Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Microline133 is offline MotownSports Fan

Default Mark Anderson/TigsTown.com Chat - TRANSCRIPT

With MWG's blessing, and in similar fashion to several of last year's board chats, I'll be hosting a chat next Wednesday, October 24, 2007 at 5:00 pm EST, right here on the Tigers board.

It's a big time of year at TigsTown as we roll out our annual TigsTools series, rating the top hitters for average and power, speed, best fastball, breaking, ball, mechanics, and many more important baseball qualities. We've already rolled out the first three in the series (average, power, and plate discipline), and will be continuing with additional pieces every Tuesday and Thursday right up to Thanksgiving.

In addition, we'll be providing weekly in-depth updates and analysis on the progress of numerous Tiger players throughout the various fall and winter leagues -- including the Arizona Fall League, Hawaiian Winter Baseball League, Mexican Pacific League, Venezuelan Winter League, and Dominican Winter League. These 'Fall Notebooks' will be live at TigsTown every Monday morning.

We are also anxious to introduce what we hope is an exciting line of interviews throughout the off-season; talking with players, coaches, and others throughout the industry. Our first in this series should be debuting on the site in the next week or so.

Lastly -- and easily the most important -- TigsTown will be debuting its latest Top 50 Tiger prospects starting on October 29th. We'll come out with daily articles all throughout that week, highlighting ten players at a time....then running directly into 2-3 Prospect Profiles a week, with a full analysis of everything you could imagine on each of the Top 50 prospects.

The upcoming chat will hopefully provide a window into many of these features that will be coming online soon at TigsTown, and also provide an avenue to get all sorts of questions answered.

During the chat, I'll likely stick around for at least a couple hours, answering anything you guys are curious about in terms of the Tigers and their prospects.....and depending on my schedule that evening, I'll try to stick around longer if questions persist.

I'm looking forward to the opportunity to answer your questions and dive deep back into the MTS fold since I haven't been around as much as in the past.

Thanks
    Mark
    Mark J. Anderson, Jr.
    Director of Scouting
    TigsTown.com

wanker is offline MotownSports Fan

Well that should be a nice long read when I get out of work next wednesday.

JonBenke is offline Released

Who's da man .. the machine's da man:)

He's like our own lil magic eight ball, except .. ugh .. he doesn't like to be shook.

It just dawned on me, but if you won't be around for the chat but still have questions you'd like answered, feel free to PM or email (mark@tigstown.com) them to me and I'll answer them along with those questions that are posed real time......
    Mark J. Anderson, Jr.
    Director of Scouting
    TigsTown.com

TStar is offline MotownSports Fan

Will there be a transcript of the chat posted anywhere? I'm stuck in class :(
    AAT: Clete Thomas ('09), Patrick Leyland ('10)

Carpe Diem!!!

djhutch is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Thanks Micro. Have you given any thought to changing your avatar now that Maroth is gone?
    All-Time AAT: Charlie Maxwell
    If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball & saving an infantís life, she'll choose to save the infant without even considering if there are men on base. ~ Dave Barry

Will there be a transcript of the chat posted anywhere? I'm stuck in class :(
    It will be a thread on the board, so you'll have access to it.

Have you given any thought to changing your avatar now that Maroth is gone?
    You know it hadn't even crossed my mind until you just mentioned it....now I'm going to have to mull it over.....hmmmm....
    Mark J. Anderson, Jr.
    Director of Scouting
    TigsTown.com

cruzer1 is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Can we call you "Mr. Anderson"?
    Where's Zimm?
    VT

If you really need to cruzer, you go right ahead :)
    Mark J. Anderson, Jr.
    Director of Scouting
    TigsTown.com

DaYooperASBDT is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Are you prepared for anything Mark?
    2014 Adopt A Tiger: Casey Crosby
    These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... Morons.
    VT

Within reason....yes.....though I'm hoping the majority will be Tiger and Tiger prospects focused.
    Mark J. Anderson, Jr.
    Director of Scouting
    TigsTown.com

Blog Entries

"Will Timo make another run at .400 ??"
    These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... Morons.
    VT

davidsb is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by DaYooperASBDT View Post
    "Will Timo make another run at .400 ??"
    This is the question on every Tiger fans mind. It could make or break the 2008 Tigers!!

Blog Entries

Any chance we could do this at 6PM instead? I get off work right at 5, so can't get to a PC until about 5:50 ish. If not no biggie Mark, I'll read up afterwards.
    VT

I'll likely be going past 6:00 as long as there are still questions rolling in....
    Mark J. Anderson, Jr.
    Director of Scouting
    TigsTown.com

Blog Entries

OK thanks! Stall him guys !!
    VT

Tigercub33 is offline MotownSports Fan

I am sure other people will post the questions I have, I really look forward to reading this upcoming chat thread though.
    MTS Usual Suspects: banded together, mocking those who dare disagree with our way of thinking.
    ignorance = ignore list

We'll be getting started here in a few minutes. I need to make a couple of phone calls trying to set up player interviews next week and then we'll get rolling....

In the interim....here's an interesting interview I did with Baseball Prospectus' Will Carroll the other day.....

http://tigers.scout.com/2/694124.html
    Mark J. Anderson, Jr.
    Director of Scouting
    TigsTown.com

AlaskanTigersFan is offline MotownSports Fan

by the way, is this chat going to happen in the chat room? or here on the forum?
    2009 Adopt-A-Tiger = Jared Gayhart

Okay...we'll get going here a few minutes early. The phone calls are done, I'm rocking out to some excellent tunes and I have a Sam Adam's Octoberfest....it doesn't get much better.

I'll start with some questions that were sent to me ahead of time.....

Quote Originally Posted by billfer
    Who from the VSL and DSL can we expect to see playing state-side next year? And what's the word on Reynoso, his numbers were off the charts good?
    Its always difficult to project who will be coming stateside, because a significant portion of it depends on visa issues getting sorted out prior to minor league spring training. There are several pretty obvious candidates....guys like Reynoso, Duran, Mendez, Sierra, De La Cruz, Bautista, Grullon, and Heredia from the DSl...and Espinoza, Palacios, Oliveros, Robles, and Salcedo from the VSL. There is also a slim shot that you might see some of the new signees come stateside....those guys that got the larger bonuses, in much the same manner Wilkin and Audy did. If I was a betting man, I'd wager we'll see Reynoso, Duran, Sierra, the new DLC, Espinoza, and Oliveros next year....as well as a few others.

Quote Originally Posted by helendale
    Do you see Brookens returning to WM for next season?

What do you see the Tiger Organization doing to turn around the "environment" at Lakeland?

Do you see more college level players being advanced this year? [Gerbe, Jensen, Fien, Nickerson?]

After the success of Cleveland, Colorado, Arizona with younger players, what changes do you see for the Tiger Minor League Organization?
    I think Brookens will be back in West Michigan next year. He's an intriguing managerial prospect, and I won't be surprised if he's handled in much the same way as Walbeck.

I think you'll see a managerial change in Lakeland as part of the approach to turning things around. In addition, much of the 'environment' at the minor league level depends on the dynamic between the players and whether they are winning or not. The same group of players could have an entirely different dynamic and experience if different players matured or changed their outlook over the offseason. With a whole new crop of players, I think you'll see that have more of an impact that anything else.

Guys like Gerbe, Nickerson, Fien, and Jensen will most certainly be advanced. You might see a couple of them (or others) challenged with assignments to Erie, but I think you'll see the majority of them start out working in Lakeland. They all performed well in 2007, and there is no reason not to promote them.

Lastly, I don't think you'll see them change anything on the minor league front to stay on par with the teams mentioned. The Tigers are in the process of doing what they have done....building a very strong minor league system. When that happens, and when much of the current lineup ages at roughly the same time, you'll see a pretty big turnover to younger talent in Detroit. They're on a similar path....though more competitive with their current team than those others were.

Quote Originally Posted by cruzer
    Do the Tigers have any late bloomers that could surprise in the bullpen relatively soon? Sort of a surprise type, similar to what the Indians have in Betencourt, who bounce around for a couple of years.
    I think you saw two of those guys this year...guys like Byrdak and Seay. Its always difficult to project relievers in any capacity, because their performance is so variable....inherently so. I'd have to wait until the minor league free agent signings come out to really make a guess at this, but there are a few prospects on the horizon that could contribute if given an opportunity....guys like Ostlund, Zell, Hamman, Tomey, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by sbcaptain2
    Mark, would you mind sharing some knowledge on Edward Reynoso during the chat tomorrow. Specifically, what type of stuff does he have? Also, what do you think of Guillermo Moscoso? I was at his perfect game and he was absolutely nasty on that night. I know he was old for short season ball, but he definitely has a good arm. Thanks.
    Reynoso is a command and control guy. He sits in the 87-89 range right now with some projection for added velocity, but not much more. He has a nice curveball and change, both of which he can throw for strikes routinely. He carved up the DSL with great command of all three pitches.

Moscoso is a mixed bag for me. He's got plenty of arm strength and the knowledge of how to pitch....he just doesnt' have the consistency or command of his secondary pitches to really put it together yet. I think he'd have a better shot of advancing and making progress as a prospect, from the bullpen.

Quote Originally Posted by helendale
    Questions:

1. Do you see another big trade this year?

2. What milb prospects do you project being involved?

3. Can you update us on minor league free agents. Who is going? Your Thoughts?

4. Minor League Managers? [I have read some comments on Bradshaw becoming a roving instructor and Oneonta Manager taking over]

Are we looking at some Major Changes for Next Year
    I don't see the blockbuster type deal that we pulled with Sheffield last year, but I do expect some wheeling and dealing in the next few months.

Without knowing the players targeted by the Tigers in trade, it is impossible to project with minor leaguers could be involved.

The minor league free agent list will be finalized in the coming weeks. The list that was posted in the minor league forum was pretty extensive, and nailed most of the guys on my list.

I've heard similar rumors on Bradshaw's future, and I'm not surprised by them. He is a good instructor and someone I think can succeed in that role. I'm not expecting major shakeups anywher.
    Mark J. Anderson, Jr.
    Director of Scouting
    TigsTown.com

MACHINE; do you think the Tigers will ultimately put Maybin in CF or LF ?

And do you think Gorkys Hernandez is a keeper or a prospect chip to trade? In other words, do you forsee an OF of Granderson, Maybin, and Gorkys?

What are some of the young pitchers who have been drafted over that last two drafts that you like the most, who has the best chance to make it, etc...

Among all the major league teams, how would you rate the last draft we had?

Are people fooling themselves or can James Skelton actually become .. in time .. our future catcher at the big league level?

And finally, dude .. Cameron Maybin .. he's good, right?

thewave84 is offline MotownSports Fan

Is there any scenario where Holliman is the Tigers' starting SS next year? (Not counting scenarios with more than one other SS getting injured.)

smitchell24 is offline MotownSports Fan

Micro, what are the chances that Grilli remains in a Tiger uniform in 2008? And will Zumaya assume the role of closer? Any chance Doug Jones returns?

Thanks!

redshark63 is offline MotownSports Fan

Mark,

Any players out of the Cape Cod league to keep our eyes on in next year's draft and their strengths?
    2014 AAT: Drew VerHagen

sportz4life is offline Released

Mark,

What do you make of the Larish situation. With Guillen moving to 1B do we keep him (we need LH bats) or deal him..

Quote Originally Posted by JonBenke View Post
    MACHINE; do you think the Tigers will ultimately put Maybin in CF or LF ?

And do you think Gorkys Hernandez is a keeper or a prospect chip to trade? In other words, do you forsee an OF of Granderson, Maybin, and Gorkys?

What are some of the young pitchers who have been drafted over that last two drafts that you like the most, who has the best chance to make it, etc...

Among all the major league teams, how would you rate the last draft we had?

Are people fooling themselves or can James Skelton actually become .. in time .. our future catcher at the big league level?

And finally, dude .. Cameron Maybin .. he's good, right?
    TRADER JON!!!

I think ultimately, Maybin ends up in right field...though that will obviously be down the line once Maggs is either DHing or gone. In the interim, I think you'll see him in left when in Detroit, and you may see him in left to start next year in the minors, just to get used to the ball off the bat from that angle.

I don't think you'll see the front office actively looking to trade Gorkys. The kid is a serious, serious talent....not that far behind Maybin in terms of overall potential. If he went to high school here, he'd be a bigger prospect because he'd have the requisite hype.

Obviously I really like Porcello. The kid is legit. Over the last couple of drafts, guys like Gerbe, Nickerson, Furbush, Crosby, and Hamilton all have loads of potential. A sleeper in there is someone like Matt Hoffman. He's a helluva pitcher and shouldn't be forgotten about given his late signing date. If Gerbe stays in the bullpen (where they planned for him to spend the entire '07 season) he could move very quickly.

With regards to ranking this year's draft....we are one of the tops...just because we signed Porcello. Then you add in guys like Crosby, Worth, Iorg, Hoffman, Taylor, Vaugn etc......we're easily in the top five from this year....right now anyway.

Skelton's an intriguing guy. He's wiry strong, quick, strong-armed, and he has an astounding understanding of the strike zone for someone his age. I want to see how he handles more advanced runners and pitching staffs, but he looks more legit every time he takes the field.

And yes....Maybin is really, really good.
    Mark J. Anderson, Jr.
    Director of Scouting
    TigsTown.com

The Tigers seem to like Noah Krol, since he recently was assigned to the AFL as a injury replacement (or was he the only one still stateside).

Is he in the Brett Jensen, Kevin Whelan mold of potential closer?

What does he bring to the Mesa?

Quote Originally Posted by thewave84 View Post
    Is there any scenario where Holliman is the Tigers' starting SS next year? (Not counting scenarios with more than one other SS getting injured.)
    I have a hard time seeing this one happening out of the gate. I just don't think he's quite ready offensively...almost, but not quite. If he explodes the rest of the AFL season and then again in spring training its possible, but I don't see it.
    Mark J. Anderson, Jr.
    Director of Scouting
    TigsTown.com

AlaskanTigersFan is offline MotownSports Fan

Mark, WHose going to be better in the long run? Porcell or Miller?

Also, 2 years down the road, who do you take on your team? Bonderman, or Miller if you had to choose and why? Both are pretty much the same pitcher. Miller is lefty that throws fastball/Silder (although he supposidly has a change). Bonderman is a Righty with some knowledge of batters in the MLB already, play off experience, throws possibly the best Right Handed Slider in baseball, decent fastball and a change up that is sketchy at best. Thanks.
    2009 Adopt-A-Tiger = Jared Gayhart

Quote Originally Posted by smitchell24 View Post
    Micro, what are the chances that Grilli remains in a Tiger uniform in 2008? And will Zumaya assume the role of closer? Any chance Doug Jones returns?

Thanks!
    Grilli has a reasonable chance of returning....simply because the organization loves hard throwing relievers, and he fits the bill.....oh, and Jim Leyland really likes him.

Zumaya is going to get progressively more opportunities to work in the closer's role throughout the 2008 season. It all depends on whether Jones comes back next year.....and I think the Tigers want him back, but does he want to return without a guarantee of being the full time closer?
    Mark J. Anderson, Jr.
    Director of Scouting
    TigsTown.com

Quote Originally Posted by redshark63 View Post
    Mark,

Any players out of the Cape Cod league to keep our eyes on in next year's draft and their strengths?
    Wow...that's a tough one for me, because I didn't pay that close of attention to the Cape this summer...too many other things going on. I hate to say it, but let me get back to you on this one.
    Mark J. Anderson, Jr.
    Director of Scouting
    TigsTown.com

Mark,

It seems the Tigers made some revisions to Hamilton's mechanics which enabled to command the strike zone more often..what's his upside

Quote Originally Posted by sportz4life View Post
    Mark,

What do you make of the Larish situation. With Guillen moving to 1B do we keep him (we need LH bats) or deal him..
    I think there will be an effort to keep him, but if an organization comes along that wants him as the critical piece to a deal that will fill a hole on the Major League club, I don't think he's untouchable. Personally, I think he's a legit Major League power hitter, and he'd be handy to have over the long haul.
    Mark J. Anderson, Jr.
    Director of Scouting
    TigsTown.com

What revisons re they trying to make to Miller's deleivery and what happened to the great cutter he had in college..

Quote Originally Posted by redshark63 View Post
    The Tigers seem to like Noah Krol, since he recently was assigned to the AFL as a injury replacement (or was he the only one still stateside).

Is he in the Brett Jensen, Kevin Whelan mold of potential closer?

What does he bring to the Mesa?
    Krol's probably a setup guy down the line....much the same as Jensen and Whelan. He's a 88-91 guy with his fastball and an absolutely dominating slider with great depth. He's fearless on the mound, and I love him in high leverage situations.
    Mark J. Anderson, Jr.
    Director of Scouting
    TigsTown.com

In spite of not having a SS necessarily quite ready for the show, how do you see the minor league logjam of SS playing out?

Worth, Sizemore, Iorg, Tony G. (if he comes back), HollimOn.

Who do you see ending up the starting SS in a couple years?

Who ends up at another position as a starter?

Who ends up as a utility player?

Who is most likely to be in a trade?

Granted any or all of these guys could fall off to varying degrees.

helendale009 is offline MotownSports Fan

Default Lakeland Pitchers

What pitchers from this years Lakeland team do you see promoted to Erie?

Who will be the manager at Toledo next year?

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanTigersFan View Post
    Mark, WHose going to be better in the long run? Porcell or Miller?

Also, 2 years down the road, who do you take on your team? Bonderman, or Miller if you had to choose and why? Both are pretty much the same pitcher. Miller is lefty that throws fastball/Silder (although he supposidly has a change). Bonderman is a Righty with some knowledge of batters in the MLB already, play off experience, throws possibly the best Right Handed Slider in baseball, decent fastball and a change up that is sketchy at best. Thanks.
    I think Porcello's better in the end. He's got more to pull from as far as his arsenal goes, and he's more polished at a younger age.

I'll answer this on the assumption that Bonderman is completely healthy today....I take Miller two years from now. I like his arm angle and deception a little better, and think he'll have the higher peak.
    Mark J. Anderson, Jr.
    Director of Scouting
    TigsTown.com

THANKS MACHINE .. and since you called me trader jon (and even made a face)

The rumblings down here in Atlanta are that Edgar Renteria will be traded to make room for Yunel Escobar, with most people saying to me that they have either read or saw on their local news front .. that the most obvious of destinations is Detroit, but that Atlanta really wants Jair Jurrjens for him.

Is that dreaming on the part of Atlanta or is that what it'd cost to get him?

Do you think this could be the last year in Detroit for Brandon Inge .. if so, barring any trades, is there anyone in the minors ready to take his spot?

What are your top five prospects on both sides, hitting and pitching, that you think we should all keep a keen eye on the most .. next season?

In just regards to their West Michigan play alone, which team did you think was better .. the White Caps of 06 or the White Caps of 07 - and why?

...and by the way; THANKS

Quote Originally Posted by sportz4life View Post
    Mark,

It seems the Tigers made some revisions to Hamilton's mechanics which enabled to command the strike zone more often..what's his upside
    Personally, I still think he's destined for the bullpen, but I don't think that will happen for a few years. If the mechanical tweaks stick against stiffer competition, and the change gains consistency, he'll have a chance to stick in the rotation. He still has a tendancy to rely too heavily on his fastball when things get tight, but he should grow out of that. In the end, I think he's either a #3 starter or a dominating late inning reliever.
    Mark J. Anderson, Jr.
    Director of Scouting
    TigsTown.com

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast