Page 29 of 54 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,160 of 2121
    MC24 is offline MotownSports Fan

If you haven't looked him up yet, look up Dennis Schroder. I think he's a sleeper for our pick.

Nastradamus is offline MotownSports Fan

Schroeder is very interesting. I think we are a bit high for him, but he's moving into the late lottery at worst.

NYLion is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Betrayer View Post
    The top 3 spots are lottery. Therefore it's possible that the 3 teams behind Detroit could move up to the 1-3 spots and move us down. Like Del said, the odds are out of this world, but it could happen. There's a decent chance that we'll pick 8th though if only one team moves up from below us.
    Oh duh, that's right. Thanks for clearing that up for me.
    I keep thinking of the NHL system where a team can only drop 1 spot at the most.
    That would be the ultimate kick in the gut to cap off another atrocious season.

Deleterious is offline MotownSports Fan

Schroeder needed workouts to rise higher IMO. And with him getting a promise and his agent shutting him down, I'm not sure Detroit would take the risk without working him out. He is very interesting though for sure.
    VT

4hzglory is offline MotownSports Fan

I keep thinking of the NHL system where a team can only drop 1 spot at the most.
    Well, according to Mayo, it might be a good thing as he seems to think saving a few $ is more important than the better draft pick. Obviously, I don't think there is anyone that would really agree with him.

Detroit Pistons might be better off losing this NBA Draft Lottery after previous failed hopes | MLive.com
    Last edited by 4hzglory; 05-20-2013 at 11:31 AM.
    Micah 7:7

Quote Originally Posted by NYLion View Post
    You can see the odds here, just scroll down some. They do the 10th pick to 3 decimal places and its .000 so its a very very small chance.

Also, the odds aren't quite right because Detroit and Washington tied.
    VT

Quote Originally Posted by 4hzglory View Post
    Well, according to Mayo, it might be a good thing as he seems to think saving a few $ is more important than the better draft pick. Obviously, I don't think there is anyone that would really agree with him.

Detroit Pistons might be better off losing this NBA Draft Lottery after previous failed hopes | MLive.com
    That makes no sense. Good God

Post workouts I'd have to say this is my board at this point

Oladipo - I just love him and what he'd bring
    Mclemore - His shooting/scoring is something we could really use
    Noel - Too valuable to pass here, if not earlier
    Bennett - I think his skillset complements the bigs we already have and it would give us the ability to move on from Monroe if needed
    Carter Williams - We need a pure PG and his size would make for an interesting backcourt pairing with Knight. *Plus my son's name is Carter William, so I can't say I wouldn't love to own a Pistons jersey with his name on it haha.
    Muhammad - As was talked about, 7 or 8 is a good spot to gamble on him. We could use his perimeter scoring.
    Franklin - I love his combination of length,athleticism,scoring and playmaking.
    Burke - I'd rather not take a PG in this draft who isn't a superstar, especially a smaller one, but we are in a position where we have to take BPA.

edit - Like Del, I'm scared we will take Mccollum, but I might be more scared we pass on him and he's the next Steph Curry.
    Last edited by Nastradamus; 05-20-2013 at 02:02 PM.

Betrayer is offline MotownSports Fan

I think that's an interesting list. I like a lot of it, though I might rank it a bit differently here and there. I'd probably go:

Tier 1
    Mclemore - we need a shooter/scorer and he looks to be the cream of this crop.
    Oladipo - perimeter defense, energy, serious hops and athleticism from the SG position. Really would need to compliment him with a pure shooter at the SF in free agency or trade.
    Bennett - He's a tough one to place. Love his scoring efficiency, but I'd rather see him become a SF than a PF for us. That complicates matters. Either way, too talented to pass up.
    Noel - If we get a high pick and we're staring at Noel, I would hope for Joe to be on the phone looking for a trade. I'm not interested in him, but I am interested in what other teams would be willing to give to get him.

Tier 2 - if we're here, things get rough
    Burke - I like his range and heart, but there are a lot of questions in my mind. The real kicker about drafting a PG is we need a true veteran PG to teach him and also still need a SG and SF - that's a lot to ask for one off-season.
    Muhammed - I worry about him on a character, effort, and defensive level. We do need a scorer though...I keep going back and forth on my feelings about this kid.
    McCollum - Another tweener, but it really sounds like he can shoot. I keep hearing comparisons to Steph Curry and if you've been watching this season's playoffs you know that's one mighty compliment to get.
    Porter - Poor shooting and ball handling skills make me unsure about him as an NBA SF. His length helps him a lot in college, but everyone in the NBA is long or strong. I think he'll struggle.
    Carter Williams - Reportedly has some nice passing skills, but the turnovers really turn me off. Not to mention the lack of a 3 ball and the inability to finish.

Probably don't need to go any farther than that, but I'll just say that I have no interest in Len or Zeller. This teams absolutely needs a 3rd big, but not in the draft. I want a veteran big like Dalembert who can just come in, keep us large in the paint, rebound, and block shots.
    Matt Millen never left Detroit - he just started wearing a very convincing Joe Dumars costume.

I didn't necessarily mean to forget Porter. I think he's overrated, but I rank him pretty similarly to Shabazz and Franlin.

also I don't think Burke needs teaching from a vet. I think the main thing that makes him valuable is how well he understands being a PG.

https://twitter.com/DraftExpress2/st...49437235150848

Digging into the numbers for our annual stat articles. Shane Larkin led the NCAA in creating offense on the pick and roll, impressive.
    VT

Larkin's going to rise quite a bit I'd have to think. Utah or Milwaukee maybe, with Schroeder going to the other.

https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/sta...32789665460225

Difficult to understand the so-called "draft experts" bumping Cody Zeller halfup the lottery based solely on his athletic testing results.
    You really needed a tape measure to tell you that Cody Zeller is athletic? Whatever happened to watching a game or two during the season?
    I'm not saying Cody Zeller shouldn't be in the top-10, but to move someone up significantly because of some BS testing raises some eyebrows.
    Practicing athletic testing drills repeatedly for weeks will improve results significantly. Does that mean anything in real life though? No.
    VT

In the totally useless info department. Andre Drummond will represent the Pistons at the lottery tonight.
    VT

Draftexpress said their first "team needs" mock draft will be released tonight right after the lottery.
    VT

This should be a pretty unpopular article around here.

NBA Draft: Michael Carter-Williams | Hoops Analyst

In Michael Carter-Williams we have a player who is almost certain to have a long NBA career based on his stats. His raw skills give him an outside chance to eventually become one of the top PGs in the league and a perennial all-star, which is something that can be said about only a few prospects each year. That makes him an intriguing prospect. Right now his arc is somewhere between journeyman and perennial all-star. Because I generally prefer upside in prospects I would have to rank him as the top PG available in the 2013 draft. The only reason to draft Trey Burke ahead of him would be if it were for a team that absolutely needed immediate help at PG and the draft was the only place they could fill this need.

That isn’t to say there’s no risk in drafting such a player. Any team taking Carter-Williams has to realize that he’s a developmental pick with who won’t have much immediate impact and may never reach his full potential. I certainly understand why a team would pass on such a player. In 1997 the Celtics drafted future great PG Chauncey Billups with the 3rd overall pick. Billups was traded in February of his rookie year for veteran Kenny Anderson who gave the Celtics 3 so-so years. That’s not much of a payoff for the 3rd overall pick. Billups’ early career is why, despite the upside, drafting Michael Carter-Williams too high in the lottery could become a similar draft day disaster.

More at the link
    VT

I think you hate Burke more than people around here love him, except T&P fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Deleterious View Post
    Draftexpress said their first "team needs" mock draft will be released tonight right after the lottery.
    I think its weak that they do it like this. You're a freakin' draft site, don't be so lazy as to not give me a mock AND a ranking. Yeesh.

Quote Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post
    I hate Trey Burke's NBA prospects. I like Trey Burke quite a bit.
    VT

I hate Trey Burke's NBA prospects. I like Trey Burke quite a bit.
    I assure you I wasn't talking about him as a human being, as this is the NBA draft thread. Fwiw, I get why you hate him as a prospect and don't have a real problem with it. I get why people like him more than you do too. I'm simply pointing out that I don't think there is this heavy bias on this board in his favor, it only appears that way because you hate him, as a prospect, so strongly.

I assure you I wasn't talking about him as a human being, as this is the NBA draft thread. Fwiw, I get why you hate him as a prospect and don't have a real problem with it. I get why people like him more than you do too. I'm simply pointing out that I don't think there is this heavy bias on this board in his favor, it only appears that way because you hate him, as a prospect, so strongly.
    Got it. But not sure what it has to do with that post. I know it mentioned Burke in it, but I meant it would be unpopular because I know most here don't see MCW worth the #7 pick.
    VT

Got it. But not sure what it has to do with that post. I know it mentioned Burke in it, but I meant it would be unpopular because I know most here don't see MCW worth the #7 pick.
    My apologies then. I never got that impression about this board and MCW, so I didn't see the connection. Thought you meant it in terms of him going ahead of BUrke.

T&P_Fan is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

I really do love Trey Burke.

I'm actually warming to the idea of MCW at #7 with Calderon mentoring him for two years.
    VT

I'm ok with that. I think I put him right at 7 in my rankings.

Betrayer is offline MotownSports Fan

I think 7 is a big reach for MCW. Is it just his length that people like so much?

This is all from DraftExpress, but it keeps me off of his bandwagon:

--His assist to turnover ratio is absolutely horrible (7.3/3.4).
    --Poor decision making - coughs it up on 26% of his possessions.
    --He shot 29% from college level three
    --Has a 49% True Shooting Percentage putting him at 73 out of the 75 top college prospects
    --Struggles in the lane, making just 49% of his shot attempts right at the basket
    --Poor strength which makes it tough for him to finish
    --Poor perimeter shooter

I'm not in love with the idea of taking a PG, but if it came down to it I think I'd take Burke over him.
    Matt Millen never left Detroit - he just started wearing a very convincing Joe Dumars costume.

Quote Originally Posted by Betrayer View Post
    I think 7 is a big reach for MCW. Is it just his length that people like so much?

This is all from DraftExpress, but it keeps me off of his bandwagon:

--His assist to turnover ratio is absolutely horrible (7.3/3.4).
    --Poor decision making - coughs it up on 26% of his possessions.
    --He shot 29% from college level three
    --Has a 49% True Shooting Percentage putting him at 73 out of the 75 top college prospects
    --Struggles in the lane, making just 49% of his shot attempts right at the basket
    --Poor strength which makes it tough for him to finish
    --Poor perimeter shooter

I'm not in love with the idea of taking a PG, but if it came down to it I think I'd take Burke over him.
    He has major flaws. But in this draft, who doesn't?
    VT

T&P_Fan is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

He has major flaws. But in this draft, who doesn't?
    Everyone does have their flaws, but I believe people are overrating MCW because of his size, same reason Burke is underrated. MCW has size for sure, but at times he really did look lost out there at the college level compared to Burke who always seemed to be able to take a game over.

I just don't see it as an MCW vs. Burke discussion. Some other team will already made a huge mistake and picked Burke by time #7 roles around
    VT

MC24 is offline MotownSports Fan

I'd take Schroeder over MCW

Some added lottery drama for Toronto and OKC.

Toronto currently is in the 12th slot. If their pick ends up 4-14 then it goes to OKC. So basically unless Toronto moves into the top 3, they lose their pick this year.
    VT

nikopolidis is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by MC24 View Post
    I'd take Schroeder over MCW
    Same. I would not touch MCW until late first though so that's not saying much.

My big board of players for Pistons
    Tier 1 (Basically if win lotto)
    1. Ben Mclemore, SG
    2. Otto Porter, SF (More so need wise pushing him above Noel)
    3. Nerlens Noel, PF/C
    Tier 2
    4. Victor Oladipo, SG
    5. Trey Burke, PG
    6. Giannis Adetekobou, SF
    7. Shabazz Muhammad, SG/SF
    8. Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, SG
    9. Anthony Bennett, SF/PF
    10. CJ McCollum, SG/PG

nikopolidis is offline MotownSports Fan

Also on forums of nbadraft, somebody posted about Schroeder. I figured I'd share it bc interesting about his personality.

"Hey Will,
    you came to the right place. Dennis is originally from Wolfenbüttel, where I played from 07 to 09 and his u14 team always had practice right before ours. If he gets drafted in the lottery, you will probably hear the story of how a coach saw him in a skate park but thats not the whole truth, he was playing ball before that.

Anyway, this guy is the real deal when it comes to playing ball, off the court not so much. He has had major issues in Germany and everyone knows he's super arrogant. During practice with the u18 national team, he walked out and proclaimed that he wasn't gonna embarrass himself playing with a bunch of losers who werent on his level. He later apologized and was allowed back. But just a week later the team went on the road for some exhibition game and he was caught trying to sneak back into the hotel at 5am. There might have been some weed involved, too, but I don't know that for sure. So they kicked him off the team. One of my team mates from last year was on that team, so thats how I know.

He had his break through on the court this year in the first league in Germany after dominating the league I played in for the last two years (he played on Braunschweig's second team, too). His club had some financial issues and the starting pg got hurt and he played really well filling in.

I would describe him as a young Tony Parker with a better jumpshot but not the finishing ability around the rim. He's an elite athlete with a european skill set which I think is really intriguing. He also weighs like 160 pounds but when he gets put on a weight program, he should be just fine. He's also a fantastic on-ball defender, can apply major pressure and picks pockets all the time.
    As for his NBA career, I think it is all about where he gets drafted. He is in dire need of veteran leadership, on the wrong team hes gonna hit the strip club every night, blow all his money and get into all kinds of trouble. But on the right team could be a solid back up next year, and maybe a starter in a few years if he keeps working hard.
    That's my scoop, if you have any more questions, let me know!"

This is just one random person's opinion so it does not prove anything but it would be a shame if true about his personality

Cleveland has 13 picks over the next 3 years.
    VT

As far as MCW, while I agree that he's a work in progress, I think guys with his natural passing ability and court vision are extremely rare. Its one of if not the toughest skillset to find in NBA players. Add in that he looks like a potentially very good defender, I think its easy to understand why he gets a lot of love. He really enjoys being a pass first type and I always like to see that. His shooting is bad, but he has decent enough form(which he is supposedly tweaking for the better) where he shoudl be able to improve a reasonable amount there. I could see him being a Rondo with hopefully better shooting.

Buddha is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by nikopolidis View Post
    Same. I would not touch MCW until late first though so that's not saying much.

My big board of players for Pistons
    Tier 1 (Basically if win lotto)
    1. Ben Mclemore, SG
    2. Otto Porter, SF (More so need wise pushing him above Noel)
    3. Nerlens Noel, PF/C
    Tier 2
    4. Victor Oladipo, SG
    5. Trey Burke, PG
    6. Giannis Adetekobou, SF
    7. Shabazz Muhammad, SG/SF
    8. Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, SG
    9. Anthony Bennett, SF/PF
    10. CJ McCollum, SG/PG
    Noel has to be the #1 pick based on potential alone. He has the best athleticism in the draft and a great work ethic (supposedly). medical issues would drop him.

I hope to God they don't get Porter or Muhammed. I know they need a small forward, but I don't see either of those guys as great pros, especially Porter. if forced to choose, take Muhammed.
    the above opinion is not respected by Deleterious

DraftExpress: Mock Draft

First one addressing team needs. They will adjust after the lottery.

They have Detroit taking Oladipo.
    VT

I really think Noel has huge bust written all over him. Wish I could have watched him play more.
    VT

Page 29 of 54 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast