DaBishop is offline MotownSports Fan

Default Good explanation for Drummond's success

Interesting take on why Drummond has done well thus far in the NBA when it was such a question about his motor, strength and skills in college.

Andre Drummond, Pistons

Part of that was because of a suspect motor, part because of a lack of strong fundamentals and overall strength, which kept him from being a consistent impact player at school even though he's huge and agile.

Cut to Detroit, though, and we see him playing with energy and athleticism on almost every play. That part of the game is easier for him now in part because the floor is spaced so much better in the NBA. The game is wider now, and his teammates are pros, not teenagers. So even though the Pistons are a bad team, they still understand the importance of spacing and playing under control.

The games are also officiated tighter in the NBA, meaning Drummond can't be pushed around the same way he was in college. It's a hard concept for fans to digest, but the college game is more physical than the pro game because it is allowed to be. The men in the NBA are stronger, naturally, but the game is cleaner, which allows a player like Drummond, who has not developed "man strength" yet, to make plays inside the paint and above the rim more easily now than before.

This also helps him as a scorer with the ball in his hands. On multiple occasions he has finished a shot that appeared to use more "luck" than skill. But combine all those shots together and you can see that there's some skill that is starting to peek out. Drummond is able to rebound better now too because of the more open game, and when combined with his ability to make shots, he has been the most pleasant surprise of this rookie class.

Forget that his 23.85 PER is one of the best among his young peers. The better news is that his team is far better when he's on the court than when he is sitting. He is playing only a third of the available minutes now, so we can assume that since the Pistons are off to such a horrible start they will soon begin focusing on developing Greg Monroe's future full-time post partner.
    Tigerbrand coffee is a real treat, even tigers prefer it to real meat.

DTroppens is offline MotownSports Fan

It might also have something to do with the "unknown" entity. If he keeps producing, opposing teams are going to spend more time discussing how to defend him and neutralize him. I'm guessing not much of that has happened to this point in his NBA career.
    "Only Lions fans can predict a victory when their starting quarterback has a broken arm." -unknown

"I'm going to go the Pistons' game tonight and watch Sheed jack up threes." -unknown

Deleterious is offline MotownSports Fan

The second he messes up he is yanked off the floor and sat down, sometimes the rest of the night. That distorts his numbers.

DaBishop is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by DTroppens View Post
    It might also have something to do with the "unknown" entity. If he keeps producing, opposing teams are going to spend more time discussing how to defend him and neutralize him. I'm guessing not much of that has happened to this point in his NBA career.
    At this point it's not as if they can defend him to prevent him from scoring. 75% of his points come from his being a force on the offensive glass. If they start accounting for him more then they just leave someone more offensively talented better which will benefit the team as well. But at the end of the day, as long as he's outworking people on the court he's going to get his rebounds and continue to be effective I think.
    Tigerbrand coffee is a real treat, even tigers prefer it to real meat.

DTroppens is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by DaBishop View Post
    At this point it's not as if they can defend him to prevent him from scoring. 75% of his points come from his being a force on the offensive glass. If they start accounting for him more then they just leave someone more offensively talented better which will benefit the team as well. But at the end of the day, as long as he's outworking people on the court he's going to get his rebounds and continue to be effective I think.
    I'm not ripping on him. Right now, I see him coming from eight feet out for a tip-in board, I don't expect it. And I'm guessing the NBA world really isn't thinking about it yet. No one is at a point where they were thinking "Where's that Drummond guy" at all times mode. If he produces more, and keeps doing the things he's doing, that will naturally change. That's just how it is.

The same is true for Singler. He's an unknown entity. And the other day he was an unknown entity that just happened to be in the starting lineup. I was happy to see him produce and I think it's a great thing. But if he's in the starting lineup for 30 games and still doing what he did, it will mean a bit more to me because I know people will "have a book" on him a little bit.

That's all I am trying to say.
    "Only Lions fans can predict a victory when their starting quarterback has a broken arm." -unknown

"I'm going to go the Pistons' game tonight and watch Sheed jack up threes." -unknown