Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    tazdmb is offline MotownSports Fan

Default Return of Tigerfest

January 26 @ Comerica Park.

Rumor was some players were going to start charging for autographs, going to charity-we will see

TigerFest back after one-year hiatus; Comerica Park event is Jan. 26 | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com

mbrieve is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by tazdmb View Post
    January 26 @ Comerica Park.

Rumor was some players were going to start charging for autographs, going to charity-we will see

TigerFest back after one-year hiatus; Comerica Park event is Jan. 26 | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com
    I think it is long overdue. Maybe make minor leaguers and 26-40 on the 40-man roster free or extremely inexpensive (like $5 for three autographs), non-starters could be $5-$10 per autograph, starters could be $15-$30, and your major stars could be $50 and up. People will still show up and pay up. I know the card collectors wouldn't like this and I can sympathize, but it has been too crazy the last couple of years.

Dirk Diggler is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by mbrieve View Post
    I think it is long overdue. Maybe make minor leaguers and 26-40 on the 40-man roster free or extremely inexpensive (like $5 for three autographs), non-starters could be $5-$10 per autograph, starters could be $15-$30, and your major stars could be $50 and up. People will still show up and pay up. I know the card collectors wouldn't like this and I can sympathize, but it has been too crazy the last couple of years.
    Or they end up doing it like the Nats, $20 For a wristband to a particular session with 2 players and you have no idea who the players are until you get to your session. Could be Verlander, could be Casey Crosby.
    Adopt-a-Tiger: 08' Lucas French, 09' Andrew Oliver 1-0 vs NCAA, 10' Daniel Fields

Adopt-a-Lion: 08' Dan Orlovsky, 09' Jeff Backus

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Or they end up doing it like the Nats, $20 For a wristband to a particular session with 2 players and you have no idea who the players are until you get to your session. Could be Verlander, could be Casey Crosby.
    Good point. It should be noted that my model is based off reports from TwinsFest. I have read year after year about TwinsFest on the Pat Neshek board and it seems like people are pretty happy with how they run it.

detroittigerfan is offline MotownSports Fan

TigerFan2490 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by detroittigerfan View Post
    Wasn't a ticket $15 last time???

detroittigerfan is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by TigerFan2490 View Post
    Wasn't a ticket $15 last time???
    I don't recall last year's price, but it seems like the ticket prices have been going up every year. Why not raise the price from the viewpoint of the Tigers, if you sell out every year? My comments about "no changes" referred to the format of the event.

stanpapi is offline MotownSports Fan

Personally, from an autograph collector's perspective, I've never gone to this and don't plan to. Why would I wait for hours out in the cold in January for the mere possibility that I might get a player that I have an interest in? I might consider waiting for hours for more certainty that I'd get who I line up for, but the current format has never made sense to me. I suppose there are events for kids, but even so, it's the end of January and it's cold. From an autograph perspective, I'd rather pay more for the certainty of getting who I want. The tigers could make more off of this if they did it right. Presumably they would donate much of that excess to charity, but they haven't quite figured out how to run it yet. Until/if they do, I don't see much reason to attend.

Los Gatos is offline MotownSports Fan

It's silly for this event to be at Comerica. Put it inside at Cobo, JLA or the Marriott. I also think they should go to a 2-day format like the Cubs convention and bring in former players in addition to current. This would make more money for the team, the neighborhood (from people staying overnight), satisfy more fans and probably be less of a cluster. You'd lose the ballpark tours, but maybe they could set up a shuttle for people willing to pay.

stanpapi is offline MotownSports Fan

All excellent ideas, Los Gatos. I am a bit surprised that Ilitch hasn't made this more successful. He is normally an expert marketer. This just is ill conceived- if this were LA or Florida or Arizona, a stadium event during the winter would be fine. Detroit, not so much.

I think they should certainly consider higher priced autograph tickets and donate to charity.

This event is not a priority for the Tigers. If they could get rid of it completely without season ticket and public backlash, they would. Instead they strive for the least pleasant experience possible.

Zack attack is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Los Gatos View Post
    It's silly for this event to be at Comerica. Put it inside at Cobo, JLA or the Marriott.
    They did this before it became 'popular', and thus by having it at CoPa they can sell way way more tickets for it: the primary goal here.

Quote Originally Posted by Los Gatos View Post
    You'd lose the ballpark tours, but maybe they could set up a shuttle for people willing to pay.
    They did this before too, except the shuttle was included in the 'free tours'.
    AAT: 2011 E. Young (67th) | 2012 B. Inge (24th)/B. Eldred/Q. Berry | 2013 M. Henneman (84th) | 2014 A. Jackson (22nd)/D. Price

Doesn't this routinely sellout? I've always thought that it was highly successful. The only folks that I've ever heard of that have a big complaint with it is us autograph collectors and that's not who they throw this gig for.
    Adopt-a-Tiger: 08' Lucas French, 09' Andrew Oliver 1-0 vs NCAA, 10' Daniel Fields

davidsb is offline MotownSports Fan

Should be at Ford Field, could still have tours (at both places).

PuNk42AE is offline MotownSports Fan

But what if there is a playoff game there!?
    VT B.R.B. "We only part to meet again"

2014 AAT: RHP Warwick Saupold

peze23 is offline MotownSports Fan

The only folks that I've ever heard of that have a big complaint with it is us autograph collectors and that's not who they throw this gig for.
    I couldn't agree more with this point. I have no qualms with how this is setup, because it should primarily be for any fan in this area who comes out and supports their team, not just us.

Back in the ol days when it was at Cobo or JLA, I always had a blast. It was nice and warm and I was able to score a ton of autographs. 100 loss teams back then didn't attract the same crowd size... but this team is exciting and popular in recent years, so there is a more diverse crowd and I'm ok with that. It's the price you pay for having a good team. Although I do miss just walking right up to Kimera Bartee with no wait for his autograph. :)

Everyone wins if you extend it to 2 days - graphers and regular fans alike. Limit autos to 1-per and maybe charge a premium for the stars. The current format stunts the revenue potential and the reach.

If only serving Detroit area fans was important, they wouldn't do the caravan. I live in Chicago but they get money from me from cable, merchandise, a portion of my ticket when I see them here, etc. Not to mention when I visit Detroit, Spring Training, the Whitecaps, etc.

I'm not saying it's a bad event - just that it could be better.

peze23 is offline MotownSports Fan

I recently found this picture I took almost 7 years ago from TigerFest 2006. This was one of the last years where you wouldn't have to wait more than 30-40 minutes for an autograph and I managed to score pretty big this year. I think it was also the last year it was at JLA before moving to Comerica. My dad would take my brother and I almost every year. After we went in 2007 to CoPa, we stopped the annual trip after the crowds got too nutso.

Here's the haul I got that day:
    Cards: Placido Polanco, Nate Robertson, Todd Jones, Kyle Sleeth, Justin Verlander, Matt Mantei, Marcus Thames, Jim Leyland, Vance Wilson, Mike Maroth, Don Kelly
    2005 Game Tickets: Jamie 'The Cat' Walker x2
    TigerFest Program: Jason Grilli, Brent Clevlen, Humberto Sanchez, Tony Giarratano, Curtis Granderson
    Rawlings OMLB: Craig Dingman, Chris Spurling, Kody Kirkland, Joel Zumaya, Kyle Sleeth, Vance Wilson

Was a pretty fun day, and some of these players didn't turn out to be too bad.
    2014 AAT: Tyler Collins
    2013 AAT: Octavio Dotel

vannzee is offline MotownSports Fan

Shameless plug but if anyone has spare tickets, please let me know.
    AAT 2013- SP D. Below 2012- RP R. Weinhardt 2011- CF A. Jackson 2010- SP D. Below 2009- INF Justin Henry 2008- RP Jeremy Johnson
    AAL TE Joe "Happy Feet" Fauria

Default Why not us???

Quote Originally Posted by mbrieve View Post
    Good point. It should be noted that my model is based off reports from TwinsFest. I have read year after year about TwinsFest on the Pat Neshek board and it seems like people are pretty happy with how they run it.
    Just saw the info for this year's TwinFest:

3 Days
    Indoors=Warm
    $9 Adults/$5 Kids
    Money goes to charity (not some greedy ghoul of an owner--if the shoe fits Mr. I...)!!!

So, why not us???

That said, see you at Tiger Fest next week!!! By Einstein's definition, I am seriously questionable in the sanity department!

vannzee is offline MotownSports Fan

3 Days
    Indoors=Warm
    $9 Adults/$5 Kids
    Money goes to charity (not some greedy ghoul of an owner--if the shoe fits Mr. I...)!!!

So, why not us???

That said, see you at Tiger Fest next week!!! By Einstein's definition, I am seriously questionable in the sanity department!
    Me and my Indian fan friends are going to Tribefest this weekend. Much, much smaller scale over two days and also indoors. Players signing autographs include Jason Kipnis, Carlos Santana, Vinnie Pestano, Lonnie Chisenhall, Drew Stubbs, Mike Aviles, Carlos Carrasco, Nick Hagadone, Corey Kluber, Zach McAllister and Cody Allen.

If nothing else Ill get some decent autographs.
    AAT 2013- SP D. Below 2012- RP R. Weinhardt 2011- CF A. Jackson 2010- SP D. Below 2009- INF Justin Henry 2008- RP Jeremy Johnson
    AAL TE Joe "Happy Feet" Fauria

bugmanson is offline MotownSports Fan

They released the list of Tigers that will be there.. Only Brayan Villarreal, Avisail Garcia, Omar Infante, & Victor Martinez are not going to be there out of the Big names:

Current Tigers Players: Alex Avila, Al Alburquerque, Duane Below, Joaquin Benoit, Quintin Berry, Brennan Boesch, Miguel Cabrera, Phil Coke, Casey Crosby, Andy Dirks, Octavio Dotel, Darin Downs, Prince Fielder, Doug Fister, Bryan Holaday, Torii Hunter, Austin Jackson, Jeff Kobernus, Kyle Lobstein, Luis Marte, Melvin Mercedes, Brayan Pena, Jhonny Peralta, Rick Porcello, Luke Putkonen, Bruce Rondon, Anibal Sanchez, Ramon Santiago, Max Scherzer, Drew Smyly, Justin Verlander, Danny Worth.

Tigers Coaches: Jim Leyland, Rafael Belliard, Tom Brookens, Toby Harrah, Jeff Jones, Gene Lamont, Lloyd McClendon, Mike Rojas.

Front Office: David Dombrowski, Al Avila.

Broadcasters: Rod Allen, Pat Caputo.
    AaL '11 - Alphonso Smith / AaL '12 - Corey Williams / AaL '13 - Stephen Tulloch
    AaT '12 - Tyler Stohr / AaT '13 - Jose Alvarez
    AaT '14 Bruce Rondon

3 Days
    Indoors=Warm
    $9 Adults/$5 Kids

So, why not us???

The autographs are extra, and they aren't just a couple bucks extra. ;p
    AAT: 2011 E. Young (67th) | 2012 B. Inge (24th)/B. Eldred/Q. Berry | 2013 M. Henneman (84th) | 2014 A. Jackson (22nd)/D. Price

rogergoochman is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by bugmanson View Post
    They released the list of Tigers that will be there.. Only Brayan Villarreal, Avisail Garcia, Omar Infante, & Victor Martinez are not going to be there out of the Big names:

Current Tigers Players: Alex Avila, Al Alburquerque, Duane Below, Joaquin Benoit, Quintin Berry, Brennan Boesch, Miguel Cabrera, Phil Coke, Casey Crosby, Andy Dirks, Octavio Dotel, Darin Downs, Prince Fielder, Doug Fister, Bryan Holaday, Torii Hunter, Austin Jackson, Jeff Kobernus, Kyle Lobstein, Luis Marte, Melvin Mercedes, Brayan Pena, Jhonny Peralta, Rick Porcello, Luke Putkonen, Bruce Rondon, Anibal Sanchez, Ramon Santiago, Max Scherzer, Drew Smyly, Justin Verlander, Danny Worth.

Tigers Coaches: Jim Leyland, Rafael Belliard, Tom Brookens, Toby Harrah, Jeff Jones, Gene Lamont, Lloyd McClendon, Mike Rojas.

Front Office: David Dombrowski, Al Avila.

Broadcasters: Rod Allen, Pat Caputo.
    Dang beat me to it. I was gonna post this yesterdy but forgot too lol

bugmanson is offline MotownSports Fan

Kinda bummed that Omar and Ava are not going to be there since I have not gotten them to sign yet.
    AaL '11 - Alphonso Smith / AaL '12 - Corey Williams / AaL '13 - Stephen Tulloch
    AaT '12 - Tyler Stohr / AaT '13 - Jose Alvarez
    AaT '14 Bruce Rondon

How many people usually show up at Tigsfest?

O's Fanfest was today and they set a record with over 18k, which of course is over double of last year for a team that finally was over .500 and made the playoffs.

dadair6 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by PuNk42AE View Post
    How many people usually show up at Tigsfest?

O's Fanfest was today and they set a record with over 18k, which of course is over double of last year for a team that finally was over .500 and made the playoffs.
    Not sure what the figure is, but the Tigers cap ticket sales. It's sells out every year, usually within an hour or two.
    "This is Michigan, for god's sake!"
    -Brady Hoke

Some pics from Twitter

So how did everyone do?

Default OK Day at CoPa

So how did everyone do?
    Rondon
    Leyland
    Lamont
    Fielder
    Fister
    Marte
    Avila

Passed on Rod Allen.

Overall I did fairly well today

Jackson EE
    Cabrera (help) - got in line during EE time, EE session was already 'sold out' so it was a waiting gamble
    Dirks/Smyly
    Jackson
    Fielder/Belliard
    Holaday/Rondon

I also got 3 8x10 photo grab bags: Edwin Jackson, Fu-Te Ni, and Joaquin Benoit. The Belliard, a Jackson, and Dirks are available for players I need (notable list below). I have a few other Tigers around if those 3 are not what you need.

Al Alburquerque, Quintin Berry, Torii Hunter, Omar Infante, Luis Marte, Victor Martinez, Jhonny Peralta, Anibal Sanchez, Lloyd McClendon
    Last edited by Zack attack; 01-26-2013 at 09:10 PM.

jpinch44 is offline MotownSports Fan

Coulda done better..

Austin Jackson & Alex Avila

Anibal Sanchez 11x14

Added Avila to the all star poster

Jim Leyland, Tom Brookens, Gene Lamont

Bruce Rondon

Andy Dirks

Andy Dirks Rick Porcello

Doug Fister, need Scherzer

Jhonny Peralta

Phil Coke

Miguel Cabrera 16x20 (Got him walking in hallway)

I'd say all of you guys did really well. That Cabrera auto is terrific, and what a cool photo - the SI cover shot. Sanchez looks like he has a nice signature - maybe the nicest of the current players.

I'm with Los Gatos, looks like a couple of nice hauls to me. Anytime you can walk out with a Cabrera, it's a good day.....especially when he gives a nice graph like that.
    Last edited by Dirk Diggler; 01-26-2013 at 09:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jpinch44 View Post
    Andy Dirks Rick Porcello
    Porcello looks thrilled in this pic......like someone just told him he's the 6th starter in a 5 man rotation. :)

Porcello looks thrilled in this pic......like someone just told him he's the 6th starter in a 5 man rotation. :)
    Haha they both got a kick out of it, lol

Willing to sell the cabrera if anybody is interested in it, im not to fond of it, kind of discouraging to see how nice of autographs he gave to everyone when he was sitting down, then for him to give me his small autograph on this nice photo. I know for a fact nobody else had this photo. oh well, I think I'm just grumpy today lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast