Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    detroittigerfan is offline MotownSports Fan

Default JANUARY 2013 SUCCESSES

I will start the New Year with an incredible success I had yesterday. DavidSB (aka as "Sy") and I went to the home of a lifetime collector who is selling his huge collection of autographed index cards at excellent prices. I bought 31 index cards of deceased Tigers, most of whom I never had before, and in turn I gave them to Dave to turn into baseball cards; however, my cache is small compared to what Dave got! I will post them once I get them back from Dave. He also gave me the following amazing cards that he made up from index cards that I gave him previously:

WOODIE FRYMAN, JIM FOOR, LENNY GREEN, FRANK BOLLING, GATES BROWN, JOHN GAMBLE, JACK FELLER, FRED GLADDING, LARRY FOSTER, TED GRAY, DICK GERNERT, JOE GINSBERG, PHIL CAVARRETTA (coach), STEVE DEMETER, TITO FRANCONA, RED BOROM, PURNAL GOLDY, WALT DROPO, TERRY FOX, CHIEF HOGSETT, DOC CRAMER, CARL MCNABB, MARV GRISSSOM, ALEX GRAMMAS (COACH), TITO FRANCONA, TED GRAY, SCOTT FLETCHER, GEORGE FREESE, VAN FLETCHER, RAY HAYWORTH, MARK GRATER, PAUL FOYTACK, SETH GREISINGER, FLOYD GIEBELL, BILL CONSOLO (coach), ROGER CRAIG (coach), JOHN GRUBB, FIRE TRUCKS, BILL GILBRETH, MARTY CASTILLO, ROD ALLEN, AND LARRY HERNDON.

Many of these Tigers never had a Tiger card, or in some instances a baseball card, that is until "Sy" came along! Included both are 15 cards of deceased players, and 20 cards of players who played on a Tiger championship team (world series, AL pennant, or division).

I wlll have Mark post these cards once I get my scanner working. Thanks again, Dave, for a great day; we make a great team!
    Last edited by detroittigerfan; 01-01-2013 at 11:02 AM.

davidsb is offline MotownSports Fan

Yes, very successful trip. Here is the pile I walked away with, 150 or so. Should keep me busy for the next 6-8 months (true story). Thanks Dave!

Quote Originally Posted by davidsb View Post
    Yes, very successful trip. Here is the pile I walked away with, 150 or so. Should keep me busy for the next 6-8 months (true story). Thanks Dave!

Hopefully, with more yet to come! I will work on it.

Can't wait to post your works of art, so others can also enjoy it. (First got to get that scanner problem fixed!)

Forgot to mention a Christmas present my wife bought me! It was a National League baseball signed by OCTAVIO DOTEL on the sweet spot; my wife bought it at a shop in Brooklyn, NY that I visit whenever I see my son.

Dotel, of course, holds the major league record for playing for the most teams, 13. He set the record last year when he played in his first game as a Tiger.

My first TTM in a while plus one from detroittigersfan:

mbrieve is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by detroittigerfan View Post
    I will start the New Year with an incredible success I had yesterday. DavidSB (aka as "Sy") and I went to the home of a lifetime collector who is selling his huge collection of autographed index cards at excellent prices. I bought 31 index cards of deceased Tigers, most of whom I never had before, and in turn I gave them to Dave to turn into baseball cards; however, my cache is small compared to what Dave got! I will post them once I get them back from Dave. He also gave me the following amazing cards that he made up from index cards that I gave him previously:

WOODIE FRYMAN, JIM FOOR, LENNY GREEN, FRANK BOLLING, GATES BROWN, JOHN GAMBLE, JACK FELLER, FRED GLADDING, LARRY FOSTER, TED GRAY, DICK GERNERT, JOE GINSBERG, PHIL CAVARRETTA (coach), STEVE DEMETER, TITO FRANCONA, RED BOROM, PURNAL GOLDY, WALT DROPO, TERRY FOX, CHIEF HOGSETT, DOC CRAMER, CARL MCNABB, MARV GRISSSOM, ALEX GRAMMAS (COACH), TITO FRANCONA, TED GRAY, SCOTT FLETCHER, GEORGE FREESE, VAN FLETCHER, RAY HAYWORTH, MARK GRATER, PAUL FOYTACK, SETH GREISINGER, FLOYD GIEBELL, BILL CONSOLO (coach), ROGER CRAIG (coach), JOHN GRUBB, FIRE TRUCKS, BILL GILBRETH, MARTY CASTILLO, ROD ALLEN, AND LARRY HERNDON.

Many of these Tigers never had a Tiger card, or in some instances a baseball card, that is until "Sy" came along! Included both are 15 cards of deceased players, and 20 cards of players who played on a Tiger championship team (world series, AL pennant, or division).

I wlll have Mark post these cards once I get my scanner working. Thanks again, Dave, for a great day; we make a great team!

peze23 is offline MotownSports Fan

Alex Johnson, via the Redford show. He was a lot of fun to talk to. I had asked him if this was one of his favorite cards, which showcased how he beat out the great Yaz (barely) for the AL Batting Title. He reminisced of some great memories of Yaz and meeting him and others at the ASG that season. Always nice to get an athlete who genuinely looks to be grateful and happy to meet the fans and share some stories.

I also got Willie Horton's sig on a hat for my son. Mr. Horton was the polar opposite - grumpy. Must have caught him on a bad day.

2014 AAT: Tyler Collins
    2013 AAT: Octavio Dotel

Very cool, thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by peze23 View Post
    Alex Johnson, via the Redford show. He was a lot of fun to talk to. I had asked him if this was one of his favorite cards, which showcased how he beat out the great Yaz (barely) for the AL Batting Title. He reminisced of some great memories of Yaz and meeting him and others at the ASG that season. Always nice to get an athlete who genuinely looks to be grateful and happy to meet the fans and share some stories.

I also got Willie Horton's sig on a hat for my son. Mr. Horton was the polar opposite - grumpy. Must have caught him on a bad day.

Dirk Diggler is offline MotownSports Fan

Today's IP success from Tigertown........

Victor Martinez 1/1 - 2011 Team Photo (only the 2 most difficult to go lol)

Adopt-a-Tiger: 08' Lucas French, 09' Andrew Oliver 1-0 vs NCAA, 10' Daniel Fields

Adopt-a-Lion: 08' Dan Orlovsky, 09' Jeff Backus

Los Gatos is offline MotownSports Fan

TTM today:

* Adam Everett, 1/1, 11 days

Zack attack is offline MotownSports Fan

From a trade that came in today: Sid Monge, Rusty Kuntz, Rich Becker, Matt Nokes

I also sent out an Adam Everett request today, but didn't have a Tigers card to send him. Luckily I got him on one at TigerFest a few years ago.
    AAT: 2011 E. Young (67th) | 2012 B. Inge (24th)/B. Eldred/Q. Berry | 2013 M. Henneman (84th) | 2014 A. Jackson (22nd)/D. Price

stanpapi is offline MotownSports Fan

I didn't necessarily think Willie was grumpy at VFW, but he wasn't very talkative. I got there near the end so maybe he was just getting worn out.

Quote Originally Posted by stanpapi View Post
    I didn't necessarily think Willie was grumpy at VFW, but he wasn't very talkative. I got there near the end so maybe he was just getting worn out.
    He took a bathroom break right after my son and I got a picture with him. Maybe he wasn't talking because he just had to go, lol.

Sean Casey cards c/o charity private signing. Big thanks to Los Gatos for the tip! I usually don't send anything TTM, but I had a couple good Casey cards on hand and figured it was well-worth the charitable donation.

jimtigers65 is offline MotownSports Fan

Made a trade on SCN, picked up the following Detroit Tiger autographs;

Kenny Baugh, 2002 Tigers prospect
    Hiram Bocachica
    Ben Blomdahl
    Alex Gomez
    Jimmy Hurst
    Jeff Jones, London Tigers coaches card

Some tough signatures (Blomdahl) so I'm quite happy with this trade.

hueytaxi is online now MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post

Carry a Pebble Beach Fan sign! Did not make it today and will be out there a couple times this week I hope. Today I had old friends in all day.
    Live your life for what it can be and not for what it was.

MMXIV AAT: KYLE RYAN
    VT

Sean Casey cards c/o charity private signing.
    Cool. I didn't get in on it, but it looks like an annual signing so hopefully next year.

SCN purchase:

* Frank Catalanotto
    * Lynn Jones
    * Demetrius Heath
    * Juan Gonzalez

vannzee is offline MotownSports Fan

Non-Tiger and non-baseball but Piston's rookie Kyle Singler at Meijers, signed two 8X10's and two magazines.

Also, for x-mas I got a Super Bowl XL mini helmet signed by Braylon Edwards.

Plus 8x10's from Tony Pike (former UC Bearcat star), WR Mardy Gilyard (NFL wideout), OL Mike Brewster (OSU/NFL lineman), 1B Yonder Alonso, NFL TE Jake Ballard, NFL WR Jerome Simpson, NFL QB Kyle Orton (photo of him in a Purdue uni), and former NHL goalie Pascal LaClaire. All those cost me only 20 dollars from Cardboard Heroes.

And 8x10's via DC Sports of Porcello, Boesch and my Dads favorite Jake Wood.
    AAT 2013- SP D. Below 2012- RP R. Weinhardt 2011- CF A. Jackson 2010- SP D. Below 2009- INF Justin Henry 2008- RP Jeremy Johnson
    AAL TE Joe "Happy Feet" Fauria

jimtb is offline MotownSports Fan

[QUOTE=Los Gatos;2860393]TTM today:

* Adam Everett, 1/1, 11 daysQUOTE]

Did you use his home address? I need him!

jimtb is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post

This looks awsome!! Maggs will be tough...

jimtb, just sent you a pm.

Quote Originally Posted by jimtb View Post
    This looks awsome!! Maggs will be tough...
    Thanks! I think it may be easier to track down Maggs in a foreign country than to get JV to sign. :)
    Adopt-a-Tiger: 08' Lucas French, 09' Andrew Oliver 1-0 vs NCAA, 10' Daniel Fields

The Tigers organization liked Billy Hitchcock and believed the affable Alabaman had a future in the game. They appointed him as manager of their Triple A farm club in Buffalo (International League) for one season, 1954, and then brought him to Detroit as a coach. He stayed in that position for the next seven years under six different managers. In 1960 the Tigers and Cleveland pulled off one of the strangest deals in baseball history, trading managers. Jimmy Dykes left Detroit for Cleveland, and Joe Gordon came to the Tigers. Detroit had a game to play before Gordon could reach the club, and Hitchcock managed for one game, a Tigers 12-2 victory over the Yankees on August 3, 1960.

Billy Hitchcock (see above) just became the first manager in baseball history to have a manager card after managing one game for a team, in this case for the Bengals! He earned it, since he retired as a Tiger manager with a 1.000 winning percentage! Too bad the card was printed about six years after he passed away.

For historical accuracy, he did manage the Orioles and the Braves for two seasons each in the '60's. I think he had manager cards for these teams also.

Spahn and Sain and pray for rain.

Quote Originally Posted by davidsb View Post
    The Tigers organization liked Billy Hitchcock and believed the affable Alabaman had a future in the game. They appointed him as manager of their Triple A farm club in Buffalo (International League) for one season, 1954, and then brought him to Detroit as a coach. He stayed in that position for the next seven years under six different managers. In 1960 the Tigers and Cleveland pulled off one of the strangest deals in baseball history, trading managers. Jimmy Dykes left Detroit for Cleveland, and Joe Gordon came to the Tigers. Detroit had a game to play before Gordon could reach the club, and Hitchcock managed for one game, a Tigers 12-2 victory over the Yankees on August 3, 1960.
    Great story, thanks for sharing!

ryan14 is offline MotownSports Fan

Tim Belcher 1/1 - 114 days. Thought this one was a write-off.

Finally!
    Received my first TTM for 2013; Eddie Gaillard who played for Detroit in 1997. I was surprised this one made it back because the envelope wasn't sealed. He didn't sign the custom card that I sent, instead sent a card of him playing in the Mariners organization.

In addition I received the following Tiger autographs this weekend via a trade on SCN;

Wilson Betemit
    Vic Darensbourg
    John DeSilva
    Shane Loux
    Jose Mesa
    David Pauley
    Dan Sardinha
    Alex Sanchez
    Jay Sborz
    Jarrod Washburn

vannzee is offline MotownSports Fan

Numerous autographs from Jason Kipnis, Zach McAllister, Drew Stubbs, Terry Francona, Carlos Santana, Fransisco Lindor, Cody Allen, Lonnie Chisenhall, Mike Aviles, Carlos Carrasco, and Vinnie Pastano. Also a Travis Hafner baseball.
    AAT 2013- SP D. Below 2012- RP R. Weinhardt 2011- CF A. Jackson 2010- SP D. Below 2009- INF Justin Henry 2008- RP Jeremy Johnson
    AAL TE Joe "Happy Feet" Fauria

KCFITZ78 is offline MotownSports Fan

I received 5 of 6 cards TTM signed by Al Kaline on Friday 1/18/13. My question is does Al Kaline not sign his 1988 Dominos Pizza 1968 tribute card? I sent six cards and $60, but he did not sign that one card and kept all the money.

Todays IP success from Tigertown......

Victor Martinez - 1/1 8x10
    Al Kaline - 1/1 8x10
    Jacob Thompson - 4/4 cards
    Justin Verlander - 0/1 just waived when asked

I missed Jhonny Peralta by about 20 minutes.

Just got these eight signed custom cards from the Chairman of "The Burns Collection":

Billy Hitchcock (2 cards, including a manager card), Roger Craig, Bill Denehy, '72 Tigers John Knox and Paul Jata, '35 World Champ Elden Auker, and Chuck Daniel. Hitchcock and Auker are deceased. Craig, Denehy, and Daniel never had a Tiger card previously, but they do now!

In case you are new to this board, these are original autographs from my index cards, with a photo placed over the autograph, and then Dave cuts the cards to regular baseball card size (2.5" x 3.5"). Did I explain that right, davidsb?

I will ask Mark to post photos of these incredible cards.

mbrieve is offline MotownSports Fan

Just got these eight signed custom cards from the Chairman of "The Burns Collection":

Billy Hitchcock (2 cards, including a manager card), Roger Craig, Bill Denehy, '72 Tigers John Knox and Paul Jata, '35 World Champ Elden Auker, and Chuck Daniel. Hitchcock and Auker are deceased. Craig, Denehy, and Daniel never had a Tiger card previously, but they do now!

In case you are new to this board, these are original autographs from my index cards, with a photo placed over the autograph, and then Dave cuts the cards to regular baseball card size (2.5" x 3.5"). Did I explain that right, davidsb?

I will ask Mark to post photos of these incredible cards.

Billy Hitchcock (see above) just became the first manager in baseball history to have a manager card after managing one game for a team, in this case for the Bengals! He earned it, since he retired as a Tiger manager with a 1.000 winning percentage! Too bad the card was printed about six years after he passed away.

For historical accuracy, he did manage the Orioles and the Braves for two seasons each in the '60's. I think he had manager cards for these teams also.

Great story, thanks for sharing!
    My pleasure!

Made another trade that enhanced my Tiger autograph collection. Picked up the following Detroit autographs;

Trey Beamon
    Mitch Meluskey
    Sean Runyan
    Kevin Tolar
    Eddie Williams
    Jason Wood

Pretty good start for '13

TTM today:

* Rick Leach, 3/3, 8 days

michblk is offline MotownSports Fan

I gave up on my Belcher quite a few years ago, never received anything.

Quote Originally Posted by ryan14 View Post
    Tim Belcher 1/1 - 114 days. Thought this one was a write-off.

michblk is offline MotownSports Fan

Where do you send your Kalines?

BK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast