Thread: A Defensive 180

Deleterious is offline MotownSports Fan

Default A Defensive 180

A Defensive 180 | THE OFFICIAL SITE OF THE DETROIT PISTONS

Since starting the season 0-8, the Pistons have held opponents to a mere .406 in going 6-5 in their last 11 games. That compares to .459 over those first eight games. The league average is .445. In those first eight games, Pistons opponents were above that figure five times. In the last 11, it’s happened only three times.

Over their last five games, Frank said, the Pistons are No. 1 in points per possession and defensive field-goal percentage.

“We’ve put ourselves in a position where we could have won any of those games,” he said after Tuesday’s practice. “During that same stretch, offensively we’re 23rd in points. It just goes to show you, if we’ll continue to commit and grind and work at it, what we’re capable of doing.”

The Pistons beat Cleveland by double digits on a night they made just 43 percent of their shots and a season-worst 22 percent (4 of 18) from the 3-point arc.

More at the link.

Maybe they are finding their identity.

For what its worth. Their defensive rating is 104.5 good for 16th in the league.
    VT

Gehringer_2 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Deleterious View Post
    A Defensive 180 | THE OFFICIAL SITE OF THE DETROIT PISTONS

Maybe they are finding their identity.

For what its worth. Their defensive rating is 104.5 good for 16th in the league.
    I've already watched more of the Pistons this year than in a number of years and they do look like a decent defensive team, but they sure are inept offensively.
    'No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens

2014 AAT: WXXXy AXXXXs/Ezequiell Carrera
    2013 AAT: Javier Betancourt

DTroppens is offline MotownSports Fan

Actually as much as he gets ripped on these boards, Max has played strong defense this year. And I've gotten to the point where I want to see him subbed in for some presence.
    "Only Lions fans can predict a victory when their starting quarterback has a broken arm." -unknown

"I'm going to go the Pistons' game tonight and watch Sheed jack up threes." -unknown

Detroit Rock City is offline MotownSports Fan

It's nice to see them seem to be putting things together on the defensive end. Even if the offense stinks, which it does at times, defense can keep them afloat in games. Still need to stink this year to get a good pick and then make their push ala the Thunder.
    2014 AAT: 1B Mike Hessman

T&P_Fan is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DTroppens View Post
    Actually as much as he gets ripped on these boards, Max has played strong defense this year. And I've gotten to the point where I want to see him subbed in for some presence.
    Max is having a good year for his standards. He isn't a liability on the floor and he brings tons of energy. This is the best he has looked as a Piston, someone will give him a contract next season.

The defense looks much better, a lot of it has to do with Singler I think. Singler fills lanes rather well which eats up space for the teams that want to use the drive to open up the perimeter.

The 0-8 start just sucks. I think this Pistons team is probably a .500 team at best, so starting out 0-8 makes it difficult to win anymore than 33 games. These terrible starts by Frank really take some wind out of the sails to start the season.

Lots of decisions need to be made after this season. Maggette comes off the books, Hamilton finally comes off the books, Maxiell and Will Bynum's contract expires and we can cut ties with Austin Daye if we don't extend a qualifying offer.

So assuming CV picks up his 8.5M (disgusting) player option and we don't qualify Daye the Pistons will only have about 38M committed to contracts. With Daye it is still only 42.5M.

Does Joe get to spend this money? Will they pick up the Daye option?

NYLion is offline MotownSports Fan

The 6-5 record since the 0-8 start is very deceiving. In that stretch, they have beaten no team of consequence outside of maybe Philly (The Celtics were dead tired after a stretch of 4 games in 5 days).
    Anytime they have played a good team, they get blown out so while it's nice that they have strung together a nice stretch, a little perspective is needed.

I still believe that they need that really high draft pick to get a superstar. Unfortunately, this draft looks really weak at the top as of now. It's really a double edged sword with this team.... If they tank this season, it will only further enhance a losing culture and make guys like Monroe sour on re-signing here but in the same token, if they end up near .500 and narrowly missing the playoffs, they will just continue a cycle of mediocrity. I guess it's best not to overthink it and just let the season play out.
    I would like to see them beat a good team at full strength to show some legitimacy.

T&P_Fan is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NYLion View Post
    The 6-5 record since the 0-8 start is very deceiving. In that stretch, they have beaten no team of consequence outside of maybe Philly (The Celtics were dead tired after a stretch of 4 games in 5 days).
    Anytime they have played a good team, they get blown out so while it's nice that they have strung together a nice stretch, a little perspective is needed.
    Well we can use the same context as last year. Started 4-20 and then went 21-21. Started this year 0-8, now we are 6-5 since. These are all NBA teams we are talking about, no game is easy. The Heat lost to the Wizards last night, who only have 2 wins now.

This Piston's team isn't good, but unfortunately they aren't dreadful either. We need that lottery ball to go our way one of these years.

NYLion is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by T&P_Fan View Post
    Well we can use the same context as last year. Started 4-20 and then went 21-21. Started this year 0-8, now we are 6-5 since. These are all NBA teams we are talking about, no game is easy. The Heat lost to the Wizards last night, who only have 2 wins now.

This Piston's team isn't good, but unfortunately they aren't dreadful either. We need that lottery ball to go our way one of these years.
    Fair enough, i would like to see them beat a few good teams though.

Agreed wholeheartedly with the second part. While i would like to see improvement with the team this season, i still want this team to get a superstar badly. That won't happen through free agency or trade so the draft is the only option.
    Ideally, the Pistons have a solid season, barely miss the playoffs and win the lottery.
    They already have good complimentary guys sprinkled all over the roster. Add a superstar guard or small forward and this team will be ready to take off.

Deleterious is offline MotownSports Fan

Even the most optimistic fans had the Pistons at .500 for the year. That isn't a team that will be good teams on a consistent basis. They will pop one now and then, maybe the good team is on the second night of a back to back. Or 4 games in 5 nights with some travel tossed in, etc. But for the most part, they will still lose to good teams.

The Pistons need to walk before they can run. And that means beating the teams they should beat, which for the most part, they are now doing. I will take that for now.
    VT

Gehringer_2 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Deleterious View Post
    Even the most optimistic fans had the Pistons at .500 for the year. That isn't a team that will be good teams on a consistent basis. They will pop one now and then, maybe the good team is on the second night of a back to back. Or 4 games in 5 nights with some travel tossed in, etc. But for the most part, they will still lose to good teams.

The Pistons need to walk before they can run. And that means beating the teams they should beat, which for the most part, they are now doing. I will take that for now.
    Yup. The front court can still get better as Drummond matures, but the backcourt talent seems like a pretty hard limit on where they can go.
    'No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens

2014 AAT: WXXXy AXXXXs/Ezequiell Carrera
    2013 AAT: Javier Betancourt

ben9753 is offline MotownSports Fan

Joe's got to go. How many years does one championship buy you?

DaBishop is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by NYLion View Post
    I think at this point you have to cut that 0-8 start a little slack. To begin with it was a tough West Coast trip to start the season and we gave a few of those games away that we really should have wong (OKC, and PHX). Since the trip we've had a couple of good wins and a couple of disappointing losses but what were you really expecting from this team. We're getting better and that's what you want to see.
    Tigerbrand coffee is a real treat, even tigers prefer it to real meat.