Shinma is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Default Wings sign Doug Janik, wont sign Williams.

Doug Janik inks two-year deal with Red Wings; Jason Williams won't be offered contract | MLive.com)

DETROIT -- The Detroit Red Wings signed defenseman Doug Janik to a two-year contract and officially parted ways with forward Jason Williams on Wednesday.

And getting forward Todd Bertuzzi re-signed is proving to be more difficult than many expected.

Janik, 30, is a stay-at-home defender who has decent size (6-foot-2, 210) and provides some grit.

He had no goals, two assists and a minus-3 rating in 13 games for the Red Wings last season. He played in 66 games for the Grand Rapids Griffins, picking up six goals, 31 assists, 84 penalty minutes and a plus-4 rating.

Janik will compete for a roster spot in training camp and the preseason. His deal is two-way for the first year (lower salary in the minors) and one-way the second year (NHL salary only).

"We liked him in Grand Rapids,'' Red Wings general manager Ken Holland said. "He's a real leader, a competitor, safe, dependable. He'll kill penalties.

"He gives us good depth. We'll see what he can do in training camp. We think we'll have good competition. You need more than seven defensemen over the course of 82 games.''

The Red Wings still intend to sign one more defenseman to a one-way deal. Their options include Andreas Lilja or a low-priced free agent.

Holland said he had not yet decided whether to offer Brett Lebda a contract, but that doesn't appear likely.

The Red Wings have made a two-year contract offer to Bertuzzi. He earned $1.5 million in 2009-10, when he contributed 18 goals and 26 assists in 82 games. But he might have to take a lower average salary to return.

"We have interest in him coming back. I think he's interested in coming back,'' Holland said. "But it's a cap world. We only have so much to offer.''

The Red Wings have 17 players signed for $52.3 million. The salary cap is expected to be in the $58 million range.

The Red Wings still have five restricted free agents to sign: forwards Darren Helm, Justin Abdelkader, Patrick Eaves and Drew Miller and defenseman Derek Meech.

If Bertuzzi, 35, explores the market July 1, the Red Wings likewise will look for a replacement.

"Some of these things go to June 30,'' Holland said. "It's a business for both sides. Both sides have decisions to make. Until you get a deal, you keep talking.''

Bertuzzi's agent, Pat Morris, hasn't responded to messages seeking comment.

Holland said he told Williams, 29, on Wednesday that he won't be offered a new contract.

The club signed Williams to a one-year deal last summer, hoping he could provide 15-to-20 goals. But he broke his fibula Nov. 7, missed 38 games and never made an impact once he returned to the lineup.

He had six goals and nine assists in 44 games and was a healthy scratch for most of the playoffs, appearing in only three games (no points).

The Red Wings haven't decided whether to offer forward Kirk Maltby a contract.

Holland said restricted free-agent defensemen Ole-Kristian Tollefsen will be tendered a qualifying offer. He had one point (a goal) and 44 penalty minutes in 16 games with the Griffins after being acquired from the Philadelphia Flyers for Ville Leino on Feb. 6.
    "Every day is better than the last day." - Pavel Datsyuk

lordstanley is offline MotownSports Fan

Let Lebda and Bertuzzi go too. Defensemen like Lebda are a dime a dozen, I'd rather have Lilja. Bertuzzi had a better year than I expected, but no way should be get two years. We could really be hating that salary a year from now.

DennisDubay is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

How much money does Detroit have left to play with?

lesgoblu02 is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DennisDubay View Post
    How much money does Detroit have left to play with?
    The Red Wings have 17 players signed for $52.3 million. The salary cap is expected to be in the $58 million range.
    Every time you play a hand of you poker you wanna run through a mental check list. Head Position Hand Position Neck Position Breathing Posture. More than 25 items. It's a lot. And that why I've come up with a handy mnemonic device. Just one word: HPHPNPBPECMSPAMDCPAFTSTTL. It's easy.

DennisDubay is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lesgoblu02 View Post
    I totally missed that. Sorry, Blu.

lesgoblu02 is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DennisDubay View Post
    I totally missed that. Sorry, Blu.
    No worries. Cheers!
    Every time you play a hand of you poker you wanna run through a mental check list. Head Position Hand Position Neck Position Breathing Posture. More than 25 items. It's a lot. And that why I've come up with a handy mnemonic device. Just one word: HPHPNPBPECMSPAMDCPAFTSTTL. It's easy.

drownwithyou is online now MotownSports Fan

Janik on a one way in a year? Blah. I don't think any other team would give him a one way. Glad Williams is gone, going to be happy that Lebda is gone. I hope Bertuzzi thinks he is worth a bunch and doesn't come back.
    2014 AAT: Guido Knudson Lakeland stats: 4.2 IP - 0.00 ERA, 0.857 WHIP, 10 K/4 BB, 2 Saves
    Twitter | Last.fm | Blog