Page 18 of 28 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 NBA Draft

Deleterious is offline MotownSports Fan

Detroit Pistons - NBA | New ESPN mock draft: Pistons will take Bismack Biyombo | The Detroit News

New ESPN mock draft: Pistons will take Bismack Biyombo
    The Detroit News
    The Pistons will take forward Bismack Biyombo with the No. 8 pick in Thursday's NBA draft, ESPN's Chad Ford predicts.

Ford released his latest mock draft on Tuesday, and wrote this about the Pistons:

"We've had the Pistons taking (Jonas) Valanciunas the past few weeks, but with Valanciunas now planning on returning to Europe for another year, I don't think the Pistons will take the chance."

Ford thinks the Sacramento Kings will take Connecticut guard Kemba Walker with the No. 7 pick, leaving the Pistons with a choice of Biyombo or Texas forward Tristan Thompson.

Ford also writes that Michigan guard Darius Morris won't be drafted until the second round, No. 38 overall, by the Houston Rockets.

VT

T&P_Fan is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

These mock drafts have changed so much over the past week. I am really looking forward to Thursday being over so we can begin discussing nothing for many months...

Hopefully its Biyombo who fills the nothingness void.

MAROTH4MVP is offline MotownSports Fan

I like the idea of drafting Bismack Biyombo.
    I miss you dad.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MAROTH4MVP View Post
    I like the idea of drafting Bismack Biyombo.
    If not him, Im sure Mike Maroth can play some PG, sign em up.

VT

MSUBrian11 is offline Released

Quote Originally Posted by T&P_Fan View Post
    If not him, Im sure Mike Maroth can play some PG, sign em up.
    Joe D likes bigger guards. Walker is 6 foot, and isn't really a true "point" guard. We already have Stuckey, who basically does the same thing.

Latest draft buzz: Kings' No. 7 for Felton? - TrueHoop Blog - ESPN

I'm hearing that if either Kawhi Leonard or Kemba Walker is on the board at No. 8, the Pistons are likely to take one of them. If both are gone, it's down to Biyombo, Tristan Thompson and Markieff Morris. The Pistons really like Valanciunas as well, but sources claim they aren't willing to wait a year to get him.
    Pretty much what I was saying a few days ago. Gores cant wait a year on a player. Shame really, because it probably is the right move.
    VT

Twitter

Yep RT @vgoodwill: Source: Markieff Morris may have put himself in the mix for the No. 8 pick with the #Pistons with his workout today
    VT

Twitter

Kemba Walker could be the player dropping in lottery, especially because sources say Toronto (5th pick) and Detroit (8th) will pass on him.
    Yes! Yes! Yes!
    VT

Hart is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Deleterious View Post
    Latest draft buzz: Kings' No. 7 for Felton? - TrueHoop Blog - ESPN

Pretty much what I was saying a few days ago. Gores cant wait a year on a player. Shame really, because it probably is the right move.
    I really hope this is not true. I think you are spot on with your take on Valenciunas. The fact he will not play in the NBA next year should not effect the Pistons decision. In fact, I would say it may even be the best thing for us.

Not sure why Gores feels like he can't wait a year on a player. It is not like we are going to get somebody who is going to sell tickets. The most important thing is getting the best player for the future.

You buy a crappy team and then draft a guy that cant help you next year? The average season ticket holder wont be happy.
    VT

You buy a crappy team and then draft a guy that cant help you next year? The average season ticket holder wont be happy.
    But are they going to sell their tickets. IMO, we are to the point now where the fans who have season tickets are going to keep them and the fans who don't are not going to purchase them based on who we draft. The way I see it, the average fan has already lost interest in this team and won't get it back until they start winning again.

The best thing Gores can do for his franchise is draft the guy who is going to help him most 5 years from now, even if it means taking some heat in the short term. If Gores passes on Valencianus simply to keep from upsetting some season ticket holders, he is liable to pay for it down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Hart View Post
    But are they going to sell their tickets. IMO, we are to the point now where the fans who have season tickets are going to keep them and the fans who don't are not going to purchase them based on who we draft. The way I see it, the average fan has already lost interest in this team and won't get it back until they start winning again.

The best thing Gores can do for his franchise is draft the guy who is going to help him most 5 years from now, even if it means taking some heat in the short term. If Gores passes on Valencianus simply to keep from upsetting some season ticket holders, he is liable to pay for it down the road.
    They will have an advertising campaign built around the new rookie within 24 hours of drafting him, if not sooner. Cant run those ads for someone in Europe.

You know its true, or they would be no reason for Detroit to pass on him.
    VT

DrWho17 is offline MotownSports Fan

Kawhi Leonard meh only think worse would be one of the Kansas Morriss's.

Nastradamus is offline MotownSports Fan

To take Valanciunas, you'd have to be really sold that he was significantly better than your other options.

Leonard is an interesting idea. Probably wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. We need a SF who can help on both ends of the court. Monroe,JJ and Leonard up front could work. I can't help myself from agreeing with Chad Ford's Jason Terry comparison for Kemba and that is not the type of player I want to add right now.

I don't hate Markieff Morris,but I tend to think he won't be the 8th best player.

Truth is offline MotownSports Fan

Actually, they need a SF too. Pistons suck, take the BPA no matter the position.
    I agree. The sooner Dumars gives up on the idea that he has had either a workable vision or any roster spot filled for years to come, the sooner the Pistons will begin going in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post
    To take Valanciunas, you'd have to be really sold that he was significantly better than your other options.

Leonard is an interesting idea. Probably wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. We need a SF who can help on both ends of the court. Monroe,JJ and Leonard up front could work. I can't help myself from agreeing with Chad Ford's Jason Terry comparison for Kemba and that is not the type of player I want to add right now.

I don't hate Markieff Morris,but I tend to think he won't be the 8th best player.
    If I knew Walker was going to be Jason Terry for the next decade, I would be all over that pick.

I want to believe in Leonard. But every time I watch his film on the internet or watched SDSU on t.v. last year, I just cannot get sold on him. To be honest, I am a little puzzled why any team would consider him ahead of players like Biyombo, Valenciunas, and Walker right now. But I have not followed his workouts or measurements at all so maybe I am missing something.

Adrian Wojnarowski

Y! Sources: San Antonio's engaged in trade talks centering on Tony Parker to move into Thursday's draft lottery: Spurs fielding trade calls for Parker - NBA - Yahoo! Sports
    VT

Sometimes as we get further away from actual games played, GM's and teams get enamored with workouts and measurements.
    VT

Sometimes as we get further away from actual games played, GM's and teams get enamored with workouts and measurements.
    And this is actually working in our favor with regards to Biyombo.

jonjd is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

I'm torn on #8, but would LOVE if the Pistons can somehow snag JaJuan at #33.
    Retired. Thanks for the entertainment.

alwaysthrowheat is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by jonjd View Post
    I'm torn on #8, but would LOVE if the Pistons can somehow snag JaJuan at #33.
    Jajuan Johnson was really soft when I saw him in person. That was against Tom Pritchard, fwiw.

Sam Amick breaks down the foreign players in the draft.

Evaluating Enes Kanter, other international prospects in draft - Sam Amick - SI.com
    VT

Twitter

Suns and Wolves did talk about a Nash deal w/No. 2 pick going back to Phoenix. ESPN.com link w/STEIN_LINE_HQ: es.pn/liYxw5
    WTF. Only Kahn would even discuss this. I know the reason was to mentor Rubio, and I like that idea. But I'm not burning a #2 pick to do it.
    VT

Hrm, Lakers should think about that. Bynum probably will never be healthy and only get worse.

I like the deal trading the #8 for Houston's 14/23, in this draft their isn't a lot of separation after the top few picks anyway.

Blog Entries

Every thing David Kahn wants to do makes zero sense. How the hell is he an NBA GM? That is one person I honestly feel I could a better job then.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DrWho17 View Post
    I like the deal trading the #8 for Houston's 14/23, in this draft their isn't a lot of separation after the top few picks anyway.
    I didnt like it too much to begin with, but the more I think about it, the more it doesnt sound awful.

1 more day before we can put all the speculation behind us.

4hzglory is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by DrWho17 View Post
    If we could still get Valanciunas or Biyombo at 14, i would definitely do it. If both were available at 8, but gone by 14, I would be pretty disappointed.
    Micah 7:7

ScrubBeaterUpper is offline MotownSports Fan

Daryl Morey's Twitter:

Our rankings have 22 1st round quality players in the draft. Normal range is 15-19

Jonathan Givony

Funny reading some of these reports and then calling people you're close w/on those specific teams. "We haven't even talked w/those guys!"
    As one GM told me last night: "Now is the time to throw EVERYTHING against the wall and hope SOMETHING sticks tomorrow." Believe nothing.
    And I'm not talking about the Nash thing. I've heard Minnesota is indeed calling every NBA team offering trades for every player they covet.
    VT

Twitter

If San Antonio manages to jump up to 7 (highly doutbful), look for them to take Jonas Valanciunas.
    VT

4 of the drafts best bargains. Guys that will contribute and you can get later in the draft.

Value plan: Draft's best bargains - TrueHoop Blog - ESPN

Nikola Vucevic interests me a bit.
    VT

Quote Originally Posted by Hart View Post
    If I knew Walker was going to be Jason Terry for the next decade, I would be all over that pick.

I want to believe in Leonard. But every time I watch his film on the internet or watched SDSU on t.v. last year, I just cannot get sold on him. To be honest, I am a little puzzled why any team would consider him ahead of players like Biyombo, Valenciunas, and Walker right now. But I have not followed his workouts or measurements at all so maybe I am missing something.
    Leonard seems to be impressing. I also have a hard time getting sold on him, as I can't fully envision what he'll be in the league. Could be Gerald Wallace like they say, but not sure he's as athletic.

Getting a JAson Terry at 8 sounds nice I guess, but with Gordon,Stuckey and Bynum on the roster, no thanks.

4 of the drafts best bargains. Guys that will contribute and you can get later in the draft.

Value plan: Draft's best bargains - TrueHoop Blog - ESPN

Nikola Vucevic interests me a bit.
    A lot of people say Vucevic looks identical to Kanter in workouts. Comparisons from Okur to Marc Gasol(which I could actually see). Could be a steal. Man I'd love to trade down for something like 14 and 23 from Houston. I'd love to bring 2 or 3 players out of this draft. I think there are going to be a lot of steals.

Edit - Hey Daryl Morey seems to agree with me!

Quote Originally Posted by T&P_Fan View Post
    Every thing David Kahn wants to do makes zero sense. How the hell is he an NBA GM? That is one person I honestly feel I could a better job then.
    I think a lot of the Minnesota rumors are BS. I think he's maybe calling about a lot of the available stars, but I don't beleive stuff like he' give up the 2 for Nash while just getting Rubio or give up 2 and Love for Gasol, an arguably inferior player to Love, especially going forward.

Bynum would be fantastic for them though. Bynum and Love up front is nasty, that takes you to the 'offs IMO.

Basketball Prospectus | 2011 Draft by Similarity

2011 Draft by Similarity
    by Kevin Pelton

Player comparisons are probably as old as the NBA Draft. As we seek to understand how players will translate to the NBA, using the experience of players with similar skills is helpful. Yet the danger is that subjective comparisons will be colored by irrelevant factors. Our similarity scores take a different approach, using NCAA statistical performance adjusted both for the transition from college to the pros and strength of schedule. Players are compared in 13 categories, including height and weight, to their predecessors within six months of the same age at the time they were drafted. (See here for more details on the process.)

Going by a single player comparison can be dangerous. Most players have a group of comparables that are diverse in terms of their NBA success. Using age at the time the player is drafted limits the pool of possible comparisons, as does the fact that our database goes back only to 2000 and is not complete until 2006 or so. (Before that, it was difficult to track down team statistics to adjust for pace.) If the next Michael Jordan really was in this draft, we wouldn't be able to make the comparison. So don't read more into these comparisons than is really there, especially in cases where the similarity score is low. (They're scored out of 100, with 95 indicating a decent match and 90 generally the cutoff for any real similarity.) Still, these comparison are fun and can be enlightening at times.

Players are ranked by their current spot in DraftExpress' mock draft. A handful of players from overseas, most notably Davis Bertans, are not listed because of insufficient stats.
    Interesting to look at it. Here are a few players the Pistons are rumored to be after and their comparison.

Kemba Walker <> D.J. Augustin 96.5

Jonas Valanciunas <> Dwight Howard 90.3

Kawhi Leonard <> Joe Johnson 96.5

Tristan Thompson <> Darrell Arthur 97.5

Bismack Biyombo <> Sean Williams 94.1

And now Darius Morris

Darius Morris <> Deron Williams 96.5

Riiiiiight.
    VT

Blog Entries

Thats funny, I cant see Morris ever being the type of player as Williams, regardless of skill. They play differently.

tigerz is offline MotownSports Fan

Biyombo and Williams seem like pretty good comps physically but Williams was/is a huge knucklehead.

On a related note Hollinger's draft rater is out and it reinforces my thought that the least satisfying pick would be a Morris twin in the first. Thompson is the big surprise at #3, his raw score was higher than Monroe had as #4 rated player last year. I guess Hollinger has a pretty good track record with this thing.

Good news for Pistons fans from John Hollinger&#039;s Draft Rater - Life On Dumars - A Detroit Pistons Blog

Page 18 of 28 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast