Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    wockenfussy is offline MotownSports Fan

Default The Future of Brennan Boesch

What does Brennan Boesch's future hold in Detroit? It's easy to get excited over his first 30 AB's, but we all know such a small sample size is relatively meaningless.

Clearly he can hit the ball. I like the quote from one of his minor league managers who said "When Brennan hits the ball he hits it hard. And it stays hit for a very long time". Or something like that.

Guillen will eventually return from his injury. What happens then? (resist the obvious jokes about Guillen getting injured stepping into the batters box his first AB after returning). Next year Damon will be off the books. Maggs might be too, though that's less certain.

What is Boesch's future here?

Eric Cioe is offline MotownSports Fan

Not much if he gets on base at a .300 clip. He's got some nice tools but his offensive game is as shot through with holes as his swing is.

EDIT - I don't care how much power you have, a .300 OBP is not acceptable unless you're a defensive whiz at a premium position. Boesch is Mike Jacobs until he learns to control the strikezone. If he can do that, even to the tune of a league average OBP, then there might be the sort of lefty bat the Tigers have been looking for. But at .300 OBP, he's a bench bat.
    Last edited by Eric Cioe; 05-04-2010 at 05:36 PM.
    "I can't say I'm pleased to see you and warn you I may have to do something about it." Knut Hamsun

Shelton is online now MotownSports Fan

Maggs will be back next year. Guillen may not be. Damon probably stays on. I would probably plan on having a single of spot available for next year.
    AAT: Ian Kinsler

wockenfussy is offline MotownSports Fan

Guillen is owed a pile of money in 2011, so he'll probably be back, unless we can find a taker for him. I don't consider it likely. Though somebody took Nate.

Who is the Drizzle? is online now MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cioe View Post
    Not much if he gets on base at a .300 clip. He's got some nice tools but his offensive game is as shot through with holes as his swing is.

EDIT - I don't care how much power you have, a .300 OBP is not acceptable unless you're a defensive whiz at a premium position. Boesch is Mike Jacobs until he learns to control the strikezone. If he can do that, even to the tune of a league average OBP, then there might be the sort of lefty bat the Tigers have been looking for. But at .300 OBP, he's a bench bat.
    He's only what, 24, so hopefully he has some improvement left in him. A .300 OBP makes it tough to be effective, but .325 plus a lot of power could be useful. About Jose Guillen useful, anyways.
    We will bankrupt ourselves in the vain search for absolute security. - DDE
    Those who take the extreme positions in American political and economic life are always wrong. - DDE

JonBenke is offline Released

Default I totally agree

Quote Originally Posted by Shelton View Post
    Maggs will be back next year. Guillen may not be. Damon probably stays on. I would probably plan on having a single of spot available for next year.
    I think Maggs vests, Damon's brought back for another year, and Guillen gets the Nate Robertson treatment, traded (with cash) after spring training.

What's the future for Boesch... I hope he has one, but I am not quick to write in his name on future lineup cards for next year (like lynn henning has).

And a little about Guillen; he is owed 13 million for this year and for next, and also has a partial no-trade clause. But with Maggs/Damon, we need them to platoon in the OF/DH, and Guillen -- with all his injuries, has shown that he can't play the field without getting hurt. Bad contract. It's really too bad, and I doubt he's here next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Illitchitimate View Post
    Guillen is owed a pile of money in 2011, so he'll probably be back, unless we can find a taker for him. I don't consider it likely. Though somebody took Nate.
    Yeah, with a pile of cash... That's what we'll end up doing with Guillen. We'll send him somewhere with a giant pile of cash, or just release him.

Either way, we're going to end up eating 26 million over the rest of this year and next.

DaYooperASBDT is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Come 2012, we may see a Boesch/Wells platoon in RF, Jackson in CF, Ramirez in LF, and Strieby at DH ?? Don't know if Raburn will still be around. Perhaps Clete could be a backup option.

Boesch sure has a quick bat - if he could learn to take a few more walks then he definitely becomes part of the OF discussion going forward.
    2014 Adopt A Tiger: Casey Crosby
    These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... Morons.
    VT

ToledoTigerFan is offline MotownSports Fan

I've been impressed with Boesch. Dude has quick hands, so he has no problem catching up with fastballs. He'll likely get better at not swinging at pitches he shouldn't. Hopefully, legendary Lloyd doesn't screw him up too much. He looks a little shaky in the outfield, but he's not brutal. He could improve his defense with work.
    2010 Adopt-A-Tiger, The GREAT Ernie Harwell
    2012 Adopt-A-Tiger, The GREAT Luke Putkonen
    2013 Adopt-A-Tiger, The GREAT Confesor Lara

Quote Originally Posted by DaYooperASBDT View Post
    Come 2012, we may see a Boesch/Wells platoon in RF, Jackson in CF, Ramirez in LF, and Strieby at DH ??
    Jackson in CF, that's all but a lock from here on out. The other three, I'd bet we'd see maybe one of those scnerios, maybe two, but I doubt all three.

I'm not that high on the trio of Wilkin/Strieby/Wells.

Boesch sure has a quick bat - if he could learn to take a few more walks then...
    I hope he gets his chance, though I'm not holding my breath.

DontGotSheed is offline MotownSports Fan

Come 2012, we may see a Boesch/Wells platoon in RF, Jackson in CF, Ramirez in LF, and Strieby at DH ?? Don't know if Raburn will still be around. Perhaps Clete could be a backup option.

Boesch sure has a quick bat - if he could learn to take a few more walks then he definitely becomes part of the OF discussion going forward.
    Is anyone else like me and thinking Wells is fading fast with Boesch playing so well in Detroit? Ramirez didn't help himself by being demoted to AA to start the year either.
    AAT: 2012~Rob Brantly 2011~Daniel Fields 2010~Alden Carrithers

irishmick79 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by ToledoTigerFan View Post
    I've been impressed with Boesch. Dude has quick hands, so he has no problem catching up with fastballs. He'll likely get better at not swinging at pitches he shouldn't. Hopefully, legendary Lloyd doesn't screw him up too much. He looks a little shaky in the outfield, but he's not brutal. He could improve his defense with work.
    I'm not sold yet....the guy's logged about 1800 AB's in the minors already over five seasons and hasn't really demonstrated plate discipline at any level. His K/BB ratio is 3.05 over those AB's. If that's what we can expect out of him, that would make him comperable to hitters like Juan Encarnacion or Jacque Jones. Guys who can be useful in the right situations because they have so much power, but overall are spare parts. If I had to predict Boesch's future right this instant, I would suggest that he might develop a useful, solid big leaguer down the road, but I doubt it will happen with the Tigers. He's got a loooong way to go with his plate discipline.
    VT
    2009 Adopt-a-Tiger draft:Zach Miner

Oblong is offline MotownSports Fan

He could be a left handed Marcus Thames for us. Get 200 AB's between DH and OF and provide power off the bench.

sportz4life is offline Released

Quote Originally Posted by Illitchitimate View Post
    Do all you trade Guillen people comprehend, they got nothing for Nate, they paid all but $450,000 of a $10,000,000 salary and recieved a low grade almost useless prospect in return. It's ridiculous to even say the traded him.

Guilen has absolutley no trade value..

NONE

sportz4life is offline Released

Brennan Boesch is the type of player that gets you in trouble, he has one skill, power.

Poor fielder, terrible plate discipline, a virtual black hole wth a bat, waiting to happen.

Now, that being said, his power is mesmerizing, his run porduction intriguing, but as most of the SABR's on the oard have discussed, it's a matter of tme before he begins to hurt you. Unless he vastly improves his plate discipline he will kill you.
    Last edited by sportz4life; 05-05-2010 at 09:05 AM.

lesgoblu02 is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sportz4life View Post
    Do all you trade Guillen people comprehend, they got nothing for Nate, they paid all but $450,000 of a $10,000,000 salary and recieved a low grade almost useless prospect in return. It's ridiculous to even say the traded him.

Guilen has absolutley no trade value..

NONE
    Nate is also a LH SP. Not a very good one, but LH SP's have about 450k worth of value, apparently.

Guillen is a defensive liability that can't stay healthy as a DH. I'm sure GM's are salivating over him.
    Every time you play a hand of you poker you wanna run through a mental check list. Head Position Hand Position Neck Position Breathing Posture. More than 25 items. It's a lot. And that why I've come up with a handy mnemonic device. Just one word: HPHPNPBPECMSPAMDCPAFTSTTL. It's easy.

oldglory1999 is offline Released

Imo, he has that "aaron boone" type of uppercut swing to him especially when he hits home runs

lesgoblu02 is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

All I know is, he hit the piss out of that ball last night.
    Every time you play a hand of you poker you wanna run through a mental check list. Head Position Hand Position Neck Position Breathing Posture. More than 25 items. It's a lot. And that why I've come up with a handy mnemonic device. Just one word: HPHPNPBPECMSPAMDCPAFTSTTL. It's easy.

irishmick79 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by sportz4life View Post
    Brennan Boesch is the type of player that gets you in trouble, he was one skill, power.

Poor fielder, terrible plate discipline, a virtual black hole wth a bat, waiting to happen.

Now, that being said, his power is mesmerizing, his run porduction intriguing, but as most of the SABR's on the oard have discussed, it's a matter of tme before he begins to hurt you. Unless he vastly improves his plate discipline he will kill you.
    Hopefully the Tigers don't get so sucked in by the power potential that they give Boesch more opportunities to be an every day player than he deserves. He's hitting the ball pretty hard right now and you have to like that, but it's still hard to see what he can sustain. I can certainly live with a left-handed version of Thames for a while, as long as the Tigers keep a clear head about his abilities and don't get sucked in by overly optimistic expectations.
    VT
    2009 Adopt-a-Tiger draft:Zach Miner

cruzer1 is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

He's been extremely aggressive, but he's made decent contact, and when he does, he is impressive. He does need to lay off bad pitches, because I notice he's getting plenty of them.
    Where's Zimm?
    VT

I don't think he's an awful fielder.
    "I can't say I'm pleased to see you and warn you I may have to do something about it." Knut Hamsun

MattD is offline Released

Quote Originally Posted by JonBenke View Post
    I think Maggs vests, Damon's brought back for another year, and Guillen gets the Nate Robertson treatment, traded (with cash) after spring training.

What's the future for Boesch... I hope he has one, but I am not quick to write in his name on future lineup cards for next year (like lynn henning has).

And a little about Guillen; he is owed 13 million for this year and for next, and also has a partial no-trade clause. But with Maggs/Damon, we need them to platoon in the OF/DH, and Guillen -- with all his injuries, has shown that he can't play the field without getting hurt. Bad contract. It's really too bad, and I doubt he's here next year.
    Yeah, with a pile of cash... That's what we'll end up doing with Guillen. We'll send him somewhere with a giant pile of cash, or just release him.

Either way, we're going to end up eating 26 million over the rest of this year and next.
    I'd tend to agree with this. I think it's likely we'll do whatever it takes to get Guillen out of here for next season, even if it means paying someone to take him. It's getting to the point where he's actually getting in the way, and that's not the case with Mags. If Damon continues to be this consistent, I'd love to see him get a 2 year extension.

Boesch has been impressive, and I have a feeling he may work out some of his issues, such as OBP, in time and with some work. He's only 24, so he has time left. If he was 28 or 29 I'd say this is as good as it gets. I just want to see him progress over the season an improve in the needed areas. The last thing we need is for him to become Chris Shelton II.

Shinzaki is offline MotownSports Fan

By 2012 we may be heralding the coming of the Age of Daniel Fields... He'll be tearing up at Erie that season, a mere phone call away from the outfield expanse that is Harwell Field at Comerica Park...

Quote Originally Posted by MattD View Post
    I'd tend to agree with this. I think it's likely we'll do whatever it takes to get Guillen out of here for next season, even if it means paying someone to take him. It's getting to the point where he's actually getting in the way, and that's not the case with Mags. If Damon continues to be this consistent, I'd love to see him get a 2 year extension.
    No, no, no, no, no, have you learned nothing from the recent history of this team? Give a two year contract to a guy who is a good baseball player right now, but is so old that by the end of it, he'll be 40? Sheffield? Come on.

I have no problem bringing Damon back, but for one year. No need to get hamstrung with two year deals to 40 year olds.

kdog is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Oblong View Post
    He could be a left handed Marcus Thames for us. Get 200 AB's between DH and OF and provide power off the bench.
    Agree with this idea. Maybe not this season but his tools do have a role on a team.

MattD is offline Released

No, no, no, no, no, have you learned nothing from the recent history of this team? Give a two year contract to a guy who is a good baseball player right now, but is so old that by the end of it, he'll be 40? Sheffield? Come on.

I have no problem bringing Damon back, but for one year. No need to get hamstrung with two year deals to 40 year olds.
    Sheffield didn't have the upside Damon has. I think he would be a good DH for this team, even for 2 additional years. He is a run producer and that doesn't grow on trees. His OBP of .440 is outstanding, and has a 16% BB rate. His EYE is 1.16. Yes, he's old and he won't hit for power all that often, but he's as good a table setter right now as there is, and we don't have anyone who can come close to these stats to replace him. And shy of a major injury, which if he's DHing we can hopefully limit, I think he's a good deal to resign.

I don't think it's fair to compare Damon to Sheffield, whose skills had been consistently eroding for 3 straight years with the Yankees before coming here, or Guillen who has major injury concerns. Damon's OBP and AVE were better the last 2 years than the 2 before that. He hasn't shown any singns of erosion. Just my take though. I see your point, I just don't agree with it.

cruzer1 is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

But he's only 36 right now. He'll be 37 in November, and would be 39 at the end of a two year deal. I think a two year deal would be enough to sway him to sign here. He brings a lot to the table just getting on base, he's not power driven value.
    Where's Zimm?
    VT

rhino is offline MotownSports Fan

I'm still not convinced Boesch isn't Eric Munson
    "If he could have, Guillen would've tried to steal Weaver's girl, scratched Weaver's car, stolen Weaver's lunch and if he had access to a metal folding chair he probably would have tried to hit Weaver with it." -Joe Posnanski

2008 & 2009 AAT: Mike Hessman; 2010 Cory Costo; 2011 Danny Worth

pyrotigers is online now MotownSports Fan

Boesch most likely scenario: He's Brent Clevlen with worse defense, and is soon banished to AAA never to be seen again

Boesch best case scenario: He's a left handed Marcus Thames who can play a little defense

Best case scenario would be a fairly useful player. If he could hit .260/.320/.500 and be adequately defensively (or something along those lines) I just don't think it's too likely.
    Kobernoooooous

Dirk Diggler is offline MotownSports Fan

I don't think he's an awful fielder.
    I haven't seen every Tiger game that he's been in, but in ST he was pretty bad. The one that really sticks out was the fly ball he took to the face, first time I'd seen that in person.....wasn't very pretty.
    Adopt-a-Tiger: 08' Lucas French, 09' Andrew Oliver 1-0 vs NCAA, 10' Daniel Fields

Adopt-a-Lion: 08' Dan Orlovsky, 09' Jeff Backus

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    I haven't seen every Tiger game that he's been in, but in ST he was pretty bad. The one that really sticks out was the fly ball he took to the face, first time I'd seen that in person.....wasn't very pretty.
    That's the problem with this. We always remember the ugly plays but never remember the thirty decent ones that follow.

I'm no different: Scott Sizemore has made two boneheaded plays that I've seen this season, and those are the only ones I remember. Other than that, I'm sure he's been steady and shown decent range and whatnot, but I couldn't tell you any specifics.

DaYooperASBDT is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

It would be tempting to give Damon two years, but he'd have to agree to basically no pay raise
    to keep enough value for the contract, IMHO.
    2014 Adopt A Tiger: Casey Crosby
    These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... Morons.
    VT

monkeytargets37 is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

trade bait

Cecil is offline Released

Quote Originally Posted by monkeytargets37 View Post
    trade bait
    I totally agree. Look no further than Matt Joyce.

baseball3 is offline MotownSports Fan

Boesch has DH written all over him..

...he'll botch the game defensively as he did last night and again today if he continues to play...

Sure, he can hit, but, DH is where he AND Billy Butler belong

TigersFan81371 is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

and Guillen gets the Nate Robertson treatment, traded (with cash) after spring training.

(snip)

Guillen -- with all his injuries, has shown that he can't play the field without getting hurt. Bad contract. It's really too bad, and I doubt he's here next year.
    I can imagine Guillen getting the Gary 'released in Spring Training' Sheffield treatment in 2011.
    @MrPaulOzzOslund Model citizen, zero discipline.
    *2014 Adopt-A-Tiger: Harold Castro.
    *All-Time Adopt-A-Tiger: Paul Carey, Bluhm Memorial Detroit Tigers HOF Inductee

TigersFan81371 is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

This.
    @MrPaulOzzOslund Model citizen, zero discipline.
    *2014 Adopt-A-Tiger: Harold Castro.
    *All-Time Adopt-A-Tiger: Paul Carey, Bluhm Memorial Detroit Tigers HOF Inductee

socaltiger is offline MotownSports Fan

I hope they play Bosch alot this year so a good determination can be made for 2011 and beyond. This is the year to form a nucleaus while trying to compete for the division. 2011 is all about winning.

PreserveAWin is offline MotownSports Fan

I think Boesch is a legit major league slugger.

DontGotSheed is offline MotownSports Fan

Honestly, whats wrong with Boesch turning out to be a left handed MArcus Thames?
    AAT: 2012~Rob Brantly 2011~Daniel Fields 2010~Alden Carrithers

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast