Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tyrus is offline Released

Default Most Hated Tiger Ever

Here's a stupid question I was contemplating last night: Who was the Tiger player most hated by Detroit fans?

I was thinking about this question while mulling over the fetish some fans have for hating on certain players.

So who was the All-Time Most Hated Tiger? In my lifetime, it's probably a tossup between Juan Gonzalez and Willie Hernandez (post 1985). I don't think I've ever seen Detroit fans boo Tiger players they way they did Juan and Willie.

syrett4 is offline MotownSports Fan

Juan Gonzalez. Only Tiger I ever booed.
    But you aren't a man. Men are not supposed to like Streisand movies. Its just not right. - Estrepe1 VT

MackAveKurt is offline MotownSports Fan

Gotta be JuanGone
    -Kurt
    Now managing http://blessyouboys.com

Espen1978 is offline MotownSports Fan
    Lakeland - Spring Training Capital of the World

Niefi Perez, but can we really even call him a Tiger?
    2010 AAT - Jacob Turner 2009 AAT - Jeff Frazier 2008 AAT - Ryan Strieby
    LFT Fan of the Month - May '08

Quote Originally Posted by Espen1978 View Post
    Niefi Perez, but can we really even call him a Tiger?
    Niefi is not even close. He tries. He wants to play. He just isin't very good at it. Its noble that he keeps going out there in some respects.

Juan was just a turd who was a disgrace to the Olde English D for a year. The best thing he did was turn down that contract but its the weak "injuries" and then turning down the Yankee deal that really got me to the point of booing him. I booed him at Comiskey and the White Sox fans thought it was funny.
    But you aren't a man. Men are not supposed to like Streisand movies. Its just not right. - Estrepe1 VT

jadefalcon is offline MotownSports Fan

Juan Gonzalez.
    Never put off til tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow. ~Mark Twain
    VT

Buddha is offline MotownSports Fan

JuanGone

Mike Moore was booed a lot. Wasn't Tim Belcher booed too? Basically the guys who are brought in under big money and then suck or slack off.

Willie Hernandez because he was such a jerk.
    the above opinion is not respected by Deleterious

thewave84 is offline MotownSports Fan

Randy Smith.

TonyJM is offline MotownSports Fan

For my lifetime, it's JuanGone...Though the Drew and Mike bits were hilarious.

thewave84 is offline MotownSports Fan

I actually felt kind of sorry for Juan Gonzales. He was put in a place where he didn't want to be and they tried to turn in into something that he wasn't (a team leader/superstar). I am so thankful that he didn't sign the long-term contract that I am not mad at him. That would have been such a disaster I can't even imagine it. It's also the reason why Randy Smith is my most hated Tiger. He boggled that situation beyond belief.

Quote Originally Posted by thewave84 View Post
    Randy Smith.

The question was player

I wonder if there were any hated Tigers before our time? I would think there would have to be.

I remember reading that Tiger fans in the 30s would sometimes get upset at Jo-Jo White, who had a ton of talent, but who played with his head up his butt.

But other than that, I can't recall any of the history books discussing Tigers who were disdained by Detroit fans. But, as I said, you would think there were such players...maybe historians just didn't think it was important to point them out.

Fans across baseball despised Ty Cobb of course, but near as I can tell, Detroit fans loved him.

tiger337 is offline MotownSports Writer

Denny McLain is the most hated Tiger ever if we include off the field activities. On the field, it was probably Juan Gonzalez.
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

"They can use both (old- and new-school statistics)," Cabrera said. "In 2012, we've got to take advantage of all that.

MelissaG915 is offline MotownSports Fan

I have to agree that I despised Juan Gone. But for some reason, I just hated Roger Cedeno, I thought he was the laziest, most incompetent player I ever saw.
    AAT '12 - Dan Schlereth

Quote Originally Posted by Buddha View Post
    JuanGone

Mike Moore was booed a lot. Wasn't Tim Belcher booed too? Basically the guys who are brought in under big money and then suck or slack off.

Willie Hernandez because he was such a jerk.

Both Moore and Belcher were booed heavily, if I remember.

And the reason Willie got booed wasn't because of his personality, I think. It was because he started sucking on the playing field. If he had been racking up 35 saves a year during 1986-88, I doubt fans would have booed him, regardless of his personality.

In fact, after he dumped water on Mitch Albom, I would think fans would give him a standing O!

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrus View Post

But other than that, I can't recall any of the history books discussing Tigers who were disdained by Detroit fans. But, as I said, you would think there were such players...maybe historians just didn't think it was important to point them out.
    I don't think the media would delve into the negative aspects of player's personalities as much back in the old days. They tended to glorify players rather than tear them down. Thus, the fans probably tended to do the same thing.
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

"They can use both (old- and new-school statistics)," Cabrera said. "In 2012, we've got to take advantage of all that.

Quote Originally Posted by MelissaG915 View Post
    I have to agree that I despised Juan Gone. But for some reason, I just hated Roger Cedeno, I thought he was the laziest, most incompetent player I ever saw.

I remember watching a Tiger game on TV, broadcast from a near-empty Comerica Park, when Roger made some kind of baserunning blunder.

On the broadcast, you could hear Phil Garner's voice, clear as day, come from the dugout as he hollered, "come on, Cedeno -- get your head out of your *****!"

That was one of the funniest things I can ever remember on a baseball braodcast.

Quote Originally Posted by tiger337 View Post
    I don't think the media would delve into the negative aspects of player's personalities as much back in the old days. They tended to glorify players rather than tear them down. Thus, the fans probably tended to do the same thing.

Good point. Sports reporters generally didn't try to dig up dirt on players until after Watergate, when everyone fancied themself an investigative reporter.

There are exceptions, of course, including the way the press dealt with Ted Williams. But that's the Boston media -- an entity onto itself, apart from any other universe.

One Man's Fool is offline MotownSports Fan

Definitely Juan Gonzalez. The antipathy toward him was astounding.

By the way, Willie Hernandez was not a jerk. He threw water on Mitch Albom. That is one of the greatest things anyone ever did.
    Dan Calabrese
    2008 Adopted Tiger: Adrian Casanova (Catcher, West Michigan) .282 avg., 1 HR, 5 RBI, .370 OBP
    All-Time Adopted Tiger: Danny Meyer

I've been following the Tigers since the mid-70's and have heard stories from my dad of the Tigers from the 60's and I don't recall anyone that Tiger fans actually despised.

Did some not perform well...heck yeah, but players that
    1. Didn't want to be here
    2. Didn't care about the fans
    3. Only cared about himself
    4. Didn't really seem like he even wanted to play baseball

I think you will have a tough time finding all 4 points in one player other than Juan Gonzalez. In fact, my dad taught me to never boo. Especially the Tigers. (Except for Reggie, that was great)

Todd is offline MotownSports Fan

no Bip Roberts?
    I have No agenda in the Morning

jadefalcon is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by tiger337 View Post
    Denny McLain is the most hated Tiger ever if we include off the field activities. On the field, it was probably Juan Gonzalez.
    Agree on McLain. That guy was/is a total scumbag.
    Never put off til tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow. ~Mark Twain
    VT

kajoreh is offline MotownSports Fan

in a working class town that is looking for heroes you have to try awfully hard to be dispised here...

unless you are a lion...

and that might have some cultural overlap to the team being owned by the company that you have to go to work for the next day...litterally for some, and metaphorically for many others...

ewsieg is offline MotownSports Fan

Tough question, I think in my lifetime i'd have to go with Willie Hernandez. My dad was convinced he was sparky's illegitimate son that was willing to go public with it. But he was a significant part of the 84 team, so it's not like I can dislike him all that much. Juan was everything everyone has said about him, he was lazy with us, probably leading to some of his injury proness both here and down the road as well, but most importantly, he didn't want to be here and when we were ready to give him the earth, moon, and all the stars, he turned us down.

His trade is thought by many to be what lead us into our bottom feeding years, but a "yes" by him would have probably kept us there a lot longer.

As a result, I don't think I could say I hate any Tiger, but hell i'm a homer, I even root for Inge.
    VT

lordstanley is offline MotownSports Fan

I know that Don Mossi has long been mocked for his appearance, but I don't think he was "hated" per se and seems like a nice enough old man.

monkeytargets37 is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Gregg Jefferies?

Gotta be Juan Gone though.

FloridaTigers is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Perhaps Denny.

Higgy wasn't hated so much, but his final season as a Tiger...I remember him being boo'd constantly. One time, in a bases loaded two outs 9th inning situation, and he proceeded to pop up on a 3-0 or 3-1 pitch, and the Tigers lost. The boo birds started again.

Why was Willie Hernandez hated so much in the late 80s? I always hear about it, but never understand it. Did he just become bad? Was he a jerk to the fans?
    "Violence on television only affects children whose parents act like television personalities" -David Byrne

Greenwit is offline MotownSports Fan

1. Jaundo.....not only most hated but most unfortunate for not grabbing M. Smith's money bag when it was offered him.

2. Damion Easley....cause he whined and complained in his final days here when he was benched while getting paid ridiculous amounts of cash. It didn't matter to him that he couldn't hit a lick. Why is this guy still in the Bigs.....Good Riddance.

3. Shane Halter....similar to Easley except he didn't have the star contract.
    Two words: Costa Rica.

tiger paw paw is offline MotownSports Fan

I hated both Jack Morris and Kirk Gibson when they left the tigers. I couldn't understand how Morris could go to Minnesota and Toronto. I went to Vero Beach Specifically to Boo Gibson. I never really liked Dean Palmer. Gonzales is exactly what I expected, so I hated the move more than the player.

But the most hated Tiger for me is Fernando Rodney. Every time he blows something and they show him wearing his hat thug style I throw things. I just want to scream "why are you acting like a bad MF when you just blew another lead?"...

Lurking does not by itself make you a troll

MissouriKaline6 is offline MotownSports Fan

Gabe Kapler??

davidsb is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by MissouriKaline6 View Post
    Gabe Kapler??
    He was a favorite where ever he went.

Corky is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by monkeytargets37 View Post
    Gregg Jefferies?
    Bingo!

Also votes for Cris Brown.

2014 AAT - Phil Coke

I was thrown out of N.Y.U. my freshman year for cheating on my metaphysics final, you know. I looked within the soul of the boy sitting next to me. - Alvy Singer

A.J.K. is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaTigers View Post
    Why was Willie Hernandez hated so much in the late 80s? I always hear about it, but never understand it. Did he just become bad? Was he a jerk to the fans?

he sucked. and he alienated white people by changing his name back to guillermo.
    2014 AAT: Luke Putkonen
    2013 AAT: Darin Downs
    All-time AAT: Jim Walewander

dt35456884 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by A.J.K. View Post
    he sucked.
    False.
    VT - RIP BB

Twitter

Hernandez was very good from 1985-1987. The problem was that people's expectations were too high after his awesome 1984 season. He didn't deserve the boos.
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

DaYooperASBDT is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tiger paw paw View Post
    I hated both Jack Morris and Kirk Gibson when they left the tigers. I couldn't understand how Morris could go to Minnesota and Toronto. I went to Vero Beach Specifically to Boo Gibson.
    My theory was always that the Tigers screwed both of them repeatedly at contract renewal time, and perhaps that is why they both left, and Parrish went to Philadelphia FOR LESS MONEY.

So did your dislike for those two include Lance as well then?
    2014 Adopt A Tiger: Casey Crosby
    These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... Morons.
    VT

Greenberg #5 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    no Bip Roberts?
    Didn't Bip call out or threaten Gibby? Am I recalling that correctly?
    2007 ATT - Jim Bunning
    You'll have to excuse my friend....He's a little slow!
    VT

djhutch is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

I can't think of anyone that Tigers fans hated more than Juan Gonzalez. Of course I was a kid back in the mid-late 70s when the Tigers stunk, but I don't remember ever hating any players. I wonder if it's because we know so much more about them now than we used to.
    2014 AAT:Daniel Fields All-Time AAT: Charlie Maxwell
    If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball & saving an infantís life, she'll choose to save the infant without even considering if there are men on base. ~ Dave Barry

One Man's Fool is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by DaYooperASBDT View Post
    My theory was always that the Tigers screwed both of them repeatedly at contract renewal time, and perhaps that is why they both left, and Parrish went to Philadelphia FOR LESS MONEY.

So did your dislike for those two include Lance as well then?
    Hating Morris for leaving the Tigers is asinine. He stayed here for 14 years.
    Dan Calabrese
    2008 Adopted Tiger: Adrian Casanova (Catcher, West Michigan) .282 avg., 1 HR, 5 RBI, .370 OBP
    All-Time Adopted Tiger: Danny Meyer

ewsieg is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Greenberg #5 View Post
    Didn't Bip call out or threaten Gibby? Am I recalling that correctly?

I think it would probably be fair to say most people that have had to deal with Gibby on a consistant basis have called him out or threatened him.
    VT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast