Los Gatos is offline MotownSports Fan

Default 2010 Topps Series 2

Yes, Series 1 jumbos aren't even out til next week, but here's an early look at Series 2!

First look: 2010 Topps Series 2 baseball cards The Beckett Blog

Topps released the basic set information and preview images for its second series of 2010 Baseball cards on Friday, just days after the arrival of the first series.

Scheduled to arrive on May 24, the second series will include 330 more cards with 20 more photo variation cards those will be limited to just 3,000 copies per card.

Each 36-pack hobby box will include one autograph or Relic card, while HTA Jumbo boxes will include three.

While the set will largely continue where Series 1 started, there are a few new features, including the Topps 2020 inserts and Topps Vintage Legends Collection.

Also back will be 10 Red Hot Rookie cards, which have been a staple of the second series for the last few years.

Tiger-in-the-Desert is offline MotownSports Fan

Los Gatos,
    I am new to your forum, sure do like your Adopted Tiger. He has the type of hitting that people notice and that makes for a fun game to watch! Looking forward to see what he brings to Spring Training this year and where they will settle him in defensively. I was surprised like you said that he was around for you to adopt at 91. Good Luck! My question is how will we know what players might be included in the Topps cards. I would like to start collecting some of these minor hopefuls like Nowlin and a few of the boys from the Whitecaps as they work their way up the ladder. Helpful advice always accepted. Thanks....

Welcome to MTS, Tiger-in-the-Desert.

Topps is no longer allowed to include players in its MLB sets who have not appeared in an MLB game. For better or for worse, this change was instituted a couple of years ago. There's really no way to know what players will be included in a given set until the checklist is released. Topps puts an early version out on its website and there are always some changes when the cards finally come out.

Good news, in my opinion, is that Topps has a new minor league set coming out in March called Topps Pro Debut - there's a separate thread about it here, including a Tiger checklist and link to the full initial checklist. Prospect cards can also be found in sets like Tristar, and Bowman Draft Picks & Prospects.

Minor league teams have had sets for years, including West Michigan in 2009, which includes a Billy Nowlin card. I believe that's his only card so far. Sometimes the sets are broken up and you can find single cards on eBay, but right now the Nowlin's only available in the set (link below). In addition to eBay, lots of times the sets can be purchased directly from the team websites as well as in person at their ballparks.

2009 WEST MICHIGAN WHITECAPS TEAM SET ** TIGERS*A* - eBay (item 190335697095 end time Feb-13-10 14:54:31 PST)

detroittigerfan is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger-in-the-Desert View Post
    Los Gatos,
    I am new to your forum, sure do like your Adopted Tiger. He has the type of hitting that people notice and that makes for a fun game to watch! Looking forward to see what he brings to Spring Training this year and where they will settle him in defensively. I was surprised like you said that he was around for you to adopt at 91. Good Luck! My question is how will we know what players might be included in the Topps cards. I would like to start collecting some of these minor hopefuls like Nowlin and a few of the boys from the Whitecaps as they work their way up the ladder. Helpful advice always accepted. Thanks....
    Tiger-In-The-Desert,

I live in the Grand Rapids area, and attend a lot of WhiteCaps games each year. I also collect autographs, and get a lot of autographs for other Tiger/WhiteCap fans, who in turn help me out in their respective areas. I have a 2009 WhiteCaps card signed by Billy Nowlin, and spent some time talking with his father last year after the games. Send me a private message with your email address, and I will email a scan of Nowlin's card to you.

thanks, detroittigerfan

davidsb is offline MotownSports Fan

Preliminary:
    408 Team Card
    425 Willis
    441 Thomas
    459 Zumaya
    521 Bonderman
    523 Coke
    526 Guillen
    530 Ni
    623 Cabrera
    636 Verlander/Porcello

Several cards are TBD for rookies. There is also a Kaline 'Your mother threw out' and a cool Cobb 1956 card.

Grand Cards is offline MotownSports Fan

Here's a cool new site that has a full prelim. checklist up: Baseballcardpedia: Topps Series 2
    Of note, there is a Cobb SP that substitutes for Ni. There are also some really good looking Tiger inserts, including some killer Autographs (Kell!) and Relics (Kaline/Cabrera Dual).
    formerly dtdan on the Detroit Sports Collectorts Forum
    Visit the Grand Cards blog for Tigers checklists, images and commentary.

It will be absolutely ludicrious if Willis is in S2 but Scherzer and Valverde are not. There is a lot of time before S2 and a lot of new Tigers so I'll be disappointed if we don't see substantial changes from the prelim list.

S2 hobby will have the Red Hot Rookie redemptions again. With Sizemore and Jackson, we have 2 pretty good chances of having one in there this time. Of course I thought the same thing with Porcello and Perry last year... As bad as Topps' base set player selection is, their Red Hot selection is even worse.

I don't want another Cobb SP. Having Greenberg in S1 is awesome and they should keep changing players each series instead of recycling.

* I just noticed Scherzer is listed as having an auto, along with Kell. That full auto lineup is impressive. The Tigers have a ton of cap logo cards. I despise manufactured "relic" cards, but I'll admit I love the cap logo cards. What would really be cool is if they mix it up with some of the away orange logos.
    Last edited by Los Gatos; 02-02-2010 at 09:44 AM.

Yeah, is anybody else totally Cobb-ed out? I understand that he was the marquee Tiger in the CMG agreement, but golly, it's not like he's the only good player this franchise has ever had.

I'm in agreement about manufactured patches--I tend to dislike them. I think the cap logos are cool, but i worry about there being WAY too many of them with little difference from one to another. I think that the commemorative patches in blasters are fantastic--exactly what manufactured patches should be--with the exception that they used the same Hank Greenberg patch in Series 1 that they used in last year's U&H Ugh.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see how that checklist changes and fleshes out as the cards are released. It could be a tough master set to collect, after what appears to be a relatively reasonable Series 1 for Tiger fans.
    Last edited by Grand Cards; 02-02-2010 at 02:21 PM. Reason: formatting

Topps + good idea = massive oversaturation. Cobb is overplayed, that's why the Greenberg SP is refreshing, and they should continue with one of the other many fantastic classic Tigers. I'd like to see someone like Tommy Bridges or Bobby Veach. Teach the newer fans and collectors about some great old players rather than rehashing the same guys over and over and over.

With the cap logos, I'll shoot to pick up just one from S1 or S2. I've seen Verlander and Cabrera go in the low-mid $20's. For a fake relic, I'll bite the bullet once (twice if they add an away version) because it looks so cool, but I don't anticipate picking up all of them.

Okay, I'd still like to see more player-selection rotation, but I'm in love with this Cobb card from S2.

Agreed--that is one beautiful card. I think that's of the "Legends Vintage" insert set, or something to that effect.

The Drizz is offline MotownSports Fan

hell yes, hell yes, hell yes!!!! i thought for sure from the preliminary checklist that the tigers were gonna get hosed in series 2, but now i can't wait!

Last edited by The Drizz; 05-20-2010 at 04:34 PM.

I ran by Target last night to see if retail had an early release, but nothing yet. Series 1 was even cleared out. The Million Card giveaway seems to have 2010 Topps jumping, although my S1 redemptions were so forgettable that I have, in fact, forgotten who they were.

Nice! I love the Jackson! You knew that they were going to have to include both of them in Series 2 a la Porcello and Perry last year. Don't be surprised if Brennan Bosch is given a "Red Hot Rookie" card since he's (probably) not in the base set.

I can't wait!!

Zack attack is offline MotownSports Fan

well, Jackson and Sizemore won't be an RHR since they are in the series two set. If you don't see Boesch in series two, he will without a doubt be in U&H.
    AAT: 2011 E. Young (67th) | 2012 B. Inge (24th)/B. Eldred/Q. Berry | 2013 M. Henneman (84th) | 2014 A. Jackson (22nd)/D. Price

I just noticed Cobb is on S2 wrappers.

The Drizz is offline MotownSports Fan

just got my team set today (looks great, but what's with topps and clete thomas cards?) anyhoo, is it too early to start talking about updates and highlights? ;)

BoomGaspar is offline MotownSports Fan

Did we not get a team checklist for series 2, or did I miss it?

jimtigers65 is offline MotownSports Fan

Went to the local card show in Sacramento on Sunday and picked up the following Tigers;
    2010 peak performance Cabrera, Kaline, Kell, Verlander, Ordonez
    2010 legendary lineage Kaline/Cabrera, Ryan/Verlander
    2010 vintage legends Ty Cobb
    2010 turkey red Kaline, Ordonez
    2010 cards your mom threw out Kaline, Verlander, Porcello
    Attax Verlander, Scherzer
    11 Tiger gold cards (various years)

DaveSB, sending a nice care package your way

NUTS is offline MotownSports Fan

Got this one in a pack from Meijer today...
    True to the Honolulu Blue

I just noticed Boesch is Red Hot Rookie Redemption #3.

.::TOPPS::. Sports Home

Johnny Mac is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Los Gatos View Post

Better than the only Boesch card I have, which claims he is a Padre

2007 BOWMAN CHROME BRENNAN BOESCH SAN DIEGO PADRES RC - eBay (item 120597320311 end time Jul-24-10 19:15:16 PDT)
    2010 AAL Louis Delmas - 84 tackles 2 sacks 2 FF - Pro Bowl Alternate
    2010 AAW Johan Franzen (Mule) - 76 games 28 goals 27 assists +5
    2011 AAT Jhonny Peralta .324/.359/.500 1 HR 4 RBI

Quote Originally Posted by Los Gatos View Post

My Boesch RHR redemption arrived yesterday, quite a bit earlier than the estimate on the Topps site. It's a chrome-style card. I don't remember them being that way in previous years, but could be mistaken. Nice card.

Zack attack is offline MotownSports Fan

Los Gatos, they have chrome since they began in 08. They 09 were worse on my scanner, as you can tell. Also, I've been doing the sets every year and just need #1 from this year (former Loon Carlos Santana) as I lucked out with my two #10's this year. Here's the 2008 and 2009 sets for your viewing pleasure:

Red Hot Rookies PC pictures by tigsfan - Photobucket

I did pick up two #3's this year, one for the RHR set and one for the Tigers collection.
    AAT: 2011 E. Young (67th) | 2012 B. Inge (24th)/B. Eldred/Q. Berry | 2013 M. Henneman (84th) | 2014 A. Jackson (22nd)/D. Price

Cool, I guess I just forgot about the chrome aspect. I have a couple from '08 and '09 but haven't looked at them in a long time. I'm just happy a Tiger made the RHR set this year.