows it all, and I think it's unfair for 'super-fans' to think he''s dumb when he writes for a readership that doesn't already know everything under the sun there is to know. He sometimes seems to go off half-cocked when he gets a bee in his bonnet, but I sort of find that a humanizing trait. I wish he would not tweet his political opinions. I am uninterested in that. He doesn't do it often but I wish he'd never do it.
    "If you want a guarantee, buy a toaster."--Clint Eastwood

2014 Adopt A Tiger: Aníbal Sánchez, RSP

Oblong is offline MotownSports Fan

In the age of twitter one way I judge a writer is when they retweet criticisms or otherwise funny things said to them.

His political views are at odds with mine...so yeah...don't go going all Bob Costas on us, Lynn

hueytaxi is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Oblong View Post
    In the age of twitter one way I judge a writer is when they retweet criticisms or otherwise funny things said to them.
    I bet you'll get a kick out of the Pope now
    Live your life for what it can be and not for what it was.

MMXIV AAT: KYLE RYAN
    VT

hueytaxi is offline MotownSports Fan

I often watch Henning walk on and off the fields at spring training talking to staff members. I'm sure at times he is a tool as well as often knowing info others might not have yet.
    Live your life for what it can be and not for what it was.

MMXIV AAT: KYLE RYAN
    VT

I was actually enjoying the part about Kirk Gibson in 1983 as a comp to Prince Fielder's 2013.

Tigers need minor tweaks, mean streak for run at '14 title | The Detroit News

Can any of the slightly older wiser heads give me the background on Gibby's 1983 troubles? Was he just a prima-donna or was there some issue similar to Prince's divorce?

I'm not sure I can see Prince turning into the force that Gibson was in 1984...but that would be most welcome.

Charlie1 is offline MotownSports Fan

I remember there were problems with him swearing at kids who asked for his autograph.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie1 View Post
    I remember there were problems with him swearing at kids who asked for his autograph.
    Who? Lynn Henning?
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

Blog Entries

Lynn was going tweeting on and on earlier today about how the Tigers should keep Coke, due entirely to his last two outings. Sound logic there, Lynn.
    Facebook

Brad Ausmus would offer stark departure from previous Tigers managers | The Detroit News

He is also Jewish, which will stoke a sense of kinship between Ausmus and the Tigers’ deep Jewish audience. In that context, there has been something of a void in the Tigers’ profile dating to the end of Hank Greenberg’s hallowed years in Detroit.

From The Detroit News: Brad Ausmus would offer stark departure from previous Tigers managers | The Detroit News
    Um, Lynn

(wow, is she the hotness or what?)

she's not alone

There are over 450,000 Muslims in Michigan and 80,000 Jews. I love my friends of both creeds but, lets not get this twisted. If you wanted to write about someone's ethnicity being a factor in a decision to hire, it would make more sense to cater to that by hiring Legendary Lloyd. There are 1.4m African Americans in Michigan. Not that anyone presume enmity between Muslims and Jews...(cough, cough)
    Last edited by ROMAD1; 11-03-2013 at 09:56 AM.

Gehringer_2 is offline MotownSports Fan

Brad Ausmus would offer stark departure from previous Tigers managers | The Detroit News

Um, Lynn

There are over 450,000 Muslims in Michigan and 80,000 Jews. I love my friends of both creeds but, lets not get this twisted. If you wanted to write about someone's ethnicity being a factor in a decision to hire, it would make more sense to cater to that by hiring Legendary Lloyd. There are 1.4m African Americans in Michigan. Not that anyone presume enmity between Muslims and Jews...(cough, cough)

Either Henning meant to be tongue in cheek or he is more the moron than any of us had previously fathomed.
    You argue with the umpire because there is nothing else you can do about it. - Leo Durocher

2014 AAT: Willy Adames
    2013 AAT: Javier Betancourt

Quote Originally Posted by Gehringer_2 View Post
    Either Henning meant to be tongue in cheek or he is more the moron than any of us had previously fathomed.
    It's meant maybe as a nod to the subject. But came across as clumsy. But here is hoping he's as successful as Disreali, Ben Gurion, and Arial Sharon. And any other successful Jewish leaders I can think of while I get my haircut.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123