tiger337 is offline MotownSports Writer

Default Best Fielding Team in Baseball

According to the Ultimate Zone Rating statistic at Fan Graphs, the Tigers have had the best fielding team in the Majors so far this year. They are 32 runs saved above average. Last year, they were 39 below average. That's a 71 run difference which is remarkable. Just watching them play this year, I've got so much more confidence in them making plays. I imagine the pitchers feel the same way.

Major League Teams 2009 Fielders Fielding Statistics | FanGraphs Baseball
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

"They can use both (old- and new-school statistics)," Cabrera said. "In 2012, we've got to take advantage of all that.

Scottwood is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tiger337 View Post
    According to the Ultimate Zone Rating statistic at Fan Graphs, the Tigers have had the best fielding team in the Majors so far this year. They are 32 runs saved above average. Last year, they were 39 below average. That's a 71 run difference which is remarkable. Just watching them play this year, I've got so much more confidence in them making plays. I imagine the pitchers feel the same way.

What a stat.
    Dreaming about a repeat of 1984, 1968, 1945 and 1935

sportz4life is offline Released

But the GM is a doofus..at least thats what 37 posters told me this weekend..so let me take inventory..

50MM+ dead money..yet #1 defense, #2 AL Pitching, 1st Place AL Central..who is responsible for the retooling of a roster that saw them finish last in the AL Central and in shambles in 2008..could only be one thing..for a simple investment of $5000 Mr. David Dombrowski has a secret weapon..you heard it here first..it was the TSE!!!!

jake is offline MotownSports Fan

Pitching and Defense is 70% of the formula of playing winning baseball--probably higher.
    Last edited by jake; 06-14-2009 at 09:40 PM.
    For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God 1 Corinthians 1:18

Eric Cioe is online now MotownSports Fan

According to the Ultimate Zone Rating statistic at Fan Graphs, the Tigers have had the best fielding team in the Majors so far this year.
    I was going to jump on you for your thread title given the "Tigers have best pitching" thread a while ago, but then I read the first clause.

EDIT - How much data does UZR take to stabilize? I know some of these fielding metrics take a long time to get the noise out.
    "I can't say I'm pleased to see you and warn you I may have to do something about it." Knut Hamsun

diaspora04 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by sportz4life View Post
    ..could only be one thing..for a simple investment of $5000 Mr. David Dombrowski has a secret weapon..you heard it here first..it was the TSE!!!!
    No doubt, on the advice of 777.

Edman85 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    Pitching and Defense is 70% of the formula of playing winning baseball--probably higher.
    It's 50%, but I think you can make the case that improved pitching and defense can help your pitching and defense.
    http://tigers-thoughts.blogspot.com
    RIP estrepe... Miss ya bud!

jake is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Edman85 View Post
    It's 50%, but I think you can make the case that improved pitching and defense can help your pitching and defense.
    lol.
    For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God 1 Corinthians 1:18

tiger337 is offline MotownSports Writer

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cioe View Post
    I was going to jump on you for your thread title given the "Tigers have best pitching" thread a while ago, but then I read the first clause.

EDIT - How much data does UZR take to stabilize? I know some of these fielding metrics take a long time to get the noise out.
    Sample sizes are much larger at the team level than the individual level so I would trust partial season team statistics more than partial season individual statistics. Still, I'd want to see if they could keep it up for a full season.

And I knew someone would want to try to attack me for the thread title so I worded my post carefully!
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

"They can use both (old- and new-school statistics)," Cabrera said. "In 2012, we've got to take advantage of all that.