Deleterious is online now MotownSports Fan

Default Daye emerges from the doghouse to make a difference

Pistons swingman Austin Daye emerges from the doghouse to make a difference | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com

Auburn Hills -- He stood in the corner, waiting on the swing pass to find him, but when Tayshaun Prince's line of sight was clogged by DeMarcus Cousins, Austin Daye made his 210-pound frame more visible to the similarly-built forward, darting to the right wing for a three that turned out the lights Tuesday night.

The 3-pointer, punctuated by Daye crouching down and flashing three fingers on his way to the bench, not only signified the Pistons' third straight win but was the ultimate signal of the oft-confused and sometimes misused fourth-year forward's return to the land of the living a place he wasn't sure would happen here, in Detroit, in crunch time, in a meaningful, momentum-building game.

"Shoot it. That's how it is, when I get the ball with time left on the clock, I'm trying to get off a good shot," Daye said. "Tayshaun found me in a good spot and I let it go. I knew it was pretty much in when it left my hands."

More at the link
    Mmmmmm Fluff.
    VT

DTroppens is offline MotownSports Fan

The guy couldn't make a shot last year. I remember looking it up, thinking he was having a bad season and then found out he was actually shooting around 33 percent for the season and below 25 percent from behind the arc. I couldn't believe it was that low.

He can't miss right now.

But that's still pretty much his game. If he can't make the perimeter shot, his value to any team becomes pretty low. Has he gained any muscle at all since becoming a Piston?
    "Only Lions fans can predict a victory when their starting quarterback has a broken arm." -unknown

"I'm going to go the Pistons' game tonight and watch Sheed jack up threes." -unknown

TigersSlappy is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by DTroppens View Post
    The guy couldn't make a shot last year. I remember looking it up, thinking he was having a bad season and then found out he was actually shooting around 33 percent for the season and below 25 percent from behind the arc. I couldn't believe it was that low.

He can't miss right now.

But that's still pretty much his game. If he can't make the perimeter shot, his value to any team becomes pretty low. Has he gained any muscle at all since becoming a Piston?
    I don't know how much physical muscle he's put on, but I do sense that mentally he's playing tougher than when he arrived.
    2014AAT-Buck Farmer 2013AAT-Mr Ilitch 2013 AAL-Nick Fairley 2012AAL-Willie Young 2012AAT-Dixon Machado 2011AAL-Tom "Killer" Kowalski 2011AAT-Heather Nabozny 2010AAT-Phil Coke 2008&2007AAT-Sergio Collado
    2007AT-AAT-Alan Trammell

Euphdude is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

We can't get rid of Daye soon enough. He was a bad pick from day one -- Dumars thought he could be Tayshawn Prince 2.0.

Casimir is offline MotownSports Fan

It was a nice shot, good for him. But stop winning games and screwing up the draft positioning.

Quote Originally Posted by TigersSlappy View Post
    I don't know how much physical muscle he's put on, but I do sense that mentally he's playing tougher than when he arrived.
    I chalk it up to one winning shot and a hot streak. He's got a long way to go before I take him back off the scrapheap.
    "Only Lions fans can predict a victory when their starting quarterback has a broken arm." -unknown

"I'm going to go the Pistons' game tonight and watch Sheed jack up threes." -unknown

Deleterious is online now MotownSports Fan

Keep pumping up that trade value.
    VT

DaBishop is offline MotownSports Fan

I'll be the lone voice of optimism (even though I don't feel this way really)....every player who struggles and eventually finds his way has people doubting until he keeps it up. Kid came out of college with a pretty stroke, if he found it, this is what it will look like so keep playing him as long as he's got it, and who knows...maybe this is the start of a top 15 pick living up to expectations.
    Tigerbrand coffee is a real treat, even tigers prefer it to real meat.

what's sad is, looking at his game logs, this is basically the best 4 game stretch he's had in his career

Quote Originally Posted by DaBishop View Post
    I'll be the lone voice of optimism (even though I don't feel this way really)....every player who struggles and eventually finds his way has people doubting until he keeps it up. Kid came out of college with a pretty stroke, if he found it, this is what it will look like so keep playing him as long as he's got it, and who knows...maybe this is the start of a top 15 pick living up to expectations.
    It really doesn't hurt the Pistons to play him and see if "something clicked." I'd agree with that. That said, it's going to take more than a 10-day contract worth of games to make me change my opinion on him. He's established that long term opinion through the long term. I'll give kudos to anyone on a game-to-game basis. That's just being honest and fair. And, it's being a fan.

But if I had to put a GM hat on or something like that, my view is that he's still got a long way to go before he proves that he has any great value. If I saw him adding dimensions to his game (and it does seem like he's making more effective and efficient decisions than in the past a little bit), like rebounding or added muscle to defend, then I'd be a bit more encouraged.

He's a perimeter shooter. He should do that. He better do that. If he doesn't then he has zero role. It would be nice to see him want to enhance what he can do so that he's not another 6-11 guy that can do nothing more than take treys. Man, the Pistons seem to stockpile those kind of guys.

stockpiling them wouldn't be so bad if they could do their job with anything resembling consistency

Euphdude is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

What I worry about is Dumars re-signing Daye to a long term contract because of a half-season of decent bench performance. Unless Daye is absolutely lights out the rest of the season and will re-sign on the cheap, I'd prefer to use that money on a long-term proven player.

Betrayer is online now MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Euphdude View Post
    What I worry about is Dumars re-signing Daye...
    This is where I'm at. Dumars has a history of re-signing players he shouldn't. In fact, we have a few on the roster right now.
    Matt Millen never left Detroit - he just started wearing a very convincing Joe Dumars costume.

Quote Originally Posted by Euphdude View Post
    What I worry about is Dumars re-signing Daye to a long term contract because of a half-season of decent bench performance. Unless Daye is absolutely lights out the rest of the season and will re-sign on the cheap, I'd prefer to use that money on a long-term proven player.
    this is a rough statement to make...so Daye needs to shoot 40+% from behind the arc, and play great all around, and on top of that take a cheap contract or we should just let a young player like him go? I don't know if that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by DaBishop View Post
    stockpiling them wouldn't be so bad if they could do their job with anything resembling consistency
    I'd rather have a bunch of 6-11 players who aren't afraid of the paint.

mickeyb105 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by DTroppens View Post
    I'd rather have a bunch of 6-11 players who aren't afraid of the paint.
    Those are as extinct as pass-first point guards in the NBA.
    2012 AAT: Fu-Te Ni