Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Deleterious is offline MotownSports Fan

Default 2011 Coaching Search

Jackson hired at Golden State. Woodson and Sampson rumored to be front runners. Dumars is leaving for Europe in a few days, so probably not much movement for a while on hiring someone.

T&P_Fan is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Deleterious View Post
    Jackson hired at Golden State. Woodson and Sampson rumored to be front runners. Dumars is leaving for Europe in a few days, so probably not much movement for a while on hiring someone.
    I expect them to hire a coach shortly after and trip to europe and before the draft.

PP has a writeup on Sampson. Decent if you don't know much about him.

Detroit Pistons Coach Dreams: Kelvin Sampson PistonPowered

So far, no candidate really wows me. Hopefully that changes. I will stick with anyone but Woodson.

Blog Entries

I dont think I would hate Lawrence Frank.

Omaha Piston is offline MotownSports Fan

How close were we to hiring Tom Thibodeau the last time around?

DetroitCity313 is offline MotownSports Fan

Jeff Van Gundy anyone?

Nastradamus is offline MotownSports Fan

I love Van Gundy but he isn't coming. He wouldn't even talk about the Laker job right?

Getting Thibodeau would have been amazing.

Why the Woodson hate? He got pretty good D out of a team without great defensive personnel and won games. Not to mention never having a decent PG to run his offense.

Just go defense I say. The write up on Sampson did make me like him a bit more. Development of young guys is key.

That Rick Carlisle quote just seems to be the latest drooling over Dwayne Casey I've heard. Could be an interesting hire. Lots of D first guys out there at least. Pretty much everyone other than Adelman fits that mold.
    Last edited by Nastradamus; 06-07-2011 at 11:21 AM.

DetroitCity313 is offline MotownSports Fan

The main thing I want to see is someone who commands respect. The players considered Curry and Kuester jokes. We don't need Daye, Jerebko, Monroe and the upcoming rookies to be in a system where all they see is chaos.

Sources: Isiah Thomas, Bill Laimbeer on Detroit Pistons' short list for head coach - ESPN

Sources: Isiah Thomas on Pistons' list

While Knicks fans fret about the possibility of Isiah Thomas returning to New York, the Detroit Pistons are considering Thomas for their vacant head coaching position, according to league sources.

Thomas is not the leading candidate, sources say, but he is on Detroit's short list along with Mike Woodson, Kelvin Sampson and his former Pistons teammate Bill Laimbeer.

Thomas, currently the head coach at Florida International University, made headlines this past weekend after the Knicks announced on Friday that Donnie Walsh would not return as the club's president and general manager. Because of Thomas' close relationship with Knicks owner James Dolan, there was speculation that Thomas could regain control of the Knicks.

Sources close to the Knicks' situation insist that Thomas will not be re-hired as the team's president or general manager and Thomas told ESPNNewYork.com's Ian O'Connor on Friday that he has "no desire to return" to the Knicks.

Thomas served as the New York's president in a controversial reign from 2003-2008 that left him among the most hated sports figures in recent New York history.

That is not the case, however, in Detroit, where Thomas led the Pistons to back-to-back championships in 1989 and 1990. Widely regarded as the greatest player in franchise history, the Hall of Famer could return to a club that has suffered through three straight losing seasons.

While Thomas' performance in the Knicks' front office left much to be desired, he has enjoyed success as a coach. He led the Indiana Pacers to three consecutive playoff appearances from 2000-2003 and helped develop Jermaine O'Neal, Jalen Rose and Ron Artest into stars. It's that success with young players that has the Pistons intrigued, according to sources.

In 2002, Thomas led the Pacers to a 34-15 start and was the coach of the Eastern Conference in the All-Star Game. However, the Pacers finished poorly and were eliminated in the first round for the third straight year, leading to Thomas' firing.

After joining the Knicks as team president, Thomas took over the club's coaching duties at the start of the 2006-2007 season. Over the next two years, his Knicks finished a disappointing 56-108.

Thomas, sources say, has been longing to return to the NBA. A return to Detroit would serve as a reunion with his close friend and former Hall of Fame backcourt mate, Joe Dumars, the Pistons' president.

Chris Broussard covers the NBA for ESPN The Magazine.

Follow Chris Broussard on Twitter: @chris_broussard

Thats kind of a bombshell. I don't think he's a horrible coach actually, but I would go another direction. I'm just not sure its the right move.

"Marc Berman of the New York Post writes: "The Post has learned Thomas is not expected to be a candidate for the Pistons' vacant head-coaching job, despite a report out of Detroit. Two sources told The Post Thomas would not be considered by Pistons president Joe Dumars because Dumars does not want to jeopardize their friendship."

From ESPN Insider

djhutch is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Deleterious View Post
    I don't get all this "Laimbeer will come in & kick ***" stuff in these articles, & how that won't mesh well with players. Laimbeer was a player, so I think he'd understand that. Plus, in his time with the Shock, he was largely considered a player's coach. Making them work hard doesn't mean he doesn't know how to massage egos.

I'm kind of intrigued by Brian Shaw & the Spurs assistant right now. & still think Kareem should be on the short list.
    2014 AAT:Daniel Fields All-Time AAT: Charlie Maxwell
    If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball & saving an infantís life, she'll choose to save the infant without even considering if there are men on base. ~ Dave Barry

Blog Entries

I would be OK with Laimbeer, he seemed like a good coach in the WNBA and now has some NBA coaching experience under his belt, albeit as an assistant. He would command respect in the locker room, something Curry and Kuester failed miserably at. This upcoming season will mark the 4th head coach in the last 5 seasons...flip, curry, kuester x2, and now who ever is hired this season.

The main thing we need is stability, I would tip my hat to a guy with experience.

Curry has HC experience now

belcherboy is offline MotownSports Fan

My gut tells me to go with Laimbeer. Although I'd probably be fired in one season if I were an NBA GM!

Mr.TaterSalad is offline MotownSports Fan

Mike Budenholzer is the guy at this point that I like.

davidsb is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by belcherboy View Post
    My gut tells me to go with Laimbeer.
    Agreed!

DaBishop is offline MotownSports Fan

Screw it...Hire Laimbeer...I think he'll be great for a guy like Monroe who is probably a more talented version of Bill himself. He should certainly garner respect right away and will be looked up to by the younger guys. No matter who the coach is, I think the most important thing is to cleanse the team of all players from the championship team. Addition by subtraction. Let Prince go, Let Hamilton go...pennies on the dollar is fine. They have a sense of entitlement and they dont' seem to have handled any change well from the first change to Flip til now. No reason to think they'd all of a sudden become guys you can count on to be company men. Make the coaches job easier and let them go.
    Tigerbrand coffee is a real treat, even tigers prefer it to real meat.

Blog Entries

I would be happy with Laimbeer as well. It would be a fun ride I think.

Mr. Bigglesworth is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by DaBishop View Post
    Screw it...Hire Laimbeer...I think he'll be great for a guy like Monroe who is probably a more talented version of Bill himself.
    Bill was a pretty talented and effective player.

sabretooth is online now MotownSports Fan

I absolutely loved Isaiah Thomas as a player but as a coach/management person he's been a disaster (the brief stretch with the Pacers notwithstanding). I would be shocked and disappointed beyond words if the Pistons hired him in any capacity.
    Introibo ad altare Dei

2013 AAT: Jim Price

Blog Entries

Isiah has a really good eye for talent. He has always drafted good players, but he is a horrible coach and worse general manager when it comes to contracts. He shouldnt even be considered.

Laimbeer is much more stable. Who would have thought that in 89?

Mr. Bigglesworth is offline MotownSports Fan

Twitter

Milwaukee has granted Detroit permission to interview assistant Kelvin Sampson for the Pistons coaching job, league sources tell Y! Sports.
    No interview yet set with Sampson, but expected soon. Detroit expected to call Boston (Lawrence Frank) and Minnesota (Bill Laimbeer) too.
    I think I read the other day that Joe did not go to Europe.

itsallgood8989 is offline MotownSports Fan

Joe didn't go to europe per the Detroit Freepress.

Does anyone really think the Pistons will hire a coach before the new CBA is signed? Doesn't seem like good business to me? Why have a coach to pay who can't do anything until a new CBA is signed?
    2014 ATT Ian Krol
    2012 ATT Hernan Perez

Quote Originally Posted by itsallgood8989 View Post

Does anyone really think the Pistons will hire a coach before the new CBA is signed? Doesn't seem like good business to me? Why have a coach to pay who can't do anything until a new CBA is signed?
    At first I didn't think they would. But other teams are hiring so they probably will as well.

I doubt coaches are paid in the summer. So it wont hurt unless some of the season is missed.

Also not sure how long you get from the end of the lockout until they start the season. But I wouldn't want to spend that time scrambling to find a coach.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by itsallgood8989 View Post

I fully expect a new coach to be hired before the new CBA. Clear up as much uncertainty as possible while you can.

MSUBrian11 is offline Released

I think they will have a coach before the draft.

DrWho17 is offline MotownSports Fan

Well, I don't know if Bill Laimbeer would be the best coach, but he sure would be the headline grabber here and the Pistons are all about that these days. I think big intimidating guys make good coaches and would be a good thing for the Pistons.

I just feel we need a bit more of a sure thing than Lambieer right now. His NBA coaching resume is minimal and its not like you hear people out there talking about how great he has been for Minnesota. I'm not saying he can't do the job, but there are simply too many more qualified applicants it would seem. We have the chance to hire our choice of the league's highest ranking assistants for the most part and we are talking about hiring one of its lower ranking assistants. No reason to take a 3rd straight gamble.

Blog Entries

If its anyone besides Sampson or Lamibeer I will be surprised.

tigerz is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post
    I just feel we need a bit more of a sure thing than Lambieer right now. His NBA coaching resume is minimal and its not like you hear people out there talking about how great he has been for Minnesota. I'm not saying he can't do the job, but there are simply too many more qualified applicants it would seem. We have the chance to hire our choice of the league's highest ranking assistants for the most part and we are talking about hiring one of its lower ranking assistants. No reason to take a 3rd straight gamble.
    So Mike Woodson or Kelvin Sampson or Lawrence Frank wouldn't be a gamble? I am not quite sure what a "high ranking" assistant is but I am pretty sure Kuester would have qualified.

I have heard recently Charles Barkley and David Kahn say very nice things about Laimbeer. His extensive playing career (including a year in Europe), the Shock, even his color days count towards his resume. He's a very good communicator with a wealth of bball knowledge and like Doug Collins, Hubie Brown and Jeff Van Gundy made a very good commentator.

That said, I think it will be Woodson. I just remember a ton of good things said by Dumars and the players when he left. If Dumars thought Laimbeer should be his coach, it would've happened a long time ago.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tigerz View Post
    If Dumars thought Laimbeer should be his coach, it would've happened a long time ago.
    I dont know about that. Laimbeer has no NBA experience prior to the last year or two. Last time the Pistons had a coaching vacancy Laimbeer probably wasnt ready. If Joe doesnt hire him now, he never will. It will be interesting to see how this unfolds.

mickeyb105 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by T&P_Fan View Post
    I dont know about that. Laimbeer has no NBA experience prior to the last year or two. Last time the Pistons had a coaching vacancy Laimbeer probably wasnt ready. If Joe doesnt hire him now, he never will. It will be interesting to see how this unfolds.
    This.

Dumars told Laimbeer to go get some NBA assistant coaching experience, and then he would consider him for a head coaching position

Here's a link to Laimbeer's appearance on ESPN's OTL in 2009: Bill Laimbeer looking to start coaching in the NBA - ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by T&P_Fan View Post
    If its anyone besides Sampson or Lamibeer I will be surprised.
    report says only Woodson and Sampson are real possibilities, though others will be interviewed.

Quote Originally Posted by tigerz View Post
    So Mike Woodson or Kelvin Sampson or Lawrence Frank wouldn't be a gamble? I am not quite sure what a "high ranking" assistant is but I am pretty sure Kuester would have qualified.

I have heard recently Charles Barkley and David Kahn say very nice things about Laimbeer. His extensive playing career (including a year in Europe), the Shock, even his color days count towards his resume. He's a very good communicator with a wealth of bball knowledge and like Doug Collins, Hubie Brown and Jeff Van Gundy made a very good commentator.

That said, I think it will be Woodson. I just remember a ton of good things said by Dumars and the players when he left. If Dumars thought Laimbeer should be his coach, it would've happened a long time ago.
    Of course they would be, but I think to a lesser degree. None of us really know what these coaches due as assistants or how successful and impactful they are. All we can really go by is their resume and what their HC,GM and players say about them for the most part. Woodson had good success as a HC, Frank has been a HC and was hired to be the lead assistant reaplcing Thibodeau on one of the best, most veteran teams in basketball. Sampson has been successful as a college HC and is clearly respected and valued through the NBA. He was immediately sought out by one of the most respected oranizations in basketball, as well as one of the cleanest. He was quickly one of the more sought out guys for an assistant coach position. It feels like Lambieer had to scrap just to get the last assistant job on a crappy team to me. That doesn't mean he sucks, it might be a matter of circumstance and opportunity, but it seems he's nto there yet. He's Curry again. Another former player, tough as nails, had respect from players(union head), low on experience. Kuester would have qualified as a top assistant who we hired, no doubt. I liked the hire at the time some. However, I think we needed a D guy more than an O guy and I think we had to settle for a guy who wasn't one of our top choices due to financial reasons.

I'm not out to rip Lambieer, I just think we should hire the most qualified guy, not the sentimental favorite. Would we mention Lambieer if we were Toronto or Golden State fans?

Elevate is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post
    I'm not out to rip Lambieer, I just think we should hire the most qualified guy, not the sentimental favorite. Would we mention Lambieer if we were Toronto or Golden State fans?
    Despite the fact that you keep butchering Laimbeer's name, this is a fantastic point. I feel like Laimbeer would be the homer hire.

I guess it's between Sampson or Woodson for me. And I don't know enough about either to love or hate them. This whole debate is pretty lukewarm to me. I'm much more interested in the players Joe D acquires/jettisons.

Edman85 is offline MotownSports Fan

Not that I've followed the Pistons or NBA at all since leaving adolescence, but I'd never go back if they hired Kelvin Sanctions...
    http://tigers-thoughts.blogspot.com
    RIP estrepe... Miss ya bud!

Zack attack is offline MotownSports Fan

The Pistons are also interested in interviewing Mo Cheeks, Lawrence Frank and Mike Woodson, sources told ESPN's Ric Bucher.
    Sources: Detroit Pistons get permission to interview Milwaukee Bucks assistant Kelvin Sampson - ESPN

Not sure how I feel right now with the slew of former head coaches, but I'm thinking it is just due process.
    AAT: 2011 E. Young (67th) | 2012 B. Inge (24th)/B. Eldred/Q. Berry | 2013 M. Henneman (84th) | 2014 A. Jackson (22nd)/D. Price

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast