Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 188
  1. #1
    Deleterious's Avatar
    Deleterious is online now MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    31,781

    Default Free Agent Day: Detroit Pistons look ahead




    SB Nation Free Agent Day: Detroit Pistons look ahead - Detroit Bad Boys

    Lots of info. Free agency doesn't look that hot to me.

  2. #2
    Nastradamus is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    9,215

    Default

    bad year to have money to spend.

  3. #3
    DTroppens's Avatar
    DTroppens is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Fenton, MI
    Posts
    37,370

    Default

    It's a good read and seems to have some quality logic behind it.

    The most upsetting part of it is the brief discussion of the amnesty probably going to waste.
    "Only Lions fans can predict a victory when their starting quarterback has a broken arm." -unknown

    "I'm going to go the Pistons' game tonight and watch Sheed jack up threes." -unknown

  4. #4
    Hart is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Redlands
    Posts
    8,048

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post
    bad year to have money to spend.
    That article seems to point to the Pistons looking for value with lower end free agents rather than trying for more of an impact player that is going to cost some money. The problem I have with this is we are likely to be in the same position again the following year...a bad team with money to spend but no shot at the top free agents, and also without a high draft pick (or likely no first round pick at all). And not to beat a dead horse, but I really think Millsap is a perfect fit for this team and this offseason is the perfect time to sign a guy like him.

    The first priority this offseason has to be to make a decision on Monroe. Do we try to sign him to an extension, trade him, or wait until he becomes a restricted free agent? Knowing Dumars, he will likely pay big money to sign Monroe even though Monroe does not seem a good fit with Drummond.

  5. #5
    Deleterious's Avatar
    Deleterious is online now MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    31,781

    Default

    If you want Millsap, it appears you have decided to move Monroe. Or am I reading that wrong?

  6. #6
    Hart is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Redlands
    Posts
    8,048

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Deleterious View Post
    If you want Millsap, it appears you have decided to move Monroe. Or am I reading that wrong?
    I do think we should definitely start exploring trades for him. He has not improved his jump shot this year and I think he needed to start showing some signs of progression with that to have a chance at playing forward. It is just not happening.

  7. #7
    T&P_Fan's Avatar
    T&P_Fan is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    By the Big Lake
    Posts
    22,874
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    I don't mind the idea of moving Monroe either. Millsap/Drummond>>Monroe/Drummond.

  8. #8
    Nastradamus is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    9,215

    Default

    I kind of like the idea of having all 3

  9. #9
    Nastradamus is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    9,215

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hart View Post
    I do think we should definitely start exploring trades for him. He has not improved his jump shot this year and I think he needed to start showing some signs of progression with that to have a chance at playing forward. It is just not happening.
    I'm more than ok with moving him, but this sounds like moving him when his value isn't all that great.

  10. #10
    Hart is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Redlands
    Posts
    8,048

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post
    I'm more than ok with moving him, but this sounds like moving him when his value isn't all that great.
    I think now might be our last chance to move him before we see him lose more value. He becomes a restricted free agent after next year so the closer we get to that, the lower his value becomes because his contract is a bargain right now. Moving him at the deadline gives a team a year and a half with him before they decide if they want to give him a long term contract. You also get him for two playoff runs, if he goes to a good team. Obviously, his value is down since he has not shown improvement this year but the other side of that is how much improvement do you expect him to show going forward. I believe he will improve some but it is very hard to predict how much...and I think it is more likely to be a slow progression until he reaches his peak in his late twenties.

  11. #11
    Nastradamus is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    9,215

    Default

    Good big men have value in this league, even if they don't become elite. I think you have to be careful about throwing him away. At worst he's looking like a rich man's Chris Kaman, without the injuries. I'd rather pay him than give him away. Even with a long term, big money deal, he can be dealt. I'd be fine dealing him, but you have to get good value.

  12. #12
    Hart is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Redlands
    Posts
    8,048

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post
    Good big men have value in this league, even if they don't become elite. I think you have to be careful about throwing him away. At worst he's looking like a rich man's Chris Kaman, without the injuries. I'd rather pay him than give him away. Even with a long term, big money deal, he can be dealt. I'd be fine dealing him, but you have to get good value.
    Yeah. I am not looking to give him away. Would I take 90 cents on the dollar? I guess it depends on who it is and value is in the eye of the beholder. I know teams are always hesitant to trade big for small and if the Pistons went that route, they might actually be able to get a little better return. I do think it would be hard to find a good match in a trade I would be happy with.

  13. #13
    DaBishop's Avatar
    DaBishop is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Gloucester, MA
    Posts
    8,108

    Default

    I love Monroe but i think we should move him as well.

    I don't really see the point in excluding the big name FA's like Paul and Mayo. Paul is a definite outlier but I think Mayo is not just a possibility but a real necessity unless Stuckey can find a way to fit in to the starting line-up as a honest to dog SG. I still think that the Pistons offer a lot to a guy like Paul if...and it's a big if...we can land Mayo. Might be my blue and red sunglasses saying that though.
    Tigerbrand coffee is a real treat, even tigers prefer it to real meat.

  14. #14
    Nastradamus is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    9,215

    Default

    90 on the dollar I can probably give with, though I wonder if we agree on what that is. I wonder who would come for him.

  15. #15
    Nastradamus is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    9,215

    Default

    We offer nothing to Paul. Its a 0% chance

  16. #16
    MC24 is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    5,711

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DaBishop View Post
    I love Monroe but i think we should move him as well.

    I don't really see the point in excluding the big name FA's like Paul and Mayo. Paul is a definite outlier but I think Mayo is not just a possibility but a real necessity unless Stuckey can find a way to fit in to the starting line-up as a honest to dog SG. I still think that the Pistons offer a lot to a guy like Paul if...and it's a big if...we can land Mayo. Might be my blue and red sunglasses saying that though.
    What would you move Monroe for? A point guard like Rondo or a SG like Eric Gordon? Then sign someone like Paul Millsap?

    Starting lineup of:

    Rondo
    Draft pick? (Ben McLemore would be nice but probably unrealistic)
    Prince
    Millsap
    Drummond

    or

    Draft pick? (Trey Burke maybe. Move Knight to 6th man role)
    Gordon
    Prince
    Millsap
    Drummond

    Is any of this possible? Do we have the cap space?

    And which one looks better?

    I'm not really in favor of trading Monroe just wondering what you guys would want in return.

  17. #17
    NYLion's Avatar
    NYLion is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    808

    Default

    Reading that article made me sad. There is literally nothing on the free agent market that is even remotely enticing, what a waste of cap space.

    This is even more reason why it's vital that the Pistons pick up a star in the draft but the problem with that is one, this draft class looks to be lacking star power and secondly, the Pistons will ONCE AGAIN be just good enough or should i say, not quite bad enough, to be clear of the bottom 5. So basically the only way to get a star it would seem is through trade and the two problems with that is Dumars seems incapable of adding big pieces through trade and the Pistons don't have the assets to acquire anybody noteworthy anyway.

    It's looking more and more like the Pistons will sink or swim with this current core. Yikes!!!

  18. #18
    ScrubBeaterUpper's Avatar
    ScrubBeaterUpper is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    4,920

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NYLion View Post
    Reading that article made me sad. There is literally nothing on the free agent market that is even remotely enticing, what a waste of cap space.

    This is even more reason why it's vital that the Pistons pick up a star in the draft but the problem with that is one, this draft class looks to be lacking star power and secondly, the Pistons will ONCE AGAIN be just good enough or should i say, not quite bad enough, to be clear of the bottom 5. So basically the only way to get a star it would seem is through trade and the two problems with that is Dumars seems incapable of adding big pieces through trade and the Pistons don't have the assets to acquire anybody noteworthy anyway.

    It's looking more and more like the Pistons will sink or swim with this current core. Yikes!!!
    Mayo would help.

  19. #19
    NYLion's Avatar
    NYLion is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    808

    Default

    Mayo is ok. He's a good scorer but he's not a go to guy by any means.

    Also, to those who want to trade Monroe, our only decent player and only post up threat.....Why?
    We're likely not going to get a better player than Monroe in return and i have no interest in bringing a cancer like Cousins into the fold no matter how talented he is. That kid has been a team wrecker ever since high school, i don't see him ever changing.
    I'm not a huge Monroe fan but i just don't see the point in trading him when we're likely not going to get equal or better value in return. Just doesn't make sense IMO.

  20. #20
    Nastradamus is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    9,215

    Default

    Mayo would be like Gordon all over again.

  21. #21
    Deleterious's Avatar
    Deleterious is online now MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    31,781

    Default

    Zero interest in Millsap or Mayo. Pistons will have to overpay to get them and by time they are done doing that, they will be approaching max contracts. You give guys like that max contracts or close to it and you are in a lot of trouble.

  22. #22
    Nastradamus is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    9,215

    Default

    Yah I wouldn't go over 8-10 mil for Milsap. I wouldn't pay Mayo the MLE.

  23. #23
    ScrubBeaterUpper's Avatar
    ScrubBeaterUpper is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    4,920

    Default

    You wouldn't give Mayo the MLE? Must be a big Kyle Singler fan?

  24. #24
    Deleterious's Avatar
    Deleterious is online now MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    31,781

  25. #25
    Deleterious's Avatar
    Deleterious is online now MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    31,781

    Default

    Oden Hopes To Return To NBA This Season - RealGM Wiretap

    I would absolutely gamble at the right price.

  26. #26
    DaBishop's Avatar
    DaBishop is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Gloucester, MA
    Posts
    8,108

    Default

    Chad Ford thinks Danny Granger will be made available...for the right price I'd love to bring him in
    Tigerbrand coffee is a real treat, even tigers prefer it to real meat.

  27. #27
    Deleterious's Avatar
    Deleterious is online now MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    31,781

    Default

    Granger is 30. I was shocked by that, but it would probably make me pass.

    EDIT: 29 actually, 30 to start next year.

  28. #28
    ScrubBeaterUpper's Avatar
    ScrubBeaterUpper is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    4,920

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DaBishop View Post
    Chad Ford thinks Danny Granger will be made available...for the right price I'd love to bring him in
    4 years ago I would have freaked at the oppurtunity, not today. He's done being what he was IMO. He'll go somewhere else where he won't be the man, he will struggle without the ala carte of shots he was used to getting in Indy, he will battle injuries and fade away like McGrady.

    And, he is 29.

  29. #29
    Hart is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Redlands
    Posts
    8,048

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Deleterious View Post
    Zero interest in Millsap or Mayo. Pistons will have to overpay to get them and by time they are done doing that, they will be approaching max contracts. You give guys like that max contracts or close to it and you are in a lot of trouble.
    I think overpaying a free agent is a chance we have to take. If it is not this year, it is next year. I know it blew up in our face previously but that is because we overpaid the wrong free agents. If we don't overpay, we are going to be stuck in mediocrity a long, long, time. Most of the second rate stars in the NBA are overpaid.

  30. #30
    Hart is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Redlands
    Posts
    8,048

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ScrubBeaterUpper View Post
    4 years ago I would have freaked at the oppurtunity, not today. He's done being what he was IMO. He'll go somewhere else where he won't be the man, he will struggle without the ala carte of shots he was used to getting in Indy, he will battle injuries and fade away like McGrady.

    And, he is 29.
    I actually expect Granger's game to age well because a lot of his value lies in shooting three pointers.

  31. #31
    Nastradamus is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    9,215

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ScrubBeaterUpper View Post
    You wouldn't give Mayo the MLE? Must be a big Kyle Singler fan?
    Mayo's are a dime a dozen. He's a shooter off the bench. I'd pay him the MLE to be a final piece to a contender, like Jamal Crawford to the Clips, but he little value to us IMHO. Maybe he keeps growing as a player, but most of his career he hasn't been very good.

  32. #32
    Nastradamus is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    9,215

    Default

    Or as I like to call him, the western conference version of Rodney Stuckey.

  33. #33
    Hart is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Redlands
    Posts
    8,048

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post
    Or as I like to call him, the western conference version of Rodney Stuckey.
    Except he can actually finish at the rim. He might be a steal for some team if he finds the right fit. His ability to get to the hoop and finish is very valuable.

  34. #34
    DaBishop's Avatar
    DaBishop is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Gloucester, MA
    Posts
    8,108

    Default

    Surprised Gramger was that old too, but I think he's still a solid defender and can definitely be an upgrade at the SF position next season, particularly if we can find a taker for Prince.
    Tigerbrand coffee is a real treat, even tigers prefer it to real meat.

  35. #35
    Nastradamus is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    9,215

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hart View Post
    Except he can actually finish at the rim. He might be a steal for some team if he finds the right fit. His ability to get to the hoop and finish is very valuable.
    I guess, but its not leading to any extra production and in the end, they basically do the exact same thing. Stuckey might not finish great, but he gets to the line and converts and he can hit mid range jumpers. Almost everything about those 2 is identical.

  36. #36
    MC24 is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    5,711

    Default

    Keith Langlois: Pistons more likely to use cap room for trades than free agents PistonPowered

    Langlois says Pistons are likely to use money through trades which is why I brought up Gordon and Rondo. I think those are 2 of Joe's targets.

  37. #37
    Deleterious's Avatar
    Deleterious is online now MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    31,781

    Default

    Speaking of Indiana.

    How long before we regret taking Monroe over George?

  38. #38
    Nastradamus is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    9,215

    Default

    Its a hindsight 20/20 thing, but I'd definitely rather have George.

  39. #39
    DaBishop's Avatar
    DaBishop is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Gloucester, MA
    Posts
    8,108

    Default

    I doubt ever.
    Tigerbrand coffee is a real treat, even tigers prefer it to real meat.

  40. #40
    Deleterious's Avatar
    Deleterious is online now MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    31,781

    Default

    George is damn good player. Very similar on offense to Monroe but an elite defender as well. Kid is good.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-25-2012, 05:10 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-22-2011, 09:30 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-02-2010, 06:00 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-10-2010, 03:00 PM
  5. Pistons should have pursued restricted free agent David Lee
    By Deleterious in forum Detroit Pistons
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 02-02-2010, 09:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •