Deleterious is offline MotownSports Fan

Default The Rise of Kyle Singler: Strengths and Sustainability

The Rise of Kyle Singler: Strengths and Sustainability - Detroit Bad Boys

Just a small part of the article. More at the link.

There's an unspoken rarity to this kind of a performance from a rookie. Typically, the rookies that start out a season like this are in a position of ball dominance or proximity to the basket. Rookies like Damian Lillard this season or Kyrie Irving and Brandon Knight last season were handed an easy opportunity to control their own fates. They had the ball, they were granted an opportunity to make decisions with the ball and nearly all the plays started in their hands. Rookie big men of late, from DeMarcus Cousins to Anthony Davis, take advantage of a positional proximity to the basket and the ability to make plays based on activity on the glass. Kyle Singler has neither of these opportunities, yet he's begun this season producing near the top of his class.

If he's not a ball-dominant guard and he's not standing under the basket, how is Kyle Singler recording these kind of numbers? Excuse the cliche, but hustle on offense and activity on defense are earning him opportunities that are impressing just about everyone. Monday's game against Portland was a virtual essay on the virtues of doing more with less, as Singler contributed 16 points, 10 rebounds and 5 assists with nary a play being drawn up to feature him. If Kyle Singler wasn't already aware, this is precisely the way to work your way into the hearts of fans in Detroit. As the saying once went, "if it ain't rough, it ain't right."

Singler's offense against Portland was based on steals, offensive rebounds, spot-up three-point shooting and quick moves in transition. The steals and transition game is a special point of discussion. Synergy Sports currently has Kyle Singler ranked as the No. 1 transition player in the game this season based on 28 transition opportunities. He's effectively scoring 82 percent on these attempts when you account for and-1 opportunities and the lack of turnovers. This only takes into account his individual offense, it does not include things like the three transition assists he earned last night on fast break passes to Prince (twice) and Knight. For a team mired in such a lethargic pace for so many consecutive seasons, seeing this is a breath of fresh air.

4hzglory is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Deleterious View Post
    The Rise of Kyle Singler: Strengths and Sustainability - Detroit Bad Boys

Just a small part of the article. More at the link.
    Been very impressed with Singler. I don't know who couldn't be. Was it Mickey that kept posting in the offseason thread that Singler didn't have any skills and was slow, shouldn't have any shot in the rotation, but Daye was definitely worth keeping as he had the potential to do something?
    Micah 7:7

Quote Originally Posted by 4hzglory View Post
    Been very impressed with Singler. I don't know who couldn't be. Was it Mickey that kept posting in the offseason thread that Singler didn't have any skills and was slow, shouldn't have any shot in the rotation, but Daye was definitely worth keeping as he had the potential to do something?
    Yeah, he didn't like him at all.

I won't pretend I liked him much either. I figured another 2nd round pick that sits at the end of the bench for a year or two and disappears.

All winning teams need a guy or two like Single. Not great at anything, but above average at most everything. Willing to throw his body around the court, dive for balls, etc.

DaBishop is offline MotownSports Fan

Mickey really hated Singler...so much so that even when he was shooting 67% he was still declaring him a horrible player. Didn't make much sense. It's definitely nice to have a pure shooter on the court. We've been missing that for a while. If we could get English into the second team I think it'd be more effective and worthwhile then having Charlie V in there for the same reason, but while it's working I won't complain (too much)
    Tigerbrand coffee is a real treat, even tigers prefer it to real meat.

Did you guys see the game last week where they talked about all of Singlers family members that played college sports? I think he has 11 family members that played/play DI athletics. Mostly at Oregon, Oregon State, and Stanford.

Hart is offline MotownSports Fan

I don't even think Singler is playing much is his natural position yet making his performance maybe even a little more impressive.

Detroit Rock City is offline MotownSports Fan

I think you are seeing the maturation of a player who played four years in college and a year in Europe. He knows how to get open, find the open man, play good defense, rebound the ball, and knock down open shots. He is the prototypical Coach K guy who does all the small things while never being the best player on the floor. With Monroe, Drummond, Knight, and Singler plus some of the other young guys, I think the Pistons could be on their way with one or two more good drafts. It's tough being patient in sports these days but if we wait one more year, we might get to see a very good team in front of us again.
    2014 AAT: 1B Mike Hessman

DTroppens is offline MotownSports Fan

I never knew what to expect out of him, and he's been the most entertaining person to watch on this team. He seems to be a high IQ player who seemingly puts himself in positions for success more often than you'd expect.
    "Only Lions fans can predict a victory when their starting quarterback has a broken arm." -unknown

"I'm going to go the Pistons' game tonight and watch Sheed jack up threes." -unknown

I found a reason to hate Singler.

I'm getting tweets from Duke basketball in my Pistons column.

DaBishop is offline MotownSports Fan

nice to see this stuff: David Thorpe's Top Rookie Watch

5. Andre Drummond, Pistons | Rookie card

Drummond continues to impress. The key, though, is for him to understand why he has been able to do what he is doing, with a PER just shy of 20, one of the best offensive rebound rates in the league and a high field goal percentage thanks to his getting so many paint touches.

So how is he getting those touches? Just look at his play late in the third quarter against the Blazers on Monday. As Rodney Stuckey worked in the midpost, Drummond was running down the baseline when Stuckey suddenly settled for a step-back jumper (and answered the question "Why is Stuckey's PER south of 10?). Drummond was literally out of bounds as the shot was taken.

With Drummond matched with much stronger LaMarcus Aldridge and his team up by nine points, Lawrence Frank would have understood if Drummond had simply ignored the bad shot and run back on defense. That's what most players would have done. Instead, Drummond quickly used his feet to jump back into the paint and his arms to gain a space advantage against Aldridge.

As a rebounder, the goal is to put yourself in the best position possible for the ball -- if the ball bounces the wrong way, you still have done your job. In this case, the ball caromed high and agile and long Drummond was able to come down with it. It does not matter that he went right back up (also the right play) and Aldridge stripped him. Drummond is going to get stronger and craftier with the ball, that much we know. If he continues to make the high-motor plays he is making now, his ceiling is going to be very high.

Singler

6. Kyle Singler, Pistons | Rookie card

Yes, Detroit is bad. Consider that Rodney Stuckey, who has played 57 percent of the minutes available for the Pistons, was a combined minus-80 points in raw plus/minus entering the week. Meanwhile, the team's other core guys -- Greg Monroe, Brandon Knight and Tayshaun Prince -- all played more than 65 percent of the time and were minus-37 to minus-41.

Singler, who has played in a little more than half of the overall minutes on his team, was minus-1 for the season. It's early, and adjusted plus/minus over time will tell us more than just the raw numbers, but it is not a stat to be ignored. He is quickly becoming recognized as a sweet-shooting glue guy.
    Tigerbrand coffee is a real treat, even tigers prefer it to real meat.