Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tint is offline MotownSports Fan

Default Tigers interested in Rafael Furcal

According to Mlbtraderumors.com
    According to MLB.com's Jason Beck, the Tigers will enter the mix for free agent shortstop Rafael Furcal. A one-year deal would be ideal for the Tigers, if Furcal is willing to entertain it. However, Furcal will be the best available shortstop if he reaches the open market.
    I would be for this. I like Furcal and if it is only one year until Iorg is ready it could work well.
    2010 AAT Jay Voss

macedonian bengal is offline MotownSports Fan

2014 AAT Lhp Kevin Ziomek

Walt is online now MotownSports Fan

If we could sign Furcal for two years, I have no problem with Iorg being extra ready.
    I really want marriage to be redefined as 1 man, 46 women, 13 lemons, 4 donkeys, 1 gold star sticker, a cup of coffee, a rhinoceros, and a Taco Bell gift certificate. -Pfife
    Forgetting the tangerine is a rookie mistake. -Mr Bigglesworth
    AAT: AlAl, the wildcard

TigersFan81371 is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

One year would be fine. A second year may or may not be as fine. I'd have to see how that first year turned out!
    @MrPaulOzzOslund Model citizen, zero discipline.
    *2014 Adopt-A-Tiger: Harold Castro.
    *All-Time Adopt-A-Tiger: Paul Carey, Bluhm Memorial Detroit Tigers HOF Inductee

MAROTH4MVP is offline MotownSports Fan

If he is healthy, he would be a great signing.
    I miss you dad.

sportz4life is offline Released

The 4 of you are dreaming Furcal will not accept anything less than 3 years and 40MM dollars..if thats the case eliminate the Tigers form the discussion.

Before you ask how I know this ..BECAUSE OTHER TEAMS WILL OFFER HIM THIS!!

TigersFan81371 is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sportz4life View Post
    The 4 of you are dreaming Furcal will not accept anything less than 3 years and 40MM dollars..if thats the case eliminate the Tigers form the discussion.

Before you ask how I know this ..BECAUSE OTHER TEAMS WILL OFFER HIM THIS!!
    Well yeah, there's that.
    @MrPaulOzzOslund Model citizen, zero discipline.
    *2014 Adopt-A-Tiger: Harold Castro.
    *All-Time Adopt-A-Tiger: Paul Carey, Bluhm Memorial Detroit Tigers HOF Inductee

jonjd is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Why is everyone on this forum convinced that Iorg will be ready in ONE year? Hell, what makes everyone believe he'll be ready at all? He does not look to be anything special to me.

CW
    CW is offline MotownSports Fan

Furcal is not a Type A or Type B free agent, which makes him more attractive to teams. On a side note, I wonder why he isn't ranked as an A or B?

Its official. The Tigs are out on Furcal. Sportz has spoken.

Personally, I think that if Illitch decides he wants Furcal, DD will go get him.
    Before you ask how I know this... BECAUSE IT HAS HAPPENED BEFORE.
    I really want marriage to be redefined as 1 man, 46 women, 13 lemons, 4 donkeys, 1 gold star sticker, a cup of coffee, a rhinoceros, and a Taco Bell gift certificate. -Pfife

Who is the Drizzle? is offline MotownSports Fan

I think if other teams are scared off by his injury, the Tigers may get in. If someone decides to go 3 yrs, the Tigers will probably only be in it to drive up the price.

He is really the perfect fit for this team offensively and defensively.

Microline133 is online now MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by jonjd View Post
    Why is everyone on this forum convinced that Iorg will be ready in ONE year? Hell, what makes everyone believe he'll be ready at all? He does not look to be anything special to me.
    You've clearly not seen him play...no fault of yours...but the stats don't tell the story here. Kid's a freak....
    Mark J. Anderson, Jr.
    Managing Editor
    TigsTown.com
    mark@tigstown.com

vannzee is offline MotownSports Fan

Furcal seems to really like LA...would he even want to leave?
    AAT 2013- SP D. Below 2012- RP R. Weinhardt 2011- CF A. Jackson 2010- SP D. Below 2009- INF Justin Henry 2008- RP Jeremy Johnson
    AAL TE Joe "Happy Feet" Fauria

tiger337 is offline MotownSports Writer

Scouts say he is a tremendous prospect and I believe them. He did well for a player who was coming off of two years of not playing organized ball but I'm not going to get too excited until I see some big numbers. I'm not counting on him being ready for 2010.
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

"They can use both (old- and new-school statistics)," Cabrera said. "In 2012, we've got to take advantage of all that.

So what?

why does DD have to offer Furcal only one or two years?

Furcal is one player in my estimation would be worth a four year contract.
    Hell yeah, just flip Iorg to 3B when he's ready, or move Furcal to 2B and trade Polanco while his value is still high.

I don't undertand the logic of some here.
    Sure, I want the Tigers to go young, cheap, fast, defensive, and have good pitching too, but an all star caliber here and there couldn't hurt us. Especially if DD does trade Maggs, Furcal would be much more valuable, as he would assume leadoff hitter, and Grandy could move into the 3 hole.

billfer is offline MotownSports Writer

Quote Originally Posted by Microline133 View Post
    You've clearly not seen him play...no fault of yours...but the stats don't tell the story here. Kid's a freak....
    I'm not disagreeing at all here, but why don't the stats tell the story. Or why didn't the freak translate to freak-ish stats? Any thoughts?
    Billfer
    Subscribe to www.detroittigersweblog.com

I've got Tigers Wood

Microline133 is online now MotownSports Fan

There was still rust -- particularly at the plate -- even visible in Instructional League. The last thing to come around his going to be his consistent swing plane and pitch recognition...they're both getting there, but until he gets comfortable with both, he may not translate his wealth of offensive skills to every game he plays. Once those come around -- even if they don't come around completely -- look out.
    Mark J. Anderson, Jr.
    Managing Editor
    TigsTown.com
    mark@tigstown.com

No offense jon but are you reading his stats or have you seen him play..and have you seen him play once or 3 years ago or for 5 days in a row like a scout would..

Just asking..when it somes to these questions I tend ot trust Mark..he sees guys from more than the newspaper or one game near band camp. He rarely gets emotional and typically provides a researched level headed analysis..

Who is the Drizzle? is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by macedonian bengal View Post
    So what?

Hell yeah, just flip Iorg to 3B when he's ready, or move Furcal to 2B and trade Polanco while his value is still high.

Sure, I want the Tigers to go young, cheap, fast, defensive, and have good pitching too, but an all star caliber here and there couldn't hurt us. Especially if DD does trade Maggs, Furcal would be much more valuable, as he would assume leadoff hitter, and Grandy could move into the 3 hole.
    $$$, injuries. Mainly $$$.....If Furcal is getting 3 years, it will be for a high average salary.....otherwise he'd prefer to go with a shorter contract, prove his health, and get his payday next year/year after.

So what?

Because you have a budget and a limit to your resources. Plus the guy has only been healthy for a portion of the last 2 years and isn't getting any younger.

There is already a lot of DEAD money on the payroll. Spending a little more shrewdly is something the Tigers could use a dose of.

Eric Cioe is offline MotownSports Fan

0% chance that Furcal plays in Detroit next year, unless the Dodgers play the Tigers at Comerica. The Dodgers want him and he wants to be there.
    "I can't say I'm pleased to see you and warn you I may have to do something about it." Knut Hamsun

Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    Its official. The Tigs are out on Furcal. Sportz has spoken.

Personally, I think that if Illitch decides he wants Furcal, DD will go get him.
    Before you ask how I know this... BECAUSE IT HAS HAPPENED BEFORE.
    Yeah and how'd that work out..people learn from their errors in judgement.

And why would he want an aging, frequently injured expensive shortstop, when he has one ripening in the minors, nearly ready to play and play inexpensively.

It is entertaining how some like to tell themselves strories regarding player acquisitions.

This time of year, being a fan and a lack of research and perspective tend to do that to ya..

Yeah and how'd that work out..people learn from their errors in judgement.

And why would he want an aging, frequently injured expensive shortstop, when he has one ripening in the minors, nearly ready to play and play inexpensively.

It is entertaining how some like to tell themselves strories regarding player acquisitions.

This time of year, being a fan and a lack of research and perspective tend to do that to ya..
    Nobody suggested that the Tigs were favorites to get Furcal. We were simply discussing the possibility.

As for perspective, if that includes being a smug pessimist that acts omnipotent, I'll pass. I prefer to be optimistic this time of year. If I wanted to bleak about a past time, I'd watch the Lions.

Nobody suggested that the Tigs were favorites to get Furcal. We were simply discussing the possibility.

As for perspective, if that includes being a smug pessimist that acts omnipotent, I'll pass. I prefer to be optimistic this time of year. If I wanted to bleak about a past time, I'd watch the Lions.
    Nah..reality and the facts to support it frequently aren't fun are they..when I want to dream..I close my eyes first.

Reality isn't very fun is it..
    Actually my reality has absolutely nothing to do with baseball. I have enough reality and choose not to pretend that baseball really matters.

Lets just agree to disagree on this. I have no interest in arguing on the internet. I have read this board long enough to know that we are not going to agree on this.

Actually my reality has absolutely nothing to do with baseball. I have enough reality and choose not to pretend that baseball really matters.

Lets just agree to disagree on this. I have no interest in arguing on the internet. I have read this board long enough to know that we are not going to agree on this.
    We can agree on that..

Besides, they are saving that money to sign C. C.

Tramfan is offline MotownSports Fan

I may be in the MS minority but sign him to more than a couple of years if that's what it takes and he can pass the necessary physicals. How scary would our lineup be starting off Furcal, Grandy and Polanco 1,2 and 3 setting up the big guys. It would if nothing else give our lineup more of the consistently it seemed to often lack. Plus we could always entertain moving Furcal and his canon to third when Iorg's ready.
    2013 Adopt a Tiger Andy Dirks
    "Gentlemen, we will chase perfection, and we will chase it relentlessly, knowing all the while we can never attain it. But along the way, we shall catch excellence."

vannzee is offline MotownSports Fan

Not that im for or against this idea, but if we do sign him for more then 2 or 3 years, we could always find a trade partner later.
    AAT 2013- SP D. Below 2012- RP R. Weinhardt 2011- CF A. Jackson 2010- SP D. Below 2009- INF Justin Henry 2008- RP Jeremy Johnson
    AAL TE Joe "Happy Feet" Fauria

Sportzy pretty much nailed it on the head in regards to realism.

This time of year really is exciting and brings a lot of hope.
    I'll persist in believing that if Illitch and DD actually want Furcal, that he can absolutely be had. Sure the Dodgers will be his first choice, but it all depends on what contract offer Colletti gives him. If Neddy offers him something of a discount deal because of his injury concerns, Furcal will bolt for the biggest contract he can get. We all know this. The only way Furcal settles for less is if nobody is willing to give in to his demands. Even then, if a 2 year deal, i'm sure he'll still get anywhere between 7 and 13 million per year.
    At this point, it wouldn't matter how many years DD offers, the important year is 2009, and DD has to sign him for that to happen. Working out the years and dollars of the contract, and deciding what to do with Iorg, Worth, Inge and Polanco will take care of itself later.

I believe the persistance and dedication DD shows in trying to sign Furcal will determine how aggressively he'll go after anyone else in the FA market.
    You guys are right though, the Dodgers would be fools to let Furcal walk, so I'll just keep crossing my fingers.

Looking back though, I remember each off season being a bit dissappointing since 2004. DD got Pudge, Vina, White, JJ, Urbina, Thames, Levine, Norton, and acquired Guillen and Colyer in 2003/2004. That was pretty exciting considering the lulls of 2003.
    We got Maggs, Percival, and later traded for Polanco in 2004/2005.
    I remember being disappointed when DD got spurned by so many free agents that winter, BJ Ryan, Carlos Beltran, JD Drew, Jeff Kent, Rich Aurilia, Carl Pavano, etc.
    2006 turned out well with Rogers and Jonesy, but at the time I was very depressed that they were the best DD could do.
    Ever since 2006, it seems that the big pieces have come by trade.
    Sheff, Cabrera, Willis, and Rent for the price of 11 great to decent prospects.
    That's a hell of a price to pay if you ask me. It would be wiser not trade any more prospects, and just invest more money this year in the FA market, if we can get the right guys.
    I think DD has enough money to lock down both Furcal, as well as Jaun Cruz.
    After that, it's time to make the tough Magglio decision. I'd hope DD doesn't trade him just yet, one more year of Maggs/Miggy would be fun to watch.
    If he does trade him, I hope he gets a few decent prospects (including a catcher), but mostly just manages to dump 12 to 15 million of that contract, so DD can turn around and spend it on one of the premeir starting pitchers on the market, any of Burnett, Dempster, Lowe, Garland, Perez, Penny, Sheets, or Looper. Just not CC, he's going to be the worst contract of this offseason when he's signed to a 7 year 175 million contract, and blows his arm out in 2010.

Los Gatos is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Tramfan View Post
    How scary would our lineup be starting off Furcal, Grandy and Polanco 1,2 and 3 setting up the big guys.
    Where Furcal would hit would be interesting to see. If this was the top 3, I'd rather Grandy hit 3rd and PP 2nd. However I'd be inclined to go Furcal, Grandy, Cabrera, Maggs 1-4.

Quote Originally Posted by Los Gatos View Post
    Where Furcal would hit would be interesting to see. If this was the top 3, I'd rather Grandy hit 3rd and PP 2nd. However I'd be inclined to go Furcal, Grandy, Cabrera, Maggs 1-4.
    Batting Polanco lower in the order actually would make a lot of sense.
    He's not a typical run producer type, but batting him 5, 6, or 7 might turn him into one. Polanco always makes good contact and could have opportunities to score a couple runners per rally, instead of just Grandy.

Wow!
    Furcal/Grandy/Cabrera/Maggs would be just sick!

Quote Originally Posted by Microline133 View Post
    There was still rust -- particularly at the plate -- even visible in Instructional League. The last thing to come around his going to be his consistent swing plane and pitch recognition...they're both getting there, but until he gets comfortable with both, he may not translate his wealth of offensive skills to every game he plays. Once those come around -- even if they don't come around completely -- look out.
    Could these skills be honed while playing good defense everyday with the big league club? Or would he better served working with someone like Durham in the minors.

DaYooperASBDT is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Furcal
    Granderson
    Ordonez
    Cabrera
    Guillen
    Polanco
    Sheffield
    B. Inge
    D. Ryan

Yeah, that might plate a few runs if people stay healthy.
    Once again, that will be a bit "if".
    2014 Adopt A Tiger: Casey Crosby
    These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... Morons.
    VT

Eric Cioe is offline MotownSports Fan

We're not getting Furcal. Shame, because he'd be great for us.

What I'd like to see is Granderson hitting 2nd, Cabrera 3rd, and either Guillen or a middle infield prospect leading off. Or shoot, maybe even Joyce. I like the idea of using the leadoff spot as sort of a middle-of-the-order understudy role. Teach a guy with decent power (like Granderson) how to get on base, too.
    "I can't say I'm pleased to see you and warn you I may have to do something about it." Knut Hamsun

Shelton is offline MotownSports Fan

yes we can...sign rafael furcal.
    AAT: Ian Kinsler

Quote Originally Posted by Shelton View Post
    yes we can...sign rafael furcal.
    YES WE CAN!

gamtchll is offline MotownSports Fan

Too much $$$$, spend it on the 'pen
    Playoffs? You kidding me???? Playoffs????????? Don't talk about Playoffs. PLAYOFFS??????????????? -Jim Mora

DaYooperASBDT is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

YES WE CAN!
    Drink your Kool-aid and sign this guy already !!!!!
    2014 Adopt A Tiger: Casey Crosby
    These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... Morons.
    VT

RobSk is offline MotownSports Fan

No we can't, unless one of you has 40 million. However, Mike Illitch can.

Too bad Obama didn't catch on to that slogan: Yes, Mike Illitch can!

He might have become the president.

Rob
    VT
    "A room without books is like a body without a soul."
    - G.K. Chesterton

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast