Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast
    caseyo4 is offline MotownSports Fan

Default Granderson now on the block too?

2012 AAT: Jose Valverde
    2011 AAT: Argenis Diaz
    2010 AAT: Jim Leyland

kdog is offline MotownSports Fan

LOL. Awesome.

eastside billee is offline MotownSports Fan

I absolutely HATE that idea. Granderson is a town fave and a great talent in CF. When have the Tigers had a better Centerfielder? Better, not equal. It's been years and years.
    Is there another one in the minors? Man, I just the hate the idea. Not to mention just putting his name out there really blows.
    we only part to meet again vt BRIAN BLUHM vt

Scottwood is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Basically, everyone is available on our roster except Miggy, Porcello and Verlander. If the right deal comes along, DD will pull the trigger on just about everybody. This is not surprising.
    Dreaming about a repeat of 1984, 1968, 1945 and 1935

Shelton is offline MotownSports Fan

I think this can be a good move, if done correctly. I honestly don't think this team can be capable of winning on 2010. If they can get younger and get ahead of other teams in preparing for 2011, I think that would be a good idea.

Granderson is a very good player. And given his reasonable contract, they could get quite a bit in return. But it needs to be for future pieces, not bullpen help like Henning wants.
    AAT: Ian Kinsler

kdog is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Shelton View Post
    I think this can be a good move, if done correctly. I honestly don't think this team can be capable of winning on 2010. If they can get younger and get ahead of other teams in preparing for 2011, I think that would be a good idea.

Granderson is a very good player. And given his reasonable contract, they could get quite a bit in return. But it needs to be for future pieces, not bullpen help like Henning wants.
    Austin Jackson would be that future piece.

Scottwood is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Rumors are that the Yankees are especially interested.
    Dreaming about a repeat of 1984, 1968, 1945 and 1935

RobSk is offline MotownSports Fan

A top 5 CF for "bullpen help"? Uhhh, yeah.

This isn't even up to the level of a rumor. I mean, they aren't even suggesting *who* the trade might even possibly be for, except mentioning Austin Jackson. Obviously it wouldn't be straight up for Jackson, whose theoretical ceiling is probably a good bit lower than Granderson's performance in 2007/08/09.

I'd think Jackson and Hughes would be the minimum, and that's only if you think Hughes can get back in the rotation regularly.

Rob
    Last edited by RobSk; 11-11-2009 at 03:25 PM.
    VT
    "A room without books is like a body without a soul."
    - G.K. Chesterton

Euphdude is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shelton View Post

This.

Trading a top CF for bullpen help is ridiculous -- sometimes Henning has some good ideas but other times he's a little off the deep end.

MIgal1 is offline MotownSports Fan

UGH is right....I absolutely hate the idea.
    Only a game? No For some of us it is much more than only the game. You don't have to be on the field or a professional to have the game interact with your life....~Hueytaxi 2011 - ATT Rick Porcello

sloan is offline MotownSports Fan

would be seriously pissed if they traded him

RatkoVarda is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by MIgal1 View Post
    UGH is right....I absolutely hate the idea.
    What if the return was Madison Bumgarner and Conor Gillaspie from the Giants?

Or Wood, Conger and Reckling from the Angels?

Or Cashner, Vitters and Castro from the Cubs?

Kamakzie is offline MotownSports Fan

If Granderson goes to the pinstripes I would seriously consider not following Tigers baseball.
    2014 AAT: Nick Castellanos | 2013 AAL: Nate Burleson
    Brian Bluhm Estrepe1 is #1
    RIP Brian Schultz beloved cousin 10/31/1971 - 12/18/2009

Edman85 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by RatkoVarda View Post
    What if the return was Madison Bumgarner and Conor Gillaspie from the Giants?

Or Wood, Conger and Reckling from the Angels?

Or Cashner, Vitters and Castro from the Cubs?
    Madbum is overrated, Conor Gillaspie is a borderline prospect.

Brandon Wood is out of options and hasn't adjusted. Reckling has K/BB issues, and Conger's numbers aren't that great once you adjust for park.

Cashner also has K/BB warning signs, Vitters really isn't great, and Castro isn't exactly a stud.

No on all three counts.
    http://tigers-thoughts.blogspot.com
    RIP estrepe... Miss ya bud!

baseball3 is offline MotownSports Fan

Who in the world would the Yankees give us for Curtis?

The guys they have are all bought with a huge price, I don't see anyone they have coming to the Tigers that would make this a good deal.......

JonBenke is offline Released

Quote Originally Posted by baseball3 View Post
    Who in the world would the Yankees give us for Curtis?
    Prospects.

Johnny Mac is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Everyone should be on the block all the time is how I look at it. Id always see what I could get for my players, doesnt mean they get traded, but I would always be willing to hear offers.
    2010 AAL Louis Delmas - 84 tackles 2 sacks 2 FF - Pro Bowl Alternate
    2010 AAW Johan Franzen (Mule) - 76 games 28 goals 27 assists +5
    2011 AAT Jhonny Peralta .324/.359/.500 1 HR 4 RBI

Alex is offline MotownSports Fan

Like Jackson, IMHO I do not think this is salary related. As mentioned here alot comes off the books after 2010 (Maggs if no vest, Willis, Bondo, Robertson, etc.) they are more than likely listening to see IF they get a really GOOD offer for either while they have high value, it cannot hurt to listen.
    You should not deal either (IMHO) unless this is the case.
    Scully:
    'There's a marsh over there. The lights the driver saw may have been swamp gas...'

Mulder:
    'That happens to me when I eat Dodger dogs'

baseball3 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by JonBenke View Post
    Prospects.
    W H O?

We would honestly trade Curtis for prospects? prospects?

for Granderson -- HL no !!

When Austin Jackson is your #2 prospect, you're in big trouble. None of their top 20 prospects are very good.......this would be horrible.

I'd think to trade a very affordable contract and person such as Curtis, we'd get a front line starting pitcher and a ML caliber player in return

Their front line starting pitchers are not good fits for the Tigers for various reasons

tiger337 is offline MotownSports Writer

I'd hate to see my favorite Tiger since Whitaker and Trammell traded. if he was traded, I would hope it's to a team where I could root for and wish him success. Seeing him traded to the Yankees would be a huge disappointment. That being said, The New York post isn't the best source. Sherman may have just heard the Jackson rumor, read one of Henning's columns and concluded that Granderson could be going too.

Some are excited at the prospects of rebuilding but I don't like it this time. A team in a weak division with an owner who has been very willing to spend shouldn't have to trade away players like Granderson and Jackson and go into rebuilding mode. It's fun seeing teams with small payrolls every year get creative and do stuff like this but it would be pretty embarrassing for the Tigers given how much money they have spent.

Of course, nothing has happened yet so we'll just have to wait and see.
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

"They can use both (old- and new-school statistics)," Cabrera said. "In 2012, we've got to take advantage of all that.

deadcenter~440 is offline MotownSports Fan

This team isn't in the same category as NY/Philly/Angels/Boston............and the roster construct we've all been waiting for to change was scheduled to take place next year.

Why not listen to offers for a few of your more tradeable assets that have question marks around them, now...........?
    Baseball statistics are like a girl in a bikini. They show a lot, but not everything. ~Toby Harrah, 1983

keyser343 is offline MotownSports Fan

The return has to be in our favor. If they are starting a fire sale because of the bad contracts, then DD will take what he gets. However, the fans will turn on Illitch and DD for doing that. I have to say this is some sort of baseless rumor brought out to stoke the off season fires. Granderson would be hard to trade away due to on the field and off the field value. No team is going to offer fair value, believing the Tigers are in dire striats to trade away a Granderson and or Jackson, and will take what they can get.
    2011 AAT - Cole Nelson
    2010 AAT - Brayan Villareal
    2009 AAT - Avisail Garcia

I like the idea of rebuilding for one year, and after all the contracts come off the books, add to the new/young core you have created. We need to get younger!

ballmich is offline MotownSports Fan

I think this is just a situation where, similar to Jackson, you listen to what people have to offer. There's no down side to that. I'd be pretty surprised if we moved Granderson. It seems to me that we'd be trading him at a low point, and we have no heir apparent to CF. To me that makes a trade nearly impossible to pull off.

To me, the Jackson and Granderson speculation is not news. The media, largely NY and LA based, always throws trade speculation out there whereby their teams take everyone's best players in return for marginal prospects and middle relievers. This is nothing new. I've come to expect this. The only thing different is that we gaffed a 3 game lead with 4 to go, so the media is now circling us like vultures.
    The time is near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be free men or slaves. - George Washington August 26, 1776.

sportz4life is offline Released

Quote Originally Posted by RobSk View Post
    A top 5 CF for "bullpen help"? Uhhh, yeah.

This isn't even up to the level of a rumor. I mean, they aren't even suggesting *who* the trade might even possibly be for, except mentioning Austin Jackson. Obviously it wouldn't be straight up for Jackson, whose theoretical ceiling is probably a good bit lower than Granderson's performance in 2007/08/09.

I'd think Jackson and Hughes would be the minimum, and that's only if you think Hughes can get back in the rotation regularly.

Rob
    Not to be a buzz kill, but guys who hit .249 with neutral fielding metrics are not top 5 CF.

His split vs LHP has had 5 years to imporve it hasn't. If somebody wants to overpay for Curtis Granderson, I'm listening.

Edman85 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by baseball3 View Post
    W H O?

We would honestly trade Curtis for prospects? prospects?

for Granderson -- HL no !!

When Austin Jackson is your #2 prospect, you're in big trouble. None of their top 20 prospects are very good.......this would be horrible.

I'd think to trade a very affordable contract and person such as Curtis, we'd get a front line starting pitcher and a ML caliber player in return

Their front line starting pitchers are not good fits for the Tigers for various reasons
    If Montero was thrown out there, I'd at least listen.
    http://tigers-thoughts.blogspot.com
    RIP estrepe... Miss ya bud!

keyser343 is offline MotownSports Fan

I would put Grandy's value at a good young player and a top of the line prospect. Not many teams could do that deal. I think Detroit would want to get a young SS or 3rd Baseman back or young pitching. Maybe they go for big hitting OF'er, but I think they would look to fil the SS hole first in any deal. CF can be manned by several guys in the org. or by a low level FA pick up.
    2011 AAT - Cole Nelson
    2010 AAT - Brayan Villareal
    2009 AAT - Avisail Garcia

Quote Originally Posted by Edman85 View Post
    If Montero was thrown out there, I'd at least listen.
    Montero, Jackson and Phil Coke??

ballmich is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by keyser343 View Post
    CF can be manned by several guys in the org. or by a low level FA pick up.
    I don't know if you paid attention much to the 20 years preceding Granderson's arrival, but CF has not been an easy position to fill.

signed,

Nook Logan, Juan Encarnacion, Milt Culyer, Chad Curtis, Gene Kingsale, Gabe Kapler, Roger Cedeno, and a lot of other crappy players
    The time is near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be free men or slaves. - George Washington August 26, 1776.

tiger337 is offline MotownSports Writer

Quote Originally Posted by sportz4life View Post
    Not to be a buzz kill, but guys who hit .249 with neutral fielding metrics are not top 5 CF.

His split vs LHP has had 5 years to imporve it hasn't. If somebody wants to overpay for Curtis Granderson, I'm listening.
    He doesn't bat .249 every year and his fielding metrics are not all neutral. He ranks a lot better on the +/- statistic. If you just look at 2009, then he may not be top 5 (although the BIS total runs stat has him there). If you take the average of 2007-2009, then he definitely is. Of course you listen to trades for any player but it would take a lot for me to be comfortable with Granderson being traded.
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

"They can use both (old- and new-school statistics)," Cabrera said. "In 2012, we've got to take advantage of all that.

Would anyone do a Jesus Montero and Austin Jackson for Curtis Granderson trade?

...for just Curtis Granderson?

The Truman Show is offline MotownSports Fan

I'd jump at that deal. I don't really care that much for Phil Coke, but that would be some serious talent with just Montero and Jackson.

Frankly though, I don't believe Curtis is going anywhere. I don't care what the buzz is, I won't believe it until he actually shows up somewhere in a different hat.
    I cohost a terrific AL Central podcast here:http://invertedw.com/
    I tweet here:http://twitter.com/champaigncaviar

thewave84 is offline MotownSports Fan

If the Tigers seriously need to dump salary and become a small-market team, their most tradeable commodities are Granderson, Verlander, and Cabrera. Once they trade those 3 and then wait for all the 2010 salaries to expire, they can cut the payroll down to almost nothing.

Would anyone do a Jesus Montero and Austin Jackson for Curtis Granderson trade?

...for just Curtis Granderson?
    Jon the idea behind tradng Granderson is to attempt to get superior value for him. Jackson isn't as highly regarded by everyone as you think and Montero needs a position.

Quote Originally Posted by thewave84 View Post
    If the Tigers seriously need to dump salary and become a small-market team.
    No one is saying they are becoming a small-market team, just getting younger, and possibly rebuilding for ONE YEAR, till all these contracts free up.

I don't see the big deal in taking one year to rebuild, teams do it all the time.

Los Gatos is offline MotownSports Fan

If we really were to trade Granderson to the Yankees, Phil Hughes would have to be included, in my opinion. I'd also start off the talks by insisting they take some bad salary from us, too.

How about Hughes/Jackson for Granderson/Willis?

I really don't want to trade Granderson, but he's the one player we could probably get an overpayment for in a trade.
    Last edited by Los Gatos; 11-11-2009 at 04:32 PM.

Eric Cioe is offline MotownSports Fan

I'd trade Granderson for the right package. But I'd really rather not. I think he'll bounce back a little bit and his contract is pretty team friendly. His offense this season was exactly league average, and that was a down year for him. I think he's a 115 OPS+ sort of guy with above average defense, and those aren't easy to come by period, especially at center. If a team blew me away with a very good 3rd base prospect and maybe a middle of the rotation type prospect, I'd listen. But really I'd just rather not trade him.

Plus, it would be too much of a sell low move. Jackson you can understand being on the block. Granderson, maybe after a good season, if they decide he should go.

I don't think he'll go anyplace, though. I give Jackson a 40% chance of being traded and Curtis maybe a 15% chance.
    "I can't say I'm pleased to see you and warn you I may have to do something about it." Knut Hamsun

Jon the idea behind tradng Granderson is to attempt to get superior value for him.
    I understand. Besides the Yankees, who are some other teams you think would want Granderson?

Jackson isn't as highly regarded by everyone as you think and Montero needs a position.
    Could Montero play the OF, if he can't catch .. or is it either C or 1B?

Quote Originally Posted by Los Gatos View Post
    If we really were to trade Granderson to the Yankees, Phil Hughes would have to be included.
    Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Los Gatos View Post
    I'd also start off the talks by insisting they take some bad salary from us, too.
    Yeah, in a perfect world they'd take Guillen, but for doing that for us, we would get less in return. I'd rather just get the most talent.

The Truman Show is offline MotownSports Fan

I understand. Besides the Yankees, who are some other teams you think would want Granderson?

Could Montero play the OF, if he can't catch .. or is it either C or 1B?
    Frankly I'd just park Montero at DH for the next 10 years. Guy is a phenomenal hitter.
    I cohost a terrific AL Central podcast here:http://invertedw.com/
    I tweet here:http://twitter.com/champaigncaviar

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast