Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Deleterious is offline MotownSports Fan

Vincent Goodwill

Source: #Pistons wouldn't trade Rip, who's almost becoming an expiring contract w/lockout coming, and get rid of a draft pick
    #Pistons trade not happening. What's in it for them? You can almost trade rip player for player. Sounds like Cle leaked some fantasy b-ball

stevie-y is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by drownwithyou View Post

(Lamar doesn't care because he still has his reality TV show)
    And is married to khl.... never mind.

stevie-y is offline MotownSports Fan

No thanks, Khloe. I'd rather go blind.
    Last edited by stevie-y; 05-29-2011 at 12:01 AM.

tigerz is offline MotownSports Fan

Broussard broke this rumor....was it another Maverick Carter tip?

The Vinces were on this one, doesn't make sense, won't happen. Especially when we don't know what the new CBA looks like or if there is even going to be a season. Would've been a bad sign for the Gores era if his first move was to give up #8 even in a bad draft just to cut payroll, when the team is already under the cap, and needs young talent in the worst way.

I really believe the Pistons will be able to unload Rip at the deadline or at the very least next summer.

Chris_Broussard

Detroit won't do 3-team deal as proposed. Would need to get players back in return for Rip and 8th pick...stay tuned

DTroppens is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Buddha View Post
    That trade actually makes sense for all three teams.

But it's a little hard to swallow that we have to trade a lottery pick to get rid of Rip.
    And as much as this stinks to lose a lottery pick, you are right, it actually does make some sense.

Amazing, it takes losing one of the few resources you have to get some youth here and help build on a new identity to possibly move ahead.

Maybe this will free us up some money to extend Max with.
    "Only Lions fans can predict a victory when their starting quarterback has a broken arm." -unknown

"I'm going to go the Pistons' game tonight and watch Sheed jack up threes." -unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Truth View Post
    Not at his contract no. So what though, neither do Gordon, CV or Maxiel. At least in Rip's case the Pistons are paying for past performance and contribution to their organization. With Gordon and the rest they are paying for Dumar's stupidity.
    More the reason why Rip should've shown some respect last season instead of whining and underperforming when he did play.

Consequently, it's also the reason he deserves to get dumped on a little bit more. Had a chance to prove himself as a leader and he did anything but that.
    "Only Lions fans can predict a victory when their starting quarterback has a broken arm." -unknown

"I'm going to go the Pistons' game tonight and watch Sheed jack up threes." -unknown

Nastradamus is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by pape06 View Post
    Maybe now people will stop talking as if Hamilton has any trade value at all.
    Well the deal hasn't happened yet.

David Aldridge tweeted "Source: absolutely no chance of supposed 3 way with CLE, MIN, DET happening. None. Zero. Why would Pistons have 2 give up first 2 move Rip? "

Hart is offline MotownSports Fan

I am all for clearing cap space but not at the cost of a lottery pick because I don't believe a lot of cap space in free agency is going to do much for this team in the near future.

The Pistons should be trying much harder to trade Ben Gordon than Hamilton IMO.

Betrayer is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Hart View Post
    I am all for clearing cap space but not at the cost of a lottery pick because I don't believe a lot of cap space in free agency is going to do much for this team in the near future.

Agreed on all counts.
    Matt Millen never left Detroit - he just started wearing a very convincing Joe Dumars costume.

DetroitCity313 is offline MotownSports Fan

Agreed. We need young talent real bad.

The thing is, Rip has a lot more demand. I'm sure we are trying harder to deal Gordon, but easier said than done. No giving up the pick though, agreed there.

Joe Dumars has three years to get the Detroit Pistons on track PistonPowered

Not only has Gores given strong support to Dumars, but hes not pressuring Dumars to take shortcuts. Dumars is going to have the green light to build the team the right way over the next three years.
    That is from Chad Ford.

I like that. If you are going to keep a guy, you can't have him scared and trying to win now instead of building the right way. If you're going ot fire him, you do it now. Since they decided not to, this is the right way to procede.

I fully believe Joe will do a good job too, despite what has transpired recently.

I'd like to think the Pistons are exhausting every option to trade away Rip, Gordon and/or Charlie V.

I don't know if it's really a matter that Joe has a luxury of saying "Yeah, I'd rather dump this one vs. this one." If he can find ONE TEAM, just one miserable rotten stinkin' team to unload any of those guys, there are all rotten contracts. These are your three highest-paid contracts and rank as the top three worst contracts on the team.

I read some of these posts and it seems like people think Joe Dumars has a luxury of hand-picking his deals. And I'm sure I'm overblowing it a bit here. But none of these guys have any significant trade value. All still have at least two seasons remaining on contracts that pay them a ridiculous amount of money. And all three proved last year that they are anything but true professionals at this juncture in their career.

People think Rip has value, what is it? People think Rip has more value than Ben, then if Rip's value is minimal, what makes you think anyone would want Ben. Charlie V? Well, that's a lost cause. I'd pick a ton of playground players before I'd select him on my pickup basketball team. All those people can hit jumpers and I can find a 6-3 guy that likes to attack the hoop as well.

I can think there's two ways you get rid of any of those three...
    1) You trade your problem player for someone else's problem player.
    2) You get someone to take them with something that is an attractive piece attached to it. That means a draft pick and/or with Greg Monroe.

Honestly, until those become expiring contracts at the end of the season we're playing, or until they elevate their game why else would anyone be willing to take those guys?

So it probably comes down two one of three scenarios for the Pistons next year. You either do one of the two I mentioned above or struggle through another season with the same cast of clowns, scrap next season and hope they become more attractive a year from now when those contracts are within a year of expiring (at least two of them are). Unless someone can prove otherwise, I think if you want to see change next year, you have to look at it under the parameters that exist. You want change? Unless Joe D creates some magic those are your three options. Which one do you chose?

Actually, there is a fourth option. Maybe we can get Charlie V and Ben Gordon to think that they are more attractive on the open market and not take those player options on the final years of their contracts. That would involve a little brainwashing and probably some understanding how electricity impacts the brain, but I guess it's an option.

My bad, my brainwashing theory needs a little work. Since the player options aren't until 13-14, I guess you'd have to prove to the team willing to pick them up after the 11-12 offseason that your methods will work so that they know the players won't want to pick up that 13-14 option after the 12-13 season.

Quote Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post
    I like that. If you are going to keep a guy, you can't have him scared and trying to win now instead of building the right way. If you're going ot fire him, you do it now. Since they decided not to, this is the right way to procede.

I fully believe Joe will do a good job too, despite what has transpired recently.
    I don't know if anyone can really do too much next year anyway considering the three contracts I just made a post about still exist. A couple complimentary picks, some draft picks - maybe some high ones after the team tanks - that's about all you can do.

Villanueva hopes new coach can relate to players - NBA - Yahoo! Sports

The 36-year-old Wallace, who has been considering retirement, said he might in fact keep playing.

Im leaning more towards coming back, Wallace said. Its just a matter of getting myself healthy and getting ready to play.

DrWho17 is offline MotownSports Fan

This is the correct answer, Hamilton is better then Gordon and Hamilton's contract is shorter.

Detroit Pistons - NBA | Pistons will tender Rodney Stuckey qualifying offer | The Detroit News

Pistons will tender Rodney Stuckey qualifying offer
    Vincent Goodwill/ The Detroit News

In an expected move, the Pistons will tender guard Rodney Stuckey a $3.8 million qualifying offer this week, as Monday was the first day the team could do so.

The team has until June 30 to make an offer, which would make Stuckey a restricted free agent.

If a team signs Stuckey to an offer sheet in free agency, the Pistons would have a week to match the offer. Weeks ago, Stuckey fired agent Steve Banks and moved onto Leon Rose, who represents LeBron James and teammate Richard Hamilton, among others.

Stuckey, the 14th pick in the 2007 draft, averaged 15.5 points and a career-high 5.2 assists this past season.

Aldridge said this in his latest mock draft.

Mock Draft: Fredette, Walker moving up | NBA.com

Pistons will try to re-sign Tayshaun Prince, but it's not just up to them, and if Prince wants to walk, Detroit will need a three to replace him. (Just a thought: doesn't a sign-and-trade between the Pistons and Clippers, with Compton-born Prince going home to L.A. and Grand Rapids-born Chris Kaman going to Detroit make too much sense not to happen? The Clips desperately need a veteran presence in their locker room, as well as a three, and the Pistons could use a center that would allow them to move emerging Greg Monroe to power forward. Trade for Kaman, take Leonard at eight and, voila! A frontcourt is born.)
    Kaman will make $12.7M next year. He has a trade kicker that will pay him 15% of his remaining salary if traded. So that is another $1.905M. So if traded his salary cap number will be $14.6M. That is a ton of money to pay someone so injury prone. Nevermind the fact he isn't the type of player the Pistons need now.

The most interesting part of that blurb was Aldridge saying the Pistons will try to sign Prince. Doesn't he make it sound like if Prince wants to come back, the Pistons will sign him?

T&P_Fan is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Deleterious View Post
    The most interesting part of that blurb was Aldridge saying the Pistons will try to sign Prince. Doesn't he make it sound like if Prince wants to come back, the Pistons will sign him?
    Im going to ignore the Kaman talk because it seems to have been rumored that he will be traded to the Pistons since 1995.

As for the Prince blurb, I have no idea whats going on there. In my mind Prince was 100% gone, a good veteran who is a UFA who could really help some teams fight for a championship. I cant seem him remaining with the Pistons.

Whats Joes strategy if he does re-sign him?

Tells me they have no faith in Daye. Can't say I blame them. But way to have someone ready to take over.

Betrayer is offline MotownSports Fan

We don't need Kaman. He's a similar player to Monroe who is younger and (so far) less injury prone. Monroe needs an athletic shot blocker next to him.

You guys already know how I feel about the replacement for Prince in the starting lineup. It's Jonas. Daye can be the scoring spark off the bench at the 3 and split time with Jonas for an offense/defense contrast. I'll keep saying it: This team needs to get bigger, stronger, and more defensive minded. A starting lineup of Jonas, Monroe, Biyombo at the 3-5 would go a long way towards making that happen.
    Matt Millen never left Detroit - he just started wearing a very convincing Joe Dumars costume.

Quote Originally Posted by T&P_Fan View Post
    Im going to ignore the Kaman talk because it seems to have been rumored that he will be traded to the Pistons since 1995.

As for the Prince blurb, I have no idea whats going on there. In my mind Prince was 100% gone, a good veteran who is a UFA who could really help some teams fight for a championship. I cant seem him remaining with the Pistons.

Whats Joes strategy if he does re-sign him?
    And before him it was Derrick Coleman. But, hey, that eventually happened for about two games when Coleman was near 40. We still have a few years to wait with Kaman.

ScrubBeaterUpper is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Betrayer View Post
    We don't need Kaman. He's a similar player to Monroe who is younger and (so far) less injury prone. Monroe needs an athletic shot blocker next to him.

You guys already know how I feel about the replacement for Prince in the starting lineup. It's Jonas. Daye can be the scoring spark off the bench at the 3 and split time with Jonas for an offense/defense contrast. I'll keep saying it: This team needs to get bigger, stronger, and more defensive minded. A starting lineup of Jonas, Monroe, Biyombo at the 3-5 would go a long way towards making that happen.
    I'd take Al Jefferson before Kaman.

We need more than a shot blocker next to Monroe sadly, we need a post scorer too. I think Monroe's weaknesses hamper our ability to have an ideal frontcourt and we will just have to live with some frontcourt flaws. He does not score well in the post, and he does not block shots and provide fear to opponents on the interior. And post scoring athletic defenders are hard to come by.

ScrubBeaterUpper is offline MotownSports Fan

Speaking of Clipper Big Men, how much would you offer RFA Deandre Jordan.

I'd offer Jordan quite a bit, 8-10 in the current CBA rules.

I can live with re-upping Prince, but it does look bad for Daye and its only acceptable if at least one of Rip/Ben is gone.

No thanks on Kaman. I echo the negative sentiments above. I do kinda like Al Jefferson. A similar player in Zach Randolph had a lot of success this year.

Buddha is offline MotownSports Fan

No way I re-up Tayshaun. Another year of Prince, Hamilton and Ben Wallace dividing the team and ruining another coach?

I love Tayshaun, but his time in Detroit should be over.

I'm still torn on Stuckey. You have to make him the qualifying offer, that's for sure. But has there been a player on the team that's been as effected by the old guard's petulance more than Stuckey? Maybe he can change his attitude with (another) new coach, but if Wallace/Hamilton/Prince come back, I see Stuckey remaining the same selfish, self-absorbed player he's always been.

That not even mentioning that his game hasn't developed much since year one. Can he be the guy we see glimpses of? Overpowering smaller guards and outquicking bigger ones who actually makes a pass to an open teammate? Or will he always be the guy who puts his head down and drives wildly into 3 players, gets his shot blocked, and then doesn't get back on D?

I fear that we will eventually find the answer to that question when we're watching him in another uniform in two years.
    the above opinion is not respected by Deleterious

If they bring Stuckey back, they need to get him some sort of mentor. I don't care if its an old 3rd PG on the roster or an assistant coach. He needs someone in his hear 82 games and every practice. Someone to pay special attention to him and help him develop as a PG.

Find an older guy who would normally retire and offer him the last roster spot for the vets minimum. Hire Eric Snow as an assistant coach and task him with developing Stuckey.

I still want him gone. But if they do invest long term in him, provide him with every tool he needs to succeed.

Blog Entries

I hope Stuckey is ready to develop. From his attitude he seems to think he is already a superstar. If he can just slow the game down and stop rushing everything he has the opportunity to be a big time player.

But I dont see it. I do see Joe wanting to keep him around for awhile though.

Truth is offline MotownSports Fan

If they bring Stuckey back, they need to get him some sort of mentor. I don't care if its an old 3rd PG on the roster or an assistant coach. He needs someone in his hear 82 games and every practice. Someone to pay special attention to him and help him develop as a PG.

Find an older guy who would normally retire and offer him the last roster spot for the vets minimum. Hire Eric Snow as an assistant coach and task him with developing Stuckey.

I still want him gone. But if they do invest long term in him, provide him with every tool he needs to succeed.
    I hate to bring up this over-discussed issue, but Billups would have been a great mentor. I wonder where the Pistons would be if they had kept their backcourt together the last few seasons.

CharlieV

Gym time
    Sorry

tigerz is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Truth View Post
    I wonder where the Pistons would be if they had kept their backcourt together the last few seasons.
    Without Greg Monroe.

Blog Entries

CharlieV

Sorry
    I wonder how many 3s he will practice today.

I will say one thing for Charlie. I think he has always been lazy, in part due to his natural talent. From almost every report, he put in serious, NBA caliber work in the offseason last year. We did not see results, no doubt.

However, only good can come from a heavily improved workout. I'd rather see Charlie gone than anything(is he our amnesty?), but if we are stuck with him, I'm glad to see him working harder. Its not like a young talent has never turned things around by putting in the proper work. I do not mean to shine the turd that is Charlie V, but hey, it is what it is.

Blog Entries

I will say one thing for Charlie. I think he has always been lazy, in part due to his natural talent. From almost every report, he put in serious, NBA caliber work in the offseason last year. We did not see results, no doubt.

However, only good can come from a heavily improved workout. I'd rather see Charlie gone than anything(is he our amnesty?), but if we are stuck with him, I'm glad to see him working harder. Its not like a young talent has never turned things around by putting in the proper work. I do not mean to shine the turd that is Charlie V, but hey, it is what it is.
    He does seem to work hard in the off-season, but it doesnt translate to his on court performance. He has no interest in going into the paint, he is 6'11, he should get more rebounds and be better defensively.

We have seen him take over a game a few times though.

I also feel it needs to be said that Kuester and roster construction were probably a bigger problem with our chemistry than simply the attitudes of Rip,Prince and Ben. I think all of those guys are generally professionals who want to win. With a bunch of guys who not only played the same position, but the same role, we were a disaster from the start. They not only have Rip/Ben trying to split 48 minutes at the 2 guards spot, but they kept Tay and added Mcgrady(under the promise of minutes) . So you couldn't play Rip at the 3 at all to open up minutes and you couldn't give Daye enough minutes to develop him, you couldn't use Stuckey at the 2 as often as you might have liked and we had basically the worst offense and defense in the league from the 4 and 5 spots.

Hopefully Mcgrady and at least one of Rip/Prince/Ben is gone, that opens up the rotation a bit and makes chemistry easier. As does having a new coach who can demand respect and emphasize defense(a big Kue failing as much as the former). We get Jerebko back, Monroe is a year older and we'll add a defensive oriented big at 8 most likely. There is plenty of room for improvement.

Obviously the big key is Stuckey. He showed signs the last 10 games or so of really grasping the Pg position. It took BIllups about this long, so who knows. Also, I think we can live without him being a pure PG if he is efficient and plays D to his potential. He has to be re-signed, whether for us or for trade. He's our most valuable piece outside Monroe and is just hitting his prime. I do like the idea of a mentor/babysitter.

Quote Originally Posted by T&P_Fan View Post
    He does seem to work hard in the off-season, but it doesnt translate to his on court performance. He has no interest in going into the paint, he is 6'11, he should get more rebounds and be better defensively.

We have seen him take over a game a few times though.
    I agree completely, but like I said, I think he has only put in one serious summer of work in his career. If he does it consistently from here on out, it could change him. Kinda like Dirk changed in a way, not that Charlie will ever be on that level. However, Dirk was much less physical and much less interested in D and post play early in his career.

I think there is a role for Charlie as simply an offensive force though honestly. Guys like Frye,Harrington,Bonner etc. help their teams win by being big guys who can knock down shots, even if they don't D or board much. He's a nice compliment to Jerebko in a way.

I heard the reports from the Pistons camp. In fact, if you watched just 5 minutes of Pistons basketball during the first 30 games of the season last year, you probably heard about Charlie's workouts during the offseason.

It's hard to tell how much of that was Pistons' spin and how much of that was actually true. Or maybe most of that was just working on his jumper. From what I saw last year, there wasn't a single aspect of his game that it looked like he improved upon vs. previous years, particularly those things I consider him weak at doing. In fact, I'd argue he seriously regressed.

I can't say one way or the other if he put that work in. I know this is certain, as you said, it didn't show on the court.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast