Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Los Gatos is offline MotownSports Fan

Default 2012 Topps Series 1

This appears to be the Tigers checklist, for now anyway. I may have missed some, and I assume we'll see 2 Verlander cards for Cy and MVP. The link also lists autos, relics, inserts, etc. Release date 2/1/12.

32 Detroit Tigers PH (not sure what PH means - possibly postseason highlights?)
    52 LL Verlander/Weaver/Shields
    54 Jhonny Peralta
    65 Delmon Young
    82 Rick Porcello
    162 Max Scherzer
    166 Brennan Boesch
    200 Miguel Cabrera
    201 Doug Fister
    213 Alex Avila
    239 LL Cabrera/Young/Gonzalez
    282 Ryan Raburn
    319 LL Verlander/Sabathia/Weaver

2012 Topps Series 1 Baseball Checklist
    Last edited by Los Gatos; 02-02-2012 at 11:39 AM.

Zack attack is offline MotownSports Fan

yeah, PH does stand for Postseason Highlights. I became familiar with that abbvr. after the 2006 Update set. :p
    AAT: 2011 E. Young (67th) | 2012 B. Inge (24th)/B. Eldred/Q. Berry | 2013 M. Henneman (84th) | 2014 A. Jackson (22nd)/D. Price

jimtb is offline MotownSports Fan

I can't decide if I like the design or not. It's certainly a focus on the photo this year.

SacBunt is offline MotownSports Fan

As for non auto/relic inserts (informal list I gleaned from Sports Card Radio blog)

GM-9 Golden Moments Justin Verlander
    GM-40 Golden Moments Miguel Cabrera
    GM-42 Golden Moments Al Kaline
    TT-5 Timeless Talents : Nolan Ryan - Justin Verlander
    GG-16 Golden Greats Ty Cobb
    GG-17 Golden Greats Ty Cobb
    GG-18 Golden Greats Ty Cobb
    GG-19 Golden Greats Ty Cobb
    GG-20 Golden Greats Ty Cobb
    GS-12 Gold Standards Al Kaline
    GS-15 Gold Standards Ty Cobb
    CW-11 Classic Walkoffs Magglio Ordonez
    2014 AAT First Steve Lombardozzi Jr., then Alex Gonzalez, then Danny Worth

There was mention of a Cy Young card and MVP card being in Series 1 as well, but I didn't see any reference in the checklist. Plus Verlander is on two "League Leaders" cards and Cabrera is on one "League Leader" card:

52 LL - Verlander/Weaver/Shields
    239 LL - Cabrera/Young/Gonzalez
    319 LL - Verlander/Sabathia/Weaver

Any retail sightings yet? I was at Meijer and Target over the weekend and there was nothing yet. It was nice for a couple years recently when retail hit the shelves a good week or two prior to the official release date.

There area couple small monthly shows near my house this Sunday that I'm looking to stock up on Tigers base for 10 cents a piece, so if anyone needs help with their team set-building next week, let me know and I should have extras (provided the 2/1 release date doesn't push). And for full set-builders, if there are non Tigers that you need, let me know as well.

Regarding the checklist, I assume we'll also see the variation short prints again, which have become one of my favorite aspects of Topps, but hopefully we'll get some different players. I love Cobb, Greenberg and Kaline cards, but there are plenty of other good former Tigers that would be nice to see for a change.

Some singles are up on eBay - check your stores tonight. There's a Walmart blue Eric Hosmer, so perhaps Walmart got them first. Funny thing is, the Walmart closest to me no longer carries trading cards!

davidsb is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Los Gatos View Post
    Some singles are up on eBay - check your stores tonight. There's a Walmart blue Eric Hosmer, so perhaps Walmart got them first. Funny thing is, the Walmart closest to me no longer carries trading cards!
    There is a red parallel Tiger Target card on eBay now also. Might have to head over there at lunch today!
    Last edited by davidsb; 01-31-2012 at 09:05 AM.

I love Cobb, Greenberg and Kaline cards, but there are plenty of other good former Tigers that would be nice to see for a change.
    This.

Time to start my 2012 Tiger binder!

Any cumulative 2012 checklists out there? Grand used to post a great list, but with his hiatus is there any other site that has a great checklist?

How about a Heinie Manush SP card? At least a Charlie Gehringer SP....

I just acquired a new one in anticipation of the release this week.

Quote Originally Posted by SacBunt View Post
    Any cumulative 2012 checklists out there? Grand used to post a great list, but with his hiatus is there any other site that has a great checklist?
    2011 or 2012?

Grand Cards is offline MotownSports Fan

Default 2012 Checklist

Work in progress, as always. Hiatus be damned. Just because I'm not blogging anymore doesn't mean I'm not collecting!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...k45TFJQaEVkRHc
    formerly dtdan on the Detroit Sports Collectorts Forum
    Visit the Grand Cards blog for Tigers checklists, images and commentary.

I was sorry to see your blog retire, but now you should post here more often!

John_Brian_K is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

A question for all you guys..

I used to collect big when I was younger and have a tone of sets I pieced together from individual packs. Anyway...I was looking to try and get full sets from 2000-current and started looking on Amazon and pieced together all those sets for around 660.00. Does that seem high or low to you guys?

Full sets some say 'hobby baseball' while most just say full set. Is there a difference?

Thanks.
    "And that is part of the larger pattern of the appeal of a new online collectivism that is nothing less than a resurgence of the idea that the collective is all-wise, that it is desirable to have influence concentrated in a bottleneck that can channel the collective with the most verity and force."

Quote Originally Posted by John_Brian_K View Post
    A question for all you guys..

I used to collect big when I was younger and have a tone of sets I pieced together from individual packs. Anyway...I was looking to try and get full sets from 2000-current and started looking on Amazon and pieced together all those sets for around 660.00. Does that seem high or low to you guys?

Full sets some say 'hobby baseball' while most just say full set. Is there a difference?

Thanks.
    660/11 is 60 per, which sounds about (maybe somewhat high) what you could expect to pay retail for a factory set somewhere like Target. I would recommend eBay - you should be able to do better there, but be careful of pricey S&H. Also know that if you buy a factory set, it will only include Series 1 and 2 and not the third release (currently called Update or US).

I don't know what a "hobby" designation would mean on a set. When you see "hobby" box/pack, those are the boxes/packs only sold at hobby shops, shows and online and the "hit" rate of high-end autos, inserts, etc, is greater than the "retail" boxes/packs that are sold at general retailers like Target and Meijer.

Default eBay

Los Gatos pegged it. $60/each seems a bit steep, but itsn't crazy for a sealed factory set from Amazon. "Hobby" probably refers to the type of set and gives an indication of the "bonus" cards that may be included. There are occasionally also "Holiday" or team specific editions. As Los Gatos said, these sets only include Series 1 & 2 and not any "Update" cards.

I recommend going the hand collated route or eBay for factory sets. The very good blog "Wrigley Wax" (Cubs) keeps an inventory of complete set prices that could be useful. He looks at the last 3 months and the 12 month moving average. I think you'll find that you can pick up sets for much less than Amazon.

Wrigley Wax: Topps 1969 - 2011 Complete Set Prices

All that said, I have a complete 2005 factory set that I'd be happy to sell you. It was a factory set that I opened to pull out the five bonus cards inside, but I've never touched the rest of the cards themselves. $20 and it's yours.

Target had them out when I stopped by this evening. After opening a few packs, my impression of the base cards is pretty good - not great, not bad. It's a simple, clean design and will be nice for autographs. The Tigers' blue logo and orange swoosh look nice. Only 1 Tiger so far - Boesch, and it's a really great photo. My knock is that they're focusing even more on inserts (if that's possible), and I've come to detest inserts. 2 cards out of 12 in these retail packs are inserts, and that's too excessive, IMO.

Blog Entries

660/11 is 60 per, which sounds about (maybe somewhat high) what you could expect to pay retail for a factory set somewhere like Target. I would recommend eBay - you should be able to do better there, but be careful of pricey S&H. Also know that if you buy a factory set, it will only include Series 1 and 2 and not the third release (currently called Update or US).

I don't know what a "hobby" designation would mean on a set. When you see "hobby" box/pack, those are the boxes/packs only sold at hobby shops, shows and online and the "hit" rate of high-end autos, inserts, etc, is greater than the "retail" boxes/packs that are sold at general retailers like Target and Meijer.
    Thank you very much.

So much easier to collect full sets now when I can afford it. Piecing together a full set (which I think I was only able to accomplish once as a kid) is soo hard to do. Taking my allowance money and blowing it all on packs, sitting on the curb looking through all the cards I just bought, chewing the gum, and then taking them all back home and checking off the cards I just got on my home made checklist of the numbers of the cards I still needed and packing away my doubles. Such a cool time in my life, but now all I have to do is buy the whole set which I could NEVER in a million years afford when I was a kid.

Saving up to go buy the plastic sheets to put the cards in and trying to find an old binder to put them in was another favorite thing of mine to do. Such an adventure walking up to the strip mall to go to the store there and buy packs and go to the only store where I could buy the plastic sheets individually....sitting there doing the math in my head trying to figure out how many sheets I could get, how many cards it would hold and trying to save a little so I could get another pack or 2...or maybe a pop.

I lived in Warrendale as a kid and we had to walk through the woods to get to the Target strip mall on Ford Rd that had just opened up when I was around that age...so the whole thing was a big adventure. Going to my buddies house, getting ready, walking up to the woods, getting to the Mansfield Trail, the walk through the woods, getting to Ford Rd and playing frogger to get across (figuratively) and finally getting to the store and getting everything we wanted.

Such a cool time. So damn nostalgic.
    "And that is part of the larger pattern of the appeal of a new online collectivism that is nothing less than a resurgence of the idea that the collective is all-wise, that it is desirable to have influence concentrated in a bottleneck that can channel the collective with the most verity and force."

Good stuff, thanks for sharing. My memories are of riding my bike to Stroh's Ice Cream in the late 70's to mid 80's for packs and occasionally boxes. Boxes were like $5 back then. Building sets was much simpler then. One release, no inserts. Now it's a mess, frankly, which is why I only focus on building the Tigers team sets and pick up packs on occasion just for fun.

As for the new Topps, I brought a few packs with me today to make work fun and so far have pulled Porcello, Cabrera LL (BA) and a funky golden Delmon Young. This isn't the regular gold parallel - it appears to be this year's version of last year's "sparkle" parallel.

Anyone have word on Tiger autos in S1? I haven't spent a lot of time on eBay yet, but did see a Cabrera auto last night. Hopefully it's not a short print, and therefore more affordable than his '11 US auto, which I haven't and probably won't obtain.

Yeah, Topps discountinued the regular Gold cards this year and replaced them with the "Golden Moments" parallel--like last year's "Platinum Diamond" parallel. It seems strange that in a year when they're pushing the Gold theme that they get rid of that parallel, but whatever.

So far the only Tiger auto I've seen in S1 is Cabrera. There have been two listed on ebay. My gut says it will be about as common as it was last year and will probably go for $40+. Checklists I've seen suggest the only other autograph is a dual signed Nolan Ryan/Justin Verlander (dear god that will be expensive). Baseballcardpedia has the best rundown that I've seen yet: 2012 Topps Series One - BaseballCardPedia.com

Blog Entries

Good stuff, thanks for sharing. My memories are of riding my bike to Stroh's Ice Cream in the late 70's to mid 80's for packs and occasionally boxes. Boxes were like $5 back then. Building sets was much simpler then. One release, no inserts. Now it's a mess, frankly, which is why I only focus on building the Tigers team sets and pick up packs on occasion just for fun.

As for the new Topps, I brought a few packs with me today to make work fun and so far have pulled Porcello, Cabrera LL (BA) and a funky golden Delmon Young. This isn't the regular gold parallel - it appears to be this year's version of last year's "sparkle" parallel.

Anyone have word on Tiger autos in S1? I haven't spent a lot of time on eBay yet, but did see a Cabrera auto last night. Hopefully it's not a short print, and therefore more affordable than his '11 US auto, which I haven't and probably won't obtain.
    I recall a couple times as a kid saving money up and buying a whole box of cards....those days were AMAZING. Taking home the whole box. Not sure why, but I never even considered buying the whole sets back then.

I really want the whole sets just so I can get all the Tigers players this past decade...I plan on trying to do something cool with them...mounting them and displaying them in the man room (when I get one) maybe putting each card in a plastic sleeve and hanging them from the ceiling from fishing line or something so you can look at the stats on the back....having a whole little area where there is nothing but playing cards hanging from the ceiling always seemed like a cool idea to me. So you have to kind of hunt through all of them (pack them kind of tight so you do not take up the whole room) to find the player you want to check out. etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Grand Cards View Post
    So far the only Tiger auto I've seen in S1 is Cabrera. There have been two listed on ebay. My gut says it will be about as common as it was last year and will probably go for $40+.[/url]
    $40 would be do-able, but I didn't see his '11 US auto go for less than $100, except maybe early on. That's a shame about the gold - I actually like the traditional gold limited run parallels, with the additional "X number of years of Topps" script. Thanks for the link - I had forgotten about that site.

Quote Originally Posted by John_Brian_K View Post
    I really want the whole sets just so I can get all the Tigers players this past decade.
    In that case, I recommend just buying the Tigers team sets. Search eBay for "2011 Topps Tigers set" (or whatever years you want) and you'll find multiple listings for every recent year and will save a ton of money compared to the entire factory set. Plus you can get the update sets and even dabble with the inserts and still save big $. And if you need cheap singles to fill in any sets, try sportlots.com or justcommons.com.

I'll also add that I only collect the regular Topps set and with any card set, there will be some omitted players that other sets include. So if your focus is to build as many of the players possible, spend some time looking on eBay at the other brands and sets as well. Maybe pull the rosters from those years and search players. Examples are Topps Heritage, Allen & Ginter, Gypsy Queen, Bowman. And going back just a few years, we still had Upper Deck, Donruss, Fleer and Score. And you can find cards of many of the minor league prospects in sets like Bowman, Topps Pro Debut, Topps Heritage Minors and Donruss Elite Edition.

Fantastic. Thanks.

Dirk Diggler is offline MotownSports Fan

Bought 2 "mini" boxes at walmart today. Finished with these 3 Tiger cards and a Verlander ERA card with 2 other guys. I don't buy a lot of packs, but I kinda like the mini boxes. I think it was 72 cards for $9.99 compared to the 81 in a blaster for $19.99. I didn't read all the odds on the inserts, so that may be the difference. Cards were all cut great and centered, pics just didn't turn out well.

Adopt-a-Tiger: 08' Lucas French, 09' Andrew Oliver 1-0 vs NCAA, 10' Daniel Fields

Adopt-a-Lion: 08' Dan Orlovsky, 09' Jeff Backus

Addition to the base checklist above - Jhonny Peralta #54, which I pulled this morning (opening packs at work is fun!).

Other random notes. There appear to be no ToppsTown cards this year. Regarding insert cards, the Target packs I opened had 2 per pack and my Meijer packs just had 1 (so 10 base cards at Target and 11 at Meijer). Lastly, this year's giveaway program cards have small photos of regular player cards like last year - if you spot any Tigers on those cards, please post it here.

Dirk, I agree that the mini boxes (blisters, I think they're called) offer the best value of the retail products. They're the same price per card as rack (hanger) packs, and lower than individual packs and much lower than blaster boxes. The blister advantage over racks is they're protected from pack-searchers. I bought 1 blister and and some packs just for the fun of opening more things. In the end, I probably would have been better off buying a hobby box.

A thing on the Blasters or mini-boxes: At Target and Wal-Mart there are actually two different types, a regular one and one that is labeled with a "Look for exclusive..." wording and logo on them. The latter boxes will include a two packs (I think) of retail specific parallels. At Target, these are the red bordered cards. At Wal-Mart these are the blue borders. These effectively replace the "All Black" and "Throwback" parallels from the last couple years, and have the added bonus of being obvious before you buy the box.

So, if you'd don't care about parallels and just want the regular cards, avoid the specially marked boxes.

I love Topps cards - they are mostly the only thing I collect. But I also like to complain about them. In Series 1, what's really irking me (among other things) is the Delmon Young card. It's his 1st Tigers card since coming over from the Twins, and what are we blinded by in the photo? A massive Twins World Series logo. Come on! Surely there were other photos to choose from!

Lastly, this year's giveaway program cards have small photos of regular player cards like last year - if you spot any Tigers on those cards, please post it here.
    Got a Cabrera one!

I've noticed some players have triple variations this year - Pablo Sandoval for one, can't remember the other I saw. Those (and double variations - like the Skip squirrel card) appear to be this year's SP's (rather than legend SP's). I have not seen any Tiger SP's - anyone else come across one?

Dave or anyone else, if you come up with an extra Cabrera code card and would trade, please let me know. Redeem the code - I don't care about that - I just want one of the cards. Also still need one of the V-Mart code cards from last year if anyone has an extra.

No Tigers SPs in Series 1--you're right, these are in place of the Legends of the past few years. 20 total SP cards plus SSP of Pujols and Reyes in their new uniforms.

Checklist (w/images) of SP cards:
    2012 Topps Series 1 Baseball Short Prints Checklist, Info and Gallery
    Last edited by Grand Cards; 02-03-2012 at 02:02 PM.

Thanks for the link. Hosmer is the other triple variation I forgot before. Those don't appear to be noted in that article unless I overlooked them. I've seen 3 Hosmer cards (fist in air, gatorade, dugout) and 3 Sandoval cards (mascot, different mascot, fielding). Don't know if there are other players with 3.

I went to 2 local monthly shows this morning and for less than $8, picked up multiples of every base Tigers card, the Cabrera code card, every Tiger insert I needed except one, and a few miscellaneous cards. I finally have to stop buying retail packs. I could get the Cabrera auto online for less than what I spent earlier this week on packs, which is essentially a stack of junk because I don't build the full sets. Hobby packs were selling for $2 at both shows - the same as retail packs in the stores.

If anyone comes up with an extra GG16 - Cobb Golden Greats, please let me know if you want to trade. I have an extra GS12 Kaline Gold Standards and extras of all the base, as well as the non-Tigers I opened earlier.

Also looking to trade for the base Mantle #7. I can trade the Kaline insert mentioned above, extra Tiger base and non-Tiger base, inserts and gold parallel.

Dirk Diggler is offline MotownSports Fan

The dual signed relic redemption of Verlander and Ryan has surfaced on EBAY........

2012 Topps Timeless Talents Dual Autograph Relic Nolan Ryan Justin Verlander #/5 | eBay
    Adopt-a-Tiger: 08' Lucas French, 09' Andrew Oliver 1-0 vs NCAA, 10' Daniel Fields

Adopt-a-Lion: 08' Dan Orlovsky, 09' Jeff Backus

Just ended a hair shy of $630. It's a redemption, so if I'm the buyer I would hold out hope that the two autographs are signed on-card. If so, this could be a real beauty and might even come close to being worth the price (ok, probably not), considering the quality and fame of the two pitchers. If this is a dual sticker auto then I think the new owner is getting fleeced.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast