Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast
    Truth is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Hart View Post
    Certainly not. The return for Anthony is going to be a huge part of the team. They are not likely to equal return but they will at least will get some pieces.
    Right, which is why I don't think they'd be interested in Rip, his contract or finding Billups a backcourt partner.

Deleterious is online now MotownSports Fan

If Anthony does get moved, I expect Billups will be the next out the door.

Denver would probably go into rebuild mode and Billups can still bring back a little something. I think he is on the last year of his deal - or next year is a team option - so they might just let him expire for the cap space.
    VT

Top 15 NBA Expiring Contracts | Dime Magazine (dimemag.com) : Daily NBA News, NBA Trades, NBA Rumors, Basketball Videos, Sneakers

Top 15 expiring contracts in the league. Basically, a list of guys the Pistons should probably be targeting for a Rip trade.
    VT

Buddha is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Deleterious View Post
    Top 15 NBA Expiring Contracts | Dime Magazine (dimemag.com) : Daily NBA News, NBA Trades, NBA Rumors, Basketball Videos, Sneakers

Top 15 expiring contracts in the league. Basically, a list of guys the Pistons should probably be targeting for a Rip trade.
    Can't see any of those teams taking Rip.

Phoenix for Richardson? Throw Jerebko in there or something? Still probably not.
    the above opinion is not respected by Deleterious

NBA HD: How To Get Your Free Agents Half-Off | Hardwood Paroxysm

HP outlines the importance of signing players to extensions rather than letting them hit the free agent market. Specifically, how it saves the team a lot of money and gets them more value.

I'm posting it here instead of the NBA forum because the Pistons are dealing with this right now with Stuckey. Although his situation is slightly different because of the new CBA coming next summer. Dumars is most likely waiting on that before signing Stuckey in hopes of getting him cheaper after the new CBA kicks in.
    VT

Quote Originally Posted by Buddha View Post
    Can't see any of those teams taking Rip.

Phoenix for Richardson? Throw Jerebko in there or something? Still probably not.
    I didn't even look at the teams or players before posting. I guess I should have done that.

Maybe send Rip for that Prince guy.
    VT

Hart is offline MotownSports Fan

NBA HD: How To Get Your Free Agents Half-Off | Hardwood Paroxysm

HP outlines the importance of signing players to extensions rather than letting them hit the free agent market. Specifically, how it saves the team a lot of money and gets them more value.

I'm posting it here instead of the NBA forum because the Pistons are dealing with this right now with Stuckey. Although his situation is slightly different because of the new CBA coming next summer. Dumars is most likely waiting on that before signing Stuckey in hopes of getting him cheaper after the new CBA kicks in.
    This is a crucial seasoning in determining whether Stuckey is even worth resigning to a long term contract. Of course, if he has a big year, the price will go up. But the Pistons probably can't really afford to take the chance of giving him a guaranteed contract after his development kind of stagnated last year.

Hart is offline MotownSports Fan

If Anthony does get moved, I expect Billups will be the next out the door.

Denver would probably go into rebuild mode and Billups can still bring back a little something. I think he is on the last year of his deal - or next year is a team option - so they might just let him expire for the cap space.
    I think this is probably true. Personally, I think Rip is more valuable to Denver with Anthony than without him. My feeling is that Denver would be a legit contender but for two major weaknesses: a good shooting guard, and a post defender who is a worker/physical presences (not just an energy guy like Chris Anderson or Kenyon Martin). Anthony, Nene, and Billups are an awesome core but not enough without a shooting guard and a another warrior in the paint. Rip and Ben would be perfect fits for them. Of course, there might be other teams that can provide these pieces as well.

straight kays is offline MotownSports Fan

I thought stuckey was our dominant player for a good 30 game stretch...before he got hurt...i don't think he regressed at all. he played really strong defense, attacked and rebounded...but Dumars must look at the CBA negotiations before extending him.

BDL just finished ranking the centers. The Pistons didn't have one in the top 30.

So that is no top 30 players in the C or PF spot for the Pistons.
    VT

DetroitCity313 is offline MotownSports Fan

BDL just finished ranking the centers. The Pistons didn't have one in the top 30.

So that is no top 30 players in the C or PF spot for the Pistons.
    Sad thing is- you can't even argue its media bias/we got overlooked- we don't deserve one of those spots at PF or C.

Hopefully Monroe can fill that void.

Shaq talking about his free agency over the summer. Do you believe Dumars made an offer like that to him?

Q&A with NBA great Shaquille O'Neal on his future, the New Orleans Hornets, LSU | NOLA.com

Atlanta was cool, but they don’t have a lot of national television games. But Boston, with Kevin Garnett, Ray Allen, Paul Pierce, I said we can do it. A lot of people said I only got the league minimum salary, but that’s all right. I’m the luckiest guy in the world. I’ve had four max contracts in one lifetime, I don’t care about that little million. Did I want $10 million? I’m always going to put the number high. I could have gotten $8 million from Atlanta and Detroit, but it wasn’t about that. It was about being somewhere and being seen and winning.
    VT

ScrubBeaterUpper is offline MotownSports Fan

Shaq talking about his free agency over the summer. Do you believe Dumars made an offer like that to him?

Q&A with NBA great Shaquille O'Neal on his future, the New Orleans Hornets, LSU | NOLA.com
    Did we even have 8 million to give him? Maybe he meant over 3 years.

Probably would have been for 2 years, like his Boston deal.
    VT

Betrayer is offline MotownSports Fan

It wouldn't surprise me if he got that offer. Joe probably wanted to do anything to get a name in here and hopefully distract the fans (get them off his back) for a bit while he tries to rebuild and fails at making the trades he wants. Same with the TMac move.
    Matt Millen never left Detroit - he just started wearing a very convincing Joe Dumars costume.

sportz4life is offline Released

Quote Originally Posted by Betrayer View Post
    It wouldn't surprise me if he got that offer. Joe probably wanted to do anything to get a name in here and hopefully distract the fans (get them off his back) for a bit while he tries to rebuild and fails at making the trades he wants. Same with the TMac move.
    PR..when you can't get real players..get name players, even if they can't play..it distracts the causual uniformed fan..from how much your team SUCKS..

DetroitCity313 is offline MotownSports Fan

Seems like the issue was being seen more than winning for Shaq. Boston just happened to be a place where both are possible.

Pistons' John Kuester on 'hot seat,' blogger writes | detnews.com | The Detroit News

Pistons' John Kuester on 'hot seat,' blogger writes

The Pistons' John Kuester is on the "hot seat" and is one of four coaches in danger of being fired this season, CBS Sportsline NBA blogger Matt Moore writes.

The others: Toronto's Jay Triano, Indiana's Jim O'Brien and Washington's Flip Saunders, a former Pistons coach.

Writes Moore of Kuester:
    "The offensive wiz of a team now considered to be one of the greater disappointments of the last decade had a rough opening season. Injuries and subpar play from their big free agents (which most people saw coming outside of the Pistons, though not to the degree) played a part, but this is a cold hearted business that very rarely provides reasonable responses to legitimate causes for losing. If Kuester can't get the Pistons turned around with that payroll, his reputation may not spare him from the axe of Joe Dumars."
    Not sure I agree, but who knows.
    VT

Euphdude is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Has any NBA team fired more head coaches than Dumars has during his tenure?

sportz4life is offline Released

Quote Originally Posted by Euphdude View Post
    Has any NBA team fired more head coaches than Dumars has during his tenure?
    6 ECF..means it doesn't count..you get to fire 1 coach for each final..
    Last edited by sportz4life; 09-09-2010 at 11:18 PM.

Where Kuester earned the reputation as an offensive wiz I'll never know.

Quote Originally Posted by Truth View Post
    Where Kuester earned the reputation as an offensive wiz I'll never know.
    I think this was posted before, but still worth a laugh.

VT

PISTONS: Game On

Game On

by Keith Langlois

It is to the NBA what the first sighting of a robin is to Michigan – a sign that something welcome is around the corner. The first full-court scrimmage of summer broke out Monday at the Pistons’ practice facility.
    This one involved six Pistons – Ben Wallace, Charlie Villanueva, Jonas Jerebko, DaJuan Summers and rookies Greg Monroe and Terrico White. A few other players who’ve frequented the gym in recent weeks – including Ben Gordon, Tracy McGrady, Will Bynum and Rodney Stuckey – will make the scrimmages leading to the Sept. 28 opening of training camp even more interesting in the days ahead, but it was a good run that underscored how competitive this camp figures to be.

Wallace and Monroe went head to head in one matchup, Jerebko and Villanueva in another, White and Summers in a third.

The Jerebko-Villanueva pairing was especially worth watching with Jerebko the incumbent at power forward and Villanueva looking to close the gap after putting in a summer’s worth of work that has everybody – from Joe Dumars to John Kuester to his teammates – praising his work ethic and resolve to put last season’s disappointment to rest.

Everybody had their moments in the 20 minutes or so they went full court after the usual brisk workout under Arnie Kander’s direction. But Charlie V might have been the standout.

In just those 20 minutes, he scored impressively in just about every way you can do it. Maybe his best moment was grabbing a defensive rebound in traffic, covering the length of the floor in four dribbles and driving hard to finish a contested layup. It was not a moment you’d have expected Villanueva to have in his arsenal, and it speaks to the work he did with Kander on explosive movement this summer and to the confidence he feels in his new level of conditioning.

He scored from the 3-point line, posted up and scored over Jerebko with a half-hook and had another wow moment with a terrific drive from the wing and finish. He also had the pass of a day, a one-handed bullet from the wing through the lane that led to the winner in the first of two mini-games.

Jerebko did everything he did last season – with more polish. He ran the floor, handled the ball, knocked down a few perimeter shots and crashed the offensive glass.

The Monroe-Wallace matchup was instructive and hinted at what Monroe can add to the Pistons offensively. The first time Monroe was isolated on Big Ben, he patiently worked him and eventually went with his left hand to the baseline – where he discovered Wallace’s patience and defensive brilliance. Monroe thought he had Wallace beat and went under the basket to use the rim for protection, but Big Ben scooted across the lane like he did in his 20s and flicked the ball out of Monroe’s hands just as he was about to drop in a lefty layup.

Later, Monroe got Wallace off his feet with a gorgeous up-and-under move to get inside, feeding a pretty pass to Jerebko for an open 10-footer he made. Wallace finished the second game with a wicked crossover dribble and layup that had everyone whistling.

White showed nice form in dropping several jump shots and Summers showed off what looks like an improved handle to take it to the basket several times.

The Pistons have had very little in the way or drama in their training camps for several seasons now. More was at stake last year than the previous five or six, of course, when the starting five was etched in stone and only the back end of the rotation, if that, was in doubt.

This year? It’s fair to say there’s competition at every spot. Wallace, Rip Hamilton and Tayshaun Prince are heavy favorites to remain starters, of course, both for their histories here and the trust Kuester has in them, but the right to finish games is something that could be at stake on a game-to-game basis if the players behind them – especially at the loaded perimeter spots – play up to their expectations.

Nice moment Friday at the practice facility, when Kuester came out of his office and called the handful of players who’d just finished their individual workouts plus another 10 or so members of the staff together at mid-court. Kuester had to fetch Ben Wallace away from the weight room, where he was about to throw around a few tons of steel.
    Then administrative assistant Missy Erwin emerged from the executive offices holding a birthday cake with one large lit candle in the middle of it – and everyone stood at mid-court singing happy birthday to Wallace, who turned 36 that day.

It’s looking as if the Pistons will go to camp with the 15 players under contract and no more. Last year, they brought in Chucky Atkins on the day before camp opened and he unexpectedly made the team, beating out 2008 second-rounder Deron Washington for the 15th spot, and stuck around all season, even starting 11 games when injuries depleted the backcourt. Atkins is going to camp with Phoenix this season.
    VT

Buddha is offline MotownSports Fan

A Charlie V fluff piece?

Let's see him do it on a consistent basis before we get excited....

...not saying anyone other than Langlois is excited.
    the above opinion is not respected by Deleterious

Anthony is offline MotownSports Fan
    Harrison Township, Michigan, United States

A Charlie V fluff piece?

Twitter has been fluffing him today. Dont buy it.
    Now on to a more interesting post
    Follow me on twitter @anthonyg788

I think this was posted before, but still worth a laugh.

I remember seeing that here. It's as funny now as it was then. Wasn't that from the season James pretty much died of exhaustion in the playoffs? It really was like give James the ball and arrange everybody else to be either out of the way or in position for a high five.

A Charlie V fluff piece?

Spirited pre-camp scrimmages might provide the only highlights of the season.

I remember seeing that here. It's as funny now as it was then. Wasn't that from the season James pretty much died of exhaustion in the playoffs? It really was like give James the ball and arrange everybody else to be either out of the way or in position for a high five.
    Yeah, I think it was two years ago when they lost to Orlando in the ECF's.
    VT

Betrayer is offline MotownSports Fan

Charlie plays great in games that don't mean anything or when we're down by 20. I want to see him step up just once when the game is actually on the line. I also want to see if all of this "hard work" has him looking like he might have lifted a dumbell even once in the offseason or if he still looks as soft and doughy as usual. A little strength might help him should actually decide to try to get a tough defensive rebound once this year.
    Matt Millen never left Detroit - he just started wearing a very convincing Joe Dumars costume.

T&P_Fan is online now MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Maybe this is the year Charlie V reaches his potential. Some games he can just dominate. But the coaching staff has such little confidence in him because he is so dreadful on the defensive side of the ball, which causes him to loss confidence in every facet of his game.

This pistons roster is just weird. So many guards and no dominate big men. Hopefully Monroe can solidify the PF position.

drownwithyou is online now MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by T&P_Fan View Post
    This pistons roster is just weird. So many guards and no dominate big men. Hopefully Monroe can solidify the PF position.
    I thought the Pistons were going to use him at center?
    2014 AAT: Guido Knudson Lakeland stats: 4.2 IP - 0.00 ERA, 0.857 WHIP, 10 K/4 BB, 2 Saves
    Twitter | Last.fm | Blog

Quote Originally Posted by drownwithyou View Post
    I thought the Pistons were going to use him at center?
    Thats probably what will happen. Jerebko and CV at the PF spot with Ben and Monroe at C. Max filling in where needed.
    VT

Detroit Rock City is offline MotownSports Fan

Almost have to split Ben and Monroe at Center so Jonas and CV can get enough PT to contribute like they can. If everyone stays healthy, I don't see why they can't be in the playoffs.
    2014 AAT: 1B Mike Hessman

Injuries might actually help them. They had a better record last year with Rip and Prince out of the lineup.
    VT

Detroit Rock City is offline MotownSports Fan

I would much rather everyone stay healthy and have a full arsenal of guys every night. Rip is gonna give you 17-19 a night and Tay was very solid to finish the year the last year. They are a much better team with both of them in the lineup.
    2014 AAT: 1B Mike Hessman

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Rock City View Post
    I would much rather everyone stay healthy and have a full arsenal of guys every night. Rip is gonna give you 17-19 a night and Tay was very solid to finish the year the last year. They are a much better team with both of them in the lineup.
    Very debatable.
    VT

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Rock City View Post
    That depends on if they are going to run an actual offense. As it was last season it seemed to be a lot of one-on-one nonsense where Stuckey or Gordon either dribbled the ball the for the better part of the shot clock before taking a shot or passing it to someone who wasn't in position to score.

Euphdude is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

That depends on if they are going to run an actual offense. As it was last season it seemed to be a lot of one-on-one nonsense where Stuckey or Gordon either dribbled the ball the for the better part of the shot clock before taking a shot or passing it to someone who wasn't in position to score.
    Agreed, which was surprising given Kuester's supposed offensive play calling superiority.

Anthony is offline MotownSports Fan
    Harrison Township, Michigan, United States

rip and prince should have followed Chauncey out the door.
    Now on to a more interesting post
    Follow me on twitter @anthonyg788

Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast