Page 8 of 34 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010 NBA Draft

Buddha is offline MotownSports Fan

Still a decent shot to pass Washington.
    the above opinion is not respected by Deleterious

Deleterious is online now MotownSports Fan

Standings after the games on Sunday, 4/11.

Nobody wants the 3rd spot. Golden State won, dropping them into a tie with Washington and Sacramento for 3rd.

If the Pistons hadn't won 3 in a row they would be up 2 games on the 4 place teams right now with 2 games left.

Chicago is now in the 8th seed and Toronto is in the lottery. But like I said, I am not changing it now.

Golden State

Utah
    @Portland

Sacramento

Houston
    @Lakers

Washington

@New York
    Indiana

Detroit

Toronto
    @Minnesota

Philadelphia

Miami
    @Orlando

Wes Johnson declared for the draft.

Underclassmen declaring for the draft

No desire to make an update today. Detroit, Sacramento, Philadelphia, and Washington all lost. So look at the last update and its basically the same. Detroit in 6th place with 1 game left. Here are the remaining schedules.

Golden State

Utah
    @Portland

Sacramento

@Lakers

Washington

Indiana

Detroit

@Minnesota

Philadelphia

@Orlando

Got lazy at the end of the year, no updates. Sacramento and Golden State both lost last night. Pistons ahead of Philly by 1 game, behind Sacramento, Washington, and Golden State by 1.

Sacramento is done for year, cant catch them.

Washington and Golden State both play tonight. GS @ Portland (Roy is out). Washington hosts Indiana. Win by either team with a Piston loss and we are tied for 5th. Win by both and a Piston loss and we are tied for 4th.

Philadelphia also plays tonight. They play at Orlando, who will probably be resting some players. Piston win and 76er loss and we are tied for 6th.

Currently: Alone in the 6th slot.

Best Case: Tied for 4th with 2 teams.

Worst Case: Tied for 6th with 1 team.

So technically we cant drop any spots. But if we let Philadelphia tie us, we could end up in the 7th slot if we lose the coin flip.

Anyway, last game of the season for everyone. So we will know tonight.

Detroit Pistons Draft Dreams: Ed Davis | MLive.com

Detroit Pistons Draft Dreams: Ed Davis

nd discussing the latest Pistons news, rumors and opinions
    Statewide
    Detroit Pistons Draft Dreams: Ed Davis
    By Patrick Hayes | The Flint Journal
    April 14, 2010, 2:00PM

Considered by some to be a top three pick earlier in the season, North Carolina's Ed Davis has become a bit of a forgotten man since the Tar Heels didn't make the NCAA tourney and other promising less known bigs made names for themselves this season.

But Davis is still a skilled player with a ton of potential who should be gone within the first 10 picks or so.

Measurables: 6-10, 225 pounds, sophomore F at North Carolina.

Stats: 12.9 points, 9.2 rebounds, 2.7 blocks, 58 percent field goal percentage in 26.9 minutes per game.

Projected: 7th (DraftExpress); 13th (NBADraft.net).

Why he fits: I think any Piston fan hoping for a big man would naturally be attracted to this one Davis stat: in two years at UNC, he's never attempted a three-pointer.

The consensus is, with Charlie Villanueva under contract, the Pistons need to add a big man who's going to stay in the paint. In Davis, they'd get one of the better shot-blockers in the country, a guy who's won a national title and is strong with room on his frame to continue adding muscle.

He has a huge wingspan, is a good rebounder and while he's far from a finished product offensively, he did improve his offensive production from his freshman to sophomore seasons at UNC. He also missed significant time with a broken wrist, so it's conceivable he would've improved even more had he played a full season.

Why he doesn't fit: There's a lot of debate about whether a project/upside player will do the Pistons much good next season. The frontcourt is currently so thin that any player drafted is likely to play, but readiness is another matter. It's really hard to gauge how ready the top-of-the-draft bigs are to contribute. All of them are young and all have limitations. Davis is no different. Because whoever is drafted is likely to be thrust into a rotation spot, ready or not, the Pistons have to get the most NBA-ready guy they can. I'm not sure that guy is Davis, but I'm not sure it isn't him either.

Why I'd draft him: Playing two years at Carolina, Davis should be fairly well-schooled in fundamentals. He's not fellow UNC alum Rasheed Wallace in terms of knowledge of fundamentals and readiness to play, but he's already a good rebounder, a guy who's required to play defense in college and someone who I'd be pretty confident could help the Pistons for 20-25 minutes a game up front immediately.

If they end up 7th or lower, I could definitely see them taking Davis.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddha View Post
    If they end up 7th or lower, I could definitely see them taking Davis.
    Just curious why 7th? Who do you see them taking if they landed at 5 or 6 and say Cousins, Favors, and Turner are gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Deleterious View Post
    Just curious why 7th? Who do you see them taking if they landed at 5 or 6 and say Cousins, Favors, and Turner are gone.
    Aminu or Monroe seem to be Joe's type of big men at the moment. Skilled guys more than bangers in the post. Also could take Wes Johnson as a potential Tayshaun replacement (position wise). Whiteside too given his "upside."

But you're right, they could take Davis before 7. I think they'd take Davis over Aldrich.

Aminu or Monroe seem to be Joe's type of big men at the moment. Skilled guys more than bangers in the post. Also could take Wes Johnson as a potential Tayshaun replacement (position wise). Whiteside too given his "upside."

But you're right, they could take Davis before 7. I think they'd take Davis over Aldrich.
    I didn't see a lot of Monroe, but did like what I saw. Everyone says he is very passive though and that bugs me.

Considering they messed up their draft position, I would be pretty happy with one of Monroe/Davis/Johnson/Whiteside in the 5-7 slot. Should be interesting to see how things shake out once the private workouts start.

I didn't see a lot of Monroe, but did like what I saw. Everyone says he is very passive though and that bugs me.

Considering they messed up their draft position, I would be pretty happy with one of Monroe/Davis/Johnson/Whiteside in the 5-7 slot. Should be interesting to see how things shake out once the private workouts start.
    I wonder if Joe would have the balls to take another Euro?

sportz4life is offline Released

I wonder if Joe would have the balls to take another Euro?
    I'm not sure i would describe that as balls.

Hart is offline MotownSports Fan

I really don't like that 5-8 range. Like I said before, if we played Mike D'Antoni basketball, I like Aminu as a power forward but we don't have the point guard, center, or coach for that. Whiteside or Monroe might be decent picks but they are hard for me to get excited about. I have said before that I think we have to draft a big man or point guard so Wesley Johnson does not really interest me. There is not enough upside with Aldrich and Ed Davis just hasn't shown enough at the college level to satisfy me.

Ricky Rubio...go get him.

Quote Originally Posted by Hart View Post
    I really don't like that 5-8 range. Like I said before, if we played Mike D'Antoni basketball, I like Aminu as a power forward but we don't have the point guard, center, or coach for that. Whiteside or Monroe might be decent picks but they are hard for me to get excited about. I have said before that I think we have to draft a big man or point guard so Wesley Johnson does not really interest me. There is not enough upside with Aldrich and Ed Davis just hasn't shown enough at the college level to satisfy me.

You know they wont do that. They need someone to sell tickets next year. Rubio cant do that from Europe. Not saying its a bad idea though.

You know they wont do that. They need someone to sell tickets next year. Rubio cant do that from Europe. Not saying its a bad idea though.
    The Pistons aren't going to be selling tickets after about a quarter of the season anyways.

Darren Collison is an intriguing prospect as well. He has been terrific as a starter this year and I really think NO needs to at least consider the prospect of turning him into value at another position.

Go into next year with no free agents of any significance added and no draft pick added. Nobody will even know you are playing a game.

DrWho17 is offline MotownSports Fan

I was thinking about Love, for some reason Minnesota doesn't seem to like him much. I was thinking about trying to send Stuckey/#6 for Love/#16, or something like that.

sinister porpoise is offline MotownSports Fan

I don't think Aminu has shown much more in college than Davis. Rather similar stats this year but Davis has better size. Aminu will need to add range on his jumper to be a successful NBA player which Davis won't need to do because of their relative positions.

right now for the Pistons I'd go

1. John Wall
    2. Derrick Favors
    3. DeMarcus Cousins
    4. Ed Davis
    5. Al-Farouq Aminu
    6. Greg Monroe (not declared yet, I have questions about his athleticism/upside)
    7. Evan Turner (not a fan, lots of turnovers and not a great shooter)
    8. Donatas Montiejunas

Quote Originally Posted by DrWho17 View Post
    I was thinking about Love, for some reason Minnesota doesn't seem to like him much. I was thinking about trying to send Stuckey/#6 for Love/#16, or something like that.
    I wouldn't mind Love at all but because he lacks athleticism and conditioning I think Stuckey right now is more valuable around the league.

Go into next year with no free agents of any significance added and no draft pick added. Nobody will even know you are playing a game.
    I am not playing the political game. I am just speculating what is the best way to rebuild. I know the Piston's brass has to worry about selling tickets next year but I really don't see anything they can do that will make a significant difference so you mights as well do what's best for the team and not worry about selling tickets at this point.

Edit: this is assuming we don't get one of the first three picks.

Quote Originally Posted by sinister porpoise View Post
    I don't think Aminu has shown much more in college than Davis. Rather similar stats this year but Davis has better size. Aminu will need to add range on his jumper to be a successful NBA player which Davis won't need to do because of their relative positions.

1. John Wall
    2. Derrick Favors
    3. DeMarcus Cousins
    4. Ed Davis
    5. Al-Farouq Aminu
    6. Greg Monroe (not declared yet, I have questions about his athleticism/upside)
    8. Donatas Montiejunas

I wouldn't mind Love at all but because he lacks athleticism and conditioning I think Stuckey right now is more valuable around the league.
    The difference between Aminu and Turner is athleticism. Aminu is just flat out more explosive. And I am guessing that even though Davis is taller, Aminu will measure out with the longer wingspan before the draft.

1. John Wall
    2. Derrick Favors
    3. DeMarcus Cousins
    4. Ed Davis
    5. Al-Farouq Aminu
    8. Donatas Montiejunas

Kids..see what happens when you are relgated to watching UM basketball for years..

Elevate is offline MotownSports Fan

Nice insight sportz. No one else on this board can say so little yet be a bigger jerk than you.

My preferred Pistons draft list as of today:

1) Wall
    2) Cousins
    3) Favors
    4) Johnson
    5) Turner
    6) Aminu
    7) Monroe
    8) Henry
    9) Orton
    10) Davis
    11) Patterson
    12) Bradley
    13) Whiteside
    14) Bledsoe
    Last edited by Elevate; 04-16-2010 at 01:15 PM.

I would be in favor of trading for Kevin Love. Also very much in favor of moving Stuckey. Not so sure about giving up that pick though...

Quote Originally Posted by Elevate View Post
    I would be in favor of trading for Kevin Love. Also very much in favor of moving Stuckey. Not so sure about giving up that pick though...
    Maybe I am overvaluing Stuckey, but I think you could do that deal straight up. Especially since like DrWho said, Minnesota doesn't seem to like Love for whatever reason. If Minnesota picks Cousins or Favors, I could easily see them moving Love.

Generally, I am not a fan of big guys who don't block shots but I would make an exception for Love. Averaging 11 rebounds in less than 30 minutes per game is impressive.

I can understand Minnesota wanting to deal him. Neither Love nor Jefferson moves well, which hurts their help defense. Favors would be a much better fit next to Jefferson.

Quote Originally Posted by Elevate View Post
    Nice insight sportz. No one else on this board can say so little yet be a bigger jerk than you.

My preferred Pistons draft list as of today:

1) Wall
    2) Cousins
    3) Favors
    4) Johnson
    5) Turner
    6) Aminu
    7) Monroe
    8) Henry
    9) Orton
    10) Davis
    11) Patterson
    12) Bradley
    13) Whiteside
    14) Bledsoe
    Nice to know I'm good at something. yeah Evan Turner at 7..

According to Langlois, we should know today if we got the 6th or 7th slot.

sinister porpoise is offline MotownSports Fan

According to Langlois, we should know today if we got the 6th or 7th slot.
    Twitter / Official Pistons: Bad news: Philly wins lott ...

So the Pistons can pick 1,2,3,7,8, or 9th.

Wouldn't 10th also be a possibility?

Wouldn't 10th also be a possibility?
    Yep, the chart has it rounded to 3 decimal spots so it read .000 for 10th. But yeah, it should be possible as well.

My quick and dirty mock up to the Pistons. Don't go all crazy on me or laugh too hard. I would consider this a working paper. Plenty of changes to come as teams work guys out, measurements come in, etc.

1) NJN - John Wall - PG - Kentucky
    2) MIN - Evan Turner - SG/SF - Ohio State
    3) SAC - DeMarcus Cousins - C - Kentucky
    4) GSW - Derrick Favors - PF - Georgia Tech
    5) WAS - Cole Aldrich - C - Kansas
    6) PHI - Greg Monroe - PF/C - Georgetown
    7) DET - Ed Davis - PF - North Carolina

Nets pick needs no explanation. Minnesota could use either of the 2 bigs. But with them wanting Darko back, and it sounds like Nikola Peković is coming over from Europe next year, they wont have room for them when you include Love and Jefferson. If Jefferson and/or Love are traded before the draft, I would switch this to Cousins or Favors.

Sacramento needs a center. Hawes isn't horrible, but makes a better backup. Hard to take Favors with Landry on the team. Sacramento has a lot of young and talented bigs now.

Golden State needs a big and Favors will fit well there. He is athletic and can run the floor well with them. Picking Aminu here wouldn't shock me either.

The first shocker of the draft. Washington has a team full of chuckers. They need someone to do the dirty work of playing defense and rebounding. Aldrich can provide that. Him and Blatche make a nice combo at the 4/5, and very young. Aminu is the other option here.

Philadelphia cant really draft Aminu here. I don't really have a good feel here at all.

Ed Davis will block shots and rebound right away. He needs to add 20+ pounds of muscle. Needs to work on creating his own shot. Not a bad pick at 7.

I know people will say Aminu should be the pick if I still think he is on the board. I just think he would suffer in our slow it down offense. Plus, I am still not sure if he is a 3 or 4.

My quick and dirty mock up to the Pistons. Don't go all crazy on me or laugh too hard. I would consider this a working paper. Plenty of changes to come as teams work guys out, measurements come in, etc.

1) NJN - John Wall - PG - Kentucky
    2) MIN - Evan Turner - SG/SF - Ohio State
    3) SAC - DeMarcus Cousins - C - Kentucky
    4) GSW - Derrick Favors - PF - Georgia Tech
    5) WAS - Cole Aldrich - C - Kansas
    6) PHI - Greg Monroe - PF/C - Georgetown
    7) DET - Ed Davis - PF - North Carolina

Nets pick needs no explanation. Minnesota could use either of the 2 bigs. But with them wanting Darko back, and it sounds like Nikola Peković is coming over from Europe next year, they wont have room for them when you include Love and Jefferson. If Jefferson and/or Love are traded before the draft, I would switch this to Cousins or Favors.

Sacramento needs a center. Hawes isn't horrible, but makes a better backup. Hard to take Favors with Landry on the team. Sacramento has a lot of young and talented bigs now.

Golden State needs a big and Favors will fit well there. He is athletic and can run the floor well with them. Picking Aminu here wouldn't shock me either.

The first shocker of the draft. Washington has a team full of chuckers. They need someone to do the dirty work of playing defense and rebounding. Aldrich can provide that. Him and Blatche make a nice combo at the 4/5, and very young. Aminu is the other option here.

Philadelphia cant really draft Aminu here. I don't really have a good feel here at all.

Ed Davis will block shots and rebound right away. He needs to add 20+ pounds of muscle. Needs to work on creating his own shot. Not a bad pick at 7.

I know people will say Aminu should be the pick if I still think he is on the board. I just think he would suffer in our slow it down offense. Plus, I am still not sure if he is a 3 or 4.
    Hard to argue with the first four. Makes a ton of sense for all those teams.

If New Jersey does end up the #1 pick, I would immediately make a call inquiring about Devin Harris. This is a good time to trade for him because he is coming off a down year.

ScrubBeaterUpper is offline MotownSports Fan

Where do you have Whiteside going?

Quote Originally Posted by ScrubBeaterUpper View Post
    Where do you have Whiteside going?
    I haven't really looked past the Pistons. Would love to hear your thoughts though.

Mr. Bigglesworth is offline MotownSports Fan

About the only good thing that comes out of ending up picking 7th is that it is pretty unlikely that the Pistons drop any more spots, simply because it is unlikely for anyone with the 8th pick or worse to get one of the first three picks.

ScrubBeaterUpper is offline MotownSports Fan

I haven't really looked past the Pistons. Would love to hear your thoughts though.
    Never seen him play a full game.

Only thing I would like to see would be a trade back up in the late first if Orton is available. He looked agile and strong when he scored those 3 pts a game.

No joke though, I want him.

The draft lottery will be May 18th.

Quote Originally Posted by sportz4life View Post
    Nice to know I'm good at something. yeah Evan Turner at 7..
    You are good at reading.

Page 8 of 34 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast