Page 12 of 54 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Nastradamus is offline MotownSports Fan

I would never consider Porter over Oladipo myself, not even close. Porter should be a solid, Tayshaun Prince type and we could use that, but Oladipo has real star potential. This team's 4 biggest needs IMO are superstar potential, athleticism,defense and wing talent. Oladipo helps all four.

Deleterious is offline MotownSports Fan

Oladipo got lit up today. Nice player, but not sure I see star potential there.

I thought MCW had a good Big East tournament and good NCAA so far. I still think when its said and done he ends up being the best NBA PG from this draft. Not a start but very solid. I'm curious to see if Oladipo guards him next weekend.

McLemore...not good. Forget his disappearing act. Joe has said the past few years they like to draft high character guys. I read McLemore was kicked out of Oak Hill and was later arrested for failure to show up in court on some alcohol charge. Wonder if they would draft him if given a chance.
    VT

Through 3/25. Full size.

VT

Betrayer is offline MotownSports Fan

I would assume that helps the Pistons, right? If he goes earlier, it could mean that our targeted SG/SF drops to us. CBS has him ranked 3rd overall.
    Matt Millen never left Detroit - he just started wearing a very convincing Joe Dumars costume.

Quote Originally Posted by Betrayer View Post
    I would assume that helps the Pistons, right? If he goes earlier, it could mean that our targeted SG/SF drops to us. CBS has him ranked 3rd overall.
    Makes sense.
    VT

Just watched some video on this kid. Measurements said 6'7" 239 lbs. Even though I'd be scared that Frank would always go small and play him at PF, I'm not sure I'd pass him up if he was available. If the hype can be believed it looks like he could be a star SF in the league. I've always loved a primarily posting SF that can still step out and give you range. With Monroe and Drummond next to him in the starting lineup, that'd be an absolutely beastly front 3. Sure, he'd struggle with some of the faster SF's on the defensive side, but how nice would it be to have that kind of size again instead of this small ball we've been playing? Imagine adding a SG like Iguodala to that mix and re-signing Calderon. That would be an exciting team to watch.

Edit:
    Here's the video I watched: Scouting Video
    Last edited by Betrayer; 03-25-2013 at 11:29 AM.
    Matt Millen never left Detroit - he just started wearing a very convincing Joe Dumars costume.

Bennett at SF wouldn't bug me at all. I would much rather be big and a bit slow compares to fast and a bit small.

To be honest, unless you're an elite perimeter defender, you probably cant stay with PG/SG/SF on the wing anyway. Thats where Drummond comes in.
    VT

Through 3/25. Full size.

VT

The Nike Hoop Summit rosters. USA is all high school kids. Not sure if any of the foreign players are in this draft or not to be honest.

Nike Hoop Summit | Today's Top Prospects...Tomorrow's NBA Stars
    VT

DrWho17 is offline MotownSports Fan

Bennett is an undersized 4 in the NBA, I don't think he can play SF in the NBA, and if he could he would be an inside type of player not the type of wing player the Pistons need to compliment Monroe/Drummond. I've seen him compared to Maxiell, in some draft profile.

That said, I think he has more potential then the other guys that might be available to the Pistons, and if I am the Pistons or any NBA drafter I'd pick the BPA.

IF it is between him/Muhammmed/Olidapo/Porter/Smart, he is probably the best choice of the bunch. McLemore/Noel are the only guys I think I would take before him, and they both have issues as well.
    Last edited by DrWho17; 03-26-2013 at 01:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post
    I would never consider Porter over Oladipo myself, not even close. Porter should be a solid, Tayshaun Prince type and we could use that, but Oladipo has real star potential. This team's 4 biggest needs IMO are superstar potential, athleticism,defense and wing talent. Oladipo helps all four.
    I think Oladipo has bust potential, I wouldn't touch him until the teens. He is a shooting guard in the NBA that isn't a great shooter or finisher really, and his athleticism would not be as special in the NBA, and that is a big part of his game.

UNLV's Anthony Bennett to enter NBA Draft | SI Tracking Blog

In his most recent NBA Draft Big Board, SI.com’s Chris Mannix ranked Bennett fourth, behind Kansas freshman Ben McLemore, Kentucky freshman Nerlens Noel, and Oklahoma State freshman Marcus Smart. Mannix reported that more scouts are projecting Bennett as a small forward in the NBA.
    2013 NBA draft Big Board leads with Ben McLemore, Nerlens Noel - NBA - Chris Mannix - SI.com

Bennett's production has tailed off since tweaking his shoulder -- he has just one double-digit scoring game in his last five -- but that has done little to change scouts' opinions that the Rebels' freshman will be an impact player. More and more scouts are projecting Bennett to play small forward. "He plays like a power forward," a Western Conference GM said. "The rebounding, the physical play. But he's quicker than he looks and can handle the ball a little. He will need some work, but he can get there."
    VT

Quote Originally Posted by Deleterious View Post
    Oladipo got lit up today. Nice player, but not sure I see star potential there.

I thought MCW had a good Big East tournament and good NCAA so far. I still think when its said and done he ends up being the best NBA PG from this draft. Not a start but very solid. I'm curious to see if Oladipo guards him next weekend.

McLemore...not good. Forget his disappearing act. Joe has said the past few years they like to draft high character guys. I read McLemore was kicked out of Oak Hill and was later arrested for failure to show up in court on some alcohol charge. Wonder if they would draft him if given a chance.
    I do like MCW. He has disappointed me through most of big east play, but I do like his potential. Guys with that combination of size and floor vision/passing ability are always intriguing to me. He has to prove he can shoot/score better than he has shown so far though. At this point, I'm not sure what he is. Maybe Greivis Vasquez, maybe Marcus Williams. Burke will go before him, but that's another story ;)

Oladipo isn't Wade, or guys like that. Some have made that comparison and its just not fair. He's not that caliber of scorer. However, I think he can be a better Andre Iguodala. Similar player, but gets to the hole and the FT line more by being more aggressive. Similar caliber of ball handler and defender.

edit - Congrats, I see SI has MCW over Burke, first one I've seen so far.
    Last edited by Nastradamus; 03-26-2013 at 09:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DrWho17 View Post
    Bennett is an undersized 4 in the NBA, I don't think he can play SF in the NBA, and if he could he would be an inside type of player not the type of wing player the Pistons need to compliment Monroe/Drummond. I've seen him compared to Maxiell, in some draft profile.

That said, I think he has more potential then the other guys that might be available to the Pistons, and if I am the Pistons or any NBA drafter I'd pick the BPA.

IF it is between him/Muhammmed/Olidapo/Porter/Smart, he is probably the best choice of the bunch. McLemore/Noel are the only guys I think I would take before him, and they both have issues as well.
    I agree. I see him as a Carl Landry type. He'd be a very nice fit in a 3 man rotation with Monroe and Drummond.

Mr.TaterSalad is online now MotownSports Fan

Let me preface by saying that I like Shabazz Muhammad a lot. I like the pure scoring potential that he brings to the table and would not pass on him no matter who is available for us if he is still on the board. I am also aware that the Pistons have a need a small forward. Let's say that Jose Calderon gets resigned and they opt to keep Brandon Knight and move him over to SG. Now, I'm not Mr. Basketball so I'm deferring to some of you more knowledgeable guys here. Could Shabazz Muhammad be a SF in the NBA? It would seem to me on size and build alone the answer is maybe. If he could, would that hurt his scoring potential or overall growth any trying to switch from SG to SF?
    "Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind"- Fred Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.TaterSalad View Post
    Let me preface by saying that I like Shabazz Muhammad a lot. I like the pure scoring potential that he brings to the table and would not pass on him no matter who is available for us if he is still on the board. I am also aware that the Pistons have a need a small forward. Let's say that Jose Calderon gets resigned and they opt to keep Brandon Knight and move him over to SG. Now, I'm not Mr. Basketball so I'm deferring to some of you more knowledgeable guys here. Could Shabazz Muhammad be a SF in the NBA? It would seem to me on size and build alone the answer is maybe. If he could, would that hurt his scoring potential or overall growth any trying to switch from SG to SF?
    Yes. Most draft sites list him as a SF.
    VT

I do like MCW. He has disappointed me through most of big east play, but I do like his potential. Guys with that combination of size and floor vision/passing ability are always intriguing to me. He has to prove he can shoot/score better than he has shown so far though. At this point, I'm not sure what he is. Maybe Greivis Vasquez, maybe Marcus Williams. Burke will go before him, but that's another story ;)

Oladipo isn't Wade, or guys like that. Some have made that comparison and its just not fair. He's not that caliber of scorer. However, I think he can be a better Andre Iguodala. Similar player, but gets to the hole and the FT line more by being more aggressive. Similar caliber of ball handler and defender.

edit - Congrats, I see SI has MCW over Burke, first one I've seen so far.
    Honestly, I'm more interested in how they pan out as a pro instead of where they are drafted.

I mean would you rather have Johnny Flynn or Maynor/Teague/Lawson/Holiday?
    VT

Buddha is offline MotownSports Fan

I like Oladipo, but can he score in the NBA?

Is he going to be a rich man's Iman Shumpert?
    the above opinion is not respected by Deleterious

Honestly, I'm more interested in how they pan out as a pro instead of where they are drafted.

I mean would you rather have Johnny Flynn or Maynor/Teague/Lawson/Holiday?
    Me too, and I like Burke better as a prospect going forward. However, you have basically laughed in a ridiculing manner whenever anyone suggested that Burke would go before him and I found that pretty strange. Just about everyone seems to have it that way right now.

I just don't think Williams will end up as a starting G in the NBA. He shot .379 from the field this year, under 30% from college range 3. By comparison, Burke shot about 10% higher, Oladipo 20% higher. Even a guy like Vasquez, who had similar questions coming out, was never that bad. If he was an elite finisher at the rim, I'd be a little more ok with it.

edit - and you probably should have just gone with the last 2 examples. Teague and Maynor, while better than Flynn(arguably due to injury), are terrible players.
    Last edited by Nastradamus; 03-26-2013 at 10:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddha View Post
    I like Oladipo, but can he score in the NBA?

Is he going to be a rich man's Iman Shumpert?
    Fwiw, we could really use a rich man's Iman Shumpert. I think he's better than that though. He seems like he has the ability to improve his shooting.

Me too, and I like Burke better as a prospect going forward. However, you have basically laughed in a ridiculing manner whenever anyone suggested that Burke would go before him and I found that pretty strange. Just about everyone seems to have it that way right now.

I just don't think Williams will end up as a starting G in the NBA. He shot .379 from the field this year, under 30% from college range 3. By comparison, Burke shot about 10% higher, Oladipo 20% higher. Even a guy like Vasquez, who had similar questions coming out, was never that bad. If he was an elite finisher at the rim, I'd be a little more ok with it.

edit - and you probably should have just gone with the last 2 examples. Teague and Maynor, while better than Flynn(arguably due to injury), are terrible players.
    I laughed when Thabeet was taken #2 as well.

I'm not sure how Teague is terrible, at least compared to Flynn.

EDIT: Also don't forget. My 'oh lord' comment wasn't because you thought he would go higher. It was if the Pistons wasted their high pick on him. That would be brutal.
    Last edited by Deleterious; 03-27-2013 at 12:46 AM.
    VT

Norvel Pelle declared for the draft today. He was the #1 center in 2011 coming out of high school. Played at a ton of high schools and was never eligible in college.

Norvel Pelle, top center in ’11 class, to enter NBA Draft | CollegeBasketballTalk
    VT

I'm trying to avoid using the cliche, "Worst draft ever." But when a guy with a blown out knee who wont play until 2014 has a great shot at being the #1 pick, one has to wonder.
    VT

Through 3/26. Full size.

VT

Possible candidate for the Bismack Biyombo award. The player you never heard of from Europe that blows up and doesn't do much after.

Greek point guard, 6-foot-10 Giannis Antetokoumpo, wows NBA scouts
    VT

If only Phoenix and Cleveland could get some wins...

NBA draft prospects: Risers and Fallers from 2013 NCAA Tournament

Tim Hardaway Jr., SG, Michigan, 6’5″

Hardaway has been up and down at times but has been solid in Michigan’s two wins. With 35 points on over 50% shooting, Hardaway has been a stabilizing force as teammate Trey Burke, the Big Ten Player of the Year, has struggled both offensively and in terms of taking care of the basketball.With Hardaway’s length and scoring ability, NBA teams will be watching him closely the remainder of the tournament.
    Glenn Robinson III, SF, Michigan, 6’6″

Robinson is not playing like a freshman so far in the tournament. Averaging over 17.5 ppg and shooting nearly 80%, Robinson has an outside chance to be a lottery pick — and if he continues to play like he has it would not be a surprise to see him be the first Wolverine selected in the draft, presuming he declares.

Hold your breath, Michigan fans.
    VT

GMs Leaning Toward Nerlens Noel As Top NBA Draft Prospect - RealGM Wiretap

I guess the flip side to my previous argument is that Noel is just out of this world good. I never saw that though.
    VT

mickeyb105 is offline MotownSports Fan

Bennett's offensive game is much more evolved than Maxiell's ever was, and Max is a much better shot blocker. Bennett reminds me a lot of Rodney Rogers at his present age--good looking stroke, strong play at the rim and finishes well, decent rebounder average defender but not always interested in defending.

While Bennett wouldn't hurt my feelings, McLemore and Noel's talent--I agree--is top-notch.
    2012 AAT: Fu-Te Ni

Possible candidate for the Bismack Biyombo award. The player you never heard of from Europe that blows up and doesn't do much after.

Greek point guard, 6-foot-10 Giannis Antetokoumpo, wows NBA scouts
    I saw one mock draft that had the Pistons drafting this guy in the 2nd round.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.TaterSalad View Post
    I see Muhammad as Michael Redd minus the basketball IQ.

He will be just as much of a liability when he is not shooting at SF as he is at SG, so why not play him at SF?

GMs Leaning Toward Nerlens Noel As Top NBA Draft Prospect - RealGM Wiretap

I guess the flip side to my previous argument is that Noel is just out of this world good. I never saw that though.
    Well, he's not out there playing either like the other projected players, they seem to all be getting exposed in the NCAA by no namers.

Muhammed/Mclemore/Burke/Olidapo/Porter/Smart/Bennett, all have struggled in the tourney.

Well, he's not out there playing either like the other projected players, they seem to all be getting exposed in the NCAA by no namers.

Muhammed/Mclemore/Burke/Olidapo/Porter/Smart/Bennett, all have struggled in the tourney.
    I never really thought of it that way. Good point.
    VT

I laughed when Thabeet was taken #2 as well.

I'm not sure how Teague is terrible, at least compared to Flynn.

EDIT: Also don't forget. My 'oh lord' comment wasn't because you thought he would go higher. It was if the Pistons wasted their high pick on him. That would be brutal.
    I wouldn't be forgetting, you never explained. I have no idea what Thabeet has to do with anything.

Flynn is worse, but Teague is still a terrible player IMO. He does nothing to help you win basketball games.

I wouldn't be forgetting, you never explained. I have no idea what Thabeet has to do with anything.

Flynn is worse, but Teague is still a terrible player IMO. He does nothing to help you win basketball games.
    You seem to think its important where someone is drafted. Thabeet shows you its not, I can give you hundreds of other examples.

And again, you would still take Teague 100 times out of 100 over Flynn even without the injury. And he was drafted 10-12 spots after Flynn.

It all plays into my comment about not caring where a guy goes or is projected to go. I care about how they pan out as a pro. I can't account for a stupid/terrible GM so trying to say a guy should go at #2, #10, or #23 has become kinda pointless to me.
    VT

And this was me explaining my comment.

2013 Draft thread

Burke didn't answer any of the concerns I originally had during conference play. He mostly confirmed all the problems I think he will have at the next level.

My comment wasn't about you saying he would be the #2 PG though. It was me worrying the Pistons would take him.
    VT

I can't believe OKC is going to get a top 10 pick.
    VT

And this was me explaining my comment.

2013 Draft thread
    Sorry, just saw your original 2 word answer.

Page 12 of 54 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast