Page 21 of 30 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast
    zimm is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by JonBenke View Post
    No, I was the one that brought up Jonathan Sanchez, thank you!
    i'm sorry.

i hope you did not spend months working on identifying him as a trade target!

if so, please go off on uncle sam.
    Evil

Originally Posted by CASPER WELLS:
    Don't make me come out to Ferndale and whip your ***, boy.

keystone is offline MotownSports Fan

This should heat up the discussions
    Jair Jurrjens anyone?

Will Braves trade Jurrjens to strengthen outfield? | Jeff Schultz
    It is remarkable how much a pinch of malice enhances the power of an idea or an opinion. Our ears, it seems, are wonderfully attuned to sneers and evil reports about our fellow men. - Eric Hoffer

ballmich is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by keystone View Post
    Jair Jurrjens anyone?

I don't think we have the firepower to pull off such a trade, so we're probably safe from any heated discussion on this topic.
    Manus haec inimica tyrannis ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.

DaYooperASBDT is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Resign Ordonez and ship him to Atlanta?
    2014 Adopt A Tiger: Casey Crosby
    These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... Morons.
    VT

Los Gatos is offline MotownSports Fan

When conceiving trades with the Giants, consider Sabean's MO. He generally doesn't trade for prospects; he trades for veterans. Their core is the front four in their rotation plus Posey. They're riding high right now and I can't see them breaking that core up, especially for prospects. It's more likely that they'll continue piecing scrap heap signings (Huff, Burrell, Ross, JGuillen) with prospect-for-veteran trades (FSanchez) to support the core.

I love speculating and would welcome JSanchez on the Tigers, but I don't see it happening from an SF needs or historical strategy standpoint. In the unlikely event the Giants were to trade him this winter, I think it would be for an established veteran.

Quote Originally Posted by keystone View Post
    Jair Jurrjens anyone?

We need to strengthen our own outfield. AJ would probably have to be included in any Tiger OF-for-JJ talks, and I wouldn't go anywhere near that.

JonBenke is offline Released

Quote Originally Posted by ballmich View Post
    I don't think we have the firepower to pull off such a trade...
    Yea, cause it'll take a boatload to acquire an often injured, slightly above average - NL starter, who's always injured.

sabretooth is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by JonBenke View Post
    Yea, cause it'll take a boatload to acquire an often injured, slightly above average - NL starter, who's always injured.

I love you man
    Introibo ad altare Dei

2013 AAT: Jim Price

TheCouga is offline MotownSports Fan

ITT: We propose that the Tigers sign a bunch of over-the-hill, overpriced free agents for which we will, in two years, blame Dombrowski for sinking the team's payroll into injured, declining veterans.
    Distribution of wealth is not in any way democratic. It is, in fact, tyrannical, in that a very select few own almost all of it, while most have little to no access. To have a country that prioritizes wealth over individual rights is the antithesis of democracy.

Uncle sam is offline Released
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sabretooth View Post
    I love you man
    I love him more 0=

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DaYooperASBDT View Post
    Thoughts:

1. Sizemore looked much healthier and September, and hit well. The job is still his to lose next ST.

2. I would think that the Giants would move Jonathan Sanchez in a heartbeat, and possibly add another useful player (Affeldt?), if you offered Jacob Turner + Ryan Streiby.

3. Aubrey Huff can kiss my ***

4. Wonder is Jesus Guzman is moveable? He plays 3B and has hit .321 the past 2 years in the minors.
    As if if trade Turner for Sanchez.. Even if another player was involved, strieby is trash, take him

Blog Entries

I want Jurrjens back!

EchO is offline MotownSports Fan

Thoughts:

1. Sizemore looked much healthier and September, and hit well. The job is still his to lose next ST.

2. I would think that the Giants would move Jonathan Sanchez in a heartbeat, and possibly add another useful player (Affeldt?), if you offered Jacob Turner + Ryan Streiby.

3. Aubrey Huff can kiss my ***

4. Wonder is Jesus Guzman is moveable? He plays 3B and has hit .321 the past 2 years in the minors.
    I'm not sure about #2...I think you may be undervaluing Sanchez. I would trade Turner for Sanchez straight up.

baseball3 is offline MotownSports Fan

Rhymes > Sizemore
    NO Inge please, sign Adrian Beltre
    Platoon in the OF: Raburn/Wells (RH) Boesch/Thomas (LH)
    Resign Jhonny @ ss
    Go after a #2/#3 starter (of your choice)
    Let's win the Central in 2011 !

Gehringer_2 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by baseball3 View Post
    Rhymes > Sizemore
    NO Inge please, sign Adrian Beltre
    Platoon in the OF: Raburn/Wells (RH) Boesch/Thomas (LH)
    Resign Jhonny @ ss
    Go after a #2/#3 starter (of your choice)
    Let's win the Central in 2011 !
    I'm really looking forward to seeing what Thomas brings to ST. With a slew of injuries behind him will he finally hit some kind of stride? Will he end up injured again and prove his brittleness, or will he just turn out to be a flash who fizzled and fade into oblivion.
    Last edited by Gehringer_2; 10-14-2010 at 11:43 PM.
    "Well that's it - you see what you want to see and you hear what you want to hear" - Rock Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by EchO View Post
    I'm not sure about #2...I think you may be undervaluing Sanchez. I would trade Turner for Sanchez straight up.
    Sanchez is good, a great # 3 starter for sure, but he's not worth Turner, even straight up.

Blog Entries

I miss clete thomas ):

C03BRA is offline MotownSports Fan

what happened to sportz4life? What did he get the boot for?

always enjoyed his posts...

Bondo is offline MotownSports Fan

No way in hell. Turner for Sanchez? Sanchez would be Matt Garza with more walks in the AL. Not going to trade a guy like Turner for him. Oliver would be even pushing it, let alone Turner.
    2009 Adopt-A-Tiger: Jade Todd

DaYooperASBDT is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by C03BRA View Post
    what happened to sportz4life? What did he get the boot for?

always enjoyed his posts...
    Enjoyed many of his posts, but he continued to be abusive and condescending on a regular basis. Bummer, but I understand it completely.
    2014 Adopt A Tiger: Casey Crosby
    These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... Morons.
    VT

Blog Entries

Sportz is gone? Wow.. He and I might not have agreed on some things, but I liked him );

Quote Originally Posted by Bondo View Post
    No way in hell. Turner for Sanchez? Sanchez would be Matt Garza with more walks in the AL. Not going to trade a guy like Turner for him. Oliver would be even pushing it, let alone Turner.
    Okay, well this is clearly a difference in opinion then.

I place slightly more value on proven pitchers who can strike out more than a batter an inning, eat innings, is left handed, and doesn't give up many hits or home runs than unproven talent.

I don't think Oliver has done anything to prove he will be a better pitcher than Sanchez already is. I think Turner has a chance to be a great pitcher, but he is an unproven commodity.

Say what you want about the NL, but the Braves are a decent team even with the injuries and Sanchez carved them up. He gave up two hits over 7.1 (striking out 11), he was only charged a run because Romo couldn't strand the runner on first in the eight. He only faced the pitcher twice (Hudson struck out once and singled once...the only hit before the eight) so its not like he is just abusing the pitcher.

Blog Entries

Enjoyed many of his posts, but he continued to be abusive and condescending on a regular basis. Bummer, but I understand it completely.
    I suppose, what did he do that was so obscene he was perma banned? Ill miss him ):, R.I.P. Sportz4life

Blog Entries

Okay, well this is clearly a difference in opinion then.

I place slightly more value on proven pitchers who can strike out more than a batter an inning, eat innings, is left handed, and doesn't give up many hits or home runs than unproven talent.

I don't think Oliver has done anything to prove he will be a better pitcher than Sanchez already is. I think Turner has a chance to be a great pitcher, but he is an unproven commodity.

Say what you want about the NL, but the Braves are a decent team even with the injuries and Sanchez carved them up. He gave up two hits over 7.1 (striking out 11), he was only charged a run because Romo couldn't strand the runner on first in the eight. He only faced the pitcher twice (Hudson struck out once and singled once...the only hit before the eight) so its not like he is just abusing the pitcher.
    He has a had a great year, but the Giants have a lot of pitching, for say Oliver and Rayburn I think we could nab him

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle sam View Post
    He has a had a great year, but the Giants have a lot of pitching, for say Oliver and Rayburn I think we could nab him
    Sanchez is of (roughly) the same quality as Scherzer...would you trade Scherzer for Oliver and Raburn?

Just because you give up two mediocre players doesn't mean you can get one good player.
    Last edited by EchO; 10-15-2010 at 12:41 AM.

Blog Entries

Sanchez is of (roughly) the same quality as Scherzer...would you trade Scherzer for Oliver and Raburn?

Just because you give up two mediocre players doesn't mean you can get one good player.
    Oliver is a good prospect and Rayburns a good player ( Yea id go that far ). First of all, you way over rate Sanchez, yea he's great but not worth Friggin Jacob Turner. He has had an ERA over 4 in every season of his carreer before this one and he's 28. The giants have a lot of pitching depth, but they need offense and Rayburns a good hitter, and then we put the cherry on top with Oliver. And don't even compare him to Max Sherzer, I don't care if Sanchez did have better stats this year they are on another level.

Oliver is a good prospect and Rayburns a good player ( Yea id go that far ). First of all, you way over rate Sanchez, yea he's great but not worth Friggin Jacob Turner. He has had an ERA over 4 in every season of his carreer before this one and he's 28. The giants have a lot of pitching depth, but they need offense and Rayburns a good hitter, and then we put the cherry on top with Oliver. And don't even compare him to Max Sherzer, I don't care if Sanchez did have better stats this year they are on another level.
    It's Raburn.

And Raburn isn't even a starter on a team that is looking for OF help and Raburn is 29 turning 30. And what makes you think Scherzer is on another level? Because you have seen Scherzer pitch and you haven't seen Sanchez? Give me one reason why they are on "another level?"

And I would NEVER trade Scherzer for Oliver and Raburn...
    Last edited by EchO; 10-15-2010 at 12:55 AM.

Blog Entries

It's Raburn.

And Raburn isn't even a starter on a team that is looking for OF help and Raburn is 29 turning 30. And what makes you think Scherzer is on another level? Because you have seen Scherzer pitch and you haven't seen Sanchez? Give me one reason why they are on "another level?"

And I would NEVER trade Scherzer for Oliver and Raburn...
    I have watched a lot of video of Sanchez, Sherzer is a much better pitcher, he has bettter stuff, is younger and walks a lot less people than Sanchez. You watch Sherzer and you can tell he's something very special, Sanchez is good but at 29 next year and only haveing one sub 4 ERA season you can't say he's better than Sherzer.

hueytaxi is offline MotownSports Fan

I'm sure the Mods also cautioned one or two more before the release. There was some heated discussion in that thread and I normally don't even go there. Still, I didn't see it coming.
    Live your life for what it can be and not for what it was.

MMXIV AAT: KYLE RYAN; MMXV AAT: TBD
    VT

Blog Entries

Give me three ways Sanchez is as good or better than Sherzer

Eric Cioe is offline MotownSports Fan

If you ask me, and no one did, the board's been a bit too liberal in this case in their release policy. Sportz was a known quantity. He was a condescending jerk to a lot of posters, but usually the ones who deserve to be condescended. He was a longtime member whose behavior was pretty much the same from the time I got here in 2007. And yet he was tolerated all that time because at heart he was a valuable member of our community, the town jerk to lots of people but exceedingly pleasant to at least a few of us. I always appreciated his insights and when he went too far in being a jerk towards me I checked him, and that was that. To me sportz was an MTS institution who should have never been released. He provided far too much good insight and conversation with those who were willing to call him out on being a jerk to let him go because a few of his victims couldn't defend themselves. The place might be friendlier with him gone but it's certainly poorer. Just in post volume he must have been a top 15 or so user, and to get rid of that after allowing similar behavior for at least a few years seems silly.

EDIT - In short I'm going to miss the gruff old bastard because I often found his posts worthwhile and because I don't think he presented any real threat.
    "I can't say I'm pleased to see you and warn you I may have to do something about it." Knut Hamsun

I have watched a lot of video of Sanchez, Sherzer is a much better pitcher, he has bettter stuff, is younger and walks a lot less people than Sanchez. You watch Sherzer and you can tell he's something very special, Sanchez is good but at 29 next year and only haveing one sub 4 ERA season you can't say he's better than Sherzer.
    Sherzer
    bettter
    less people
    Sherzer
    haveing
    Sherzer

For ****'s sake, Sam, it's Scherzer, with a C.

EDIT - I agree with your point but if your grammar and spelling continues to be this poor I'm going to have to change my position just on principle.
    "I can't say I'm pleased to see you and warn you I may have to do something about it." Knut Hamsun

It's Scherzer.

Sanchez walks one more batter per nine, and strikes out one more batter per nine. Even with the increase in walks the WHIP is actually lower. I still don't see how they are on a different level...I admittedly have only seen Sanchez in a few games via MLB.tv and the playoffs, but he looks just as electric as Scherzer, so I'm not sure what you are seeing differently.

Age is a factor, but even taking that into consideration I would still never trade a player of Sanchez or Scherzer's caliber for Raburn and Oliver...imo, I think you are over valuing those players.

Give me three ways Sanchez is as good or better than Sherzer
    He is left-handed.

Throughout his career he has been able to strike out more per nine.

Edit: He has pitched as well as Scherzer (statistically) every year...
    Last edited by EchO; 10-15-2010 at 01:18 AM.

Blog Entries

IMO you are over valueing Sanchez. I mean for gods sakes he's the giants third starter! Its not like we are talking Matt Cain or Lincecum, there's no way if we trade for Sanchez we give them Turner. Oliver yes, but not in a million years Jacob Turner, he's projected to be a # 1 type pitcher.

IMO you are over valueing Sanchez. I mean for gods sakes he's the giants third starter! Its not like we are talking Matt Cain or Lincecum, there's no way if we trade for Sanchez we give them Turner. Oliver yes, but not in a million years Jacob Turner, he's projected to be a # 1 type pitcher.
    So was Andrew Miller. He was a can't miss prospect...the #10 prospect in all of baseball.

Point being, Sanchez is a very quality pitcher who is only the Giant's #3 pitcher because they have a perennial Cy-Young award winner as a #1, and an all-star quality pitcher who has been dominate as the #2. I don't fault Sanchez because he is behind two phenomenal pitchers...

Blog Entries

He is left-handed.

Throughout his career he has been able to strike out more per nine.

He has proven that he can pitch exceedingly well in big games.
    1. Throwing arm is nearly irrelivant in compareing two pitchers and how food they are

2. I agree that's big

3. Big games? Like when, this is hist first postt season, that's where the big games are

1. Throwing arm is nearly irrelivant in compareing two pitchers and how food they are

2. I agree that's big

3. Big games? Like when, this is hist first postt season, that's where the big games are
    irrelivant
    compareing
    food
    hist
    postt

Sam, helpful tip for you: if you add "-ing" to the end of a word that has an "-e" ending already, you generally take the "-e" ending and replace it with the "-ing" ending, not add the one to the other.

This tip will help you at the Reeths Puffer school you so obviously go to.

He's their 3rd starter BECAUSE they have Cain and Lincecum. Look at Sanchez's progression over the past 3 years. Look at his 2010 performance. Look at Sabean's track record of trading prospects for veterans, not the other way around. Oliver won't interest him because he's a prospect, and I'm sure he feels he can grab comparable production to Raburn for nothing (like Burrell this year).

2. I agree that's big

After I posted that, I realized #3 was a poor reason, I have sense edited it.

Page 21 of 30 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast