Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Hart is offline MotownSports Fan

I don't see how hiring a coach with a mediocre head coaching record is that much better than hiring a career assistant with no experience. Just because a guy has head coaching experience doesn't make him good at being a head coach or deserving of his prior gig in the first place.

After researching Sampson some more, I have soured on him. Honestly, none of these candidates stick out to me anymore. I say shoot for the moon and hire Brad Stevens.

DetroitCity313 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Zack attack View Post
    Sources: Detroit Pistons get permission to interview Milwaukee Bucks assistant Kelvin Sampson - ESPN

Not sure how I feel right now with the slew of former head coaches, but I'm thinking it is just due process.
    I am fine with a former head coach...in fact I almost prefer it. We need a stable coach who knows how to take over a locker-room in here. We do not need another Kuester who was lost in how to command respect. My guess is Mo Cheeks would get a lot more effort out of these guys than a first year head coach.

Nastradamus is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Hart View Post
    I don't see how hiring a coach with a mediocre head coaching record is that much better than hiring a career assistant with no experience. Just because a guy has head coaching experience doesn't make him good at being a head coach or deserving of his prior gig in the first place.

After researching Sampson some more, I have soured on him. Honestly, none of these candidates stick out to me anymore. I say shoot for the moon and hire Brad Stevens.
    I suppose it depends how you view mediocre. I don't think Woodson for example, was mediocre. Did you expect championships from Atlanta if they had Phil Jackson or Jerry Sloan? Also I think guys tend to improve on their 2nd HC job, in any sport. They learn from their past mistakes. Especially if they take some time as an assistant in between, like a Lawrence Frank(not my favorite though). Plus with the coaches we've hired, getting back to respectability is where we have to start I think. We aren't playing for the title next year.

Why did you sour on Sampson? Just curious

Quote Originally Posted by Edman85 View Post
    Not that I've followed the Pistons or NBA at all since leaving adolescence, but I'd never go back if they hired Kelvin Sanctions...
    That's pretty sad. I do not understand this type of thinking at all. College is a dirty, messed up game. I'll say it again too, the first organization to hire him immediately afterwards was arguably the cleanest, most respected one in the NBA. San Antonio. Putting stock into college sanctions is bizarre.

belcherboy is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post
    That's pretty sad. I do not understand this type of thinking at all. College is a dirty, messed up game. I'll say it again too, the first organization to hire him immediately afterwards was arguably the cleanest, most respected one in the NBA. San Antonio. Putting stock into college sanctions is bizarre.
    I too don't like someone who is an open cheater. You can blame the NCAA or college basketball, but I think the problem was with Sampson who was just a blatant cheater his whole college career. For some reason that just rubs me the wrong way. I wouldn't boycott the Pistons over it, I just don't think I'd like him coaching them.

Of course if the Pistons became contenders again, I'd probably grow to love him! (winning makes hypocrites of many people)

I just want someone who doesn't openly suck

I suppose it depends how you view mediocre. I don't think Woodson for example, was mediocre. Did you expect championships from Atlanta if they had Phil Jackson or Jerry Sloan? Also I think guys tend to improve on their 2nd HC job, in any sport. They learn from their past mistakes. Especially if they take some time as an assistant in between, like a Lawrence Frank(not my favorite though). Plus with the coaches we've hired, getting back to respectability is where we have to start I think. We aren't playing for the title next year.

Why did you sour on Sampson? Just curious
    Well, for one thing, I can't get over the fact he cheated in college. Some people may not think that is a big deal but for me, it is a reflection of character and no matter how ugly sports as a business can be, this to me still matters. And secondly, I watched some interviews with him on the internet and I don't think he is that good answering reporters in front of a camera. This does not mean he is not a good coach; just that I don't think he is a good media relations person. There are just other candidates I like better now.

belcherboy is offline MotownSports Fan

I don't think Sampson is your only choice. Regardless, talent is WAY more important than coaching in the NBA IMO. In college, a coach can create an environment of success. In the NBA, they just hope to get lucky enough to have a superstar in his prime. No doubt that coaching plays a role, but not nearly as important as the role of the players. A good GM (drafting, contracts, and free agents) is MUCH more important IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by belcherboy View Post
    I don't think Sampson is your only choice. Regardless, talent is WAY more important than coaching in the NBA IMO. In college, a coach can create an environment of success. In the NBA, they just hope to get lucky enough to have a superstar in his prime. No doubt that coaching plays a role, but not nearly as important as the role of the players. A good GM (drafting, contracts, and free agents) is MUCH more important IMO.
    I agree that talent and the front office are more important than the head coach but I still think getting the right coach is important. The NBA finals are a good example of this. Ultimately, the players are the ones who are making the plays to win and lose the game in the 4th quarter but based on what I hear and read (I have not watched the NBA finals this year), Spoelstra is getting outcoached by Carlisle right now.

Vonlenska is offline MotownSports Fan

2003 Tigers = 2010 Tigers
    2012 AAT: Josue Carreno 0-2, 3.30 ERA, 1.10 WHIP, 2.4 BB/9, 7.8 K/9

itsallgood8989 is offline MotownSports Fan

ok, I will preface this by saying my logic says this is a bad idea! But the thought has been floating in the back of my mind for a while now.

Make Isaiah Thomas head coach, Bill Laimbeer Asst, Ben Wallace Asst and Darrel Walker Asst.

Isaiah has had sucess as an NBA head coach and would be in charge of developing Stucky and Kemba as our Point Guards. Bill is in charge of developing the bigs to play aggressive and smart, Ben will teach about sacrfice and heart and Darryl. Continues to teach defense.

All of this teaching and the accomplishment these guys have had as players should allow their message to resonate with the players and hopefully get us back to traditional Piston Basketball!
    2014 ATT Ian Krol
    2012 ATT Hernan Perez

DetroitCity313 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by itsallgood8989 View Post
    ok, I will preface this by saying my logic says this is a bad idea! But the thought has been floating in the back of my mind for a while now.

Make Isaiah Thomas head coach, Bill Laimbeer Asst, Ben Wallace Asst and Darrel Walker Asst.

Isaiah has had sucess as an NBA head coach and would be in charge of developing Stucky and Kemba as our Point Guards. Bill is in charge of developing the bigs to play aggressive and smart, Ben will teach about sacrfice and heart and Darryl. Continues to teach defense.

All of this teaching and the accomplishment these guys have had as players should allow their message to resonate with the players and hopefully get us back to traditional Piston Basketball!
    Ben never struck me as a great leader (other than by leading by example). He is my favorite Piston of all time, but I don't think he would be a great communicater as a coach.

Deleterious is offline MotownSports Fan

The Pistons will ask the Mavs for permission to talk with Dwane Casey.

Pistons hope to interview Casey - CBSSports.com
    VT

Kelvin Sampson to interview with Pistons this week | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

Kelvin Sampson to interview with Pistons this week

Milwaukee Bucks assistant coach Kelvin Sampson will interview for the Detroit Pistons' vacant head coaching job this week, the Free Press has learned.

Sampson will meet with Pistons president of basketball operations Joe Dumars to discuss becoming the team's seventh coach in 12 seasons.

The other known candidates for the job are former Atlanta Hawks coach and Pistons assistant Mike Woodson, Boston Celtics assistant Lawrence Frank, Dallas Mavericks assistant Dwane Casey and former Pistons Bad Boy Bill Laimbeer.

Casey and Frank are reported to be the two finalists for the Toronto Raptors' job.

Sampson, 55, has been with the Bucks since May 2008. He had been the head coach at Indiana University for nearly two years before he was forced to resign after a recruiting scandal regarding phone calls. Before Indiana, he spent 12 seasons at Oklahoma. He also was an assistant at Michigan State under Jud Heathcote.

Dumars has said there is no timetable for filling the position created when John Kuester was fired June 5 after compiling a 57-107 record in two seasons.

Kuester likely will land on new coach Mike Brown's staff with the Los Angeles Lakers.
    VT

Sources: Lawrence Frank interviewed for Detroit Pistons job - ESPN

Sources: Lawrence Frank, Pistons meet

Boston Celtics assistant coach Lawrence Frank interviewed Wednesday for the Detroit Pistons' coaching vacancy, according to NBA coaching sources.

Frank, formerly coach of the New Jersey Nets, is the second candidate to be formally interviewed for the position, sources said, joining former Atlanta Hawks coach Mike Woodson.

The Detroit News and Detroit Free Press reported in Thursday's editions that the Pistons have also scheduled an interview with Milwaukee Bucks assistant Kelvin Sampson by week's end.

The Pistons are seeking a replacement for John Kuester, whose long-anticipated dismissal was announced June 5 after the team was formally sold to California billionaire Tom Gores. Kuester posted a 57-107 record in two turmoil-filled seasons as Pistons coach.

The Pistons have likewise requested permission from the Dallas Mavericks to interview assistant coach Dwane Casey, who was taking part Thursday in the Mavericks' championship parade in Dallas.

Casey and Frank are the two finalists for the Toronto Raptors' coaching vacancy. Both were also finalists in Houston and Golden Statefor jobs that went to Kevin McHale and Mark Jackson, respectively.

Frank was 225-241 in parts of seven seasons coaching the Nets before joining Doc Rivers' staff in Boston this past season, replacing Chicago Bulls coach Tom Thibodeau.

Casey, 54, has been waiting for a second shot at a top job since being dismissed by the Minnesota Timberwolves with a record of 20-20 during the 2006-07 season.

Casey narrowly missed out on coaching jobs last summer with the Atlanta Hawks and the Los Angeles Clippers. But his stock has been helped by the Mavericks' run to the championship and his role in masterminding the defense that gave Miami's LeBron James such troubles during the NBA Finals.

Kuester and Woodson were assistants under Larry Brown on the Pistons' championship team in 2004, but Woodson elected to take the Hawks' job in the summer of 2004 instead of waiting for the opportunity to potentially succeed Brown in Detroit.

Woodson posted a record of 206-286 in six seasons in Atlanta, advancing to to the second round of the playoffs twice.

Sampson has never been a coach at the NBA level, but stints as an assistant with the San Antonio Spurs and Milwaukee have pushed him into contention for jobs was after coaching college basketball at Indiana and Oklahoma.

Ex-Pistons center Bill Laimbeer, currently an assistant coach with Minnesota, has also been linked with the Pistons' opening.

Marc Stein is a senior NBA writer for ESPN.com.
    VT

I'd definitely rather have Frank and Casey left, amongst others than Jackson and Mchale.

Sounds like Casey is going to get Toronto's job though. Kinda sucks, as he was probably my favorite.

ScrubBeaterUpper is offline MotownSports Fan

Something about Woodson as our coach makes me want to throw up.

I would rather Frank than him.

Is Laimbeer going to get an interview?

Casey to Raptors getting closer | Basketball | Sports | Toronto Sun

TORONTO - All signs point to Dwane Casey becoming the next head coach of the Raptors.

Casey, who lost out for the coaching job in Houston and Golden State is the team’s top choice and has already interviewed for general manager Bryan Colangelo and the club twice – once during the NBA finals and again on Tuesday.

Casey, the Dallas Mavericks’ defensive guru has not yet even interviewed for the Detroit Pistons – who also like him but see him as just one of the top candidates, along with favourites Mike Woodson, Kelvin Sampson and Lawrence Frank.

He is slated to interview in Detroit next week, but that isn’t even a certainty since the word out of Detroit is Frank, the other finalist in Toronto, "blew the Pistons away" in his interview on Wednesday.

Sampson met with Joe Dumars and his staff on Thursday and the club knows its former assistant, Woodson very well.

Frank was the early favourite in Toronto and has now become the late-charging darkhorse in Detroit.
    VT

Buddha is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Hart View Post
    Is Laimbeer going to get an interview?
    I guess not.
    the above opinion is not respected by Deleterious

Frank's a guy I'd be ok with. Seems like a talented and respected coach. Pretty young, has been a HC. If he's interviewing that well, maybe we should move on him.

A solid little summary on him here from pistonpowered, nothing earth shattering really though.

Detroit Pistons Coach Dreams: Lawrence Frank PistonPowered

Great move for them. Exactly what they needed at HC. Triano was terrible, Casey can do things like emphasize D and hard wrk that he couldn't.

T&P_Fan is online now MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

When is Joe going to wrap up this search? Lets get a coach hired.
    Last edited by T&P_Fan; 06-20-2011 at 03:31 PM.

Betrayer is offline MotownSports Fan

One on hand I don't want them to rush an important decision.

On the other hand, I feel like the head coach should be picked so he can be in the war room on draft day.
    Matt Millen never left Detroit - he just started wearing a very convincing Joe Dumars costume.

T&P_Fan is online now MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Betrayer View Post

On the other hand, I feel like the head coach should be picked so he can be in the war room on draft day.
    This is my concern. I feel like the new head coach should be part draft process.

I figured they would give Laimbeer a token interview.

Detroit Pistons - NBA | Pistons interview Mike Woodson today, Bill Laimbeer Wednesday | The Detroit News

Getting the right coach is a thousand times more important than having him in the draft room.
    VT

Frank's a guy I'd be ok with. Seems like a talented and respected coach. Pretty young, has been a HC. If he's interviewing that well, maybe we should move on him.

A solid little summary on him here from pistonpowered, nothing earth shattering really though.

Detroit Pistons Coach Dreams: Lawrence Frank PistonPowered
    I feel the same way. Not a guy that blows you away but I could live with the hire.

Good post on why Laimbeer should be the next Piston coach.

In Defense of Bill Laimbeer: the right man for the job - Detroit Bad Boys
    VT

I just feel he's a little too rah rah to be an NBA HC and that article kind of reinforces this.

azzurri is offline MotownSports Fan

Bill Laimbeer is the right pick to re-energize this franchise and the fans. He's actually pretty calm on the sidelines and is not the rah rah, emotional type from his playing days. I think he'd have a calming influence on this team because he has the name and pedigree to represent this franchise's past to the players...unlike guys like Lawrence Frank, who I'm almost certain Dumars will hire (unfortunately).

New Jersey Nets coach Avery Johnson throws out first pitch before Brooklyn Cyclones game

Lawrence Frank is moving closer to getting the Detroit Pistons' head coaching position, according to league sources.

Frank, 40, would succeed John Kuester, who was fired after the Pistons went through a chaotic 30-52 season to finish 32 games behind Chicago in the Central Division. Kuester's two-year record was 57-107.

- With Mitch Lawrence

Boo
    VT

Even if the alternative is Woodson?

Quote Originally Posted by ScrubBeaterUpper View Post
    Even if the alternative is Woodson?
    Frank is better than Woodson. But its like asking if you want me to punch you in the face or in the stomach. Both are going to hurt.

Has this been the most pathetic bunch of coaching candidates ever?
    VT

DaBishop is offline MotownSports Fan

I WANT BILLY!!!! C'mon Joe...do something that shows you got a pair instead of just hiring the most boring safe option, give Bill his first HC job.
    Tigerbrand coffee is a real treat, even tigers prefer it to real meat.

DaBishop is offline MotownSports Fan

One of the commenters on the Laimbeer article makes a good point that the players would not get any kind of support from the fan base if they had issues with the Head Coach the way they have in the past. If Rip bitched about the way Laimbeer spoke to him there isn't a Piston fan in the world that would take his side the way they did last year. If we're unable to unload Prince and Hamilton I think Laimbeer is almost a necessity for that reason. A rookie head coach being allowed to lose the team and being blamed for it is a real tough situation, particularly when the Vet players know it. It happened with Flip, then with Curry, now with Kue...why woulnd't the players make it happen again with whoever the new coach is if they're unhappy(which they will be regardless of who the coach is because there's next to no chance that we're a winning team next year whoever gets the job). It will take more than just bitching to have the fanbase decide that Bill lost the team because of something he did wrong.
    Last edited by DaBishop; 06-22-2011 at 06:17 PM.
    Tigerbrand coffee is a real treat, even tigers prefer it to real meat.

Patrick Ewing getting an interview

Wow, Ewing eh? Kind of interesting. He has been pressing for a HC job for a while. Seems like a guy who can teach and I like his toughness. He probably fits into the Lambieer category. A guy who probably needs to work his way up the ranks some more. Decent candidate, but there are simply better ones. I like covering all bases though.

I'm hoping for Frank even more now. I like a guy with his youth and intelligence coming in to work with Knight, Monroe and co. and hopefully being here for the long haul. It doesn't have to be him for me, but I really hope it is either Frank,Woodson or Sampson.
    I will say, if its Frank, I want a strong defensive lead assistant. Lambieer in that role I wouldn't hate so much. Has Person been hired?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast