Deleterious is offline MotownSports Fan

Default Greg Monroe looks to get back on track

Pistons Greg Monroe looks to get back on track | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com

Cleveland It hasn't been a December to remember so far for Greg Monroe, and although calling it a slump would be a little strong, he's due for a breakout performance.

Through five games, he's shooting just 35 percent from the field a lot of easy attempts he usually converts, averaging just 10 points and 8.6 rebounds in 29 minutes a game. It's a far cry from Monroe's November: 16.7 points, 9.4 rebounds and 3.5 assists in 33 minutes, on 48 percent shooting.

Being a player who can consistently be depended upon for 16 and 10 every night, it would be understandable if Monroe started to press a little something he vehemently denies. But he intimated his lack of offensive flow stems from being used differently than usual.

More at the link.
    Easily the biggest disappointment so far this year.

DaBishop is offline MotownSports Fan

You guys realize that this is all my fault as this slide began literally the day I bumped that "Greg Monroe's Ceiling" link....quite honestly I'd have banned me already
    Tigerbrand coffee is a real treat, even tigers prefer it to real meat.

This article gets me thinking...if the Pistons are really dead set on keeping Monroe at Center, and judging by the stats Del pointed out it may be his only position, then his days in Detroit may be numbered. It's a bit early but it's certainly looking like Drummond is the future of this team at the center position. This could really lead to a huge potential trade. I don't even know where we'd start looking but it's not out of the realm of possibility...or at least shouldn't be.
    Last edited by DaBishop; 12-10-2012 at 11:51 AM.

ScrubBeaterUpper is offline MotownSports Fan

This has nothing to do with Moose, but Drummond's numbers have surprised me. 20th in D rebounnd %, 2 in Offensive rebound %, 5th overall in the League in total rebound %.

Nastradamus is online now MotownSports Fan

I'd deal Monroe for the right package. I wouldn't love doing it, I wouldn't look to do it, but I 'd consider the right offer.

DTroppens is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by DaBishop View Post
    This article gets me thinking...if the Pistons are really dead set on keeping Monroe at Center, and judging by the stats Del pointed out it may be his only position, then his days in Detroit may be numbered. It's a bit early but it's certainly looking like Drummond is the future of this team at the center position. This could really lead to a huge potential trade. I don't even know where we'd start looking but it's not out of the realm of possibility...or at least shouldn't be.
    I don't think that's going to happen but....

this could be the way you get rid of one of those other contracts that need to be taken off the books. Package someone like Monroe and Prince. Maybe a contender could use a guy like Prince who has been in the wars and a guy like Monroe that certainly hasn't had his last paragraph written about his potential.

What I'd find frustrating about trading him though is he does have some talent. He is going to pop some points on the board for you. He's usually going to get some boards. He's a decent passer as well, maybe a better passer than our guards. He certainly needs work on his defense. But if the Pistons can get him to improve there (and I guess we've been saying that if for a long time now), the last thing you want to do is trade a guy at this stage of his career who could be one of your pieces.

But if the Pistons are going to get out of this death trap of bad contracts, you are going to have to connect something attractive to it to get rid of the death trap player. If the Pistons were thinking Monroe's days are numbered here (and I don't think they think this) he could be that player.
    "Only Lions fans can predict a victory when their starting quarterback has a broken arm." -unknown

"I'm going to go the Pistons' game tonight and watch Sheed jack up threes." -unknown

4hzglory is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by DTroppens View Post
    I don't think that's going to happen but....

this could be the way you get rid of one of those other contracts that need to be taken off the books. Package someone like Monroe and Prince. Maybe a contender could use a guy like Prince who has been in the wars and a guy like Monroe that certainly hasn't had his last paragraph written about his potential.

What I'd find frustrating about trading him though is he does have some talent. He is going to pop some points on the board for you. He's usually going to get some boards. He's a decent passer as well, maybe a better passer than our guards. He certainly needs work on his defense. But if the Pistons can get him to improve there (and I guess we've been saying that if for a long time now), the last thing you want to do is trade a guy at this stage of his career who could be one of your pieces.

But if the Pistons are going to get out of this death trap of bad contracts, you are going to have to connect something attractive to it to get rid of the death trap player. If the Pistons were thinking Monroe's days are numbered here (and I don't think they think this) he could be that player.
    I don't really think they are in a death trap of bad contracts with as much cap space as they will have next year even with Charlie, Prince, & Stuckey on the roster. However, I do get your point, but I wouldn't trade him just to move a bad deal. I would be open to trading him to get the right player though.
    Micah 7:7

DrWho17 is offline MotownSports Fan

It's hard to be good down low when Tayshaun is dominating the ball, and B Knight is chucking like a mad man. Monroe's bad December correlates with Knight chucking it more. Stuckey is playing well again, it's time Singler goes back to the bench, he's really not contributing anything at all the last few games. Let CV/Singler handle the scoring load on the second unit. Keep one of Knight/Stuckey in at all times.

Stuckey isn't only playing well, he's becoming a reasonably solid distributor. Of course a lot of his assists probably are on plays where Knight passes it to him, he gives it to Knight and Knight chucks up a shot.
    "Only Lions fans can predict a victory when their starting quarterback has a broken arm." -unknown

"I'm going to go the Pistons' game tonight and watch Sheed jack up threes." -unknown

He does it every year. Looks like a border line all star for a few weeks. Back to junk the rest of the year.

The second part of that article was interesting. Sounds like a done deal that Ben will play somewhere this year.

I know what he said about only wearing a Pistons uniform blah blah blah. But I hope he goes somewhere he can compete for a title. Memphis or OKC would be my pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Deleterious View Post
    The second part of that article was interesting. Sounds like a done deal that Ben will play somewhere this year.

I know what he said about only wearing a Pistons uniform blah blah blah. But I hope he goes somewhere he can compete for a title. Memphis or OKC would be my pick.
    His time was up here with the situation surrounding this team. Yeah, it would be nice if he was able to hook up with a team with talent, that could do something and maybe he could provide something a handful of times during the season when needed.

I would never trade Monroe to dump contracts...I'd want a real significant return for him. Centers are very hard to find.

I would get rid of Monroe, no problem.

Nothing against the kid, but he brings zero of the things I think are needed to play that position. Mainly defense, shot blocking, shot altering, controlling the paint.

I wouldn't just dump him though. I would absolutely make someone pay the premium for acquiring a big man.